Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Maybe bread isn't the best thing to hydrate with after all, lol? I came in from the grocery store "a while back" in pain AND with a full bladder, and just stuck my two sacks of groceries (canned goods, box of spaghetti) into the cabinet instead of taking the stuff out properly.

So I went to grab a can of soup out just now, didn't see it, figured out it was in one of the grocery store bags...

...and found a loaf of bread that'd been marked down to 55 cents <WHOOPS> .

I hadn't even opened the bread, since I'd forgotten about purchasing it that day.

It was moldy. Must have been viable mold spores inside the bag from the source. Maybe something like an apple slice IS a better hydration aid? I was thinking bread to be better than fruit because it isn't quite so moist. However (assuming one peels the fruit first), the inside of a piece of fruit is probably a "cleaner" thing than a piece of bread.

IDK. I ended up making a half-arsed hot dog soup.

Half-arsed hot dog soup probably tasted delicious TS. I'm glad you got anything in. :hug:

The bread worked wonderfully. Thank you for the idea. When it hit 75% RH I went ahead and cobbed up an ounce. :slide:

I wrapped this one differently, folding the edges over before rolling. The whole process works better if I smash it all together as tightly as I can, coming as close to a cigar shape with flat ends instead of tapered. Then I fold the side flaps over and roll as snugly as possible, without tearing the husk.

Then I compress it in my hands to get it even tighter, unroll, smash the ends to the center with all my might, and wrap it up all over again. My fingers smell like delicious DC, and there're oil spots on the iPad screen I'll have to clean up later. Lol! Most of the sticky oil on the fingers rubs off on the husk when rolling.

Pulled out the dehydrator for this one. The cob's down in the center of the beast. Lol!

The heat is set to around 104 F and the alarm is set for 7 AM, when I'll open it up to check.

The DC has buds a bit more dense than Malawi, so I'll keep a close watch on this cob. I'm pretty sure I understand what Tangwena means about the color going into the fermenting stage. You want it getting dark in that stage, not necessarily in the sweat. I'm sure we'll begin to notice chemovar expressions. I have a feeling I could have pulled the Malawi buds out at 12 hours and they've been near perfect.

Damn! This is great fun guys. Lol! I can't wait to hear the excitement when a group of us starts testing our first cobs. WooHoo!

Hoping the rehydration works I have Ghost Train Haze is like to cob.

I'd give it a try Pennywise. That only took overnight to get an ounce up to over 75%. I was much impressed. I like the bigger jars for those steps, like drying with rice suspended above in silk. The moisture transfers go pretty smoothly for me with the material above the buds.

Ghost Train Haze

I haven't had the opportunity to try that one, but I've read good things about it.

Half-arsed hot dog soup probably tasted delicious TS. I'm glad you got anything in.

Lol. As I mentioned, dear, it tasted salty. For me, there's salty, fizzy, burns, and bites. Salty being obvious, I suppose. Fizzy is soda pop that hasn't gone flat. Burns - that's habeneros and such. Bites - that's the feeling I got at the back of each side of my jaw when I ate a lemon without dumping quite as much salt on each slice as I generally tried to do. Been that way for... seven years? Whenever it was that the dental surgeon cut out all my upper teeth, although I don't blame him for it. I've had raging tinnitus since then, too, likely from eating (generic) Tylenol like a fat kid eats candy for months and months before I was able to get the procedure done. Other than that, on a really good day I can get an extremely mild and vague hint about what food tastes like, but it's not enough to... Well, I don't know - because I try to eat what I buy before it goes to waste (the bread was a horrible exception!) - but I suspect that if I was served something far, far past freshness, I'd only be able to tell by observing the little crawly things living in it.

Mostly these days, if I "taste food," it's because I woke up in the middle of a dream. Yes, I sometimes dream about eating. Kind of puts the kibosh on enjoying a meal, huh? But it has its upside; eating the same kind of stuff week after week after... year because that's what's cheapest would have been a lot harder to do back in the day when every food item tasted different (and wonderful, methinks, oh how I wish we could record tastes like we can record audio) and I was too stupid to truly appreciate each and everything I ate just for how it tasted.

The bread worked wonderfully. Thank you for the idea.

You are - as always, of course - very welcome. But - and I'm somewhat reminded of when I once thought that us "stoners" often ended up constructing ridiculously complicated "Rube Goldberg" type affairs to accomplish even the simplest of tasks because, hey, that's just how our minds work, lol. But... Wouldn't it be easier (and guaranteed to not add anything we do not want in our buds) to just drip a few drops of distilled water onto bud that we feel is too dry, lol? An entire gallon is only 75 or 80 cents.

I wrapped this one differently

I didn't mention it at the time, choosing instead to join in with the off-color feces jokes. But those things sort of remind me of when... I cannot recall which member it was, but someone created a hemp-leaf cannabis cigar, and it looked something like that. Two questions:
Is there some reason to use corn husks instead of fresh cannabis leaves? That'd provide some moisture without adding any non-cannabis products (and I'm sure you have access to a fresh leaf "or two" ;) ).
Is the finished product smokable as it is? IOW, can you simply light one end and draw from the other? If so... Oh. Yeah. It'd put the Twisty Glass Blunt to shame in terms of number of hits (and how badly the last few taste of resin), I guess.

smash it all together as tightly as I can

I compress it in my hands to get it even tighter

smash the ends to the center with all my might

Is the finished product as difficult to run through a human-powered grinder as I fear it might be? I suddenly have a mental image of trying to grind concrete by hand. (Although, to be fair, my buddy "R" ended up grinding a metal spring that was on the table at the time with that Space Case grinder you gave me when we visited, a few weeks later when there was a little piece of bud to be had between the two (three, actually, there was another person that day) of us and everyone was in too much of a hurry to pay much attention to anything other than the fact that we were about to get to smoke bud, and that grinder still works fine - so 'tis not the grinder I'm concerned about, just the person's hands/wrists.)

and there're oil spots on the iPad screen I'll have to clean up later. Lol!

I think it was '93 or '94 when I got on a "hash oil" (what we called it at the time) making kick, and ended up with dark, dark "stains" (smelled like the real thing if you heated it, lol, so I don't know that it was technically just a stain) on what must have been half my wardrobe. I still have one pair of jeans with an "oil stain" from those days, but it's pretty ragged.

Hmm... I wonder what I'd experience if I cut that last oil stain from its piece of clothing and tried to smoke it :rolleyes: ?

But... Wouldn't it be easier (and guaranteed to not add anything we do not want in our buds) to just drip a few drops of distilled water onto bud that we feel is too dry, lol? An entire gallon is only 75 or 80 cents.

Dripping water introduces moisture in a different way, more concentrated in spots, which might cause problems with mold. Rehydrating like I did felt like the right way to go, and I try to follow my instincts.

TorturedSouI said:
didn't mention it at the time, choosing instead to join in with the off-color feces jokes. But those things sort of remind me of when... I cannot recall which member it was, but someone created a hemp-leaf cannabis cigar, and it looked something like that. Two questions:
Is there some reason to use corn husks instead of fresh cannabis leaves? That'd provide some moisture without adding any non-cannabis products (and I'm sure you have access to a fresh leaf "or two" ;) ).
Is the finished product smokable as it is? IOW, can you simply light one end and draw from the other? If so... Oh. Yeah. It'd put the Twisty Glass Blunt to shame in terms of number of hits (and how badly the last few taste of resin), I guess.

That was the Roach. Marvelous work of art, that cannabis cigar. It's been a while since my dear friend checked in. :battingeyelashes: :love:

TorturedSoul said:
Is the finished product as difficult to run through a human-powered grinder as I fear it might be? I suddenly have a mental image of trying to grind concrete by hand.

It can get dense enough that you'll need to cut pieces off with a knife, but I'd think rock hard wouldn t be desirable. There should always be a certain amount of pliability, don't you think?

TorturedSoul said:
I think it was '93 or '94 when I got on a "hash oil" (what we called it at the time) making kick, and ended up with dark, dark "stains" (smelled like the real thing if you heated it, lol, so I don't know that it was technically just a stain) on what must have been half my wardrobe. I still have one pair of jeans with an "oil stain" from those days, but it's pretty ragged.

Hmm... I wonder what I'd experience if I cut that last oil stain from its piece of clothing and tried to smoke it :rolleyes: ?

I knew you'd end up there. :rofl:

I knew you'd end up there. :rofl:

I tried very hard to - but I couldn't find that old ragged pair of pants, after all. Probably wouldn't have been... useful, anyway.

After 12 hours at 104 F she’s ready to go into the fermentation Stage. I’ll let the cob dry to the touch before resealing and tossing it in the bag with the others.

Rehydration worked. :yahoo: Oh guys.......time to look at the inventory with new eyes. Hehe! I have Blue Dream and Carnival in reserve. Mmmmm...... I'll try to hold off until these are done. Lol!

I have dried flowers of both chemovars I've cobbed. Can't do a decent comparison without, eh?

just for my notes sue, you rehydrated in or out of vacuum seal.. seems dumb to ask as it would hydrate in bag if it were Sealed that is

The rehydration was done by suspending a silk with a slice of fresh bread over the buds, closed up in a large jar. This keeps the bread off the cannabis - no need to sacrifice the trichomes, eh? - for at least overnight. After the hygrometer read over 80% RH I removed the bread and left the meter in the jar for over 5 hours to be certain it was the buds registering the increase in humidity, not just the bread.

When the humidity stabilized at 75% I went for it. It may take more than one try with drier buds. I store mine with 62% Bovedas.

I have arrived. Sorry for my delayed presence. Ve had two deffective phones in the past month, and i guess all my apps didnt transfer over. How's everyone doing??? Things are going great for us over here.

There you are! :yahoo: Oh Canna, you need to try this with an indica. :battingeyelashes:

/me is cautiously optimistic.

/me is cautiously optimistic.

And I'm boldly optimistic TS. Lol! I have no doubt that Tangwena's telling the truth in his accounts. I don't really know what to expect, but I'm fearless. I'll jump in and enjoy whatever comes.

Back
Top Bottom