Soil ventilation - fabric and plastic pots

XWeed

420 Member
Hi,

I am experimenting with soil/root zone ventilation and am growing w/ both plastic and fabric pots. From time to time I "massage" the pots from all sides until the soil cracks and losens up. Also, I recently installed a sort of a plastic fence underneath the pots, allowing for more airflow.
I really do not like having tons of moisture and watering whil still moist isn't what I'd like to do. As much as one waits, specialy in the seedling phase and growing in large pots from the start, only watering when the entire pot has dried out may prive the roots from getting any, while it is gathered at the lower portion of the pots.

My question is: does anyone have experience with soil ventilaition?
What am I missing?

4x4
light mix w/ 25% perlite
3 x Feminized Critical Kush
1 x Feminized Tangerine Kush
3 x Mimikry - regular
2 x Nino Tinto - regular
On a 18:6 schedule
Avg Temp: 20-21C
Avg RH: 55~62%
Today is day 17 since sprouting
1st feed(and for the next week or two):
Adanced nutrients Conosseur A+B (0,8ml/Lt)
Vodoo Juice 0,8mL/Lt + B52 also 0,8ml/Lt
No Bud Candy yet

Here are some before and after pics:
IMG_9295.JPG
IMG_9338.JPG

Hi,

I am experimenting with soil/root zone ventilation and am growing w/ both plastic and fabric pots. From time to time I "massage" the pots from all sides until the soil cracks and losens up. Also, I recently installed a sort of a plastic fence underneath the pots, allowing for more airflow.
I really do not like having tons of moisture and watering whil still moist isn't what I'd like to do. As much as one waits, specialy in the seedling phase and growing in large pots from the start, only watering when the entire pot has dried out may prive the roots from getting any, while it is gathered at the lower portion of the pots.

My question is: does anyone have experience with soil ventilaition?
What am I missing?

4x4
light mix w/ 25% perlite
3 x Feminized Critical Kush
1 x Feminized Tangerine Kush
3 x Mimikry - regular
2 x Nino Tinto - regular
On a 18:6 schedule
Avg Temp: 20-21C
Avg RH: 55~62%
Today is day 17 since sprouting
1st feed(and for the next week or two):
Adanced nutrients Conosseur A+B (0,8ml/Lt)
Vodoo Juice 0,8mL/Lt + B52 also 0,8ml/Lt
No Bud Candy yet

Here are some before and after pics:
IMG_9295.JPG
IMG_9338.JPG
Good morning my friend.
I use a layer of perlite about an inch thick to maintain air in my pots constantly.
Helps with root growth and health.
@Bill284 Method.
I have tons of pictorials explaining everything if your interested.

I also use Air Pots which helps roots.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Good morning my friend.
I use a layer of perlite about an inch thick to maintain air in my pots constantly.
Helps with root growth and health.
@Bill284 Method.
I have tons of pictorials explaining everything if your interested.

I also use Air Pots which helps roots.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thanks a lot @Bill284 , now in regards to loosening up the soil, do you see any disadvantage?
best
X

Hey!

I don't disturb roots once they're planted. I also don't use fabric pots indoors. I believe you get enough aeration with adding perlite. Fabric pots don't really do much other positive than their ease of use, storage and cleaning between runs. They make all the sense growing outdoors where the roots go and seek out the soil underneath the pots where the runoff goes.

It's easier to control where the runoff and water goes growing in soilless with plastic containers indoors. The feeding solution should be well aerated and that saturates the solution with enough dissolved oxygen for the plant to flourish, perlite is mostly used to better spread the solution in my book, especially growing in coco coir that by itself holds 22% air at full saturation. It's harder to have a short and fast feeding cycle growing in hydro and soilless with fabric pots since the pots have no waterproof edge to hold any amount of water before draining, overspill often happens. Drip feeders sort this issue.

I think you're missing out on feeding frequency and watering technique if you're just starting out. That and nutrient strength are the hardest ones to grasp starting out.

Welcome to the forum and all the best of luck in your growing endeavors! Cheers!

Hey!

I don't disturb roots once they're planted. I also don't use fabric pots indoors. I believe you get enough aeration with adding perlite. Fabric pots don't really do much other positive than their ease of use, storage and cleaning between runs. They make all the sense growing outdoors where the roots go and seek out the soil underneath the pots where the runoff goes.

It's easier to control where the runoff and water goes growing in soilless with plastic containers indoors. The feeding solution should be well aerated and that saturates the solution with enough dissolved oxygen for the plant to flourish, perlite is mostly used to better spread the solution in my book, especially growing in coco coir that by itself holds 22% air at full saturation. It's harder to have a short and fast feeding cycle growing in hydro and soilless with fabric pots since the pots have no waterproof edge to hold any amount of water before draining, overspill often happens. Drip feeders sort this issue.

I think you're missing out on feeding frequency and watering technique if you're just starting out. That and nutrient strength are the hardest ones to grasp starting out.

Welcome to the forum and all the best of luck in your growing endeavors! Cheers!
Thanks for your insights, specially on the downsides of fabric indoors.
I use a preassurized water container, so it comes out just like soda - phew, seems to have been a wise joice. On Nuts strenght: I am really taking it easy this time after loosing two crops due to N-toxicity, I guess (clawed like hell, almost black-dark-green, and no potency whatsoever...). The same goes to watering - since these are photos, I guess they are more forgiving.
Thanks for your time, again
Cheers
X

Just the 4x4 for a grow space? 9 plants in that space will be rough once you get the hang of things, lots of good folks here to get advice from.

From time to time I "massage" the pots from all sides until the soil cracks and losens up.

I'm of the "less is more" kind of thing philosophy, common to over think things in the beginning. Making changes to changes you made for changes you made gets harder to diagnose problems or a "create problems while chasing other problems that not always there ;) kind of thing. The old "if it ain't broke don't screw with it or it will be broke" :rofl:

I'm not around as much any more and haven't grown in a couple years now, my shed was bigger than a 4x4 but the footprint I used for my two lights was about 4x4 so extra space for plants to breath and they can't if you get too many going at once if limited on your space:

4 in that space was tighter, results varying to different strains/growers all the time make it hard to gauge accurately though :rofl:

Welcome aboard, like I said lots of good folks here that will get you steered in the right directions.
:peace::passitleft::Namaste:

When I first read about Airpots I was really taken with the aeration to the root idea, but Airpots and fabric pots weren't available back then in my rock in the sea, so I drilled out my plastic pots with lots of large holes, around and underneath, and made some landscape fabric liners to keep the soil from falling out and yet still breathe, I thought that they seemed to work well but who can tell without running controls etc. But now I have stopped using the pots and instead are growing in a trough with a couple of aeration layers in it like Bill but not as many, only 2, because I only had limited vertical room to play with.

Making changes to changes you made for changes you made gets harder to diagnose problems or a "create problems while chasing other problems that not always there ;) kind of thing.
Sound advice - I am tryig to exercise the "let it be" thing. The old me would have turned the current garden into a medival torture chamber full of hooks, wires and whatnot :)
Have a nice sunday
X

Back
Top Bottom