The RDWC Club

I went with 2" pipe and a water chiller for mine. Water temps being such an issue in hot climate. And even with 2" pipe in 5 gal buckets I would still get roots flowing into the pipe. I could see an issue with that and clogging or slowing flow with smaller pvc. If I were to do a larger grow, I would go with even bigger buckets and larger pvc pipe. But for a 3-4 bucket system 2" in a tent, 2" and 5 gal was fine.

Can I join the club? Mine is almost functional. It worked during a test run last weekend until some idiot (me) broke the housing on the water pump so I'm waiting for a parts replacement . . .

I was sucked into forums @ 420Magazine when a Google search led me to a grow by Tulip from 2009. His DWC made me realize how easy a hydro grow could be, which was good because my gardening aptitude is in the negatives. So I searched & read a kazillion posts & how-tos with different ways to accomplish the goal. Back in a former life several decades ago, I had a few freshwater fish tanks. The last one I kept was a home-built 120 gallon monster. One thing I learned was that it is far, far easier to keep a large volume of water pH stable. So . . .

My plan:
2 x 4 tent
2 x 12 g grow totes + 1 x 17 g external reservoir = 29 g of active water (110 litres) in an undercurrent system.

The red rectangle is the footprint of my Mars Pro II Epistar 160 LED light.

fittings4.jpg

So I ordered everything - it was 50% more than I originally had guessimated because of course, I got carried away.

I use 2" PVC for the central flow pipe connecting to the tanks with 2" Uniseals. Angled surfaces on the tanks made normal bulkhead fittings impossible. I use a 2" coupling at the outflow with a screen on it as a filter. The outflow drops to 1/2" Schedule 40 pipe to the recirculating pump & out to the res.

I have an air pump feeding 2 x 12" airstones in each tank.

It pretty much fills the tent. The grow tanks:

resbuild.jpg

Water pump (note shutoff & unions):

waterpump.jpg

External reservoir connection. The zipper went around the bottom in a 2 zipper system. I fabbed it a light seal with foil insulation & sticky foil tape so I wouldn't have to cut the tent in a bad spot. The 1/2" outflow to the res did require a cut. The 2" shutoff/coupling was pretty pricey btw.

resconnect.jpg

I ended up using grating on top of rigid foil insulation for the top of the tanks. Cheap & easy to cut, it also gives me tie downs for LST connection and I can change it to a different pattern for $20. I left easy access to the inside to clean the filter & admire the roots.

trapdoor.jpg

I should be up & running in 10 days or so.

Does this system works with only a few airstone. Without the whole system. Would be easier.

I like to incorporate a water pump to keep things circulated. I've seen systems with only air stones though.

Definitely looks like you have it all planned out nicely IB!

Nice system, very simple but effective. Me likey!

Thanks, Pennywise. It worked nicely while I had it running. With 110 litres, the bottoms of the pots were getter nicely bubbled with water after a minute or two of run time.

A note for future builders, a Sched 40 1/2" coupling has to be modded to fit onto the output of a Danner Mag Drive Supreme 250 gph pump. Just tightening it on cracked the pump housing & a full on tighten til it dies broke it off completely. A Dremel solves it by shaving the coupling & the pump body.

Thank you scrogdawg. Just what I needed. I'll post some pics as soon as I get everything up and running. Should be by next weekend. I'm doing 16- 12 gallon rectangle buckets. DIY rdwc that I'm building myself. I have a 36,000 btu mini split, 45 pint a day dehumidifier, a 1/3 hp chiller and 4 dimlux 630 cmh's. I have the recipe for success just not the knowledge so any tips are much appreciated.

420-magazine-mobile554452376.jpg

Here's a quick pic of the layout. I'm using 2" pvc with uniseals and an air stone in every bucket. I also have a titan 4 burner co2 generator.

420-magazine-mobile554452376.jpg

Here’s a quick pic of the layout. I’m using 2” pvc with uniseals and an air stone in every bucket. I also have a titan 4 burner co2 generator.

That is going to be awful crowded once the plants go to flower imho. You are going to have to maintain them & that layout doesn't leave much walking space.

Ian

I was thinking it, but you said it Ian.

I also wonder if the lighting will be intense enough to make good use of the CO2 generator.

Yeah I totally agree. Not really sure what I should do. I'm going to either mainline or scrog the whole thing. I want a solid canopy of nugs that big. I will be doing some pretty heavy defol as well. And about the lighting I was thinking of throwing in a couple of gavitas in the center. What do you guys think? Also thanks for the reply's

Back
Top Bottom