Tent extension?

Hi all something has been bugging me since I started indoor growing......no not the cost....no not the time or effort......haha no not mooching friends on your stash....but height issues :nervous-guy:

Anyone else here ever wonder if they make a tent extension? I know I can't be the only one who has said "damn I wish I had like 12"+ more of space"....but no lol

So due to the current size of one of my girls.... I was browsing 2x2x84 corner tents for her specifically....but noooooo... Pricing is insane and they don't make them that size.....so again for ing me to use my noggin.

So now here's my question has anyone cut the top of they're tent built an addition 12" + box, secured it to the tent and then hung the light through it? I'm thinking this is highly possible....
As shown in the pics below Im thinking using some kind of box frame, wrapping it in something(not sure yet as it won't need to reflect light above the light) and figuring where to cut a hole for ventilation for the box.

Please has anyone done this....or even if you've pondered on it, I'd like to hear your thoughts ......or or....if they make said product I'd be interested.

But check it out
First pic is of "box on top" which would be secured to the upper frame. And the. The light would hang from upper structure down to tent.

Second pic is where I would cut a flap(flap could then be used as one of the sides to the new upper box) to allow cord and light to pass through.

IMG_20220629_172521820~2.jpg

IMG_20220629_172502248~2.jpg

I would but that would only give me roughly 6" of extra space and I'm going to be flipping the photo that is about 6" from the light currently.....so figuring with space I may need the full 5ft height of the tent to prepare for stretch phase, which we know is unpredictable in terms of how much.... Or buy a new tent.....but that's out the question for now.

I think some brands do have tents that they have extensions for. I wanna say secret jardin have one. Could you not just shorten your light hanger and get the light much closer to the top of the tent?
And from what I saw with a quick look they do not have tent extensions... But they do have spare tent parts that I could buy to make the new frame so it would have a similar stability?!

No mate - take the bottom out and raise the tent, then skirt the gap
Been there
Brilliant.... Okay so cut the bottom... Put tent on table and have plant sit in tray on floor?

Brilliant.... Okay so cut the bottom... Put tent on table and have plant sit in tray on floor?
Yeah, the bottom usually unzips away so then (spare fittings is tidiest) just raise the tent; a new floor is a bugger site easier than a new roof
You don't even need to seal up the skirt if you're doing an auto run and have a decent extractor with a good neg P
Oh, and maybe pinch out earlier next time lol :hookah:

Anyway, take the four wires that attach to each corner of the light fitting
Remove two and connect ends of the two remaining to the adjacent bracket on the lamp, so you just have a loop each end
Hook these two loops directly to the carabiner and get rid of the yoyo
You now have another 12" headroom :cool:

My tent is a 2x2x6.5 foot, cost me $115 Canadian.
But what Roy is talking about is probably better for you. I don't know if the place I ordered it from ships to the US anyway.
Mine is 80 x 80 x 160cm, so I grow all strains around 50-60cm with tipping/pot size/lights

@Roy Growin thanks bought me some time and room.

IMG_20220629_185808438.jpg

IMG_20220629_185802552_HDR.jpg
I went with something similar. Since the cross-members in the ceiling did not match where I wanted the light I cut 1X3s, 1X2s or 2X2s to a length shorter than the dimensions of the tent so they could easily be slid into place.

Used screw in eyes into the wood and then hung the lights. Eliminated the cable and was able to get a bit more room. Used colored zip ties to color code the cables from each light. That way I knew which one to unplug from the timer if I needed to.

hanging lights.jpg

Those were the ones that came to mind. Really expensive but the quality probably makes up for it. If I remember right they make extensions for height and some for making wider tents.
Yea price is key..... 100s for a bit of customization it's not worth it to me I'd rather break out scissors and cut a hole lol but I did check out the company and products....they have some really nice huge tents.. if only I had the room lol.

And that's a good idea replacing them with the color coding and reworking.... I get nervous with heat and fires... I don't want an oops so It being so high up made me nervous, but luckily it's close to my exhaust fan so it'll draw any heat that would be a worry to me.

Yea price is key..... 100s for a bit of customization it's not worth it to me I'd rather break out scissors and cut a hole lol but I did check out the company and products....they have some really nice huge tents.. if only I had the room lol.
I like the idea of cutting out the floor and then the home-making of an extension at the bottom. But I am not that handy so I figured the price of the tent and the prices of material to custom make one. By the time I was done figuring I realized it would cost me less in money and frustration to just buy the tent that fit from floor to ceiling with 3 inches to spare.;)

I like the idea of cutting out the floor and then the home-making of an extension at the bottom. But I am not that handy so I figured the price of the tent and the prices of material to custom make one. By the time I was done figuring I realized it would cost me less in money and frustration to just buy the tent that fit from floor to ceiling with 3 inches to spare.;)
Right lol I have all kinds of scrap at work and home to mcgiver something fairly quick... Half my job is "figuring it out" lol so when I see a problem I put the old think tank to work.

Back
Top Bottom