Nutrient deficiency or what?

purplebuds

420 Member
i always seem to get these nutrient deficiency toward the end of flowering, as well as the bottom fan leaves drying up.

strain: special queen

soil: terra canna pro

nutrients: mega crop 16g/10L as per mega crop's calculator.

water: every few days now as it's not very hot, in the summer every other day or so, i water when the soil is dry and water until the soil is saturated.

outdoors.

pots are fabric pots 7gal.

ph of feed around 5.5-6.8 ( i use ph drops)

week 8 of flowering (RQS calls for 8-9 weeks), i'm gonna do as long as the weather lets me, many of the buds still have clear tricomes

i still get good harvest's and good weed like this, but i would like to get rid of these deficiencies to make my weed that much better.

photo_2022-10-28_14-44-15.jpg

photo_2022-10-28_14-44-17.jpg

photo_2022-10-28_14-44-21.jpg

photo_2022-10-28_14-44-22.jpg

Untitledfsds.png

Welcome to the group.

Looks like an outdoor grow well on its way.

week 8 of flowering (RQS calls for 8-9 weeks), i'm gonna do as long as the weather lets me, many of the buds still have clear tricomes
Do you remember the date of when the first pistils started showing up. For the most part that does not look like it has hit the 8 week mark yet. Looks like you will need some more time for the flowers to finish.

i always seem to get these nutrient deficiency toward the end of flowering, as well as the bottom fan leaves drying up.
It could be a deficiency. There is the possibility that you are also seeing signs of an over dose of some nutrients.

Some of the members are really good at figuring out what is going on when they can see a photograph or two. What would help is if you can give a photograph showing more of the plant so we can get an idea of what some of these damaged areas look like in relation to the whole plant. Plus it will help if we can see the area near the bottom where the fan leaves are drying up. Just backing up several feet till most of the plant is in the photo should do it.

looks a little like a mag ask. the plant will consume some of the fans it doesn't need in flower. it's more pronounced in a bucket grow. the plant is stripping the leaves of the nutrients. some is ok, but you don't want it all over too early.

i usually run a little bit of calmag with MC in flower. that is in an indoor grow under led though, i normally wouldn't expect it outdoor, even in buckets.

I
Looking like a cal-mag or potassium deficiency. Leaning toward potassium, just because in a couple of pictures there’s browning on the margins and between the lateral veins on some of the leaves, but it could be either (or both).
I can up the dosage of mc without getting nutrient burn, should i do so?

You could, but it is dependent on what's causing the deficiency. If it's a lack of nutes/cal-mag, then it should work, if it's a deficiency caused by a nutrient lockout, then it will probably get worse and you will need to perform a 3x the volume of the pot flush with fresh water to clear out the accumulated salts. Then go back to normal feeding.

You could, but it is dependent on what's causing the deficiency. If it's a lack of nutes/cal-mag, then it should work, if it's a deficiency caused by a nutrient lockout, then it will probably get worse and you will need to perform a 3x the volume of the pot flush with fresh water to clear out the accumulated salts. Then go back to normal feeding.
That's my issue. I wanna maximize the amount of fertilizer i use to maximize harvest.

But it's so hard considering Lockout and underfeeding can look the same.....

a pic of the entire plant would go a long way. there's piles of things that could be going on. diagnosing by just a leaf or two is the same as tossing a blind dart.

a pic of the entire plant would go a long way. there's piles of things that could be going on. diagnosing by just a leaf or two is the same as tossing a blind dart.
Also took pics of tricomes, do you guys think she's ready for harvest? Or should i give it a week or 2 more? Weather is starting to get cold

IMG_20221102_152941.jpg

IMG_20221102_152938.jpg

IMG_20221102_152935.jpg

IMG_20221102_152826.jpg

IMG_20221102_152818.jpg

IMG_20221102_152813.jpg

IMG_20221102_152808.jpg

IMG_20221102_152803.jpg

IMG_20221102_152755.jpg

Also I'd like to add i always get something line this when they're near the end of flower.

Never affected the harvest potency or quantity...

But it would be nice to know for sure what's causing it

what are your temps ? you might be running more in to weather than anything else. it kinda looks like the plant ran out of bucket too. outdoor plants can outgrow the containers if they have enough time.

most outdoor plants never look pic perfect at the end either.

it also looks like it's just at the end. if you're running the full mc amount you might be a bit hot. mc gets dicey at the very end. i generally drop it back and run it with a booster and some calmag in flower. i've run it hot in the past as well.

it's a good idea to run mc on a f/f/w schedule in soil type mixes.

i see you've also got mites or thrips or something. look at second last pic at the bottom.

if the weather and issues are piling up, it might be best to pull it early. it's close but maybe a couple wks out. there's a few amber but mostly milk and clear. the plant could use the time but you may get mold hanging on too long. piles will depend on your climate.

If you've been nuting each time I'm thinking overdose/lockout could be highly likely.. it's probably better to alternate, feed with nutes, next time just water (ph'd) that way you dissolve any of the leftover nutes and then next time water with nutes again.

You do have a lot of frost so that's jeej!
My issue with this is that it's extremely inaccurate.

If you are growing in 40c, you water almost everyday, right now it's cold, and im watering once or twice a week.

Also, i never have issues in early flower and veg, despite watering with nutes EVERYDAY.

Here im doing it once or twice a week because cold temps, so overall they're getting much less nutes in a phase which requires more usually? (Flower)

what are your temps ? you might be running more in to weather than anything else. it kinda looks like the plant ran out of bucket too. outdoor plants can outgrow the containers if they have enough time.

most outdoor plants never look pic perfect at the end either.

it also looks like it's just at the end. if you're running the full mc amount you might be a bit hot. mc gets dicey at the very end. i generally drop it back and run it with a booster and some calmag in flower. i've run it hot in the past as well.

it's a good idea to run mc on a f/f/w schedule in soil type mixes.

i see you've also got mites or thrips or something. look at second last pic at the bottom.

if the weather and issues are piling up, it might be best to pull it early. it's close but maybe a couple wks out. there's a few amber but mostly milk and clear. the plant could use the time but you may get mold hanging on too long. piles will depend on your climate.
The plant isn't root bound, 7gal container, last year 5gal didn't get rootbound so....

Temps are from 20c day to 7c at night

I always have spidermites, not an issue as in veg i spray pesticide and in flower they die due to cold temps and dont spread to the buds...

I'm pretty confident i can to another week or 2 without getting mold... Weather is surprisingly good this year

Should i keep feeding just water for the remaining time?

The plant isn't root bound, 7gal container, last year 5gal didn't get rootbound so....

i've root bound both indoor so it's not out of the realm. it would have to be a pretty big plant.

Temps are from 20c day to 7c at night

root zone temp is more important. exposed buckets outdoor fair worse than a ground plant. once you hit 13c ambient outdoor air temp, the plant stalls. your temps are definitely at end, and i would expect to see it dropping, or consuming leaves.

I always have spidermites, not an issue as in veg i spray pesticide and in flower they die due to cold temps and dont spread to the buds...

lol, they get everywhere. if possible i'd do a bud wash after chop. you can search it here. i smoked loads of outdoor. it's not a snob thing, it's just an exposure you need to be aware of as a grower.

I'm pretty confident i can to another week or 2 without getting mold... Weather is surprisingly good this year
nice.

check your watering a touch as well. they won't consume so much when it's cooler. hit the linky.

i've root bound both indoor so it's not out of the realm. it would have to be a pretty big plant.

root zone temp is more important. exposed buckets outdoor fair worse than a ground plant. once you hit 13c ambient outdoor air temp, the plant stalls. your temps are definitely at end, and i would expect to see it dropping, or consuming leaves.

lol, they get everywhere. if possible i'd do a bud wash after chop. you can search it here. i smoked loads of outdoor. it's not a snob thing, it's just an exposure you need to be aware of as a grower.

nice.

check your watering a touch as well. they won't consume so much when it's cooler. hit the linky.
What do you mean by dropping?

Because the branches are "dropping" but i tho it was the weight of the buds causing the branches to look droppy

About hitting 13c, do you mean AVERAGE temp? Because we're not quite there yet...

I always bud wash. I've never had mites invade the buds, for real.

When it was hot i could clearly see spider mites under the leaves, i never spotted any on the buds, as I've said i think it might be temps. I stop spraying pesticide when they start flowering. And it's also when temperatures start dropping

I read on other forums of people letting them flower in colder temperatures...

I'm saying this because my plan was to let them grow longer this year, last year i harvested around this time because weather got cloudy and rainy. But rn it's looking good.

I just wanna try to let the tricomes become cloudy as supposedly it should give a heavier high and stuff...

I was never able to get then to go all cloudy or amber. Yet the weed was always good. But you know, im always looking for that extra bit of improvement

Back
Top Bottom