Strange pH problem?

Phillipallman

Hi guys so I received my 3 in 1 mositure ph and light tester earlier so I checked all my plants and all of them are at the right moisture but 2 of them are showing a phone between 6-7 and the other one is between 5-6 more towards 5 I think lol they all use tap water and the same soil just confused on what to do now

Re: Strange ph problem ???

What kind of soil are you using? Some will self adjust depending on its contents.

I don't think I'd worry to much about soil ph unless your organic. Measure ph of water/nutes going in and good soilless medium will adjust to the proper range. 5.7-5.8ph in is what I use in PROMIX hp.

I'm using a mix of 50% store plain soil and 50% miracle grow in 5 gallon fabric pots using tap water under hps lights so will they just self adjust ?? Thought the ideal ph was between 6-7

I know miracle grow isn't the best hence why I only mixed 50% to save money on nutes further down the line

I'm not sure what miracle grow is considered (soil/soiless) let's assume its soil and you need to keep it at 6.5 (6-6.8)for best results. If it's soilless and you HAVE to add nutrients to your waterings you want to aim closer to 6 (5.5-6.1)

Certain nutrients will be locked out on each end of the ranges listed, using a soil that self corrects (I believe perlite does this or maybe lime) will make watering much easier. Mix up your food and water and start on the lower end and your plants will be able to enjoy all of the nutrients as your medium brings the ph up from say 5.7 to almost 7.

Not sure what to advise regarding MG soil. I'd say try and ph your water to 6 or so, if the soil reads higher then it is just adjusting to the range it requires to provide food most efficiently.

Miracle grow is soil and has built in nutrition that releases slowly over time so I don't have to buy extra nutes to add to it thought it would save money just don't understand how 2 plants ph is correct 6-7 and one is 5-6 hope it won't kill them

I don't think MG is the problem. My bet is, your PH meter isn't correct. Every one of those combo PH, light, and moisture meters I've ever seen has been useless. I'd get rid of it before you start trying to fix things that are not broken. Do you see PH-related problems with your plants?

If you want a simple and effective time release fert, try Osmocote+.

I've read many bad reviews of those soil multi meters aswell, the reviews prevented me from buying 12 of them and I just stuck to ph-img my nutrient solution and ignoring the runoff ph. I'd assume MG has some sort of buffer in it to keep it at the proper ph range.

I don't think MG is the problem. My bet is, you PH meter isn't correct. Every one of those combo PH, light, and moisture meters I've ever seen has been useless. I'd get rid of it before you start trying to fix things that are not broken. Do you see PH-related problems with your plants?

If you want a simple and effective time release fert, try Osmocote+.

Hi pita this is my first grow but I don't see any problems except slight nute burn on the tips from the miracle grow apart from that they are growing well nice and green with a slight yellow hint as they are new leaves I think about 2 weeks old 4 to 6 leaves now

I don't think MG is the problem. My bet is, you PH meter isn't correct. Every one of those combo PH, light, and moisture meters I've ever seen has been useless. I'd get rid of it before you start trying to fix things that are not broken. Do you see PH-related problems with your plants?

Yeah those 3 in one soil testers are just for decoration ( in your garbage can after you fling it there).
MG soil brings up constant issues for people growing in it, from the time release nutrients in it.
It may or may not have ph problems. Sort of sounds like it's the meter though.
If you're not getting ph related issues then forget about the soil ph. Otherwise- buy better soil, or you can try mixing in dolomite lime to the mg to stabilize it, but that might be like trying to polish a turd.
Some people have grown in MG and done ok, so you could search them out. I've never tried it. Soil is fairly cheap generally compared to all the work and other costs that go into the grow- so it seems like the bottom of the barrel variety could be avoided?

Yeah those 3 in one soil testers are just for decoration ( in your garbage can after you fling it there).
MG soil brings up constant issues for people growing in it, from the time release nutrients in it.
It may or may not have ph problems. Sort of sounds like it's the meter though.
If you're not getting ph related issues then forget about the soil ph. Otherwise- buy better soil, or you can try mixing in dolomite lime to the mg to stabilize it, but that might be like trying to polish a turd.
Some people have grown in MG and done ok, so you could search them out. I've never tried it. Soil is fairly cheap generally compared to all the work and other costs that go into the grow- so it seems like the bottom of the barrel variety could be avoided?

Well it cost me 120 for 500 litres of soil as I have a lot of plants going down ill try and upload pics but it's a pain

I live in a remote spot so things are more expensive here- but the growing medium is the least of my expenses. Equipment and power bills cost a lot. And I put a lot of time in. I'd hate to be going to all the work of doing this if my basic soil mix was causing me issues.

Back
Top Bottom