Sue et al,
The fresh buds contain a ‘ton’ of water. The excess water weeps out into oil. It brings the water soluble items;
Wax
Choryphl sp
More water
Trichomes or two/ some do get stuck in the water, since not all go to the oil...right?
So, that mixture would look ..cloudy..opaque liquid..

Not at all like cold qwet..exactly like too. Warm or too wet qwet..foamy extract.

In hot skillet,waters gone. In flash..in 5-7 minutes the bud, butter, and what not.cooked, slight char ..means decarb too. Yum,,

You're thinking of CCO Marc, where water is the enemy. With Fresh Harvest Oil we cook the water out of the fresh buds and you're left with a beautiful, rich infused oil filled with cannabinoid goodness.

We had a lot of trouble picking up GiGi's Naturally Decarbed SAP because of that water problem. That was pretty much why we set it aside for a while as we focused on the FHO.

Just thinking out loud......
Would it work well to use isopropyl alcohol and EVOO? First decarb the crumbled buds then soak them in the iso for a few mins. Add the EVOO and leave it somewhere warm and out the way to allow the iso to evaporate off on its own..... Hopefully the low temp and low alcohol volumes would leave all the most terps possible.
A lot of the loss will come from the extraction liquid being trapped in the plant matter so minimising that loss is the next step.

Some comments based on my mad scientist experiments:

A dry decarb loses a lot of goodies. You can smell it. A closed container helps with this.

Allowing the alcohol to evaporate before adding the EVOO would work. Don't know what would happen if EVOO is added first. Would slow it down I suppose.

Many believe solvent extractions leave a lot of chemical residue.

If you try it, Id like to hear the results.:)

Just thinking out loud......
Would it work well to use isopropyl alcohol and EVOO? First decarb the crumbled buds then soak them in the iso for a few mins. Add the EVOO and leave it somewhere warm and out the way to allow the iso to evaporate off on its own..... Hopefully the low temp and low alcohol volumes would leave all the most terps possible.
A lot of the loss will come from the extraction liquid being trapped in the plant matter so minimising that loss is the next step.

A dry decarb loses a lot of goodies. You can smell it. A closed container helps with this.

Allowing the alcohol to evaporate before adding the EVOO would work. Don't know what would happen if EVOO is added first. Would slow it down I suppose.

I like the decarbs that keep the bud in a sealed container, either vac sealed and done ‘boil in the bag’ style or the roasting bag method mentioned above (somewhere!)
The Iso alc I have is 99.9% alcohol so in theory if it’s all evaporated off it should leave nothing but any water that’s been absorbed (the 0.01)
I’d like to try mixing the extract/alc tincture into evoo and doing a low temp evaporation and see how it goes. This should give plenty of time for cannabinoids and evoo to get acquainted while the alc makes the emulsion thinner and easier to stir. Could be a good time also to add some sunflower lecithin too.
only one way to find out...

I like the decarbs that keep the bud in a sealed container, either vac sealed and done ‘boil in the bag’ style or the roasting bag method mentioned above (somewhere!)
The Iso alc I have is 99.9% alcohol so in theory if it’s all evaporated off it should leave nothing but any water that’s been absorbed (the 0.01)
I’d like to try mixing the extract/alc tincture into evoo and doing a low temp evaporation and see how it goes. This should give plenty of time for cannabinoids and evoo to get acquainted while the alc makes the emulsion thinner and easier to stir. Could be a good time also to add some sunflower lecithin too.

A very interesting approach. I look forward to your results. The standard method is to do the extraction and then mix with carrier oil and lecithin. You're essentially combining the steps into one.

Sounds good. Looking fwd to results :thumb:

CAPTIALS FOR PURPOSE

PLEASE DO NOT USE 'RUBNING ALCOHOL' ..
OK MAYBE CLEANING CRAP OFF YOUR SHOES. BUT NO EATS...

ISOPROPYL IS TAINTED ALCOHOL.
ITS SICKENS THOSE EHOM INGEST IT. PURPOSELY.

EVERCLEAR BRANDED SPIRITS ARE THE MINIUM STANDARD FOR MJ EXTRACTION.95 %.

Here at 'pure refing'...'if it's pure...it has to be good" 96% is used for extraction, tincture setting, and CCO reductions.

Ethanol , alcohol for human consumption, can extract everything you want from the leaf in 15-60 minutes.
If you chill the ethanol below 0F and the buds , dried, and ‘decarbed as you will’’ then pour off the free flowing liquid, you will have extracted almost all the thc/thcA/Cbd/cbda that exists. freeze proceeds everything.

Ok oil is broken apart by alcohol. They are antagonists . Each weakened in a reaction, temperature not with standing.
Using both should make an irreversible mess. But do let us know..

Ethanol , alcohol for human consumption, can extract everything you want from the leaf in 15-60 minutes.
If you chill the ethanol below 0F and the buds , dried, and 'decarbed as you will'' then pour off the free flowing liquid, you will have extracted almost all the thc/thcA/Cbd/cbda that exists. freeze proceeds everything.

Ok oil is broken apart by alcohol. They are antagonists . Each weakened in a reaction, temperature not with standing.
Using both should make an irreversible mess. But do let us know..

Hello sweet sue..

I have been doing a ton of 'research'. The oil 'effciency' Data came from 'high times' . I don't have links to much. I am the links..lol
I been reading for over 50 years. I recall almost every page of information..just not the page. So,it's not photo..not 'look back ability what so,ever'! Only absorb, store, integrate with more.

I find it interesting that EVOO is only a 75% extraction efficiency, and yet I believe Olive oil will hold the highest concentrations of cannabinoids.

Sue . The data shows more about the lipid density and the ability to,hold/
Thc
Cb x, x= all cannabinoids.

There are no other none cannabinoids. Terpine the nice smell doesn't count. I'll tell you how to extract the terpine..they are not 'special''imho. They are terpine...always were ...always will be.
inide here

I was under the impression that infused oils were 85% efficient. It hadn't occured to me that there could be such a difference between coconut and olive. The olive is working just fine with my CBD Critical Cure, but now you have me thinking about all that potentially got left behind.
Olive is wonderful.. coconut oil extracts more of the cannainoids than other oil. .sue. Period..

Marc, do you know if agitation during the extraction process with EVOO would increase the number of cannabinoids picked up?
Sue you have taught me agitation is never good...lol

Sue , all the decarb aside.
Extraction I merely the sliding off of the trichomes from the pointy leaf mounts.
Most anything takes some off. Even squeezing with your fingers. Smell and feel it right. You can see with micro camera... will show more 100 ; 1 examples..but you can see with 8 to one loop. Heating the oil will melt,the wax mount on the leaves more often. The data for,the 75% of evoo was for 212 f oil extracts. All oil was double boil protected, or crock pot with oil/water method.
They paid for ' copond analysis and published the efficiency ' so at less than 212 oil , you get less than 75 %. Agitation aside.
It's the heat, and somewhat the boiling action to 'stir' things that does extract. Now stirring a bit. It moves the 'sluury' Around so all material gets same deal..imho.. it not , can't be , action that causes 'extraction, sue.. su it's not a mechanical extraction method.. you can do,that. But not in oil. Oil to,thick.. no 'waves' in oil..sue.... I like the variations. ..just need physics checks..
They've just begun studying the acid cannabinoids, and they're finding them to be superior medicine for just about anything that has an inflammatory response. I believe they're also finding that they do many of the same things their natural counterparts would do, but using different receptors. New science. We have a couple more years before real understanding is developed.

When I make my brownies I was decarbing at 235 F for 45 minutes, adding the crumbled buds to the oil and going another 45 minutes before adding that oil and plant material to my brownie mix and cooking for the 35 minutes at 350 F. I'll tell you Marc, my brownies would be too potent for most people. :laughtwo: Usually others eat them in small bites. Me? I was consuming approx 75 mg of THC per dose and functioning just fine. I'm certain I have my personal method all worked out.
Sue
Ok extraction method aside..

Your decarb sounds spot on for most uses..
230/235 leaf temperature ......update here. ......
At 40-50 minutes safely gets most thc for least damage. Ie lowest temp/ shortest time.

Now if that oil is cooked. So oil never ever gets to 290 F. Theoretical you have max cannabinoids.
If you make brownies, and you cook more than 30-35 minutes, at 375/360 oven, measured. Then the thc/batter all reaches 300 f at same time. By 36 minutes. By 7 minutes later. Or so. Any thcA led is converted, thc turns to cBN, from cBN, it decays.. not sure time.
So baking brownies is a race to,the death for thc. When correct that would be the 'best medio-recro-soxio use of weed,there is.. lol
Ie kick asz brownies. If you sick oh you feel better. If your better. You feel .. elevated.. or what ever you do with the energy. Ingesting the weed . Imparts it's energy, the plant turned sun into sugar, using hydrogen for fuel, then it used sugar to mAke higher energy thcA. Thankfully. We consume, digest and get the stored energy into us. It goes every where. Imho.. it's a CATALYST. you can take the energy where you please, and where you can. Meditation is a examples. Music art language are others. ..

Viewed as catalyst .. it means treatment is not just passively consuming right dose, of right mixture, right etc.. all,that grease your skids, lubes the joints, activates your energy engine, and allows for extremely good...whate ver sessions.. IMHO from observations.

75 mg dose are huge for me , now sue. My chcoclate had exactly 860 mg thc and 140 mg Cbd. Damn label said so.lol
It was cannabotix . Rso syringe oil.its pricey. It's not mine. I use it as a reference to gauge my material. So I call it 1000 mg total cannainoids. Added to coco oil for first expansions, then 10 oz baker chcoclate....etc.. receive on request..lol.. at end had 30 round pieces. So without a computer , 33 mg per bite sized.. used to eat these every 3 hours. For months. Today one , whole one.. makes 1-3 hours ..disappear. Then I feel pain free for. Another few hours more. I should take half. So,I'm dosing 15-40 mg / total daily ... 50 mg by mouth.

Smoke some most days too. Cold filter stuck to side qwet.
Below 0 f.tip on side.all water crap freezes in a day. In 2 days hard freeze..

I love all this information you're dropping here. :hug:

Hmmm....THCa gets stored in the liver and then gets converted to THC by some internal mechanism? Do you have a link to this information?
Sue in the 'bust you metabolism chart,,,,in the margin, there mention of thcA messing with the results, as' repeated use, increased all levels of thc metabolism above the initial incremental dose.' They postulate thcA stored in liver is released by subsequent use.

So,this is an effect that the Leo , chemists are well aware of. So for regular uses they too go way over the trip,wire , early fast faster sooner.. the levels are set way too low. 8 ng/ul .. we call that 'fly shit in peepers '

Old bear never ever decarbed his weed . He uses low temperature whole leaf decomposition into evoo. He reports feeling the thc/cbX entering his system. ThcA and Cbd a is all,that's in low temp extractions. There no phylogeny active effect known to be able to occur. Old bear consumes all,day every day. Good weed too. But never heated to activate 400 % more . Ok old bear get resident thc, 25% of maximum, still,not zero. And he only gets 75% of,The 25%..ok that's still not zero. And he gets 100 % of the thcA. He consumes all,of it, the leaves, the mash left over..to,boot. The thcA once created is bound , by the A. Ok once it's inside you.. it just can't disappear. It can turn to ..gold..silver. Nor hydrogen oxygen neither.. imho it is stored and slowly, like way slowly converted to thc , it must go from thcA to thc before anything else..for high to low energy. We know what occurs with thc, all good. Now you body can use thcA to make a different , higher energy larger molecule. But that's a long way to show and go, and would take energy to boost thc to higher molecule,.. so you burn everything you consume..one way or another.

Ok decarb update.

It way harder to warm/ heat toast the leaf than meets the eye.////

A 230 it temp oven. With
A glass jar full of weed ..is never gonna heat weed to anything above 160-180..ever..... I was under de carbing. Too...
The point and shoot can show real leaf temp.. it's tricky.
Ir camera showed what was happening. No captures just insight.

In the spirit of small batch extraction, I made a 6 gram, 0 f, qwet. Using only 75 ml -10 f ethanol . Want to control..
6 gram = 600 mg thc for sure. Maybe 750 mg..
750 mg/75ml ..with out computer.. 10 mg/ ml.
Ok put 6 gram into 250 ml stainless steel ontainer. Lid is 50-50 s mesh strainer for pour later..
Put into 230 oven weed was 180 max..
up to 275 weed hits 220 . Smells wonderful, toasted not the terpine ,
Ok so I want 230 weed for 42. Inutes.............
Up oven to 290 F , I'm concerned..lol ..toasted nice smell comes out. Weed at 230./
Tune oven from 275 to 290 for 30 minutes more.
Ok toast smell wanes to low. Followed by a Ammonia slight smell. That the last,of,the carboxl acid rings breaking,loose. I waited till,the ammonia smell . Waned. I have smelled,this sequence before.. good results.

So, to get the food to 230 the heat source must be higher. 40-60 f higher. Wanter/ veggeies/ buds.
Metal container for heated process. This conducted the heat you need to drive decarb and extract.

I got distracted since only glass is used to evaporate CCO , and is it convent to,use with qwet. Etc.
Glass it not at all desirable for process vessel for decarb,

Glass in boiling water, great for 160-180 food temp. Chocolates. Not decarb.. he'll not almost for making jam..

Glas for baking will slow heating, but slow cooking more. Metal for baking heats food all around faster than glas. Glas heats slow, top down and corners in first, the heat builds in all,the edges, then the flats .
Metal,goes all red all over , in minutes.glas after 20 minutes has got spots still.

Ok I made
Ba;ckberry extracts and rendered it to jam. Part of the data sue.. ItCame out gourmet /
Extatced fruit 20 times faster, no agaitatiin little squeezing, with ethanol and sugars. Tried just ethanol just sugar. Not as good at all.. together...omg.. then heated for hour inwater , in glass jar. Omg.... try this ..

I'm working to break,the sugar/cinnamon/lol//white pastry used by cinnabon. I'm almost there.. I do need the pastry , however.. I'm an engineer I build things... but pastry chef eludes me..

Brownie cooking ... tool to tell batter temperature.

To sweetest,sue..

Besides the pan with batter in pre heated oven....bla h blah ......375 f is dangerously fine.
Place another pan, full of similar/same weigh or mass/ of water.
Note time close door.
Look,again 15/20/25 when you see tiny bubbles forming in water filled pan. That’s 200 f. Batters 200 f..
Water will,get hotter..
batter absolutely will.
So 200 F minus 70 f about 130/140 f,in 13/14/15 minutes? If so 10 f /minute .
So your batter will,be at 300 f in ten more minutes...10/ it won’t get much hotter maybe 315. But the thc......only has7 minutes.

Here a sure way to,visually see your oven/batter/pan temperature rise using bubbles and a watch.

Happy baking..omg sue .there one store..not too ...wise.. they mark stuff wrong all,the time. They recently got greedy.. raised prices.. bastards.lol .. ok I see ...a buying opportunity...stay tuned... sunrise in under 12 hours... ,,hhhhoooorah. We go,at dawn..lol

Decarb weed — tool- subjective human .. often accurate..

For all,whom wish to decarb and know it decarbed...

Place weed into metal constrainer. You may purchase Bluetooth enabled vassals from old bear , shortly.
Hmm but don’t constrain the fee flow of air. Water must be driven off, and evacuated /exhausted passively to decarb and de gas. You,get toast gas and ammonia like gases. When they wand your done. Let slowly cool.

Oh yeah. Rwerve anout 72.42 mg of bud not decarbed. Place in tray to,side. It the reference.
After decarb place weed into next vessel/ or vassal as the case may be/
Take 73 mg of the decarb weed and place next to first 72.42 mg sample. The slight size difference helps keep,the samples /straight/
Ok I am absolutely taste and sense a difference when the samples are comparatively tip vaporized/low temp single hits/z/

De carved is way better. So,why don’t we decarb lightly light /low vaped/ or fatty joint weed? I’m considering keeping decarb not in ‘next process.

What do,you all,think? Taste method
And toking decarbed weed?

Ps when qwet is used, next step is evaporate to grams of oil. Ok,you can always and I alway do taste test evaporated oil. Yum..
You know it good if it’s pure and tastes that good.. frankly I won’t eat rso/CCO eco/bio //I did not taste test? I have to doing same with food cooking for some time,since sue helped me on the straight and narrow, always tasting ingredients and interim step results. Rewarding .

Decarb weed – tool- subjective human .. often accurate..

For all,whom wish to decarb and know it decarbed...

Place weed into metal constrainer. You may purchase Bluetooth enabled vassals from old bear ��, shortly.
Hmm but don't constrain the fee flow of air. Water must be driven off, and evacuated /exhausted passively to decarb and de gas. You,get toast gas and ammonia like gases. When they wand your done. Let slowly cool.

Oh yeah. Rwerve anout 72.42 mg of bud not decarbed. Place in tray to,side. It the reference.
After decarb place weed into next vessel/ or vassal as the case may be/
Take 73 mg of the decarb weed and place next to first 72.42 mg sample. The slight size difference helps keep,the samples /straight/
Ok I am absolutely taste and sense a difference when the samples are comparatively tip vaporized/low temp single hits/z/

De carved is way better. So,why don't we decarb lightly light /low vaped/ or fatty joint weed? I'm considering keeping decarb not in 'next process.

What do,you all,think? Taste method
And toking decarbed weed?

Ps when qwet is used, next step is evaporate to grams of oil. Ok,you can always and I alway do taste test evaporated oil. Yum..
You know it good if it's pure and tastes that good.. frankly I won't eat rso/CCO eco/bio //I did not taste test? I have to doing same with food cooking for some time,since sue helped me on the straight and narrow, always tasting ingredients and interim step results. Rewarding .

Marc, I once mistakenly decarbed longer than planned, 90 minutes instead of the planned 45, (making brownies at the time) and discovered that decarbed cannabis hits harder and faster than undecarbed, so yes, I used to keep some decarbed on hand. I've decarbed up to 90 minutes, which is only 20 from the recommended 110, and that probably made all the difference. It wasn't fully decarbed, just mostly.

At the time B A R ran his own experiment and verified my findings. I believe I'll go back to doing that again. I don't know why I stopped.

Hello sweet sue..

I have been doing a ton of ‘research’. The oil ‘effciency’ Data came from ‘high times’ . I don’t have links to much. I am the links..lol
I been reading for over 50 years. I recall almost every page of information..just not the page. So,it’s not photo..not ‘look back ability what so,ever’! Only absorb, store, integrate with more.

You are the most fascinating man. :battingeyelashes: :love:
Brownie cooking ... tool to tell batter temperature.

To sweetest,sue..

Besides the pan with batter in pre heated oven....bla h blah ......375 f is dangerously fine.
Place another pan, full of similar/same weigh or mass/ of water.
Note time close door.
Look,again 15/20/25 when you see tiny bubbles forming in water filled pan. That’s 200 f. Batters 200 f..
Water will,get hotter..
batter absolutely will.
So 200 F minus 70 f about 130/140 f,in 13/14/15 minutes? If so 10 f /minute .
So your batter will,be at 300 f in ten more minutes...10/ it won’t get much hotter maybe 315. But the thc......only has7 minutes.

Here a sure way to,visually see your oven/batter/pan temperature rise using bubbles and a watch.

Happy baking..omg sue .there one store..not too ...wise.. they mark stuff wrong all,the time. They recently got greedy.. raised prices.. bastards.lol .. ok I see ...a buying opportunity...stay tuned... sunrise in under 12 hours... ,,hhhhoooorah. We go,at dawn..lol

:laughtwo: "We go at dawn." :rofl: God, you have to a blast to live with Marc.

Ok..... I cook my brownies at 350 for a total of 34 minutes. Do you think I'm compromising my THC, or am I in a safe zone? I mean, the brownies kick ass, don't get me wrong, but if I could refine the process somewhat and be able to use slightly less for the same effect, I'm all ears.

Apparently, blast off to dispensary...delayed.. I’ll go later avoid the car wreck hours..seriously..awful,drivers..anyone remember Pisa for ‘aim high’ get the big picture.nikcevdriving...? Was 60’s-late 70’s..

Ok big error I posted must be removed....

Photosynthesis...peaks for thc between 700-780 nM .light wave..
THIS IS NOT GREEN.. NOT HARDLY.. IN FACT IT VERY TOUGH TO MAKE AT ALL. ....SO WHY DID THIS CANNABIS CHOOSE IT/.
Ok 700 nM. Is below most peoples red vision. Wolf red vision. Viper vision ‘limit’.
780 nM. Is short range infrared . But it’s every bit infra red. So it don’t come naturally folks.. has to coaxed. St great loss of efficiency.

There’s more.....it turns out..photosynthesis ..is more than just sugar. Thieves 3 main types; lol ..a ... b ;; beta carrots ...
Blue and red is used by all plants to make anything.

The leaves ..’look’ green cause the leaf doesn’t need it. It’s rejecting and reflecting oh .>50% > 70% of ‘white light that strikes it.
So nobody use 5000k 6000k light bulbs.wasted energy.
For bulb use 2000 3000k peak. Those...leak more energy into 700-780 nM. ,,light your eye cannot see. Not enough energy in each light bullet to trigger any response from human optic nerve. Yet canna-girl absorbs a narrow slice of this energy.. ... this is ...primordial soup stuff.

And yet more.. they other photo process peak at the other ‘humans can’t see it’ edge of vision light. 500-560 nM. Deep blues. Virtually non existent in the sunlight that makes it way through 20 miles of atmosphere. The sun puts out pure white light for our purposes.. it’s hot and bright white. On a planet , the atmosphere, removes certain sections of the incoming energy. We go to the beach to measure the light standard. It changes with elevation..

So, botanist and Nobel winning growers Now us’ in s, can use blue lamps...with red if lamps .. or
At least know what color light has the best chances to exactly excite our plants..

Sue..explains why plants tolerate...

Window glass... ir...heat goes right through right> ...but so do night cold drafts...got to heat solarium for ir.not just ‘temp’
Shaded parts..the blue is low.but it’s reflected ...everywhere...look up... blue..look up west blue.’east blue.. omg.. the girls knew,
Btw. Explains moon link...I’m pretty sure. Gtg to store... rso ..marked so wrong...

So deep blue...and red..equal lumens are fine///more is better///

It works! Really well in fact.
Using 25ml of ISo alc and 1g ground and decarbed bud I made a tincture and filtered it, I ended up with 21ml, then added it to 25ml evoo. After it was stirred up the colour got paler and it looked slightly milky and no longer transparent. I stirred for 5mins then left it to evaporate slowly in the warm at around 25*c
I checked after an hour and it had returned to its original colour and was down to 32ml so still had some alcohol to evaporate off.
After 2 hours it was down to just over 25ml and there was no smell of alcohol at all.
No lab access for me here but my small sample taster certainly hit fast with a floaty, muscle relaxing high.
It’s a very easy experiment to do at home and I think I’ll give it a go with some other oils too.

Do you think it would work as well with high proof grain alcohol? Everclear type?

For sure. I’m not certain what abv everclear is but anything that’s not alcohol will be water so that may be the only issue. I imagine the water would evaporate off pretty easily with a little heat and leave the evoo as it was except for all the extract trapped inside it, so no real problem there. Unsless its 100% alcohol used for the tincture then any lecithin should be added once all evaporating is complete.

It works! Really well in fact.
Using 25ml of ISo alc and 1g ground and decarbed bud I made a tincture and filtered it, I ended up with 21ml, then added it to 25ml evoo. After it was stirred up the colour got paler and it looked slightly milky and no longer transparent. I stirred for 5mins then left it to evaporate slowly in the warm at around 25*c
I checked after an hour and it had returned to its original colour and was down to 32ml so still had some alcohol to evaporate off.
After 2 hours it was down to just over 25ml and there was no smell of alcohol at all.
No lab access for me here but my small sample taster certainly hit fast with a floaty, muscle relaxing high.
It’s a very easy experiment to do at home and I think I’ll give it a go with some other oils too.

It should work the same way with Everclear Oldbear. They're both alcohol.

Well done Plant Power. :high-five: Another option to draw on. Sounds like that worked better than you thought it would. :laughtwo: I might have panicked when it went milky. Lol!

I have a cup warmer that hears to around 120-140 degrees F that might work to evaporate off.

How did you make the tincture?

It should work the same way with Everclear Oldbear. They're both alcohol.

Well done Plant Power. :high-five: Another option to draw on. Sounds like that worked better than you thought it would. :laughtwo: I might have panicked when it went milky. Lol!

I have a cup warmer that hears to around 120-140 degrees F that might work to evaporate off.

How did you make the tincture?

Haha, yes! The more I stirred the cloudier it got and I did start to wonder if it'd ever go back. I know oils only like to mix with other oils unless there's an emulsifier in the mix so I had (some) faith it'd be ok eventually..... I looked again this morning and it's unchanged from last night, not split or separated and still a lovely gold/green colour.

The tincture is made in my little freezer filter but it could be easily replicated at home. I use an ice filter I've made but it could be easily recreated at home with what I used as my prototypes......
A mason jar with the 2 part lid and a coffee filter is all you need. Remove the disc from the lid, place it on the coffee filter and draw around it, cut it out and save for later. You'll also need to find a small glass or ceramic bowl that can go into the freezer ready to catch the tincture when you upend the mason jar. A couple of cut up chop sticks were perfect to left the lid away from the bowl but you could use anything really.

2g ground and decarbed bud in a mason screw top jar, lid on. 1hr
Iso alc in the freezer (-18) 1 hr
Quickly pour the required amount of iso into the jar, lid on, gentle shake then back into the freezer for 5 mins.
Remove the lid, and replace the metal disc with the coffee filter disc and carefully screw it back on.
Quickly and carefully turn over the jar and set it into the bowl, sat on the chop sticks and put it back into the freezer. Close the freezer draw and leave it to filter.
The iso will run out through the filter and into a glass bowl, all while staying ice cold.
Leave for 20-30 mins and all the iso should have collected in the bowl.
Remove from the freezer and press the buds to remove the last of the liquid if you want. I choose not to do this as I prefer no 'green' in the oil.
Thats the tincture ready to use or evaporate off to make oil.

A cup warmer would be ideal for a low/medium temp evaporation, as long as it doesnt get too hot then the majority off terps will remain trapped in the evoo. I have a slow cooker that has a keep warm setting which is around 50-60 degrees C which would also work well for a larger batch.

I had a look online and the everclear you guys can buy in the USA is 95% abv so 5% is water, this should be totally fine for the process mentioned above. If you freeze Everclear for an hour or so ice crystals of water will form and should sink to the bottom so if the Everclear was poured slowly and carefully at -18 degree then you should be able to leave the ice at the bottom of the bottle and you'll effectively be using something close to 100% alcohol which is ideal.

P.S Use rubber gloves for any of the process that involves handling the frozen jar, alc, bowl etc. It's very easy to get stuck!!!

Back
Top Bottom