Super Skunk, is this a deficiency?

Tal420

This Super Skunk photo is 30 days old, growing in BioBizz lightmix soil + 30% perlite.

So far I only fed her 3 times with half the recommended dose of BioGrow. Water pH is around 6.2 after adding nutrients, and ppm is around 700. It's in an 8ltr pot and I water her around 0.5L every 3 to 4 days when the soil is almost completely dry.

Darker veins in fan leaves were evident from day 1, so I wasn't too worried at first. Now I'm seeing a bit of clawing and slightly burnt tips as well.

I'm also growing a White Widow and a Laughing Buddha in the same environment and parameters. They are both growing healthy with no sign of any deficiency whatsoever.

Is this some sort of deficiency that I can address? Picture is from today, I watered her yesterday.

20220421_234312.jpg

Normally, clawing/burnt leaf tips are signs of excess N. The leaves also have a "puffy" look to, them, which is often a sign of too much water, but it sounds like you're watering correctly. In looking at the Biobizz light ingredients it says the mix is "highly fertilized", so maybe it's just getting too many nutes.

As much as I try to avoid it, I tend to over water a bit every now and then :)

When it comes to nutrients I was quite conservative so far, starting with 1/8 of the recommended dose and only went up to 1/2 the recommended dose on the 3rd feed.

Today I fed her a full dose for the first time before reading your answer. I will see if it gets worse over the next few days. If it does, I may try to flush the soil. Never done a flush before but theres always the first time :)

As much as I try to avoid it, I tend to over water a bit every now and then :)

When it comes to nutrients I was quite conservative so far, starting with 1/8 of the recommended dose and only went up to 1/2 the recommended dose on the 3rd feed.

Today I fed her a full dose for the first time before reading your answer. I will see if it gets worse over the next few days. If it does, I may try to flush the soil. Never done a flush before but theres always the first time :)
Good morning @Tal420 Hope you are well my friend.
Beautiful lady sorry about the issue.
You might have 2 problems.
First by now you should have been feeding full strength nutrients.
Most soil is only good for a couple weeks.
Full strength nutrients at 6.3 ph.
Let her dry right out after dry dry dry.
Then plain water at 6.3 ph.
Then dry again, dry dry.
Feed full strength according to the schedule at 6.3.
Dry
Water at 6.3
Dry
You get the picture :thumb:
Here is a thread if you want to start a journal we will follow along and help.
And this one is if you want to say hi and meet everyone.

And check this thread on watering, good info will help you.
Actually 2

Stay safe
Bill

Good afternoon @Bill284 :)

Thanks for the links! I will try the feedind/watering schedule suggested and see how it goes. Hopefully it's not stunted and will recover nicely.
It will be Awsome don't fret. :thumb:
No permanent damage.

Stay safe
Bill

The color in your plant looks good. You are feeding OK in my book judging by leaf color. Only thing I see is puffiness due to overwatering. Let that pot dry out completely before you feed again & things will look much better.
What I noticed is that the color is not solid, it tends to be darker in the middle.
Regarding puffiness, can it also have to do with humidity levels in my tent? I'm hovering around 50% rh at the moment. What I noticed is that irrespective of the the watering schedule I follow, autos or photos, my plants are always puffy until they get into the 4th or 5th week.

It must be something habitual that I'm doing :)

I think once you clear up the over watering issue the leaves will change color. During Veg you need to let the pots dry completely before watering again. The top of the soil might look completely dry, but the water in the bottom hasn't dried out yet. This can cause root damage if it stays too moist for too long. So you need that wet / dry cycle so the roots have time to get some needed air. The best way to know when to water is by the weight of the pot. Pick up a pot of soil while it's dry & then one that you watered. It should feel like the one that's dry before you feed again. You can also go by the leaves. Wait till the leaves are drooping some & then feed. My plants droop every 2 days & I feed 1.25 gal to each, but they are 11 weeks old. My guess is the over watering is the habitual thing.

it's all covered correct.
over water condition. the underfeed look is deceptive as the nutes get washed thru in the over water. correct for the over water and it may like a small bump when it settles.

there's a touch of tipping and slight bit of claw, suggesting things are close nute wise, just maybe watered in too often.

curious : what size bag are you in ?

at 30 days i'm feeding. i'm betting it's hungry when it dries out. i'd sorta do what @Bill284 is leaning to, dry it up then feed it at mid to full veg strength.

curious : what size bag are you in ?

at 30 days i'm feeding. i'm betting it's hungry when it dries out. i'd sorta do what @Bill284 is leaning to, dry it up then feed it at mid to full veg strength.
Thats an 8L bag. The plant is 31 days old. The plann is to top it once it grows the 7th node which is currently growing, wait for it to recover and repot in a 19L. Then to a 30L before I switch to 12/12.

I started feeding 1/8 dose at 21 days, then 1/4 feed at 28 days, and 2 days ago the first full feed, 2ml/ltr of Biogrow.

Btw, please say hi to her neighbours :) White Widow and my all time favourite, the Laughing Buddha!

Today they both got topped and defoliated a pair of fan leaves. Pics are from before and after the topping.

The Super Skunk is 1 node behind, so it can wait a few more days before it gets topped. Hopefully it will be in agood shape to handle it.

20220424_003518.jpg

20220424_003526.jpg

20220424_003532.jpg

20220424_004549.jpg

20220424_004130.jpg

20220424_004409.jpg

really clean grow.
8L is a bit tiny. standard size is usually a 20L / 5 gal. in an 8L i would have flipped by now. you may run in to root issues when you don't want them in flower.

i probably would run 12 / 12 all through in an 8L.

@Tal420 Nice plants! What I'm seeing is smallish pot and heavy feeding. I'm currently growing a plant (clone) that showed similar weird curl in the leaf tips, and some leaf deformation, when it was about the size/age as your plant...

1650778929880.png

I was pretty freaked out about it, because I had other plants next to it from the same clone batch, growing in the same soil and conditions, and those were all normal. I decided that the plant in question had gotten an overdose of ferts when I first watered, so I decided to flush it for a while. This worked great, and soon the new growth was all normal. Another factor... I also realized the plant was a pheno I knew was a very vigorous grower, so while it's companions were still OK in 1 gal. pots, this fast grower needed up potting asap.

really clean grow.
8L is a bit tiny. standard size is usually a 20L / 5 gal. in an 8L i would have flipped by now. you may run in to root issues when you don't want them in flower.

i probably would run 12 / 12 all through in an 8L.
Thanks for the tips as always.

I always go through 3 pot sizes when doing photos. Seedling to first topping in the 8L, then move to a 20L one for the rest of vegging, then 2 weeks before flipping lights to 12/12 I repot it in an even bigger one, usually 30 to 35L.

Am I overdoing it with repotting, or is just my timing not right? I am planning to keep them vegging for another 8 weeks :eek:. I have autos flowering in the same tent and need them to finish flowering first. In the meantime photos will be topped again when they grow 3 or 4 new nodes.

I never grew autos before, especially together with photos, so my timing may not be ideal, but I'm aiming to grow the photos as much as I can in the meantime.

@Tal420 Nice plants! What I'm seeing is smallish pot and heavy feeding. I'm currently growing a plant (clone) that showed similar weird curl in the leaf tips, and some leaf deformation, when it was about the size/age as your plant...

1650778929880.png

I was pretty freaked out about it, because I had other plants next to it from the same clone batch, growing in the same soil and conditions, and those were all normal. I decided that the plant in question had gotten an overdose of ferts when I first watered, so I decided to flush it for a while. This worked great, and soon the new growth was all normal. Another factor... I also realized the plant was a pheno I knew was a very vigorous grower, so while it's companions were still OK in 1 gal. pots, this fast grower needed up potting asap.
Thanks @cbdhemp808 !

Coming to think of it, I did over feed once at the beginning. Did you just water it with no nutes for a couple of times? Or did you do a full soil flush?

Back
Top Bottom