Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

I too have a problem with my head.
I am very sorry to hear it!

I have to take SRI's since I had a bad reaction to a covid shot and ended up in hospital.
I have had several severe vaccine reactions, and I do not trust vaccines now, as a result of my personal experience.

My life will never be the same unfortunately, the pills make me feel nothing not up not down.
But chewing the cob makes me feel everything and more the more I take.
I tried weaning myself off the SRI's I'm now on the minimum dose.
But without them I go completely off the rails so I have to keep on with the damn things.
I know what you mean. It took me a long time to kick pills. They mask, but they do not cure.

The science behind cannabis is the wild west of science and at the moment is not worth the paper its written on.
You have found CBD works well for your condition which is great. But there may be other compounds formed while fermenting that work better for you.
Caution always but who's to know you never know until you try.
Yes, I am looking forward to trying it!
Hopefully the 11 Roses should be ready next week.
The next grow I want to try to grow some sativa to put into cob. :thumb:

As I mentioned previously, CBD interferes with THC's ability to properly bind to the CB1 receptor and therefore reduces the 'high.
Ahh, yes. Thank you for that.
You change your screen name?
I did. I thought "El Gringuito" would be a fun name, since I am here in Colombia. But I think my autism and head injuries get in the way of communication. I try to explain things, and people try to explain things, and it seems like I did not get the WiFi password, and I do not always get the drift or direction, so it causes problems.

I thought I could call myself AspieCBD (short for Aspergers Syndrome), but then I thought people would be calling me "Asp", and that did not sound good! 😂
MedScientist was taken (haha), so I thought MedCBD might be more to the point. Because I do not mean to be hard to talk to. It just seems to be how it turned out!
Totally agree. Have to try some and see. No reason to commit an entire harvest up front, but setting some aside to try it certainly makes sense.
:thumb:
What's the minimum time needed to properly cure it this way? Longer probably better but what's the general window?
Tangwena will know best but I read 3 months is a good minimum, 6 months is better. Tangwena will know.

Ok, the Eleven Roses sprouted nanners, so it was cutting time.
I went and bought ten ears of corn. I hope it is enough to do all of this.
I am thinking Sunday or Monday she will be ready.

cut.jpg

Do I want to start so she sweats? (More sweating = better flavor and effects?)
Or do I want her a little drier, so she does not sweat?

Best to err on the dry side those are big buds so they will most likely have a lot of moisture in them.
Dry them until they are just smokeable in a joint that keeps going out and needs constant re lighting.
That will be about the best time to vacuum seal them to sweat.
You should get a couple of cobs out of that lot.

Best to err on the dry side
Ohhh..... the dry side???? Ok, thanks!
In that case, I thought I should try to cob the Blueberry Crystal now, as I had a couple of hours, and the Blueberry Crystal is almost dry.
(And then I can cob the 11 Roses when it is ready in a few days).
those are big buds so they will most likely have a lot of moisture in them.
Dry them until they are just smokeable in a joint that keeps going out and needs constant re lighting.
That will be about the best time to vacuum seal them to sweat.
Thanks. I think I know what you mean.
You would have to hold a match to the Blueberry Crystal to keep it lit.
It is still moist enough that when you squeeze it, nothing crinkles or breaks.
You should get a couple of cobs out of that lot.
This is the Blueberry Crystal.
Is this how you make it? I tried to wrap it tight.

Cob like this.jpg

I was not sure how fat to make them, so I thought I would try a few different widths.
Two of them I think are TOO wide, but I did not want to re-tie them.

test malawi cobs.jpg

Now I need to vacuum seal the cobs, and sweat, right?
I put a small piece of bud, for inspection.
The bud is pretty dry, but the insides of the corn husks were moister.
I am hoping the test bud will still be moist enough, and that it will still sweat, even though it was not in contact with the moist inner corn liner.
I am sure that the buds INSIDE the corn husks will have a lot more moisture.

vacuum.jpg

How important is it to be 104F exactly? (What is the range?)
One of my harsher heat mats was 118F.
I stacked TWO of my softer MET heat mats stacked on top of each other, and the heat range is about 112F.
With only one mat it is like 95F.
What is the range??
115 sweat.jpg

Uh oh.
I am not sure what happened, but it looks like I lost the seal.
At least I know there is plenty of moisture, hahaha.
I guess I will dry them off, and try to re-seal them.
At least the temperature looks good (one at 104F, and one at 106F. I could not have planned that.)

Uh oh.jpg

I am not sure why those other bags did not stay sealed.
I wrapped them pretty tight yesterday (and gave myself a blood blister doing it).
Now that the corn husks have been "steamed" they seemed looser, so I re-wrapped the cobs, to make them tight.
I hope these bags will stay sealed.
(They are covered. Now they just have to come back up to temperature.)
Try again...

try again.jpg

I would think that with all the moisture in the corn husk, it is normal to have condensation inside. :) Maybe too much. :hmmmm: I used dry corn husk, but went back to parchment paper, as it's easier to work with. :)
It might help to go back and look at page one of Sweet Sue's "How to" on page one of the link.:)

Hi GW! Nice to greet you.
I would think that with all the moisture in the corn husk, it is normal to have condensation inside. :) Maybe too much. :hmmmm:
That seems good to know. I was a little worried that the Blueberry Crystal was a little bit TOO dry (as I think it has been laying around for about a week and a half). It was actually a relief to see the condensation, to know that there will be enough moisture to do the cob.
I figure with re-wrapping the husks tighter, hopefully the moisture can do a better job of penetrating (so this set of failed vacuum bags *might have saved the cob).
In the future I will be more aware of the corn husks, now that I know what to expect.

I used dry corn husk, but went back to parchment paper, as it's easier to work with. :)
That seems good to know!
Thanks!

It might help to go back and look at page one of Sweet Sue's "How to" on page one of the link.:)

Yes, thanks.
I did that.
The instructions seem to make a lotmore sense after you have already done one, lol. :D
:nicethread:

Oy. I do not know if you can see that, but the bags have "inflated" a little again.
It is not really enough "inflation" that I can squeeze the bags, to see if there is a leak.
Only, I tend to doubt that the bags sprung a leak, because all they are doing is sitting there.
💡
Is it possible that the sack is being filled with gasses from the fermentation process?

I am thinking about cleaning and resealing later tonight, and then extending the sweat until morning.

whoosh.jpg

Does it benefit more from more sweating time?
Or is that a personal preference thing?

Ok, I could be totally wrong on this, but I assume the gas buildup in the bag was from fermentation (not a leak).

I am glad there was sufficient moisture in the cob to get everything wet, but now I am getting tired of changing bags (ha ha), so I rolled the cobs in a dish towel (one by one, of course) and squeezed out any moisture I could. Then I put everything in new bags and resealed.
The bag smelled faintly like alcohol, so I assume fermentation is taking place.
In the morning I will check them and the chart again.

Uh oh.
I am not sure what happened, but it looks like I lost the seal.
At least I know there is plenty of moisture, hahaha.
I guess I will dry them off, and try to re-seal them.
At least the temperature looks good (one at 104F, and one at 106F. I could not have planned that.)
For my 2 cents, unfortunately I suspect your bud was holding too much moisture when you cobbed them.
I hope not, but blowing up the bags twice like that... what else could it be but water vapour?

If it was me I would consider trying to dry off the buds more before re-vacsealing them again. I'd be concerned about the bud rotting or something and ending up with very dark cobs.

But @gwhunran is right, it's worth looking at the beginning of the thread to check you're following the steps.

Oy. I do not know if you can see that, but the bags have "inflated" a little again.
It is not really enough "inflation" that I can squeeze the bags, to see if there is a leak.
Only, I tend to doubt that the bags sprung a leak, because all they are doing is sitting there.
💡
Is it possible that the sack is being filled with gasses from the fermentation process?

I am thinking about cleaning and resealing later tonight, and then extending the sweat until morning.

whoosh.jpg

Does it benefit more from more sweating time?
Or is that a personal preference thing?
Looks like they are just sweating. I usually see this for a couple three days during the process. Unpackage and dry with a paper towel and let sit in the open air for a hour or so and then repack. May need to do this for a couple of days or so till no visual water present in their vacuum bags. My concern would be the smell as I have never had a alcohol smell associated with the cobing process. Good luck.

For my 2 cents, unfortunately I suspect your bud was holding too much moisture when you cobbed them.
Yeah. It is kind of hard to know the first time you do anything.
Actually I think the buds were dry enough. I think it was the moist inner liner of the corn cobs (because they were pretty moist).
I was concerned about not having ENOUGH moisture, but it turns out there was plenty!
I think it takes a lot less water to activate this, than what I was thinking.
I hope not, but blowing up the bags twice like that... what else could it be but water vapour?
There was a lot of water. There were still a few sweat droplets this morning, and I dried them and resealed.
Next time I will know that less water is needed (or I will dry them harder after the sweat).
If it was me I would consider trying to dry off the buds more before re-vacsealing them again. I'd be concerned about the bud rotting or something and ending up with very dark cobs.
Yeah. I dried them real good. I think this next time I will have a better idea.
So I take it from your answer that if there is too much water the cobs get dark, and that is not good?
And it still works fine even if there are NOT sweat droplets??
But @gwhunran is right, it's worth looking at the beginning of the thread to check you're following the steps.
Yes. I needed to dry the cobs more.
Thanks.

Looks like they are just sweating. I usually see this for a couple three days during the process.
Thanks, Chungo!
You sweat for three days?
What does the extra time in sweat get you?
Unpackage and dry with a paper towel and let sit in the open air for a hour or so and then repack. May need to do this for a couple of days or so till no visual water present in their vacuum bags.
I think what I was not understanding is that the warming causes the corn cob to release a lot of moisture, and that the bud does not need to get WET--it only needs to get damp!
My concern would be the smell as I have never had a alcohol smell associated with the cobing process. Good luck.
Yes, I smelled them again. I used the wrond words to describe it.
Did you ever cook fruit, to make compote (stewed fruit)?
This one smells like a cross between cannabis, and sweet blueberries!!
:slide:

I have been smoking this cob for about a month now (Parmesan Indica) and would say it hits me right away and a joint of this cob put me on the couch for about 2-2.5 hours. I have asthma and have started to cough with these joints so I have now been trying to eat 1/4 in. thick dime size cob pieces for the last 3-4 days. Well the high takes me about one hour to start and doesn't really hit for 2-3 hours. The high is more intense than the smoking and very enjoyable which lasts longer The pieces I have eaten if ground and smoked would probably be about a rolled joint. Now if I could only find a way to make the consumption for the cob better tasting.....

Thanks, Chungo!
You sweat for three days?
What does the extra time in sweat get you?

I think what I was not understanding is that the warming causes the corn cob to release a lot of moisture, and that the bud does not need to get WET--it only needs to get damp!

:slide:
I sweat my cobs for at least 2 days once or twice for 3 days. I like to get the moisture under control before I lower the temp and repack for 2 weeks. Even during the two week repack I check for water droplets.
Just a note the fermentation process is faster the higher the temp and conversely the lower the temp the slower the fermentation. So I also make Sauerkraut as a example using fermentation and it takes about a month or two however the temp is at a cooler room temp of about 50F.

Yeah. I dried them real good. I think this next time I will have a better idea.
So I take it from your answer that if there is too much water the cobs get dark, and that is not good?
And it still works fine even if there are NOT sweat droplets??
Yes that is my understanding, too wet causes the cobs to come out dark. I have only made cobs on 2 occasions and each time I got none to barely any sweat droplets. I understand the darker cobs can give a different result that some people like but I have no experience to relate on darker cobs.
Yes the warm sweat stage will change the inherent moisture to water vapour.

I wrapped mine in baking paper. I would have happily used corn husks if I had them but even so I would guess that dry ones should be used.
I found a similar funky smell with mine.

Back
Top Bottom