Some yellowing

That’s a lot of plant for only 5 gallons of soil. How long has it been in that container?

also noticed the tile floor…. kinda betting there is concrete slab under tile floor - it’s called a heat sink. An indoor concrete slab stays at 55 degrees in winter and jumps to 56 degrees in summer - some strains are more reactive to cold feet, could be the combo of cold feet / wet feet. Have you tried elevating it above the tile floor with wood blocks or milk crate? don’t use brick since it will absorb cool temp from the floor. Sitting on the floor there is definitely lack of air flow under the bucket.

also let’s check on your wet dry cycle thing. How many holes in bottom & what size holes are they? Recently saw a grower had half dozen 1/8 inch holes but problem was a droplet of water is bigger than 1/8 inch so it didn’t drain well at all.

How confident are you on your watering habits? How many days do you wait between watering sessions?

Maybe try this - tilt the bucket to steep 45 degree angle and prop it so it won’t roll or tumble. Leave it propped up for full 24 hours, bucket should pee some water out and reset water table to lower level. Take a pic of the puddlle and post it here.

chicks don’t like to sit in a wet puddle….. most likely it’s nutes etc and the yellow leaves will not turn green again but hopefully it won’t continue to spread,

Best of luck - keep us posted
in the 5 gal container? maybe 2 months - i'm not gonna go any bigger, they're too big already.

i did elevate them last year thinking it was too hot - made no difference so i just leave them on the floor without anything under - heat isn't the issue, i had the exact same yellowing indoors with mega crop

those are fabric pots

i'm confident in my water habits, like 9/10 confident, i've been doing a lot of research on watering the last few years, i water every other day.

definitely not an overwatering issue, if underwatering but that's also not the case, i weigh my pots so i know exactly when to water.

what if i just add more mega crop, would that help?

i'd have to disagree - canna terra (the soil i'm using) calls for 5.8 - 6.4 and i've never had issues at this range with other fertilizers, i'm always closer to 6.4 than 5.8 tho

i'm in veg.

none at the top, mostly middle-bottom

i'm looking to only run MG (less hassle, i wanna keep it simple), can i make the deficiency go away without adding stuff like cal mag etc?

PH is the driving factor for Nitrogen uptake. If your plants are yellowing lower down the plant is using up the lower fan leaves for N and other nutrients.

There are many factors that drive the plant to use up lower fans.

I generally dont worry about it. If I think I need to do something because the whole plant is slightly yellow or yellowing. I will add in some fish hydrolysate or kelp/ewc slurry or both over time.

Flushing is not a good thing in soil. Just water extra if you think you want to flush something. Reason is soil has CEC (cation exchange capacity). The CEC of soil creates a chemical bond with soil particles and nutrients. Water cannot break that bond. Root exudate and soil bacteria/fungi can break that bond and do it all the time.

also i would like to add - 2 out of 4 plants have the issue, despite being fed the exact same water, and the healthiest plant is the one that is in a undesized pot for it's size, so perhaps it is a nutrien def?
I'm trying to figure out your logic here. You think that your smallest pot, which has the healthiest plant in it ... somehow had more nutrients than the larger containers, so now you think the larger containers have a deficiency?

I'm trying to figure out your logic here. You think that your smallest pot, which has the healthiest plant in it ... somehow had more nutrients than the larger containers, so now you think the larger containers have a deficiency?
it's pretty simple - all plants were sprouted at around the same time. smallest pot= the plant will grow smaller and become rootbound faster, thus, the same amount of nutrients will go a long way as the plant isn't really growing a lot anymore.

so now you think the larger containers have a deficiency?
well ok what is it then? i don't know what else it could be other than a nutrient deficiency, it definitely isn't a heat or watering issue. and likely not ph related as i always ph my water

Plants burn off fan leaves for the nutrients they need that are stored in the fans.

If those fans that are burning off are not useful the plant will get rid of them.

Your pics look like that's what's happening. Maybe you need more light?

If a plants leaves are not performing up to expectations (photosynthesis) the plant will burn it off. It's easier to mobilize nutrients from leaves than it is for the plant to bring those nutrients up from the soil.

Your green leaves look fine... so its not a lockout of some sort or the whole plant would look affected.

I take a wait and see approach. The plants aren't dying...

Plants burn off fan leaves for the nutrients they need that are stored in the fans.

If those fans that are burning off are not useful the plant will get rid of them.

Your pics look like that's what's happening. Maybe you need more light?

If a plants leaves are not performing up to expectations (photosynthesis) the plant will burn it off. It's easier to mobilize nutrients from leaves than it is for the plant to bring those nutrients up from the soil.

Your green leaves look fine... so its not a lockout of some sort or the whole plant would look affected.

I take a wait and see approach. The plants aren't dying...
light? definitely not the issue, they get plenty

i'm gonna do a flush today and try to stick to exactly what the mg calculator says

it's pretty simple - all plants were sprouted at around the same time. smallest pot= the plant will grow smaller and become rootbound faster, thus, the same amount of nutrients will go a long way as the plant isn't really growing a lot anymore.

well ok what is it then? i don't know what else it could be other than a nutrient deficiency, it definitely isn't a heat or watering issue. and likely not ph related as i always ph my water
If the plant in the smallest pot is the healthiest one, it is unlikely to be rootbound. (I could be wrong, hard to say without pics) But if it is the healthiest one, and it is also the one getting less food (smaller pot holds less = less food), then you should probably take that as a clue, and reduce the food you are giving the other plants. You said yourself you are feeding more than the recommended amount, and I believe the yellowing is the result of that.

Also, I don't know if MC is completely good without adding any Cal-mag - I definitely had to use some with mine. It may depend on what is in your water.

If the plant in the smallest pot is the healthiest one, it is unlikely to be rootbound. (I could be wrong, hard to say without pics) But if it is the healthiest one, and it is also the one getting less food (smaller pot holds less = less food), then you should probably take that as a clue, and reduce the food you are giving the other plants. You said yourself you are feeding more than the recommended amount, and I believe the yellowing is the result of that.

Also, I don't know if MC is completely good without adding any Cal-mag - I definitely had to use some with mine. It may depend on what is in your water.
how do i go about increasing feed? i'm gonna stick to the calculator for now, but i wanna maximize my plants so i need to feed as much as i can without causing burn. how do i go about that?

i just don't understand - my leaves are yellowing, how can that be overfeeding????

how do i go about increasing feed? i'm gonna stick to the calculator for now, but i wanna maximize my plants so i need to feed as much as i can without causing burn. how do i go about that?

i just don't understand - my leaves are yellowing, how can that be overfeeding????
I think sticking to the calculator is the best bet here, and ... that is the whole point of the calculator, so that you can feed the plant the max to make it grow healthy and big.

As for the how, do some research on the term 'lockout' and or 'mulder's chart' - I don't know which thing is locking out what else, but that is what I believe is happening.

I use MC. You are at the high end for feeding.

I usually don't go that high.
Do you know what you were actually feeding them? This is vague.
i'm using their calculator, however, i'm always feeding more than what they recommend rn because i'm getting nutrient deficiency, can't seem to make it go away.
I know you said 15g/10 ltr. In my world that's 5.7 g/gallon. I usually cut off at 5.5. Is this the most you fed?

Your plants have pretty dark green leaves. That makes me think it isn't n def. Makes me think it's something else.
pH is off? Looks almost like a mag and sulfur def. Not saying that's what it is 100%. Still trying to decide.

When did you last calibrate your pH pen?
You giving MC with every feed?
Seems like you are watering a lot. Every other day?

Do the yellow leaves fall off really easily if you just barely touch them or does it take some force to remove them?

I use MC. You are at the high end for feeding.

I usually don't go that high.
Do you know what you were actually feeding them? This is vague.

I know you said 15g/10 ltr. In my world that's 5.7 g/gallon. I usually cut off at 5.5. Is this the most you fed?

Your plants have pretty dark green leaves. That makes me think it isn't n def. Makes me think it's something else.
pH is off? Looks almost like a mag and sulfur def. Not saying that's what it is 100%. Still trying to decide.

When did you last calibrate your pH pen?
You giving MC with every feed?
Seems like you are watering a lot. Every other day?

Do the yellow leaves fall off really easily if you just barely touch them or does it take some force to remove them?
ph is good, i always water with the right ph

i calibrate my pen every 2 weeks

yes every feed

i water every other day

some of the yellow leaves fall on their own - some it takes little to no force to remove em, and it's weird - the leave is still full of nutrients in it, they don't fall once they're all used up and dry, they often fall too early...

I think sticking to the calculator is the best bet here, and ... that is the whole point of the calculator, so that you can feed the plant the max to make it grow healthy and big.

As for the how, do some research on the term 'lockout' and or 'mulder's chart' - I don't know which thing is locking out what else, but that is what I believe is happening.
well but the calculator can only get so close? it depends on strain, soil, light, there is so many factors the calculator doesn't take into account....

Back
Top Bottom