Smoked2MuchWeed's First Grow

Smoked2MuchWeed

420 Member
First grower here. Even though I am already about 4 weeks into this, I will post my pics that I do have with dates as well as all the info I have. Feeding and lights from seed to finish. I am going to lay it all out.

A little background on the strain, the seed, and how I went about this strain. The strain is called Oakland OG. This strain was a strain I found at a dispensary in Michigan. I ended up getting an OZ of the strain and fell in love with it. It is a typical kush strain. I love kush. I tried to Google the strain and wanted to buy the seeds since we were about to go legal. I could not find these seeds any where. Not even clones. I just so happened to find 1 seed in the bottom of that OZ that I bought. I was super pumped. Then, me being me, I started the whole process and here is my journey and my journal.

The process I am doing is Deep Water Culture (DWC). I choose this process because I wanted to do something with low overhead and low turn around. I have watched my girlfriend for years and her house plants. All the trips to menards or Walmart picking up soil. I just did not want to do that. I thought about recycling my soil. I felt that was to much work for me to do. So I started watching YouTube videos and found "insidehydro". He was doing a video on not using any soil, no coco coir, just a cloning collar and a 5 gallon bucket. The light bulb went off! Eureka!! That's what I want to do! I have used everything he has used as far as food. I use General hydroponics food. I use the 12 different products they have. Which in his videos he did not use that many. I tend to go over board sometimes. Those products are as follows:
1: FloraMicro
2: FloraGrow
3: FloraBloom
4: CaliMAGic
5: Floralicious Plus
6: Liquid KoolBloom
7: RapidStart
8: Ripen
9: Armor SI
10: FloraKleen
11: Purpinator
12: Terpinator

I am also using a 17 hour light cycle. Keeping the temperature around 75F degrees. Humidity is staying around 41 percent. I am growing in a 4x4 tent. I am using 5 gallon buckets I picked up at Menards with lids. I primed them with 2 coats and painted them black with 2 coats. I then cut a 2 and 3/4 in hole in the top of the lid with a hole saw because I have 3 inch cloning collars. I have 2 2 inch air stones plus a 8 inch air puck that is ran by an air pump I picked up at walmart in their pet department. The have air rails their and you can use them. I choose not to for this.

First grower here. Even though I am already about 4 weeks into this, I will post my pics that I do have with dates as well as all the info I have. Feeding and lights from seed to finish. I am going to lay it all out.

A little background on the strain, the seed, and how I went about this strain. The strain is called Oakland OG. This strain was a strain I found at a dispensary in Michigan. I ended up getting an OZ of the strain and fell in love with it. It is a typical kush strain. I love kush. I tried to Google the strain and wanted to buy the seeds since we were about to go legal. I could not find these seeds any where. Not even clones. I just so happened to find 1 seed in the bottom of that OZ that I bought. I was super pumped. Then, me being me, I started the whole process and here is my journey and my journal.

The process I am doing is Deep Water Culture (DWC). I choose this process because I wanted to do something with low overhead and low turn around. I have watched my girlfriend for years and her house plants. All the trips to menards or Walmart picking up soil. I just did not want to do that. I thought about recycling my soil. I felt that was to much work for me to do. So I started watching YouTube videos and found "insidehydro". He was doing a video on not using any soil, no coco coir, just a cloning collar and a 5 gallon bucket. The light bulb went off! Eureka!! That's what I want to do! I have used everything he has used as far as food. I use General hydroponics food. I use the 12 different products they have. Which in his videos he did not use that many. I tend to go over board sometimes. Those products are as follows:

I am also using a 17 hour light cycle. Keeping the temperature around 75F degrees. Humidity is staying around 41 percent. I am growing in a 4x4 tent. I am using 5 gallon buckets I picked up at Menards with lids. I primed them with 2 coats and painted them black with 2 coats. I then cut a 2 and 3/4 in hole in the top of the lid with a hole saw because I have 3 inch cloning collars. I have 2 2 inch air stones plus a 8 inch air puck that is ran by an air pump I picked up at walmart in their pet department. The have air rails their and you can use them. I choose not to for this.
11-30-2023 started seeds in RO water in a shot glass. Set them in a cool dark place.

11-30-2023 started seeds in RO water in a shot glass. Set them in a cool dark place.
12-1-2023 Seed was transferred to a damp paper towel and a zip lock bag and put back into the same place. From the first pic to the second pic was only 4 days.
20231203_061138.jpg

20231203_163346.jpg

20231204_162659.jpg

20231204_162659.jpg

12-15-2023 Water change and kept the feeding schedule the same.

20231215_203320.jpg

20231215_203342.jpg

20231215_203643.jpg

20231216_200123.jpg

20231216_200138.jpg
12-18-2023 Moved it to a 5 gallon pot. I messed up on the size of my saw verses the size of my cloning collar. The good part was I could fit my air hoses in the hole with the cloning collar to stabilize it. Bad news is it would let a lot of light in. So tin foil was my friend at this point. Same feeding schedule (aggressive feeding) and light schedule (17 hours)

20231219_075247.jpg

20231219_075253.jpg

20231219_164932.jpg

20231219_164938.jpg

12-18-2023 Moved it to a 5 gallon pot. I messed up on the size of my saw verses the size of my cloning collar. The good part was I could fit my air hoses in the hole with the cloning collar to stabilize it. Bad news is it would let a lot of light in. So tin foil was my friend at this point. Same feeding schedule (aggressive feeding) and light schedule (17 hours)

20231219_075247.jpg

20231219_075253.jpg

20231219_164932.jpg

20231219_164938.jpg
12-25-2023 Water change and feeding schedule moved to medium feeding. At this point I noticed dark tipped leaves and dropping leaves. I researched it and it basically said nitrogen over load. That was the reason for the drop in feed.

20231224_060941.jpg

20231224_174653.jpg

20231225_220741.jpg

20231229_084811.jpg

12-25-2023 Water change and feeding schedule moved to medium feeding. At this point I noticed dark tipped leaves and dropping leaves. I researched it and it basically said nitrogen over load. That was the reason for the drop in feed.

20231224_060941.jpg

20231224_174653.jpg

20231225_220741.jpg

20231229_084811.jpg
1-5-2024 I am still having the dark leaves. Did a water change. No feed. Just straight water. I will do another water change in 3 days and start on the lowest feeding General hydroponics has. In theory it should flush the plant enough then restart it so hopefully by then it got rid of some of the nitrogen. Other than the dark tip then plant is doing well. Huge root system. I can not even pull the ball through the hole anymore. I just swap buckets at this point.

20240101_172212.jpg

20240101_172225.jpg

20240105_064226.jpg

That's a hell of an opening for a first grow journal @Smoked2MuchWeed

I just flushed one of my soil plants last night.
When you flush in water you don't need to leave it in there like a regular solution change.

When I flush in DWC it is just a matter of changing the water for a couple hours and then doing it again with a mild solution around 600 ppm's. I use GH nutrients so I am very familiar with them; I just don't use all the fancy one, just

When I do DWC I normally change my solution once a week to prevent salt build up on the roots. Doing a flush with DWC is easy and fast. You said you are changing the solution every ten days? That is probably cause your issues.

I found your journal, so ask away, any question you may have.

Be safe and grow well my friend,
Tok..

edit: This is what I use.

5:
6:
8:
10:

Nice start :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

That's a hell of an opening for a first grow journal @Smoked2MuchWeed

I just flushed one of my soil plants last night.
When you flush in water you don't need to leave it in there like a regular solution change.

When I flush in DWC it is just a matter of changing the water for a couple hours and then doing it again with a mild solution around 600 ppm's. I use GH nutrients so I am very familiar with them; I just don't use all the fancy one, just

When I do DWC I normally change my solution once a week to prevent salt build up on the roots. Doing a flush with DWC is easy and fast. You said you are changing the solution every ten days? That is probably cause your issues.

I found your journal, so ask away, any question you may have.

Tok..

edit: This is what I use.
Should I change it more often or less often? The plant is looking good now that I have her in water. Still growing and I don't think it would do anything to her with RO water. I am around 140 ppm on my water. I plan on add nutrients tomorrow with a mild feeding.

Thanks for the compliment on the journal. This is my first grow. I want to document any and everything I can that I think will help me in the future. I over think a lot. My brain is a sponge for knowledge.

Okay, let's first get you on a level playing field were we both know what you are doing.

Ten day's is the maximum time between solutions change. I am not talking about adding water. Unless you are running some kind of reservoir, your water should be changed between 5 and 7 day's.

I flush between veg and flowering stage, for the roots and for maximum nutrient uptake.

How do you flush your plant and how?
What ppm's are you feeding her?
How old is she in days?
When you make your solutions do you check the ppm's for each additive?
Do you track bucket water temps?

A flush in DWC is normally only a couple hours and then change to a mild nutrients solution for a couple day's. If you are using a three part I can tell you were you want to be for maximin growth, but I need more details.

This is a start, let's talk.

Tok..

If you want to see example of a couple of my grow's checkout the Plant of the Year contests.

1-5-2024 I am still having the dark leaves. Did a water change. No feed. Just straight water.
I do not grow using water systems or methods but I am not sure that dropping the levels of fertilizer is the best thing to do since the water by itself will supply very little. The grower will have to provide for a steady supply of the nutrients.

As far as the deep green color to the leaves it is possible that there is too much nitrogen. But, some strains or phenotypes will naturally grow darker green leaves and you could be seeing the natural everyday color and not a problem from excess nitrogen in the water.

I do not grow using water systems or methods but I am not sure that dropping the levels of fertilizer is the best thing to do since the water by itself will supply very little. The grower will have to provide for a steady supply of the nutrients.

As far as the deep green color to the leaves it is possible that there is too much nitrogen. But, some strains or phenotypes will naturally grow darker green leaves and you could be seeing the natural everyday color and not a problem from excess nitrogen in the water.
Is it natural in DWC to also get curling down as well? I googled it nitrogen over load and that's what it kept coming up with. I even took a pic of the plant and searched it. Lol. By the way, that's how I found all of you guys. Google.

Thanks for the advice though. I really did not think like that. I was thinking I was over feeding it. I am giving it nutrients to grow bigger, taller, tasty, and just good stuff so and I went big when I think I should have started smaller. Less is sometimes better.

I fed her today. A light feeding. Ph is good. PPM are good. Everything is good. So I will now see if I have messed it up in any way since just giving it straight water for 2 days. Hopefully not 🤞🏻

Okay, let's first get you on a level playing field were we both know what you are doing.

Ten day's is the maximum time between solutions change. I am not talking about adding water. Unless you are running some kind of reservoir, your water should be changed between 5 and 7 day's.

I flush between veg and flowering stage, for the roots and for maximum nutrient uptake.

How do you flush your plant and how?
What ppm's are you feeding her?
How old is she in days?
When you make your solutions do you check the ppm's for each additive?
Do you track bucket water temps?

A flush in DWC is normally only a couple hours and then change to a mild nutrients solution for a couple day's. If you are using a three part I can tell you were you want to be for maximin growth, but I need more details.

This is a start, let's talk.

Tok..

If you want to see example of a couple of my grow's checkout the Plant of the Year contests.
Sorry for such a late response. Life got in the way the last couple of days.

To answer your questions I am going to number them so I dont confuse myself or get off track. Lol

1. As far as a flush goes I never have until this time. I had it in straight water for 3 days.

2. PPM reading on this last feeding were 755. PH was 5.5. EC was 1.5.

3. 41 day's old today.

4. No I don't. I just mix how it was suggested and check PPM and the end.

5. I do not track Temps on the bucket. I have a ink bird controlling an oil heater (since it's winter) and my exhaust fan. Stays a steady 75 in there. 40 percent humidity.

1-5-2024 I am still having the dark leaves. Did a water change. No feed. Just straight water. I will do another water change in 3 days and start on the lowest feeding General hydroponics has. In theory it should flush the plant enough then restart it so hopefully by then it got rid of some of the nitrogen. Other than the dark tip then plant is doing well. Huge root system. I can not even pull the ball through the hole anymore. I just swap buckets at this point.

20240101_172212.jpg

20240101_172225.jpg

20240105_064226.jpg

Did a water change and I also stared the Light feeding on General Hydroponics website. PH was sitting at a 5.5. PPM was at 755. EC strong 1.5. All in all the plant looks like it is flushed. Lightened up a bit.

I just hope I did not mess her up in anyway by doing this. If I did lesson learned. Yeah it will suck. But it will be a lesson I will never forget. Wish me luck!!!!

Screenshot_20240110-083433_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20240110-083429_Snapchat.jpg

20240110_071113.jpg

1-15-2023 light feeding still. Flushed her while I was feeding her. PPM 650, EC 1.3 and PH is at a 5.5. Root ball looks great. Getting bigger every time. All in all she looks good, smells good, and doing very well. I am happy with the way she is coming out.

I have challenged myself into seeing if I can slow her growth down a little and speed up on my little plants. In hopes that they catch up a little. So far since dropping the feeding and dropping the light from 50 percent to 25 percent, I do not see any negative effects.

20240115_181923.jpg

20240115_181949.jpg

Did a water change and I also stared the Light feeding on General Hydroponics website. PH was sitting at a 5.5. PPM was at 755. EC strong 1.5. All in all the plant looks like it is flushed. Lightened up a bit.

I just hope I did not mess her up in anyway by doing this. If I did lesson learned. Yeah it will suck. But it will be a lesson I will never forget. Wish me luck!!!!

Screenshot_20240110-083433_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20240110-083429_Snapchat.jpg

20240110_071113.jpg
Healthy and stocky and green. 🥰

1-21-2024 Still doing the light feeding. Flushed between mixing feed. Trimmed her up a little bit.

I have noticed that she is bushing out really well. I have not had to really cut on her. I am mainly just taking off the big fan leaves to try and keep her cool. It seems like when I do this she grows a node over night. It might just be me wishing. I dont know. Either way its all still working and I am going to keep it going.

20240115_182232.jpg

20240115_182410.jpg

1-29-2024
Still a light feeding. 1.7 EC, 863 PPM, 6.0 PH. Flushed again between. Also left her go. I did not trim or cut anything. Had to tie her up because she started to fall over. Not really needing to train. She is bushing on her own. Don't know if I got lucky or if it's the strain.

20240131_092921.jpg

20240129_004405.jpg

20240129_004655.jpg

20240131_205320.jpg

20240131_205309.jpg

Back
Top Bottom