The Munki's Playground

This might be a stupid question, but what are the advantages of a soil-less grow? It seems like the water would just drain right through, are those pellets absorbent?

This might be a stupid question, but what are the advantages of a soil-less grow? It seems like the water would just drain right through, are those pellets absorbent?

"In horticultural applications, perlite is used throughout the world as a component of soilless growing mixes where it provides aeration and optimum moisture retention for superior plant growth. For rooting cuttings, 100% perlite is used. Studies have shown that outstanding yields are achieved with perlite hydroponic systems. Other benefits of horticultural perlite are its neutral pH and the fact that it is sterile and weed-free. In addition, its light weight makes it ideal for use in container growing. Other horticultural applications for perlite are as a carrier for fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides and for pelletizing seed. Horticultural perlite is as useful to the home gardener as it is to the commercial grower. It is used with equal success in greenhouse growing, landscaping applications and in the home in house plants." - www.perlite.net

Do you feel the white bucket lets too much light through and worried about algae or something? Is that why you covered your buckets?

Girls are looking really good. Keep up the great work brother! :bravo:

:peace:

Setting Sun posted on August 8th in my thread the following...

"I used white 20oz tumblers to germinate and veg my two VK hybrids for 2-3 weeks before transplanting.

Their growth was sort of slowish and I couldn't figure out why until I transplanted and saw their miserable root balls. There were big clumps of green algae all over the roots.

The algae didn't kill them, but it competed with the roots for water/nutes. Once I got them out of those white cups, they recovered fully and prospered. Needless to say, I won't be using white translucent containers any longer. The white pots that Doc used for his grow are thick white plastic, made for growing, and I don't think they're nearly as translucent as white cups. Not sure about the translucency of your white buckets, but they probably do allow some light through.

Can't wait to see how your painted buckets do compared to the white ones. If you do notice slower growth in the white ones, that may be the reason. If you didn't want to complete the experiment at that point, you could use tape or something else to cover the buckets for the remainder of the grow.
"

So I decided that it may be worth it to make the buckets light proof to ensure algal growth does not occur along the edges slowing plant growth.

Not a stupid question at all but has been extensively covered. Read the "How to grow Marijuana" and "Frequently Asked Questions" forums in The Grow Room section to get caught up on the basics.

Oh, and thanks Herbsnbuds for chiming in with an answer. That is what makes this community so awesome! Growers helping growers learn.

WOW brotha looking great !! Playing catch up on the journal has been fun. Gotta say you got a huge Indica presence. Short and stout is great !! I can't wait to see how that bag seed comes out, looks interesting.

:yahoo: Glad to see you're back Butcher! I was going to take cuts from the vegging plants but changed my mind and will now get the clones in early flower. That should help get the clones rooted near the time the seed plants finish.

5 weeks old the bagseeds are! Day 25 for Satori. Master Kush is bushing out some, but Ogre takes the cake in that department! Here are the pics. Too lazy to label them today. No watering or feeding. Some pics taken with LED lights on and color adjusted.

081310-pic1.JPG

081310-pic2.JPG

081310-pic3.JPG

081310-pic4.JPG

081310-pic5.JPG

081310-pic6.JPG

081310-pic7.JPG

081310-pic8.JPG

081310-pic9.JPG

081310-pic10.JPG

081310-pic11.JPG

081310-pic12.JPG

081310-pic13.JPG

Not a stupid question at all but has been extensively covered. Read the "How to grow Marijuana" and "Frequently Asked Questions" forums in The Grow Room section to get caught up on the basics.

Oh, and thanks Herbsnbuds for chiming in with an answer. That is what makes this community so awesome! Growers helping growers learn.

Not a problem at all Munki. I've been learning a bit myself through the posts on this site and the additional external research I've done. Just glad I could help out a fellow grower with the same goals as mine... to get extremely good buds from a tiny seed or clone. By the way, my hydro setup is underway and I will be using a perlite base for my medium now thanks to you so keep up the posts and pics. May go 50/50 perlite/vermiculite because of the neutral (7) PH of the perlite and the higher (7-9) PH of vermiculite to counter-act my 6 PH water. But still awesome grow none-the-less!

Not a problem at all Munki. I've been learning a bit myself through the posts on this site and the additional external research I've done. Just glad I could help out a fellow grower with the same goals as mine... to get extremely good buds from a tiny seed or clone. By the way, my hydro setup is underway and I will be using a perlite base for my medium now thanks to you so keep up the posts and pics. May go 50/50 perlite/vermiculite because of the neutral (7) PH of the perlite and the higher (7-9) PH of vermiculite to counter-act my 6 PH water. But still awesome grow none-the-less!

Hope you share the results of your grow with the community! :goodluck:

Days 26/36. I think I see a few spots on some lower leaves of newer growth on the Master Kush and Ogre. Tried to get a couple of photos but the spots are small. It is like there are small dents on the undersides of the leaves and a small egg placed there. Hard to see with the naked eye.

Watered/fed all plants today.

081410-pic1.JPG

081410-pic2.JPG

Blueberry Wowie
081410-pic3.JPG

081410-pic4.JPG

Master Kush
081410-pic5.JPG

081410-pic6.JPG

Ogre
081410-pic7.JPG

081410-pic8.JPG

Satori 1
081410-pic9.JPG

081410-pic10.JPG

Satori 3
081410-pic11.JPG

081410-pic12.JPG

Trying to show where the leaves have spots and deformities on the surface.
081410-pic13.JPG

081410-pic14.JPG

Doing some great work here in the Playground Munki! Your plants are looking super healthy. The Ogre looks like he wants to be a giant!

I'll catch up on your other thread to get your thoughts on the EFG light. The plants sure seem to like it!

Can't wait to see those girls start flowering for you!
:thumb:

With all the talk about mites around here, I went and got another No Pest Strip today! But I'm not watering in the buff like Irishboy!
He may be a trendsetter, but that's going too far! :)

Irishboy better be carefull I've heard that mites can be worse than crabs !!Especially the ones that come off of pot plants (they have an attitude).

Just a suggestion: the blueberry wowie looks like it may have a salt build of some kind. That would explain the look in the leafs. I traditionally flush & feed plain water till I see new growth that looks just right. This is just an observation, but that one seems to be a lil bit more temperamental. As opposed to the others, which look just picture perfect.

Back
Top Bottom