Hey SweetSue,
I'm confused. I have not messed with the pressure cooker so I'm trying to just follow along mentally. So you are recommending doing the extraction in a regular pot of some kind and then straining the plant out and THEN put the oil in the pressure cooker to decarb. First, I'm having a hard time envisioning the plant mtl "frying in the oil". What temp are you talking about in the cooker? I don't understand why it would hurt it at all. That being said, I don't know why it would be necessary to have the plant in there at that point cause there should not be anything in there to decarb anyway. So, those of you experimenting with pressure; are you simply trying to decarb with it or are you doing an extraction? I need a little clarification in case Canyon wants to play with that.

First off, here's a link to Cannafan's exquisite tutorial on loading pictures into the gallery and then posting them to a thread.

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Now to answer your questions.

The decarb is done in the pressure cooker, simply by placing the wet buds into the loosely-capped jars. When decarb is done the plant material is blended with the olive oil and placed into a hot water bath for two hours, stirring as often as you think of it. You're simply infusing the oil from this point.

There's no real concern with frying the plant material in the oil, but there is a real danger of burning the oil and destroying the cannabinoids if you're not careful with the process, though to be honest you'd have to be so negligent that it's not likely to happen to anyone. We don't use the MB2 to make CCO for this very reason, it can burn the oil.

Now, you can also both decarb and extract in the pressure cooker if you use PsyCro's directions, which are found at the beginning of the FHO thread. I hesitate to recommend that process because I'm not convinced that we get enough of the water out, but then I haven't tried a pressure cooker yet. I feel safer personally decarbing in the pressure cooker and then infusing the oils in a hot water bath.

I feel best about making it the original way, in a hot oil bath, but I understand that this is simply me feeling more comfortable with the first method I used. There's been no testing of the FHO yet, and we don't know how much water gets retained in the oil when you do the entire process in the pressure cooker as PsyCro does. It's certainly easier that way, and he claims the oil is at least as potent as his original approach with the hot oil bath.

There are no straightforward answers with cannabis other than generalizations like cannabinoids kill cancer cells. The plant forces us to experiment.

So I'm thinking of returning my high pressure 250f pressure cooker and getting one none adjustable that works at lower pressure around 230f but is electric and does other modes. I'm never likely to need the higher pressure for anything mj related am i(solely this use is for mj decarb etc) guess I could use the slow cook setting for a water bath?

I'm right saying lower temp for longer would give us the best infusion and decarb So 250f isn't really useful? Just working out my funding kinks!

I believe you're right. If someone else believes differently please speak up before funds are committed. :battingeyelashes:

I believe you're right. If someone else believes differently please speak up before funds are committed. :battingeyelashes:
The weight on the pressure cooker is also a three piece unit, which makes it a a 5 psi 10 psi or a 15 psi. So in reality make it a ten psi and decarb at 240 degree. Unless the electric cooker is more what you want.

Right I'm sticking with what I've got.
30g odd dried critical cure

I want to infuse into olive oil as I've no solvent left for atleast 2 weeks. And I have seen so many methods I'm at a loss where to try my next go (FYI I have tried the double burner similar to psycro , but with dried bud, but could never keep that stable temperature)

I have a 237f 8ish psi pressure cooker. I also have a fairly stable temp oven.

Someone help me decide what way to go. I have 3 thoughts.

1. Buds in glass jar sitting in water in pressure cooker for 90 min to decarb then into about 60ml olive oil plus lecithin (want these strong, for cancer patient who has been dosing already, albeit at non measured doses tbh) and into a water bath for a couple hours as sue suggests.

2. Decarb in Turkey bag in oven at *what temp suggested here* and into water bath with olive oil and lecithin.

3. Blended into olive oil 60ml/70ml with lecithin into a jar and into water bath for couple of hours and finished by putting jar lightly sealed into the pressure cooker 8psi 237f for 80/90 min.

4.. Any further suggestions, I just keep going back and forth with options not making a decision!

I'm voting for #1, but forty five minutes in pressure cooker at 15 psi.. One hour in jars in the water bath after... Four drops in my morning coffee, five hrs later it's slacking off.... Nice

Right I'm sticking with what I've got.
30g odd dried critical cure

I want to infuse into olive oil as I've no solvent left for atleast 2 weeks. And I have seen so many methods I'm at a loss where to try my next go (FYI I have tried the double burner similar to psycro , but with dried bud, but could never keep that stable temperature)

I have a 237f 8ish psi pressure cooker. I also have a fairly stable temp oven.

Someone help me decide what way to go. I have 3 thoughts.

1. Buds in glass jar sitting in water in pressure cooker for 90 min to decarb then into about 60ml olive oil plus lecithin (want these strong, for cancer patient who has been dosing already, albeit at non measured doses tbh) and into a water bath for a couple hours as sue suggests.

2. Decarb in Turkey bag in oven at *what temp suggested here* and into water bath with olive oil and lecithin.

3. Blended into olive oil 60ml/70ml with lecithin into a jar and into water bath for couple of hours and finished by putting jar lightly sealed into the pressure cooker 8psi 237f for 80/90 min.

4.. Any further suggestions, I just keep going back and forth with options not making a decision!
Or option #5

Place buds into Mason jar with the oil, cover with lid, snugg not tight tight
Place oven at lowest temp, mine is 170deg
Place jar on cookie sheet in oven, shaking jar every hour till u fall asleep
Leave in oven for 36 hrs shaking jar when ya think about it, be sure yer oven dosent shut off, mine will stay on about 8hrs, even if timer is on it shuts off, fyi

Takes longer but a very easy process and I've had great results 3x this way

I gotta go with Scorpio here. The 36 hour approach both decarbs and infuses, and the time and amount of agitation pretty much guarantee you'll get a decent extraction. It's by far the easiest infusion, IMO, and I find it very effective. It's really my favorite method next to FHO.

Ok so help me out here. Two questions.

1. 20g bud grinded, not too fine.
100ml olive oil

This pretty much got soaked into the bid immediately. Shook and it all stuck to the sides so had to push back down.

I added a little water in because i was going to have to add more oil!
Hoping I can evaporate this off..

2. 20g critical cure : 100ml olive oil.

1:5 mix. Around 8% cbd and 6% thc. All I have until others are available to me soon.

Am I right in saying this means 5ml has 8mg cbd and 6mg thc? So would need some huge doses over a day for getting to 100/200mg per day. That's alot of capsules!

What am I doing wrong?

Ok so help me out here. Two questions.

1. 20g bud grinded, not too fine.
100ml olive oil

This pretty much got soaked into the bid immediately. Shook and it all stuck to the sides so had to push back down.

I added a little water in because i was going to have to add more oil!
Hoping I can evaporate this off..

2. 20g critical cure : 100ml olive oil.

1:5 mix. Around 8% cbd and 6% thc. All I have until others are available to me soon.

Am I right in saying this means 5ml has 8mg cbd and 6mg thc? So would need some huge doses over a day for getting to 100/200mg per day. That's alot of capsules!

What am I doing wrong?

Just doing some quick math, at 100 percent extraction. There would be 2800 mg of cannabinoids in the one hundred mls of the olive oil. Figuring to about 28 mg per ml of the oil.

Or option #5

Place buds into Mason jar with the oil, cover with lid, snugg not tight tight
Place oven at lowest temp, mine is 170deg
Place jar on cookie sheet in oven, shaking jar every hour till u fall asleep
Leave in oven for 36 hrs shaking jar when ya think about it, be sure yer oven dosent shut off, mine will stay on about 8hrs, even if timer is on it shuts off, fyi

Takes longer but a very easy process and I've had great results 3x this way

Did you grind your bud in with the oil, or just pour oil on top of your bud? I'm going to try this low temp method next time for comparison to the FHO.

Did you grind your bud in with the oil, or just pour oil on top of your bud? I'm going to try this low temp method next time for comparison to the FHO.
Actually...I used a big mouth Mason jar and my emulsion blender fit in it

I put in the buds then the oil and blended them in the jar so no loss of terps or crystals...works real well

Now I also don't strain my oil, I leave the flower in it. I did strain the FHO but not this oil and have done it this way 3x

Now I did FHO and 36hr method with the CBDutch Treat. I honestly can't tell a difference which is why I hoped the testing may show me something

Also the 36hr is so easy it works better for me.

Just doing some quick math, at 100 percent extraction. There would be 2800 mg of cannabinoids in the one hundred mls of the olive oil. Figuring to about 28 mg per ml of the oil.

Confused!

Why 2800? And not 2000mg?
And that would mean according to your math per ml there is 28mg. Does that mean only 8% of that it cbd and 6%is thc?

Actually...I used a big mouth Mason jar and my emulsion blender fit in it

I put in the buds then the oil and blended them in the jar so no loss of terps or crystals...works real well

:thanks: That's just what I was envisioning. Yeah, the 36 hr method seems every easy and effective. Definitely giving it a go with my next harvest

:thanks: That's just what I was envisioning. Yeah, the 36 hr method seems every easy and effective. Definitely giving it a go with my next harvest
Plus Lady A, it's easy to do smaller amounts this way

Try different oils and creat creams

Confused!

Why 2800? And not 2000mg?
And that would mean according to your math per ml there is 28mg. Does that mean only 8% of that it cbd and 6%is thc?
In one gram or (1000 mg) of your bud there is 80mg Cbd and 60 mg of THC, at one hundred percent extraction. Multiply that times 20 as in 20 "grams of bud. That's 1600 mg of Cbd and 1200 mg of THC, equaling 2800 mg of cannabinoids... Hope that helps??

Plus Lady A, it's easy to do smaller amounts this way

Try different oils and creat creams

And I just found another gallon plastic bag full of bud from Blue Dream CBD in the fridge. Time to find different oils to play with :slide:

Back
Top Bottom