The Challenge: Cardboard Flowering Box

Okay, final weights are in.

First we'll start with my meds.

Green Fluffy Bunnies (pigmy) weighed in at 3g flat. She was a leftover from the last grow and I just threw her in to get her done and out. 1.2g trim. will probably add to the trim from Either GDP, or Blue Diesel to make dry ice hash.

Now the single biggest disappointment I have had....ever....

Blue Diesel:

As I started trimming buds and manicuring, they just started falling apart. I mean literally APART. They were still fairly sticky, had no ill smell to them at all, it seemed a little airy when I picked them up. The buds separated from the stems, okay, but when turning them over, it was as though there was nothing on the inside holding the pieces together to form a coherent nug. I ended with what looked to be ground herb, that wasn't ground...

There were some nugs to stay together, but I ended with much more hash trash than nugs.

Ended with 5.5g smokable nug and 14g (half a frikkin' ounce) of hash makings.

TOTALS:

Overall Totals:
59.2g = 2.114oz - Total Yield
27.7g = 0.989oz - Smoke 46.8%
31.5g = 1.125oz - Trim 53.2%

Smokable.
19.2g GDP
3g Green Fluffy Bunnies
5.5g Blue Diesel

Trim
16.3g GDP 45.9%
1.2g Green Fluffy Bunnies 28.57%
14g Blue Diesel 71.8%

In terms of TOTAL YIELD per plant:
  1. GDP was largest at 35.5g
  2. Blue Diesel 19.5g
  3. Green Fluffy Bunnies 4.2g

This is somewhat surprising. I shall have to run a similar test with identical plants to discern which yields better in this box: LST, or ScrOG.

I'm still expecting SOG to be best overall due to it's relatively LOW trim yield. a.k.a. wasted energy.

jandre2k3 Presents:
Flower Style Showdown:
ScrOG
vs.
LST

Coming in May 2013

to the
Cardboard Flower Box...

In association with: Blue Planet Nutrients

At last! We get to see some professional LST ! :high-five:

You, my friend are in for a treat! I'm already trying to figure out how I'm gonna pull this off with my setup. I might have to do it vegging in the box! that's gonna put it out of commission for about 6 to 8 months before anything is harvested... I may have to go ahead and set up a separate area to LST in, so I don't lock up the box that long. a 17 x 21 LST that's 8" tall takes time. Hell I may do it with an INDICA in your honor. that'd be a while in the making, huh? If I start TOMORRROW, it might be ready next May. heheheh.

No really, I'm thinking Purple Cindy, my "Pride of Sativas" will give at least 2 viable clones with which I can work. Lamb's Bread might make a good, although less "showy", second choice.

I'm gonna let them grow a bit and see what happens in September/October-ish.

You, my friend are in for a treat! I'm already trying to figure out how I'm gonna pull this off with my setup. I might have to do it vegging in the box! that's gonna put it out of commission for about 6 to 8 months before anything is harvested... I may have to go ahead and set up a separate area to LST in, so I don't lock up the box that long. a 17 x 21 LST that's 8" tall takes time. Hell I may do it with an INDICA in your honor. that'd be a while in the making, huh? If I start TOMORRROW, it might be ready next May. heheheh.

No really, I'm thinking Purple Cindy, my "Pride of Sativas" will give at least 2 viable clones with which I can work. Lamb's Bread might make a good, although less "showy", second choice.

I'm gonna let them grow a bit and see what happens in September/October-ish.

Right on! No need to tie up your box. That would be something with Purple Cindy! A long sativa....next May maybe right! :geek:

Its probably been mentioned before on this thread but I would DEF coat the inside with a type of "organic laquer" so that moisture doesn't destroy your box. Everything looks good, the only thing i'd worry about is your humidity levels. After a length of time, it'll hold moisture and create a mold/mildew problem. Good luck friend!

TEST-2 MATRIX
and
TEST CONCLUSION

Overall Difficulty: 5/10

Strains:

• 1x Grandaddy Purple (ScrOG style Flowering)
  • 1x Blue Diesel (LST style Flowering) Hermaphroditic flowers emerged at day 54 of flower.
  • 2x Green Fluffy Bunnies (Pigmies left over from Test 1)

Enviroment:

• Humidity: 40% to 47%
  • Temp: 71f to 79f
  • Light Cycle: 12/12
  • Light Type: 6x 28w T5HO
  • Nutirents: Blue Plaanet Nutrients Elite 3-part with Liquid Blue Bloom Booster
  • Grow Type: Hydroponic Ebb and Flow

Total Flower Time:
69 days for GDP
60 for Green Fuffy Bunnies
60 for Blue Diesel (Pulled 1 week early due to Hermie)

Total Harvested Overall:
59.2g = 2.114oz - Total Yield
27.7g = 0.989oz - Smoke 46.8%
31.5g = 1.125oz - Trim 53.2%

Smokable.
19.2g GDP
3g Green Fluffy Bunnies
5.5g Blue Diesel

Trim
16.3g GDP 45.9% for 1.5g Hash
1.2g Green Fluffy Bunnies 28.57%
14g Blue Diesel 71.8% for 1.5g Hash

In terms of TOTAL YIELD per plant:

1. GDP was largest at 35.5g
  2. Blue Diesel 19.5g
  3. Green Fluffy Bunnies 4.2g

Overall Impression of Test: Improved Success and yield overall. I'm pretty bummed about The turnout of the Blue Diesel, but 0.5g of yellow, and 1g yellow/green hash isn't all bad from total plant weight of 19.5g. I was happy to note that GDP was the top yield in this test run, I was not expecting ScrOG to do as well as it did.

Observations:

Nutirents: Blue Planet Nutrients with the Liquid Blue Bloom Booster seemed to do an adequate job of supplying the nutrients needed throughout the test. Actually overall it was easier to handle and mix than the prior nutrient system I was using. Also, it should be noted that pH was almost always between 5.7 and 5.9 and much more stable than the other brands previously used.

Environment: Stable and predictable changes in ambient temperature and relative humidity were observed and easily handled throughout the flowering cycle. It seems that the Can/Fan installed kept things well in check and stable even with the doors closed 97% of the time.

Lighting:The chosen lighting application proved to be inadequate for this test with the ScrOG delivering 49% of yield in trim. Plant structure stayed tight and compact and well green, even through "the flush" with the exception of the Blue Diesel which was airy and light, and fell apart in the final manicure before curing and delivered a disappointing 71.8% in Hash material very poor yield 28.2% for smokable flowers. This may also be due to the fact that it was pulled a week early due to hermie, but upon close inspection, there was about 12% amber in the trichomes, so she was ready to be pulled.

Reservoir: As far as the nutrient delivery system is concerned, no anomalies were observed. Performance was flawless, and cleaning was easy. With the air stone removed things under the lid stayed much cleaner, and only a small amount of fungus was observed once in the right-side reservoir.

Conclusion:

Although overall success was achieved, there is room for improvement.

1. Research other lighting configurations, or light sources either additional, or different.
  2. Find other means of lowering temperature for "The Purple" bag appeal.
  3. For future grows, add second circulation fan to keep air moving over all plants throughout the grow space.

Heheh, I try to be objective as possible. If that means I air my own shortcomings, so be it. What about the conclusions caught your eye?

I was commenting on better/different lights as an opportunity to change things for the better

Didn't really care about purple or not.....I know, an ungodly thing to say.

Yep, 2 fans would help.

As for the way you do things, that's what I really like, your detailing things, as well, your also quite graceful when you fall on your sword.
:ganjamon:

I was commenting on better/different lights as an opportunity to change things for the better

Didn't really care about purple or not.....I know, an ungodly thing to say.

Yep, 2 fans would help.

As for the way you do things, that's what I really like, your detailing things, as well, your also quite graceful when you fall on your sword.
:ganjamon:

heheh! Well, thank you.
I do the big titles to poke myself in the eye as to where the important bits are. Detailing things, for me, is the only way to keep things straight. I can look back and track my own progress, and see where I should have improved. Also, I feel that it helps others to know exactly where I stand in my thinking. Plus, it helps those that aren't as extremely plant savvy as others see where improvements help, or where and how mistakes are made and the consequences of such, as the journal moves along. It's the very reason, I have a main, central journal, and branching flower journals. OT discussion and questions revolving around that specific grow can be asked, without adding too many pages the the actual tracking journal. I mean, I have 2 grows in this journal, now, and it's still at nine pages. Pretty remarkable how well it's working.

I was thinking ((yes it hurt)) that with the failure of the pump timer, and the power failure, losing lights, A/C and watering for an unknown amount of time, causing a humid, dark, 92 degrees, the yield was kinda okay, for what the test had been plagued with. I mean I got an ounce of some killer smoke, and 3g of dry ice hash out of it. I just wasn't thinking clearly. I haven't slept for 4... maybe 5 days now and things get befuddled a bit when I go that long without sleep. On the plus side, a lot gets done though!

Thanks for stopping in and picking me up off my ass, brother. I needed it after this last harvest, and Test 3 failing so miserably before it even got started.

If I can get half as organised as you in my 2nd journal it would be a huge leap forward. reps if I can brother.:peace:

Heheh, organized? I feel as disorganized as it gets right now. Those clones dieing really threw me for a loop as far as the plan goes, but I'm trying to adjust. I feel I'm spinning my wheels, but I look over, and see there are 10/10 jandre kush (unknown Kush lineage) seeds popped, and 36 clones rooting, and I start to calm down. Then I get a panic again, hoping my veg space and my acquired clone quarantine don't overrun each other. UGH!

But thank you, at least I know outside doesn't mirror the inside. And thanks for the rep!

Back
Top Bottom