No need to do that Jones. This is a common misperception. The internal temperature of what you're cooking won't get high enough to degrade any cannabinoids. This may be your entire problem with the texture. Next time do them at 350, as advised. I assure you, they'll still be potent.
Ok sweet thanx for the info much appreciated i still have enuf oil for one more batch of edibles of some kind lol so hopefully the next ones turn out better

Plant Power many thanks for posting this. I had no idea there was such a thing. Doubly useful because Ive started making my own nut milk. :thumb:

You’re very welcome, it’s nice to be able to give something back to 420 as I’ve taken a hell of a lot over the last 6 weeks.
Owning a Nutribullet has made nut milks a breeze for me, making your own is certainly the way forward and save quiet a bit of money too, never mind avoiding all the extra ingredients in shop bought products.

I have been thinking about something in support of our new friends Abigail and daddyherb.

I imagine we have all experienced having a little (or a lot) more thc in our system than we are comfortable with.

Things like racy brain, anxiety, perhaps even paranoia, dry mouth, total couch lock, extreme munchies. Probably others.

My question is this:

What are non verbal indicators to watch for to assist in finding the correct dose but ensuring not too much?

This is a good idea.

It's going to have to be something in the behaviour that her parents can recognise. This makes it a hard thing to advise on but I think Oldbear has the right idea - if we get enough perspectives on different things that happen to us in our physicality and non-language dependent communications, then the parents will have a range of possible things to look out for and develop and refine this over time.

For me, I know one thing that can happen when I've had too much THC is the 'stares' - looking like I'm a million miles away when really all my focus is inwards because I feel like I'm falling off a cliff and have to hang on very tightly! (TBH - I've never consciously thought that while it was happening, this is a post event analysis .). An indication of way too much would be the need to lie down instantly, right where you are. I'll think some more about more subtle things that might indicate smaller 'tips over' the threshold.

FWIW - Radogast shared recently that smelling the aroma of freshly ground black pepper can help ease this overload when/of it happens. Just the aroma mind you, don't anyone go snorting the actual pepper!!

I have been thinking about something in support of our new friends Abigail and daddyherb.

I imagine we have all experienced having a little (or a lot) more thc in our system than we are comfortable with.

Things like racy brain, anxiety, perhaps even paranoia, dry mouth, total couch lock, extreme munchies. Probably others.

My question is this:

What are non verbal indicators to watch for to assist in finding the correct dose but ensuring not too much?

My daughter has a super sensitive system and a more-than-average sense of self-awareness. She's also somewhat new to cannabis. I'll toss this around with her.

First things that crossed my mind as signs of too much: sleeping too much, spacing out, agitation. I'd be watching for increased engagement, improved sleep patterns, good appetite, more laughter and curiosity as signs that we're near the sweet spot.

Thank you for mentioning water Oldbear.

I'm sure you've noticed increased thirst daddyherb, but you may not know why. Cannabinoid therapies require lots of water to flush out the waste products brought on by all the activity and degrading going on. Make certain she has lots of water.

Also, always have some fatty food in the stomach in advance of the dose, any dose. These simple steps assist bioavailability and the efficiency of the ECS.

While Im on the subject, is there a definitive best way to decarb flowers to minimise terpene loss?

Basically I've had a crazy idea but.......the roasting bag technique looks the simplest I've seen so far.

Plant Power - big welcome to the 420mag community :welcome:.

I'm glad you asked that question - I've been chasing it myself of late. SweetSue actually started a thread with some others to chase this down and their research is ongoing.

It's hard to pin anyone down on an answer tho! Partly because there are so many variables in plant material and techniques. But you will enjoy the 'Holy Grail' thread (which I will link back to as an edit after I post this). I'm not sure if there is a current 'consensus method' for the best retention as discovered so far. Sue might be able to clarify that.

I spent last night scouring the net for 'ideal' decarb times for cannabinoids and nothing mentioned terpene retention- except that thread. I did find out that CBD needs a slightly higher temp (260-280) to convert than THC 220-240) - which was a good discovery. I'm going to try to incorporate that knowledge in my next batch (I'm gearing up to make today or tomorrow).

I think the main thing I've picked up re terpene retention is the covering that Sue mentioned above - either in the oven bag or with foil - and then leaving it to cool completely before uncovering and moving to the infusion step.

What's your crazy idea? .Enquiring minds want to know... . Crazy ideas are often a prelude to breakthrough!!

Edit: Decoding The Holy Grail: Terpene & Cannabinoid Retention - Decarb to Extraction

It's bigger than Ben Hur - but I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

Thinking out loud in text here....

Red eyes - is that from the thc or from the smoke? Does the degree of redness co-relate to the amount of thc?

Is there something about pupil dilation?

I don't know about pupil dilation but I've noticed since I started vaping instead of smoking that my eyes don't get that red stoned look even when I've had a more recreational toke. It might be the smoke, but I'm wondering if redeye isn't a byproduct of whatever burns off at those higher temps... ?

My daughter has a super sensitive system and a more-than-average sense of self-awareness. She's also somewhat new to cannabis. I'll toss this around with her.

First things that crossed my mind as signs of too much: sleeping too much, spacing out, agitation. I'd be watching for increased engagement, improved sleep patterns, good appetite, more laughter and curiosity as signs that we're near the sweet spot.

Thank you for mentioning water Oldbear.

I'm sure you've noticed increased thirst daddyherb, but you may not know why. Cannabinoid therapies require lots of water to flush out the waste products brought on by all the activity and degrading going on. Make certain she has lots of water.

Also, always have some fatty food in the stomach in advance of the dose, any dose. These simple steps assist bioavailability and the efficiency of the ECS.

Nice move Sue - looking to the positive side of it as well: looking for the signs of good function . I like the way your brain does things like that. And talking to someone less THC friendly is a good idea too. I have someone here who fits that description and is using my oils a bit. I'll do the same. .

And thanks both for mentioning the water thing again. I'd forgotten that (read it once, a little while ago and promptly forgot it!).

The daughter mentioned all the things I'd brought up earlier. Then she mentioned that her first indication that she's taken too much THC is a flushing that occurs under the eyes - I'm assuming it's her sinuses, which opens up a whole line of curious questions.

Her system is sensitive enough that what begins as a warming of the area becomes a slight flush that gradually recedes.

It's a continuious challenge for me to stay hydrated. I get so focused that I don't register the dehydration my body's complaining about. I've learned to take a drink every time I go to the bathroom. It seems to work. :battingeyelashes:

While Im on the subject, is there a definitive best way to decarb flowers to minimise terpene loss?
Basically I've had a crazy idea but.......the roasting bag technique looks the simplest I've seen so far.

Short answer is no. There are many good methods though.

What I do is decarb and extract in one step. The crumbled bud goes in a little jar, soak with olive oil, cover with tin foil, and bake.

There is very little smell which I think means terps and cannabinoids are not escaping.

Ive amended the spreadsheet to include the strain profiles, and to include suggested recipes for the indica oil, and the blended oil for night time.

I need to reflect on all of this overnight but what I'm pondering is to hold off on the indica blend, and simply increase the amount of ac/dc she is taking daily.

Abigail's Oils V2

Here?
This sounds good Oldbear! I'm going to grab a digi scale first thing this morning, so I can accurately measure out 2 grams of the indica, and I'll try this today. I'll use a measuring spoon for the olive oil, so I know exactly what I used (assuming about 3 Tbsp.).

Here's the Indica Profile (Blueberry):
19.47% THCA, .036% CBDA, .193% CBGA
Terpenes: Caryophyllene, Linalool, Pinene, and Myrcene

BLUEBERRY IS A GREAT CHMOVAR 'STRAIN'.. STRAWBERRY TOO.. ORANGE .. TANGIE.. ALL,THESE ARE POWERFUL. NOT SURE TARGETED USE. BUT ID ADD 25 % blueberry to any batch..

Dad, crush few buds of blue and have a taste...

I also like OLD BEAR IDEA.. MAKE BATCHES OF SINGLE CHEMOVARS..IE ONE STRAIN'. INTO EXTRATC. MIX EXTRACT TO GET SPECIFIC MIXTURE AND PERAHPS EFFECT.''
brilliant for,daddy H and seizure in child.'

:adore:You're are a cannabis ROCKSTAR Oldbear! :adore:
Thanks so much for all your help on this!
here ..oh my
ooo kkk

Ive amended the spreadsheet to include the strain profiles, and to include suggested recipes for the indica oil, and the blended oil for night time.

I need to reflect on all of this overnight but what I'm pondering is to hold off on the indica blend, and simply increase the amount of ac/dc she is taking daily.

Abigail's Oils V2

After reviewing the video by Dr. Goldstein, I'd agree with you. A low dose of THC at bedtime may be all that's needed.

Abigail's Oils V2

Hey Oldbear, I wanted to check back in today. First, Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful to have found this group, and the amount of care you all seem to genuinely have for helping others find their way! So, here's the recipe I used for Abigail's Indica Oil:

60ML - Coconut Oil, 2 grams Indica (Blueberry), and 1/4 tsp. soy lecithin. I cooked it exactly the way you suggest Oldbear (in a glass jar, covered with foil for 2 hours at 220 degrees, let it cool in the oven, then into the fridge for 6 hours). I searched far and wide, and could not find liquid sunflower lecithin anywhere locally, so I'm going to have to order it online for the next time.

We gave her 1/2 tsp. of ACDC oil before bedtime last night, and 1/4 tsp. of Indica oil. I sat her with me for a good hour or more, so I could monitor her behavior, and all-in-all I think it was pretty successful. She was happy and calm. She didn't seem to get really spacey, but she was a little more giggly than usual (no problems with that). Best of all, she slept through the night! I think I'm going to follow your advice, and stick to this for about a week, then reevaluate.

I do have a few new questions/ concerns I've come up with over the past couple days.

1. The Indica Oil was very earthy in aroma and flavor (have to assume the flavor part), and it's very difficult getting Abigail to take it. She's actually great at taking medicine from a syringe into her mouth normally, but wanted no part of this oil, so we put it in her cup (with chamomile tea and lemon), and she still barely drank it. Is there something I can infuse into the oil along with the cannabis to help with this?

2. Oldbear, in your instructions, you recommended that I save the flower after I infuse it into the oil in the oven. I did this as you instructed, but I'm not sure why, or what I'm supposed to do with it now??

3. We've been giving Abigail 1/2 tsp. of ACDC twice daily (I think I may have misinformed you about her dose - it's not a full teaspoon yet). I'm wondering if I should modify this? Maybe 1/2 tsp. 3 times a day, or a full teaspoon twice daily??

4. The extra cannabis that we haven't used yet, will it lose it's potency sitting in the kitchen cabinet? Should it be kept in the fridge or freezer instead?

That's all I have for now. Thanks again Bigbear, SweetSue, and everyone else for being so thoughtful and caring. I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Hey Oldbear, I wanted to check back in today. First, Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful to have found this group, and the amount of care you all seem to genuinely have for helping others find their way! So, here's the recipe I used for Abigail's Indica Oil:

60ML - Coconut Oil, 2 grams Indica (Blueberry), and 1/4 tsp. soy lecithin. I cooked it exactly the way you suggest Oldbear (in a glass jar, covered with foil for 2 hours at 220 degrees, let it cool in the oven, then into the fridge for 6 hours). I searched far and wide, and could not find liquid sunflower lecithin anywhere locally, so I'm going to have to order it online for the next time.

I like the recipe.

We gave her 1/2 tsp. of ACDC oil before bedtime last night, and 1/4 tsp. of Indica oil. I sat her with me for a good hour or more, so I could monitor her behavior, and all-in-all I think it was pretty successful. She was happy and calm. She didn't seem to get really spacey, but she was a little more giggly than usual (no problems with that). Best of all, she slept through the night! I think I'm going to follow your advice, and stick to this for about a week, then reevaluate.

I do have a few new questions/ concerns I've come up with over the past couple days.

1. The Indica Oil was very earthy in aroma and flavor (have to assume the flavor part), and it's very difficult getting Abigail to take it. She's actually great at taking medicine from a syringe into her mouth normally, but wanted no part of this oil, so we put it in her cup (with chamomile tea and lemon), and she still barely drank it. Is there something I can infuse into the oil along with the cannabis to help with this?

Recommend you buy some gel caps. I think size 00 will hold one ML which is probably enough for her to start with. Others will chime in with flavour additives I hope.

2. Oldbear, in your instructions, you recommended that I save the flower after I infuse it into the oil in the oven. I did this as you instructed, but I'm not sure why, or what I'm supposed to do with it now??

I store mine in the freezer. Use it to add small quantities to salads, warm drinks, soup, grind it up in smoothies - all part of constant cannabinoid intake. There will be useful cannabinoids and terpenes in the leftovers. Also you should store all of your oils in the fridge (freezer for long term storage) to eliminate mold problems. Just as you would with any food / vegetable.

3. We've been giving Abigail 1/2 tsp. of ACDC twice daily (I think I may have misinformed you about her dose - it's not a full teaspoon yet). I'm wondering if I should modify this? Maybe 1/2 tsp. 3 times a day, or a full teaspoon twice daily??

I think you can safely increase the intake of the ac/dc daytime oil. It is a mild solution which is good to start with. I would suggest 1/2 teaspoon 4 times daily. Beginning with 1/2 teaspoon 3 times daily (after meals) is a good idea. After a week or so increase it to 3/4 the up it to a full one after another week or so if she tolerates it well.

4. The extra cannabis that we haven't used yet, will it lose it's potency sitting in the kitchen cabinet? Should it be kept in the fridge or freezer instead?

Yes indeed - freezer or fridge storage is best. What type of container is it in?

That's all I have for now. Thanks again Bigbear, SweetSue, and everyone else for being so thoughtful and caring. I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

You guys also. I'm so pleased you found your way here, and ecstatic things are working well for Abigail.

Im sure its on here but I cant find a thread on bud storage. Help please anyone....

daddyH in the meantime a google on bud storage will get you lots of info. It involves the use of little disks that balance the humidly inside the container. Again there is a mold concern. Some keep their buds in the freezer, others prefer a cool dark cabinet.

Thinking out loud in text here....

Red eyes - is that from the thc or from the smoke? Does the degree of redness co-relate to the amount of thc?

Is there something about pupil dilation?

I believe THC will always act the same on its own, it's the associated cannabinoids and terpenes that cause the 'effects' of the stone. Early harvest seems to make the end product more racy with some paranoia thrown in but it can be reduced with curing time.....
I think all the classics (red eyes, munchies, etc...) come from terpene levels and their individual level relative to each other.

Red eyes are the bursting of tiny blood vessels brought on by smoking cannabis. I don't recall getting red eyes from my edibles, but today I'll make an effort to have only edibles and check the mirror periodically.

Red eyes are the bursting of tiny blood vessels brought on by smoking cannabis. I don't recall getting red eyes from my edibles, but today I'll make an effort to have only edibles and check the mirror periodically.

Interesting, I admire your dedication to the research!
I always assumed and not through any research based evidence, that it was the eyes become dry that caused the redness. I’m sure dry mouth and dry eyes must be linked in some way, maybe it’s a particular terpene that causes it?

Back
Top Bottom