Swollen stem on seedling, now split up stem: two questions

Nuderalis

420 Member
Hi, first time grower here so early days, but one seedling has develpoed strangely.

I planted 4 x auto Dwarf seeds (regular, not feminised, indoor/soil/led 120w) and all are okay except one which seems to be 'throttled' at the top of the stem since a few days after germinating, as if I had put a tiny inflexible band there, if you see what I mean. I can't find anything online to say if it is a nutrition difficiency or any other reason.

It's now about a week in and the cotyledons and first proper leaves have appeared, but are tiny and not developing like the other three, stunted. Then the stem swelled up to twice the thickness and stopped gaining height at about 2cm. The other three are at least double that height too. I gave it about 5ml of water earlier and the swollen stem has now split veritically almost the whole length of the stem!

**See photos below**

I imagine its days are numbered but I'm going to leave it growing to see if is repairs itself or dies.

First question: Anyone know why this has happened? I'm guessing maybe it was a defect waiting to happen from before germination but it's literally a wild guess based on zero experience.

Second question: As it's basically a write-off, would it be worth very carefully extending the split upwards (with a surgical grade blade) to the throttled zone (but stopping before the leaves) in the hope that it may ease or unblock the xylem or whatever, and maybe it will heal or recover to some extent? Or would that be sudden death for a week old baby?

Any answers, guesses, or encouragement to unleash the blade welcome!

edit: when I say exten the split, I mean just lightly cut just the outermost 'skin' on the stem where it is tight, I don't mean cut in as deep as the split.

Swollen-Split-Stem-AuDw-04.jpgSwollen-Split-Stem-AuDw-03.jpgSwollen-Split-Stem-AuDw-02.jpgSwollen-Split-Stem-AuDw-01.jpg

I'd leave the split alone, and give the plant a chance to grow out of it. Did the seed case fall on its own, or did you have to remove it? The case may have clamped down on the stem and damaged it as it dried.

I'd leave the split alone, and give the plant a chance to grow out of it. Did the seed case fall on its own, or did you have to remove it? The case may have clamped down on the stem and damaged it as it dried.
Seed was planted with case, after about 2 hours in water. I have gently pushed some soil away and retrieved the case, it is not open as with the others I have seen (as in ones that got pulled out as the stem first emerges and fall onto the surface of soil, open like an open clam). There is a gap but it's very narrow so suggests it may not have been 'an easy birth' and clamped the stem, as you say.

The stem split doesn't go all the way down, see new photos, including a better look at the top of stem before the leaves, which are about a quarter of the surface area of the other three seedlings.

IMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPGIMG_0039.jpgIMG_0042.jpgIMG_0033.jpg

Okay, that's tomorrow morning now, if I can find a pharmacy open. But it is what it is. Thanks all for your advice.

One last thing - any downsides to peroxide flush other than the mild inconvenience?
If you mix it wrong you kill your plants.

Back
Top Bottom