This is an awesome thread. Making oil isn't as hard as people think and I bet more people will give it a shot.

Thank you Pete. :hug: Making oil can be done in so many ways it's almost mind-boggling. Any cannabis oil will help the system heal, but there are ways to potentiate the medicinal value. That's what we play with here as we assist members with more critical issues of healing.

Nice to meet you. You've been a quiet one among us. I beat that post count in a single day. :laughtwo: Are you having fun in our virtual neighborhood?

Hi DaddyH The numbers in the sativa and indica columns are just made up to get around divide by zero messages.

The next step is to put in the strain profiles from what you have purchased. You can post them and ill put them in, or you can enter them in to the spreadsheet. Its on a google server so any updates you or I make will be visible.

I have two recommendations for you today:

Don't mix the buds together. Rather make some oil with the sativa, and a separate batch with just the indica. Store these separately. Now you can prepare smaller batches of oil mixtures for ingestion and assessment on how she reacts.

Get familiar with very small batch processing. That's where I have landed after much experimentation. Here's a recipe for the indica:

Using a small mason jar or measuring cup, hand crumble 2 grams of dried flower into the container.
Soak the crumbled bud with 50 ml EVOO. That's enough to coat the bud bits and a little extra. Give it a stir. Cover the container with tin foil - fold it over the top but not too tight so that the bubbles from the decarb can escape.
Place in the middle of the oven ( a toaster oven works really well if you have one) preheated to 220F for 2 hours. You are doing the decarb and extraction in one step, and minimizing terpene and cannabinoid loss because its wet.
Allow to cool down.
Strain the oil through a fine kitchen strainer to remove the plant material. Keep that plant material.
Add a drop or 2 of liquid sunflower lecithin into the indica oil. stir gently, and sit it in the fridge overnight.

While you are at it, warm the acdc oil to say 150f and stir in some LSL. This will enhance bioavailability.

We need to plug the strain profile and batch sizes (how much bud, how much oil) into the spreadsheet to calculate how much thc and cbd are in it.

Finally from there you can decide how much indica oil to add to a small volume of acdc oil to create a custom oil profile for Abigail Nighttime Oil.

Proposed Abigail Night time Oil V1: Combine 1.5 teaspoons of acdc with 1/4 teaspoon of Indica oil. This is enough for 1 week at 1/4 teaspoon per dose at bedtime.

Later on, repeat all of this for the Sativa oil. By doing this this way, you can create any custom blend of the 3 oils in whatever combination and volume based on her reactions.

In time, you will find the best combination(s) for Abigail.

One caution is to be very light handed with the thc oils until she gets used to it.

Immediate next step is to post those strain profiles, then we can firm up the acdc/indica blend.

One step tiny step at a time....

Much Thanks Oldbear! I want to make sure I'm reading this right... For the daytime medicine, you're calculating 1 Oz. the Sativa Strain to .25 Oz. of the ACDC? And for the nighttime medicine it's 1 Oz. of the Indica Strain to .25 Oz. of the ACDC? This makes about a 20:1 ratio?? If so, perhaps I don't fully understand how they convert when decarbed, and infused into the oil because I was under the impression that since the Indica and Sativa strains have more THC than the ACDC has CBD, that I'd need WAY less of the Indica and Sativa than the ACDC. This has it the other way around? Sorry, just trying to understand the math/ science...

You're definitely speaking my language with the Excel Spreadsheet! I'm an IT Nerd by trade, so I love all the formula's you've put into this. I'm actually going to try and come up with one of my own (based on my own math). If I'm reading yours correctly, you're running general numbers on all three strains (which is great). I'd like to try and calculate how many grams I need of each strain to mix with 14 Grams of ACDC in order to get between 8:1 & 20:1. I'll probably attach something for you all to review here in a bit after I punch some numbers. LOVE SPREADSHEETS! :thumb: This is fantastic! Thank you so much for the help as now that I see the numbers, it's starting to make more sense.

Does any1 else have after they make there oil and it sits out for a few days notice some thick stuff settling to the bottom should I filter that out or mix it back up into the oil??

I have noticed this. It has a gelatine texture? I think its the lecithin, and I'm assuming I added too much. I have always just stirred it back in. Warming the oil helps.

Morning I just now found this. I'm delighted that all of this is helping you helping her.

I'm going to put your profiles into my sheet. I want to finish it for Abigail and then will turn it in to a multi strain calculator fort anybody to use.

I totally agree with adding some indica to the acdc for a bedtime dose. I recommend keeping the oils separate as you suggest. For now I would defer the daytime and just focus on the night time. One little change at a time so you can assess the results ....

Okay Oldbear, now that I see how to do the math, and started putting some number and formulas into my own spreadsheet, I think I'm getting my head around it :thumb:

So, I'll attach what I did, but obviously this isn't going to work because the CBD:THC ratio is WAY off this way. All I did was run the same calculations that you ran (I pretty much copied your formulas :)), but I did it with the same amount of cannabis I initially planned on using to make Abigail's medicine (.5 Oz of ACDC & .25 Oz. of Sativa Strain for day - .5 Oz of ACDC & .25 Oz. of Indica Strain for night).

Here's the good that came from this:clap:

1. I now completely understand how to do this math, and run these kind of calculations on my own. :geek:
2. Everyone here can now appreciate the value that a group like this has. I was fully prepared (even felt a little good about it) to dose my 7-year old daughter at a 1.25:1 ratio instead of the minimum recommended 10:1 ratio, but this thread kinda saved me and prevented me from doing that! :adore:

Here's my problem. My daughter was sleeping through the night before we ever started using medical cannabis. When we first tried strain with higher levels of THC, she was getting the best sleep ever (probably partially because we were dosing her WAY too high - no pun intended) :laughtwo: But, ever since we've started her on the ACDC only (which is apparently the right ratio), she isn't sleeping through the night AT ALL! This doesn't bother me one bit, but my wife might have something else to say about that...

I'm just not sure where this leaves me now..?? I'm thinking I just give her strictly the ACDC during the day (seems like a no-brainer at this point), but is it wrong to give her a little Indica strain at night for good ZZzzz's... ??? Would that completely mess up the targeted ratio (10:1)? Should I just make a completely separate oil for the Indica Strain, and not even bother using the Sativa Strain?

Sorry, I thought I was finally getting my answers, but now that I see all the numbers, it just raised more questions... Here's my spreadsheet if you want to see for yourself (in case your a numbers geek like me)...

Thanks again for sharing another great resource SweetSue. This part in particular stood out to me as my daughter is on Onfi and Zonegran to control her seizures. When you combine the list of potential side effects of these two pharmaceutical drugs, it's VERY alarming. Luckily our daughter's Neurologist has advised us to take great care because of this, so we did some bloodwork to measure the levels of Onfi in her system before we started medical cannabis, and we're getting ready to get some follow-up bloodwork shortly to see if there's an increase. We've noticed some additional irratability and I've already eluded to the sleeplessness - it hadn't dawned on me that this may be resulting from an increased level of Onfi in her system moreso a result of the cannabis. I guess we'll know soon enough. I'm hopeful we can start to ween her off of the pharmaceuticals soon.
When adding CBD to the regimen of a child on Omfi you know to watch out for side effects, because Omfi levels aren't something anyone's thinking to check.

What an epic thread!! Thanks so much guys for all your amazing contributions and info. Im putting together my own oil and suppository method now and this has been a brilliant help (I haven't read all 346 pages yet, just skimmed in/out when I can)

Proposed Abigail Night time Oil V1: Combine 1.5 teaspoons of acdc with 1/4 teaspoon of Indica oil. This is enough for 1 week at 1/4 teaspoon per dose at bedtime.
This sounds good Oldbear! I'm going to grab a digi scale first thing this morning, so I can accurately measure out 2 grams of the indica, and I'll try this today. I'll use a measuring spoon for the olive oil, so I know exactly what I used (assuming about 3 Tbsp.).

Here's the Indica Profile (Blueberry):
19.47% THCA, .036% CBDA, .193% CBGA
Terpenes: Caryophyllene, Linalool, Pinene, and Myrcene

:adore:You're are a cannabis ROCKSTAR Oldbear! :adore:
Thanks so much for all your help on this!

I
this sounds good oldbear! i'm going to grab a digi scale first thing this morning, so i can accurately easure out 2 grams of the indica, and i'll try this today. I'll use a measuring spoon for the olive oil, so i know exactly what i used (assuming about 3 tbsp.).

here's the indica profile (blueberry):
19.47% thca, .036% cbda, .193% cbga
terpenes: Caryophyllene, linalool, pinene, and myrcene

:adore:you're are a cannabis rockstar oldbear! :adore:
Thanks so much for all your help on this!

Thank you for the kiind words. No rockstar though. I'm just happy to share things i’ve learned based on contributions from many other fine folks here :circle-of-love:

Just wanted to pass on a very handy accessory I've made use of with the last few batches of oil. These mesh bags really help control the amount of plant matter escaping into the filter and are super cheap with so many uses.
Therpin 75 Micron Nylon Reusable Mesh Food Strainer Filter Bag for Nut Milk, Cold Coffee, Green Juice, Home Brew, Hop (48cm x 64cm): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Thank you. :hug: This was just what I was thinking I needed. :laughtwo:

Guys...... Gee whiz guys. This was brilliant to be a part of. It's been almost magical watching the pieces fall together. Everything daddyherb needed we had somewhere.

* deep sigh * Makes me so proud to be part of this troupe..... Dammit, you have me crying. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Plant Power, you know no one will insist you read through? If you have questions, please stop and ask. :battingeyelashes:

Thank you. :hug: This was just what I was thinking I needed. :laughtwo:

Guys...... Gee whiz guys. This was brilliant to be a part of. It's been almost magical watching the pieces fall together. Everything daddyherb needed we had somewhere.

* deep sigh * Makes me so proud to be part of this troupe..... Dammit, you have me crying. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Yep, they're very handy indeed, allowing the alcohol to easily flow in and out but trapping most of the plant matter and stopping it clogging up the filters so quickly. There seem to be many different mesh grades too....

Plant Power, you know no one will insist you read through? If you have questions, please stop and ask. :battingeyelashes:

Haha, yes, thank you I know! I just feel I should be a little clued up on what already been discussed so far but it is a looooot of pages.

While Im on the subject, is there a definitive best way to decarb flowers to minimise terpene loss?
Basically I've had a crazy idea but.......the roasting bag technique looks the simplest I've seen so far.

I have noticed this. It has a gelatine texture? I think its the lecithin, and I'm assuming I added too much. I have always just stirred it back in. Warming the oil helps.
Thanx but on this one i didnt add the lecithin cause I ran out an all i have left is granules an i used those once wen I first started out makn oil an it didn't work out i dont think the granules will work since they dnt break dwn much really so idk if i could add that to my brownie mix or not wen im baking with my oil but yea my oil still had that gelatin like substance i did use Grape seed oil if that makes a difference n used my mbm2 8 hour setting but yea my brownies now have a layer of slippery wetness almost like the oil sank to the bottom of them or something

Plant Power many thanks for posting this. I had no idea there was such a thing. Doubly useful because Ive started making my own nut milk. :thumb:

Just wanted to pass on a very handy accessory I've made use of with the last few batches of oil. These mesh bags really help control the amount of plant matter escaping into the filter and are super cheap with so many uses.
Therpin 75 Micron Nylon Reusable Mesh Food Strainer Filter Bag for Nut Milk, Cold Coffee, Green Juice, Home Brew, Hop (48cm x 64cm): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Thanx but on this one i didnt add the lecithin cause I ran out an all i have left is granules an i used those once wen I first started out makn oil an it didn't work out i dont think the granules will work since they dnt break dwn much really so idk if i could add that to my brownie mix or not wen im baking with my oil but yea my oil still had that gelatin like substance i did use Grape seed oil if that makes a difference n used my mbm2 8 hour setting but yea my brownies now have a layer of slippery wetness almost like the oil sank to the bottom of them or something

My brownies sometimes have this slightly soggy layer, and I think it's just they need a little longer to cook. I always choose the longest recommended time for the pan I'm using. It's not really soggy,must, as you say, as though the oil has settled to the bottom.

My brownies sometimes have this slightly soggy layer, and I think it's just they need a little longer to cook. I always choose the longest recommended time for the pan I'm using. It's not really soggy,must, as you say, as though the oil has settled to the bottom.
Ok and I set the temp to 325°f so not to burn up the thc

I have been thinking about something in support of our new friends Abigail and daddyherb.

I imagine we have all experienced having a little (or a lot) more thc in our system than we are comfortable with.

Things like racy brain, anxiety, perhaps even paranoia, dry mouth, total couch lock, extreme munchies. Probably others.

My question is this:

What are non verbal indicators to watch for to assist in finding the correct dose but ensuring not too much?

Ok and I set the temp to 325°f so not to burn up the thc

No need to do that Jones. This is a common misperception. The internal temperature of what you're cooking won't get high enough to degrade any cannabinoids. This may be your entire problem with the texture. Next time do them at 350, as advised. I assure you, they'll still be potent.

Back
Top Bottom