The Joy Of Growing - SweetSue Goes Perpetual

Good afternoon sue I figured I'd stop by your neck of the woods and see how your doing. Sorry to read about your husband, hope everything is well

Welcome emmitt, to the journal and to our fabulous community here at :420: . :welcome:

Thank you for the condolences. Life and death, emmitt, they go hand in hand. It's been a pleasant surprise how I was able to actually deal with death in the manner I'd hoped. This community is holding me together. :love:

Things are very well emmitt. So, do you grow? Are you thinking about starting a journal? Is there any way we can facilitate your smooth entry into our virtual neighborhood?

image27660.jpg

Best. Invention. Ever. :laughtwo:

I wonder if I will have my "man-card" pulled if I admit that I have one of these?

I would think that would raise your status GG. :laughtwo: Ooooo, a new Eric Clapton in the playlist. Is there anything this man touched that wasn't auditory gold?

"Lately I've been running on faith. " Beautiful. :battingeyelashes:

There is something so soothing about an extended run of blanket stitch. This was an excellent idea.

Welcome emmitt, to the journal and to our fabulous community here at :420: . :welcome:

Thank you for the condolences. Life and death, emmitt, they go hand in hand. It's been a pleasant surprise how I was able to actually deal with death in the manner I'd hoped. This community is holding me together. :love:

Things are very well emmitt. So, do you grow? Are you thinking about starting a journal? Is there any way we can facilitate your smooth entry into our virtual neighborhood?
yes I grow and I'm pretty sure I won't be doing a journal, I'm more of a do my own thing, lurkin kind of guy. I gotta say I love the fact that you are making your own pots!!! That is dedication and passion taken to a whole new level:woohoo:

Emmit, this project was inspired by Cannafan, one of our finest members. She has a marvelous tutorial on making your own pots.

DIY fabric grow pots Cannabags made from Eco Felt

I didn't follow her pattern, but she was my inspiration.

image27670.jpg

The one on the left is mine, the one on the right is a one gallon Geo Pot. I was trying to come in less than a gallon but slightly larger than the azalea pots. I think it worked out right nice. :cheesygrinsmiley:

One down, 17 more to go. :rofl: This was fun. I think maybe one a day. What marvelous therapy. :laughtwo:

GG, I know this is appealing to your frugal nature as well. :battingeyelashes: :love: I thought of you the whole time I was making it. LOL!

yes I grow and I'm pretty sure I won't be doing a journal, I'm more of a do my own thing, lurkin kind of guy. I gotta say I love the fact that you are making your own pots!!! That is dedication and passion taken to a whole new level:woohoo:

Yeah, I was a lurker too, for a time. Hahaha! That has to make you guys laugh, thinking of me quietly lurking anywhere. Hahaha!

In the last week, on some thread, I ran across a chart of Temp vs RH and bands of color that seemed to form an arc where higher temps combined with higher RH. There was not a good explanation of the colors, so I filed this away as a 'look into it later' topic.

Without a name, I couldn't find the chart.

Is there a relationship where higher humidity relieves the stress of higher temperatures for growing plants?

I remember that chart. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw it though. Let me go looking.

High temps and high humidity makes humans very uncomfortable, not being able to evaporate the sweat and all. Now I'm curious about how plants are affected.

I just realized it's 3 AM. Ahh, what the hell. I still have coffee in the thermos and the bowl needs filled again. Let me take a couple hits and see what I can turn up. :battingeyelashes:

edit: Damn good coffee. Just sayin'. :cheesygrinsmiley:

The Effect of Relative Humidity on Your Plants

From just4growers:

RH can be easily measured using digital or analogue meters called "hygrometers." They are available for around $15 at your local indoor gardening store. But what do the readings mean for your plants?

Turns out-they mean a great deal! While many novice growers focus solely on keeping temperature in range, many take their eye off the ball as far as RH is concerned-perhaps because they don't fully understand what it is or how to manipulate it to their advantage.

Have you ever been to Florida in July? You'll know that it's not just the heat that's oppressive, it's the humidity! You feel constantly wet with sweat - the whole place feels like a sauna you can't escape from! (Sorry Floridians!)

RH has an ever more direct effect on plants. Plants need to "sweat" too - or rather, they need to transpire (release water vapor through their stomata) in order to grow.

The amount of water plants lose through transpiration is regulated, to a point, by opening and closing their stomata. However, as a general rule, the drier the air, the more plants will transpire.

It appears that high temps + high humidity = unhappy plants as well as uncomfortable humans.

Do we need to look any deeper Rad? I'm buzzed and caffeinated now. :laughtwo:

The Effect of Relative Humidity on Your Plants

From just4growers:

RH can be easily measured using digital or analogue meters called "hygrometers." They are available for around $15 at your local indoor gardening store. But what do the readings mean for your plants?

Turns out-they mean a great deal! While many novice growers focus solely on keeping temperature in range, many take their eye off the ball as far as RH is concerned-perhaps because they don't fully understand what it is or how to manipulate it to their advantage.

Have you ever been to Florida in July? You'll know that it's not just the heat that's oppressive, it's the humidity! You feel constantly wet with sweat - the whole place feels like a sauna you can't escape from! (Sorry Floridians!)

RH has an ever more direct effect on plants. Plants need to "sweat" too - or rather, they need to transpire (release water vapor through their stomata) in order to grow.

The amount of water plants lose through transpiration is regulated, to a point, by opening and closing their stomata. However, as a general rule, the drier the air, the more plants will transpire.

It appears that high temps + high humidity = unhappy plants as well as uncomfortable humans.

Do we need to look any deeper Rad? I'm buzzed and caffeinated now. :laughtwo:

You don't need to dig deeper tonight. I'm going to bed tonight. Not good for me to keep SweetSue hours when I have to get up at this time on Monday :)

Thanks for saving me Rad. BIG hug. Good night.

Now here I am, 4AM, just finishing off the coffee. Hmmmm.

If I'm going to turn into a night owl I'm going to need more play lists. LOL!

5:05. Is it worth even trying? Lights come on in ten minutes. Might as well do those drenches.

Not sure if this is the RH chart you were discussing. Just in case, here it is.

RH_chart1.jpg

This is just a tease for an update coming later.

The HB Kit Girls (Yeah, looks like that name is going to stick. :laughtwo: ). They got a nice Growth Energy/Tea drench this morning.

image27673.jpg

Cheese Candy is settling into a nice level horizontal plane. Makes me laugh right out loud when I look at her. Pot Chimp was right! :rofl:

image27675.jpg

"Let me show you a few things, show you a few things, about love. " That JT. Whew! He heads up this playlist. Been too long.

Sorry, distracted. :laughtwo: I'm a sucker for a love song in any genre.

Here's my puzzle for the day. I have until 4 to get it done.

image27676.jpg

This has to be the most inefficiently used tent in the community. *sigh* Deep breath and let it go. Nothing to be gained there.

I have three plants ready for the big light. That means I have to reorient the Cheese Candy, who's enjoying having that light all to herself. I shouldn't have to move her too far off center, because, after all, it's only three plants. I need a SWICK tray small enough to slip into that space but big enough to accommodate all three pots with space for growth. I have the perfect tray. Then I need to level out the canopy.

That buys me a couple days to get something worked up with CFLs before I drop the next seeds. PeeJay, if you're lurking, now's the time. I need to decide who's getting planted and in what soil. There'll be six pots in each cycle, and I'm going back to my original plan to split them between the two soils. My intent was to learn to get both soils to hum with this approach and I find I still feel that way.

Once the next cycle gets going, this will be more efficient. Ok. Feeling better about this. One step at a time.

A good laugh to share. Yesterday my daughter stopped to inquire as to why I felt it necessary to purchase yet another light. LOL! There I was justifying my gardening addiction run wild, and all I could think of was "Step away from the cart!" Hahaha!!!

She'll get used to it. My money, my hobby, no questions permitted. It's a family rule. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Geez, breakfast Girl. Please.

Later. :battingeyelashes:

Back
Top Bottom