That weird feeling you get - Grower Talk

Also ... along those same lines, my mom taught me a great line to use when I was a mere lad. I mean, like about ten years old. I have never forgotten it, and use it on occasion.

When someone asks you a question that is really none of their damn business (and this includes cops) look at them with a smile and sincerely ask, "Now, why would you need to know that?" then shut the hell up and watch them squirm trying to answer YOUR question.

I had an electric trimmer in a box in the back of my truck once and got stopped by a cop for something stupid. It was new and had no residue on it. After writing his chicken shit ticket for the light not working over my license plate he points to the box and says, "What is THAT used for?" I said, "huh?" and he asked again. I looked him in the eye and smiled and said, "Now, why in the world would you need to know that?" He blinked and mumbled something about "Just curious." I kept looking him in the eye and said "I guess that's just part of your job, eh? To be curious?" He said, "Yea" and as he handed me my license I said, "Well, you be safe out there officer - good bye", and turned around and got back in the truck.

It pisses my wife off to NO end, but my first reaction to a question is to respond with a question. Practice it, it becomes natural.

~ Auggie ~

Also ... along those same lines, my mom taught me a great line to use when I was a mere lad. I mean, like about ten years old. I have never forgotten it, and use it on occasion.

When someone asks you a question that is really none of their damn business (and this includes cops) look at them with a smile and sincerely ask, "Now, why would you need to know that?" then shut the hell up and watch them squirm trying to answer YOUR question.

I had an electric trimmer in a box in the back of my truck once and got stopped by a cop for something stupid. It was new and had no residue on it. After writing his chicken shit ticket for the light not working over my license plate he points to the box and says, "What is THAT used for?" I said, "huh?" and he asked again. I looked him in the eye and smiled and said, "Now, why in the world would you need to know that?" He blinked and mumbled something about "Just curious." I kept looking him in the eye and said "I guess that's just part of your job, eh? To be curious?" He said, "Yea" and as he handed me my license I said, "Well, you be safe out there officer - good bye", and turned around and got back in the truck.

It pisses my wife off to NO end, but my first reaction to a question is to respond with a question. Practice it, it becomes natural.

~ Auggie ~

LMAO :rofl: That is epic and I am going to follow your mom's advice also if you do not mind

LMAO :rofl: That is epic and I am going to follow your mom's advice also if you do not mind

No prob buddy. Use it. There are too many nosy judgmental assholes out there.

The trick with this is not to ask "the question" like a smart ass. Or with anger. Ask it with true sincerity and a friendly smile: "Now, why in the world would you need to know that?" Hold their gaze, put the question on your face when they look at you ... you really want to know why they need to know that. And use the word "need".

And, consider that, maybe they DO need to know. If it's your doctor asking you an uncomfortable question, maybe he needs to know so he can treat you. If that guy building those trays were to say "because if you're using it for ag purposes I know I need to make it out of stainless instead of aluminum" ... now, THAT is a reasonable reason to need to know.

99% of the time I ask that question, all it get is mumbles and a wish from the offending person that he'd minded his own business. It really makes people squirm. Because at that point they realize that they don't NEED to know ... its fun. It works on bosses, and employees and co-workers and wives and cops and lawyers and clergy and anyone that is stepping over a line.

~ Auggie ~

The only items I am interested in getting at the garden store are coco coir bricks, perlite and fish emulsion. The rest of the stuff I order online. Since coco coir is such a rare gardening item in my neck of the woods, I always get asked what do you use it for. I usually say bonsai and end up with a grinning husband whom I am kicking in his shins as I begin to explain why their bonsai is dying and how to grow bonsai correctly. Somehow I end-up with a crowd of junior bonsai enthusiasts asking me questions as if I work there or am holding a Home Depot advanced bonsai class.

As I obliterate my hubby with a quick Asian I WILL DESTROY YOU glare, I whisper in hubby's ears, "Honey, are you chuckling because of the growing bonsai audience or because you know what these are for?"

lol, i get the same feeling when i go to osh and but a giant pot, soil, and nitrogen nutrients, also a mic sprayer. but then no one said anything, hey if u guys could give me some advice on my plant it be much appreciated, i got two posts going and then theres pictures on my page,

Thanks

I was at Home Depot a few weeks ago after a rough day of work. I was grabbing one of the giant bags of perlite and an older, very nice worker informed me that I didn't need all of that and they had smaller bags that she could show me.

I looked at her and said "thanks ma'am, but I'm going to grow a lot of weed."

It just fell out of my mouth. We both looked at each other sort of shocked, she says "well then, have a nice day" and I quickly made my way to the self checkout.

The next person who comes along and wants the big bag, she'll know. "Oh you're growing lots of weed are you dear? Yes, you'll need the big bag then"

Yeah, I probably ruined it for the next guy or gal. Most of the time, people have no clue though. I've definitely looked in my cart and wondered if the bottle of Fox Farms, a heavy duty timer, plant wire, mini fan, screw hooks, and weatherstripping was a tad too obvious.

Oh well:Rasta:

A couple of years ago I stopped by a WalMart for a few 100 Watt CFLs for clones and seedlings. The shelves were full of every lamp under the sun (OK, cheap pun) except the 100 Watt 2700K and 6500K bulbs. I dug around and checked the back of the shelves and found one pack of 100 Watt 6500K lamps as dusty and old as the store itself. An associate stopped and asked if she could help me find something and I thought, what the heck, I might as well ask if there were any 100 Watt CFLs in the back. She smiled and replied, no honey, its spring and all those indoor Pot growers empty the shelves every spring. I happened to be in a business suit that day, and she said, but you don't look like a Pot grower to me, I'll go get you a pack from the back. I thanked her for her kindness and happily accepted the 12 pack of bulbs and asked her to please watch out for those sicko Pot growers, they could be the ruin of America. She blessed me, agreed and wished me a fine day as well.

JB

I was in the local OSH the other day to get something non toxic to try and get rid of some aphids on "the girls",and I happened to notice that they have a little section at the end of the aisle that includes Bat Guano,Clone Starting Soil,T-5 Gro-Lites, Rockwool Germination Stations, 2-paks of Fiskars MicroShears,and every organic supplement that our ladies might ever need......

All that was missing was the "Cannabis Growers Section" sign...

They probably figure we're going to buy this shit somewhere,so we might as well buy it from them...

I stopped into a Hydro Shop because I was having fungus problems on the tomatoes in my backyard garden. I never saw one guy wink so many times in five minutes. I couldn't get any useful info from him at all, he kept trying to sell me bud sweetener.

Every time I buy perlite at the local hardware store the check out person acts like they have never seen it before and asks what is that used for. I've gotten tired of the question and started saying "keeps the litter fvckers outta mygrass" like a crazy person and they shut right the hell up and check me out fast. Everyone at that store is confused as hell after I visit.

I always make several trips.

Usually there a dozen stores in the area so hop in grab some stuff go back grab some more.

Never had wierd looks when buying grow supplys even not with a cart stufft full duckting, inline fans, circulation fans, maylar, soil, light fixtures and drawings for a closet so they could pre saw the multiplex xD

But when i enter the pharmecy and buy a bottle of isopropanol, rubber gloves and some other solevents and some needels and seringes thay start asking quistions like crazy xD

so sure know that wierd feeling but just not with buying growing supply's but yea like the other story's gave me the needed LOL

Perlite is good for incubating reptile eggs, coco bricks are a good bedding for tropical reptiles, people buy hydro grown plants for reptile enclosures, hydroton is used as a drainage layer in planted vivariums.

Alternatively, I just tell them I have no idea what it's for, I'm a professional shopper, I just fill orders for my clients that have way more money than time.

Back
Top Bottom