Subscription & Email Notification Issues

Amy, did you try overlord's "unwatch" - "watch" trick to get email notifications going for thread subscriptions prior to the import? If so, did it work? Has anyone else tried? I'm working with the developer to see if we can run a script to do this for everyone at once.

No, because I have always had email notification off. (I just asked him for the specifics in case someone else asked me)

Maybe try @AKgramma she was one person wrangling the problem...

We'll be sending out a newsletter to everyone, as soon as we get all of these issues resolved and the newsletter script re-written. Hopefully tomorrow our developers can get the subscription email notifications working again for everyone's prior subscriptions, without having to do anything. Thank you for all your help Amy, we are truly grateful. :Namaste:

The loss of my contacts by email with this new site has greatly dampened my enthusiasm. Even if I DO manage to activate the emails of my watched threads, I only get a few from one or two of them. I have had to keep going into the list of watched threads, selecting all, and activating emails. It doesn't seem to stick.

Yes, I know the admins are working on quite a few of the quirks because of the loss of the original developer. So I can't blame my decreasing enthusiasm for growing on just the lack of communication among members, although before the switch, it was the community interaction that kept me interested, when the family stopped using my crop.

I miss my friends and mentors.......:(

The loss of my contacts by email with this new site has greatly dampened my enthusiasm. Even if I DO manage to activate the emails of my watched threads, I only get a few from one or two of them. I have had to keep going into the list of watched threads, selecting all, and activating emails. It doesn't seem to stick.

Yes, I know the admins are working on quite a few of the quirks because of the loss of the original developer. So I can't blame my decreasing enthusiasm for growing on just the lack of communication among members, although before the switch, it was the community interaction that kept me interested, when the family stopped using my crop.

I miss my friends and mentors.......:(

@AKgramma try this:

Go to your watched threads
open each one of them individually
on the right, above the 1st post select unwatch.
then turn right around and watch the post again.

I tried selecting and checking email on the watched thread page like you. I had the exact same experience.
by rewatching each thread, I now get email notifications like expected.

Please let us know how this works for you on this thread as @420 is trying to verify the method works.
Thanks

I'm getting emails from my own and this thread more regularly now, but nothing yet from the forums of Sue, Tead, Weaselcracker, Pennywize, and a couple others I rewatched with email.

I just had a thought @AKgramma - I noticed when I returned to the site after the launch, that I had to "follow" people before I got post notifications from their thread, even if I was "watching" their thread. I was like, hmmm, I've always subscribed, why do I need to follow? But then it just occured to me, like most social network platforms, we have to "follow" someone before we get their posts.

I wonder if you could just hover over your friends names and check to see if you're "following" them. If not, click "follow" then try to "watch" their thread. Then that might open the gateway to receive notifications from that particular author. Perhaps this will help you reunite with your important journals you want to follow. If not, ooops, I just know this will get worked out somehow. Thanks for letting me brainstorm...:peace:

Is everybody getting email notifications from subscribed threads from before the change, like ones from last year?

...Getting some today, but not like yesterday...couple other peeps mentioned the same. today as well...no biggie really...between alerts and watched threads, its easy to stay current...cheerz...h00k...:rollit:

I think maybe having a browser window open to the site might be preventing email alerts and maybe even the alert icon at the top. I’ve been trying to remember to close all windows when I’m done and seem to have had better luck with getting emails at least.

I have a question, but it's somewhat convoluted.

Does the "mark forums read" button mark ALL threads as read, or just what is listed on the new threads list?

I'm wondering if there are new threads I'm missing because they were posted after I called up the unread list, and getting marked read.

Does that make sense??? I hope so. Let me know if you can decypher that.....

Testing whether that function marks everything is read might require someone to be brave enough to just do it and see what happens...

Cant be me, I’m in transit today.

Does seem like it’d be global though.

I think maybe having a browser window open to the site might be preventing email alerts and maybe even the alert icon at the top. I’ve been trying to remember to close all windows when I’m done and seem to have had better luck with getting emails at least.
That’s an interesting theory Doob (I love doobs). If people who like email notifications get the chance, testing ng this would be great, because if that’s what’s behind the intermittent nature of emails that some are experiencin it would be quite fixable I think.

I get new alerts with a window open. Just for information (I'm in Firefox on a PC).

I get new alerts with a window open. Just for information (I'm in Firefox on a PC).

New alerts are queued, but the red flag isn't raised when my browser (Chrome) is open on this site. Mail notifications come in normally.

...Getting some today, but not like yesterday...couple other peeps mentioned the same. today as well...no biggie really...between alerts and watched threads, its easy to stay current...cheerz...h00k...:rollit:
What I need to know specifically, is if you guys are getting email notifications to threads subscribed to before the changes. Some people are complaining about not getting email notifications, so we need to determine if they got lost in the import or not. Can I please get some volunteers to make posts on each other's old threads to see if they are resulting in email notifications or not. To be specific, reply to posts that are from 2017, that should do the trick. :thanks:

Scenario: checking out email notifications on pre 2018 threads.
Platform: IpadII and safari

My situation is that I have always had email notifications turned off. Assumption that all my subscribed threads were migrated with that option off and the few I've looked at confirm this.

This may be common knowledge or a tip: To turn on email notification for a single thread, what I did was to first click 'unwatch', confirm that, then click 'watch' then choose the email notification option.

(Is there another path / way to do this?)

I've turned it on for several usually busy threads. If someone could go post something in the Study Hall right now that would be great.

Thanks Amy.

Hi guys i can create some new posts. Where?

You'll need to do it with someone, bump a thread from 2017 that your friend is subscribed to and see if he gets the email notification. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom