Thanks SweetSue :hug: You too!

Although I feel a little like i know a little of you from my readings here. I decided to go back a bit and am reading your grow journals. Am a bit over halfway through your first (you just decided another week or 2 to harvest the Bomb) and am loving it like a good book. Full of brilliance, joy, passion, love, tears and laughter! :thanks: I'm absolutely about to become an LOS proponent. Those pots are like their very own forest floor, yum.

It'll take me longer to get back to this thread now - i'm not supposed to spend too much time reading & researching stuff (any activity, mental or physical compromises my health status - can cause a 'crash') and i've been pushing the envelope here a bit the last few days!

Anyway - without having read nearly enough about it, may I ask someone to clarify for me that one can simply make an infused oil to consume using olive oil and dried herb? If so (yay!), what ratio would one try? Can it be done with a small amount of herb (like a gram)? and how long should it infuse? Sorry to just ask for the quick easy answer, but I've limited time on the computer and still over 50 pages of SweetSue's first novel to read :bravo:

:Namaste:

:laughtwo: You'll discover as you read into the next journal that I left LOS and its bugs behind and switched to Doc Bud's HBB kit, and now, just over a year later, more than half of my garden is hempy pots with bottled nutrients and some of the best plants I've grown to date. The garden keeps evolving. :battingeyelashes:

That first journal is a tearjerker, and it got worse before it got so much better. Today I'm happier than I believe I've ever been. This community invigorates me in the most amazing way. :circle-of-love:

My favorite small batch infused oil uses between 3-7 grams of bud. Add that to 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil and place in a tightly sealed jar. Remove all but one rack from the oven and place that rack dead center in the space. Heat to the lowest setting your oven is calibrated for.

Place the jar on a baking sheet in the middle of the heated oven. Shake vigoriously every hour for the first day, without stressing over it. From that point shake it every time you think of it. Leave it in the oven cooking like this for 36 hours. This both decarbs the cannabis and infuses the oil with those cannabinoids.

Strain, add a tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin, mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remix if necessary and use. You can fill capsules with it, use it in cooking or simply swish in the mouth without swallowing, as long as possible, and then swallow. Be careful about dosing. Start low and titrate up slowly.

Sue you don't know this but I've been stalking you for about 4-5 months now. I've been extremely interested in what you and your community does. I have just joined about 2 weeks ago and had my first post and started my first journal today. I know your extremely busy but if you have a min could you please stop by my journal and see what I'm trying to do to help my daughter and help steer me in the right direction as I need all the coaching as I can get these days thanks in advance
Derbybud

Sue you don't know this but I've been stalking you for about 4-5 months now. I've been extremely interested in what you and your community does. I have just joined about 2 weeks ago and had my first post and started my first journal today. I know your extremely busy but if you have a min could you please stop by my journal and see what I'm trying to do to help my daughter and help steer me in the right direction as I need all the coaching as I can get these days thanks in advance
Derbybud

That's the kind of stalking I can live with Derbybud. :laughtwo: I'd be more than glad to stop by and see what I can help with. Do you have a link to the journal, or at the very least a journal title I can search for?

Never mind. I found you. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Please Help Me Help My Daughter: Autos in Coco LED

Feel free to use that link to add to your signature line so other members can find you. :battingeyelashes:

and just a quick reminder for anyone else playing with these ideas with the pressure cooker, remove any plant material before trying to decarb the oil. this must be done in seperate steps because the plant material will fry in the oil i believe. never tried this before but i sispect that would happen. im going to do the extraction in a regular pot on the stove, with water and oil. after a cook i will seperate plant material from liquid mixture of oil and water. then i will solidify and seperate water from oil by cooling in the fridge. i will then wash the oil one or two times to clear any extra clorophyl from the infused fho. then i will take the cleaned oil and cook it in the pressure cooker to decarb. the open boil shouldnt evaoprate any terpenes and shouldnt convert any to cbn at all.

:laughtwo: You'll discover as you read into the next journal that I left LOS and its bugs behind and switched to Doc Bud's HBB kit, and now, just over a year later, more than half of my garden is hempy pots with bottled nutrients and some of the best plants I've grown to date. The garden keeps evolving. :battingeyelashes:

Ahhh... well, I hate bugs inside the house (love them outside and my forest is near water so we have lots!) - but yes... not inside. I look forward to reading about the evolution.

That first journal is a tearjerker, and it got worse before it got so much better. Today I'm happier than I believe I've ever been. This community invigorates me in the most amazing way. :circle-of-love:
I can see that invigoration happening all around here, it's a little infectious. And i've picked up on enough prior to reading the journal to know that sadder times approach. It's actually really incredible sharing your personal journey, so thank you.

My favorite small batch infused oil uses between 3-7 grams of bud. Add that to 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil and place in a tightly sealed jar. Remove all but one rack from the oven and place that rack dead center in the space. Heat to the lowest setting your oven is calibrated for.

Place the jar on a baking sheet in the middle of the heated oven. Shake vigoriously every hour for the first day, without stressing over it. From that point shake it every time you think of it. Leave it in the oven cooking like this for 36 hours. This both decarbs the cannabis and infuses the oil with those cannabinoids.

Strain, add a tablespoon of liquid sunflower lecithin, mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remix if necessary and use. You can fill capsules with it, use it in cooking or simply swish in the mouth without swallowing, as long as possible, and then swallow. Be careful about dosing. Start low and titrate up slowly.

:hug::amen:to that!

and just a quick reminder for anyone else playing with these ideas with the pressure cooker, remove any plant material before trying to decarb the oil. this must be done in seperate steps because the plant material will fry in the oil i believe. never tried this before but i sispect that would happen. im going to do the extraction in a regular pot on the stove, with water and oil. after a cook i will seperate plant material from liquid mixture of oil and water. then i will solidify and seperate water from oil by cooling in the fridge. i will then wash the oil one or two times to clear any extra clorophyl from the infused fho. then i will take the cleaned oil and cook it in the pressure cooker to decarb. the open boil shouldnt evaoprate any terpenes and shouldnt convert any to cbn at all.

With the fresh harvest infused oil decarb is done in the oil, with the plant material included. Were you decarbing CCO you definately would strain it out and do winterizing, as you describe. With CCO you're looking for a pure oil.

I personally have no problem with including something as beneficial to the human body as chlorophyll in the oils, one of the reasons I champion the FHO. It retains terpenes, chlorophyll, and the flavonoids we still don't understand the therapeutic value of. All of these components come into play with the entourage effect. Since I fill capsules with my infused oils, taste isn't the concern it'd be for someone tacking CCO.

Hi thank you!

Would you recommend it easier to do a roasting bag oven decarb instead first, whether it be for cco or infused ?

The main benefit for me of doing oven decarb first was to avoid the hot oil bath step in making cco. I had a few accidents from oil splattering that ruined a few batches. Advantage of doing oven decarb with infused oils done at low temps is that it ensures finished oil is fully decarbed,

With the pressure cooker neither of these is a concern. The downside of oven decarbing first is that herb becomes brittle and breaks down more during extraction or infusion resulting in more chlorophyll and making it more difficult to filter. So I wouldn't do it in this case.

I was watching the Dan Patrick show just now, I'm a huge NFL fan.
They had Kyle Turley on, he is a big advocate for Cannabis usage and it has personally helped him kick opioids

Ex-Lineman Kyle Turley on NFL Cannabis Ban: 'This Whole Thing Has To Change' | Leafly

In addition the testing on CTE if NFL players was finished a few days ago

A new study by Boston University researcher-Dr. Ann McKee-examined-the brains of 202 deceased football players and found that 110 of the 111 brains of former NFL players had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). The results were-published-the Journal of the American Medical Association.

There are many who feel Cannabis could help and ultimately save lives of NFL players with CTE and Concussions

CTE: Why The Power Of Cannabis Is A Promising Treatment

Couple good reads

:laughtwo: You'll disc

SweetSue, could we have an estimate of the temperature of the oven here, please? I'm trying to figure out would it be above or below the boiling point of water. Ovens probably vary widely in their capabilities.

SweetSue, could we have an estimate of the temperature of the oven here, please? I'm trying to figure out would it be above or below the boiling point of water. Ovens probably vary widely in their capabilities.
When I've done this method 3x, is as low as your oven will go
Mine is a digital dial and lowest is 170 deg
I have dual oven, bottom is not digital, measured lowest it would be was 190deg

Hope this helps

I think it depends on the oven. My mother in law's oven has a low setting of 170 F, whereas the one in my current kitchen is 110 F.

It's simply the lowest setting your oven can reach, with the hope that that comes in at 170 degrees F or less. The lower you can get it the better. You can infuse oil by simply placing it in a warm spot for a couple weeks and shaking it as frequently as it occurs to you.

An invaluable repost from Cajun's thread that I knew you'd all appreciate.

SweetSue said:
I found a note in my messages this morning from Dave Groomer who'd stumbled onto a blog with a plethora of information backing our claims that cannabinoids kill cancer cells. I've looked it over and can't hold this one back. There's so much info covered here it'll make your head spin. Some of the videos have been pulled, a common practice at YouTube, but most of it is still intact, and all of it is usable.

Enjoy the exploration.

Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells – All the Proof You Need | Cannabis Journal

You're welcome. It's Dave Groomer that deserves the thanks.

Thank you Super Dave. :hug: :love:

Sorry nira, I missed this yesterday. :welcome: to our brainstorming room and to the :420: community. :hug:

Ok, first off, yes, you can indeed use dry buds for the olive oil infusion with the measurements PsyCro defines, but it won't be FHO, it'll just be excellent infused oil.

If you decide to decarb in the pressure cooker I'd recommend you follow ShiggityFlip's method rather than what PsyCro worked out, because Shiggity's method didn't add any water to the mix.

ShiggityFlip decarbs in the pressure cooker

Don't seal the jars when you decarb in the pressure cooker. The CO2 needs some way to escape, so you loosely cap them.

As for the CCO, purge the ethanol the way you were doing. You're done with that now, I'm sure. It'd be dangerous to do that in the pressure cooker. You're better using a simple double boiler and a non-stick ceramic pan, or purging in a small container set into an oil bath.

Incidentally, it isn't my FHO method. I'm just the loud voice you all can't ignore encouraging you to try something new that I can see will revolutionize the way we process. PsyCro gets the credit for this brilliance.

Thank you. I see shiggityflip didn't infuse in olive oil during his decarb. Could I not put dry bud in with the olive oil into a small loosely sealed jar into the pressure cooker with a few inches of water. And leave cooking for 90 mins. My pressure cooker. Lowest setting is 79kpa as I have calculated not 60 but it works out at 240f. Is 90 min still okay? And is my method ok? Or will it fry in the oil as mentioned??

If i cannot do the above. And I follow decarb like shiggity and then add to olive oil. I would add and leave to sit? And not need to heat to infuse?

In addition if I follow shiggity method on decarb. Am I better using the 250f psi setting for the 40 min he suggests or 240f for longer?

Sorry for so many questions
Thanks

Thank you. I see shiggityflip didn't infuse in olive oil during his decarb. Could I not put dry bud in with the olive oil into a small loosely sealed jar into the pressure cooker with a few inches of water. And leave cooking for 90 mins. My pressure cooker. Lowest setting is 79kpa as I have calculated not 60 but it works out at 240f. Is 90 min still okay? And is my method ok? Or will it fry in the oil as mentioned??

If i cannot do the above. And I follow decarb like shiggity and then add to olive oil. I would add and leave to sit? And not need to heat to infuse?

In addition if I follow shiggity method on decarb. Am I better using the 250f psi setting for the 40 min he suggests or 240f for longer?

Sorry for so many questions
Thanks

:laughtwo: I run around this site encouraging questions nira. No need to apologize. :hug:

My standard for decarb is 110 min at 110 C or 235 F. Your plan isn't that far off from mine. 90 minutes will be fine for decarb. Adding the oil in the beginning shouldn't be a concern as far as burning, but I'm not certain 90 minutes under pressure would infuse the oil enough. I think if it were me, I'd add on another hour in a water bath.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with more info, if I'm off the mark with the infusion times. It certainly can't hurt to give yourself the cushion.

Thanks Sue! I was thinking about all different strains to look at for helping with my friends bowel and bladder cancer and it struck me that it's hard to find recommendations in one place. Would it be a good idea to list all the strains and cbd:thc rations people have used for different ailments? I'm still reading through this whole thread and got to p52 and cheweys testimonial on 1:1 ratio for neuralgia because cbd works better with thc. But then why do people try getting higher ratios or less or more cbd?

Thanks

Hey SweetSue,
I'm confused. I have not messed with the pressure cooker so I'm trying to just follow along mentally. So you are recommending doing the extraction in a regular pot of some kind and then straining the plant out and THEN put the oil in the pressure cooker to decarb. First, I'm having a hard time envisioning the plant mtl "frying in the oil". What temp are you talking about in the cooker? I don't understand why it would hurt it at all. That being said, I don't know why it would be necessary to have the plant in there at that point cause there should not be anything in there to decarb anyway. So, those of you experimenting with pressure; are you simply trying to decarb with it or are you doing an extraction? I need a little clarification in case Canyon wants to play with that.

So I'm thinking of returning my high pressure 250f pressure cooker and getting one none adjustable that works at lower pressure around 230f but is electric and does other modes. I'm never likely to need the higher pressure for anything mj related am i(solely this use is for mj decarb etc) guess I could use the slow cook setting for a water bath?

I'm right saying lower temp for longer would give us the best infusion and decarb So 250f isn't really useful? Just working out my funding kinks!

Thanks Sue! I was thinking about all different strains to look at for helping with my friends bowel and bladder cancer and it struck me that it's hard to find recommendations in one place. Would it be a good idea to list all the strains and cbd:thc rations people have used for different ailments? I'm still reading through this whole thread and got to p52 and cheweys testimonial on 1:1 ratio for neuralgia because cbd works better with thc. But then why do people try getting higher ratios or less or more cbd?

Thanks

The problem is that cannabis expresses itself in completely individual ways, patient to patient. One patient gets relief for neuralgia with a 1:1, but the next patient needs a different formulation, and a third patient something completely different. It's all trial and error in the end. The best we can do is notice trends of larger populations and make our best guesses from there, determining the terpene profiles that we believe would be best for this particular patient and the cannabinoid ratios we hope will be the ticket.

What we do here amazes me that it works so well. We look over the basic information we get from the posting member and fall back on instinct and intuition, the same way healing has been done for centuries. To do this across a digital field with the sparsity of information we're usually privy to sometimes feels like tightrope walking.

Me? I have no fear of heights. :laughtwo: Cannabis is a kind friend. No one will be hurt or killed by our attempts at alchemy.

The best advice I've heard to date came from Martin Lee at Project CBD: you want a CBD-rich medication with as much THC as the patient can tolerate comfortably. So I personally start with a 1:1 and work from there to get CBD as high as possible in balance with CBD. Then I start increasing either THC or CBD, depending on what we're treating.

We're still all so new to this nira. We work heavy on faith that the cosmos works on our behalf and has our back.

Back
Top Bottom