TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Frizz how do you not get mold and crap built up in your system without cleaning it.. main reason why i wont mess with hydroponics is cause the mold in my area seems high and i just choose to advoid the inevitable. Worried about bud rot indoors tbh lol

I was about to ask the same thing! Especially Pythium (root rot)? . I'm assuming a city tap water base with just enough chlorine to keep it dead while your "good" stuff takes hold.

Frizz does have the gift of the grow.

Thanks guys! :circle-of-love:

Yes Latitude, I do use city tap water, and I will tell you guys my secret....I use crushed up Vitamin C tablets to neutralize the chlorine in the water (250 mg per 5 gallons, overkill but I hate chlorine with a passion :laughtwo:).

As far as avoiding root root, well, it started off as sheer laziness. I delayed a nute change in my first grow and nothing bad happened!! So then I thought...what if I go another week without changing the water? Just topping off with what was needed. Maybe another week? etc etc...Surely the dreaded "root rot" will show up at some point.... but it never did!

Why can I go months without changing the res and not get root rot? First off, bacteria and fungi are EVERYWHERE, trying to keep a perfectly sterile res is not realistic for most growers nor beneficial for plant development. Getting root rot just means the "bad guys" are winning the war in the res. Therefore, the solution is to simply introduce massive amounts of the kind of bacteria and other critters that feed on root rot and have a mutualistic relationship with the plant. :cheer:

My first grow I used Hydroguard, this grow I am using Great White. Now, I can't say for sure that these products prevented root rot, because I haven't done a side by side. :laughtwo: But I CAN say that I have done everything "bad" that is supposed to result in root rot: res temps in the 80s and 90s (1st grow), not changing out res for weeks/months (all grows), adding organic matter to the res (current grow), touching the roots with my hands (ooh la la!), the list goes on and on... and never had problems with root rot. :surf:

Now to be fair, at the times when my plants show stress, I have done partial res changes to restore balance to the res. I did this after adding way too much humic acid the 1st time this grow, and the pH got up to 7 ish. The plants were literally turning yellow. So I removed 5 gallons from the res and replaced it with 5 gallons at a pH to bring the res back down to ~6.

But if the plants are growing well and the roots are healthy, I can find no compelling reason to flush the res. Especially considering, you have this beautiful culture of friendly bacteria built up, this army defending your plants roots. In many aquarium setups it can take weeks for a really solid bacteria culture to take hold. Why would you want to flush all those valuable troops down the drain? Not to mention saving money on nutes, and manual labor of hauling buckets and the pollution from dumping nutes.

Also, I don't know if this affects the roots but it certainly helps with the top growth in terms of mold prevention: The relative humidity in my grow tent ranges between 30-40% which is pretty low. This helps prevent moisture accumulation in the canopy and keeps away nasty things like powdery mildew.

So yeah, let me know if you guys have any more questions. Like I have said before, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But definitely keep a watchful eye and be ready to swoop in if needed. Think of it like parenting :)

Re: TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Dont have the time to write out a thought out response this morning but that is all very awesome information thank you frizz! The vitamin c dissipating the chlorine has me intrigued.. i use city tap water and bubble it 24-48 hours to get rid of chlorine and to oxygenate the water well.

Hi Tomula, thanks for the input on the blurry line and your ideas regarding soil and plant happiness:love: very poetic, I will have to re-read it tonight after a :grinjoint:

I agree that we want the friendly bacteria, other critters, and the plants to work together to create a stable and thriving ecosystem in the grow medium. I think that my res is more "alive" than the average hydro grower because I have not changed the res for months and I have been adding humic acid to provide organic matter. This would increase the proliferation of bacteria compared to a more "hygenic" system with clear water, pure chemical nutes, and res changes every couple weeks.

It would be fun to get a microscope and compare: "dirty" hydro (my way), "clean" hydro (regular flushes, no organic matter), organic soil, and chemical based soil growing. Which method would have the greatest abundance of life (bacteria and microbes) in the grow medium? I would assume organic soil would win, but I wonder how close I could get with "dirty" hydro...

:thanks::Namaste:

Oh that's wonderful how you can use the reservoir for long time. I'm completely for living hydro and many ppl are doing it, just like you (getting better and better). I bet there must be lots of books out there (if not you can write one, right ? :D ) You just need lots of oxygen, so that there is no deadly algae growing in your reservoir. We got so dirty and over fertilized (read too much detergent and shit from house waste) reservoir, dead fish everywhere. They tried to dug out the mud and put lime on top. That helped for a while. They solved it with hoses of air bubbling under the water. Oxygen is the key I think. I'm with you on the microscope, it is such a pleasant thing to have. Especially some decent one even for both eyes. I want to build a kind of a fountain for oxygenating my water, with a venturi injector to suck in some air. Some fancy laboratory glass or homemade thingy. That would be just pure awesomeness. You can make living hydroponics with fish tank. I was also thinking about some kind of mineralizing water cycle system, where you make yourself small mountain creek with rocks and very soft (low ppm) water. That way you can get your P and K (plus all the other elements) into the water (not so soft after awhile) and the N just comes from fishpoop. So you can have your water and nutrients in natural cycle and have the plant inside with the desert lights :) Organic matter and water is easier imho. But then, someone loves all the flow like you do :) I'm gonna be working on a soil based terracotta watering system reservoir, that utilizes minerals and oxygenation from the creek circuit. Based on olla irrigation and pruning (link in my sig.). I want to make the ollas narrow and deep, to maximize the pruning area and minimize the water inside, to get better dry/wet circle. It's just in my head and it looks promising, hard to tell if it has any practical use.

The venturi:

Venturi air flow.flv - YouTube

The moment is finally here! Time to see what the girls look like after the stretch :cheer:

First off, let's go back in time 20 days, here is what the tent looked like on the first day of 12/12 lighting:

Flower_Day_1_001.jpg
Flower_Day_1_002.jpg

Here is what the girls look like as of today:

Whole tent
Day_21_end_of_stretch_019.jpg

Here is Jenny (I switched her and Monique's locations because Jenny was hogging all the light!)

Day_21_end_of_stretch_020.jpg

Day_21_end_of_stretch_028.jpg

Here is the lovely Monique

Day_21_end_of_stretch_021.jpg

Day_21_end_of_stretch_025.jpg

And of course Sidney :love: By the way she might actually be a Wonder Woman seed and not Northern Lights...story for another time lol

Day_21_end_of_stretch_022.jpg

Day_21_end_of_stretch_026.jpg

Finally we have Muffinz, she is a few days behind the other 3 in terms of growth and bud development. Next time I'll give more recovery time for a plant like her before forcing flower :)

Day_21_end_of_stretch_023.jpg

Day_21_end_of_stretch_027.jpg

For comparison here is what my first grow looked like after the stretch. I think I have done a better job this time of controlling the plants growth so that they are an even canopy, rather than Queen Sativa stealing the show and then eventually getting light bleaching on her top buds. :laughtwo: Also the light penetration is much better this grow, I tried to defol as much as I could while still leaving enough fans to power bud development.

Previous grow after stretch:
week_3_flowering_012.jpg

Alright, here is a final pic so you can get a 3D view of what the canopy looks like. The canopy height is currently 8-10 inches on average, and I am hoping for a final height of 12-16 inches of pure bud across the tent by the end of the grow :cheer:

Day_21_end_of_stretch_024.jpg

Pretty neat to see what can be accomplished with just a pair of thumbs for training! I will never use a net or wires again if I can help it :)

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are encouraged and appreciated!
:circle-of-love::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

. well done! Very thankful for your sharing of the knowledge! Comparing your 20 days to my 18 days is, well, a little disappointing to be perfectly honest. Different strains and all that, but it is obvious you are dialing it in well! Bravo!

I love the training you do it makes them small and compact.. its almost like the whole plant will be one giant bud haha

Thanks Toasted, that's the goal! Makes harvest/trimming easy too if the plants are mostly made of bud :cheer:

. well done! Very thankful for your sharing of the knowledge! Comparing your 20 days to my 18 days is, well, a little disappointing to be perfectly honest. Different strains and all that, but it is obvious you are dialing it in well! Bravo!

Well, I did use a modified lighting schedule (Gas Lantern routine) for the last week of veg before flower. This (I believe) helped them build up higher levels of flowering hormones so that they began growing buds sooner when I officially flipped to flower. :cheer: They are definitely way more developed than my first grow was at this point. :)

So, it would be more fair to compare your buds to my Day 20 pics once you are on Day 29 (7 days of GLR lighting + 2 days time difference between when we switched to flower). By the way your plants (and roots!!!) look amazing, I will pop over soon and leave a comment. :love:

Lovely bushes you got there! Pleasant to look at! :bravo:

Why thank you sir :) I agree!! Also, I really enjoyed reading your description of the soil based terracotta watering system. Using a creek (or a waterfall) as a source of oxygenation is something I had pondered before so I am glad to hear that you are toying with it as well! I want to turn my front yard into an edible organic soil garden (mainly berries), but I dislike watering plants, so your idea of using built-in irrigation that also simulates nature is intriguing! :love:

Hello friends! :circle-of-love: Today is Day 25 of flowering, and I am quite pleased with how the girls are progressing! Here is a quick snapshot of grow stats and what has been done in the last few days:

pH: 5.88
Res temps: 67-73 degrees F
ppm: 1050
Humidity: ~30-40%
Air temps: ~75-85 degrees F
Training: Continuous defol of fan leaves in the upper/middle canopy, and outward bending to build a flat, open shape full of exposed budsites.

Without further ado, here are pics! :cheer:

Side profile, I am happy with how close they are in height compared to my first grow. By this point, Queen Sativa had stretched twice as high as the other 3!! Now this grow, Jenny is only about 2 -3 inches taller than the others. Not too bad!

Day_25_flower_003.jpg

Here are photos of Jenny:

Day_25_flower_004.jpg

Day_25_flower_015.jpg
Day_25_flower_010.jpg

Here we have Monique, she is the frostiest of all 4! :love: She is also the one I have spent the most time defoliating, she has such tight node spacing!

Day_25_flower_005.jpg

Day_25_flower_014.jpg
Day_25_flower_009.jpg

Here is Sidney, her buds are going to end up being the largest I think, since she only has 8 colas. Some of her stems are insanely thick!

Day_25_flower_006.jpg

Day_25_flower_011.jpg

Finally we have Muffinz. I have been shaping and snipping her a lot the last few days trying to spread out her colas and expose buds as much as possible. She is looking a lot better now than she did a week ago :cheer:

Day_25_flower_007.jpg

Day_25_flower_012.jpg

Finally a macro shot to wrap it up:

Day_25_flower_013.jpg

As always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome and appreciated! :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Niiiiiiiiice! Looking very good with the time and care you put in to the training. They are looking awesome! You are getting that scrog look without a scrog. I am very exited to see the end results of all this hard work.

Have you done any autos? I was thinking I have enough room in the tent for another light. Was thinking of running some autos in soil next to my DWC and see what they are like.

Looking good frizz.. monique is one sexy lady!!

Thanks, she is starting to smell sublime too! Like a spicy orange creamsicle...mmmmm :drool:

Niiiiiiiiice! Looking very good with the time and care you put in to the training. They are looking awesome! You are getting that scrog look without a scrog. I am very exited to see the end results of all this hard work.

Have you done any autos? I was thinking I have enough room in the tent for another light. Was thinking of running some autos in soil next to my DWC and see what they are like.

Hi NorCal, thanks for the feedback! I am super excited to see the end result too :)

I tried out autos my 2nd grow, the link is in my sig if you want to peruse it. The grow was not completed however (air pump failure while on vacation), so my input on autos would be related to germination and the first month of veg or so. I am not sure if I will run them again, because I prefer to have complete control over my plants, and having something with a built in flowering timer means less control for me, boooo! :laughtwo:

Hello friends, I learned a very good lesson this week: Do not make assumptions!! :laughtwo:

I made the assumption that by using a RDWC system, the pH and nutes would remain relatively equal across all 4 buckets and the external res. For most of the grow, it has been, but this week I noticed Sidney was turning a lighter yellowish green and wasn't as frosty as she should be. Also there was a sickly smell around her. So yesterday I checked her pH and ppm and she was up to a pH of 6.61 and a ppm of 1760, oh no!! The other 3 plants buckets were at a pH ranging between 5.7-5.9 and with ppm's around 800 and they looked much healthier than Sid.

So, what was going on here, why was her bucket different? :hmmmm: Well, I inspected everything and noticed that her drain tube was pinched off, which means that nutes are going in, but not draining out. This means her ppm was continuously rising and causing nutrient accumulation and lockout as a result. The drain tube probably kinked when I was moving around the buckets to clean the floor of the tent.

Here is a pic of the kinked tube:

Week_4_flower_and_1st_SW_vid_001.jpg

This is Sidney on the left, see how she is discolored compared to Muffinz?

Week_4_flower_and_1st_SW_vid_014.jpg

To address this problem, I removed the nutes from Sidney's bucket and unkinked the tube. I then added 5 gallons of pH'd water to the res, along with 1 tsp of fulvic acid in each bucket (the fulvic acid arrived yesterday, super excited!). I also gave Sidney a scoop of Great White in her res to help regenerate her healthy bacteria population. This was last night.

Today, I checked on the girls and was happy to see that conditions are stable across all 4 buckets now: Around 600 ppm and pH between 5.9-6.1, including Sid, woo hoo! :) She also smells sweet again, whereas yesterday she smelled like rotting lawn clippings.

Moral(s) of the story: Keep a close eye on your plants, don't blindly trust your equipment, trust your instincts as well.

Next update (backbuilding) will be in a few days.

:Namaste:

Hello friends, I learned a very good lesson this week: Do not make assumptions!! :laughtwo:

I made the assumption that by using a RDWC system, the pH and nutes would remain relatively equal across all 4 buckets and the external res. For most of the grow, it has been, but this week I noticed Sidney was turning a lighter yellowish green and wasn't as frosty as she should be. Also there was a sickly smell around her. So yesterday I checked her pH and ppm and she was up to a pH of 6.61 and a ppm of 1760, oh no!! The other 3 plants buckets were at a pH ranging between 5.7-5.9 and with ppm's around 800 and they looked much healthier than Sid.

So, what was going on here, why was her bucket different? :hmmmm: Well, I inspected everything and noticed that her drain tube was pinched off, which means that nutes are going in, but not draining out. This means her ppm was continuously rising and causing nutrient accumulation and lockout as a result. The drain tube probably kinked when I was moving around the buckets to clean the floor of the tent.

Here is a pic of the kinked tube:

Week_4_flower_and_1st_SW_vid_001.jpg

This is Sidney on the left, see how she is discolored compared to Muffinz?

Week_4_flower_and_1st_SW_vid_014.jpg

To address this problem, I removed the nutes from Sidney's bucket and unkinked the tube. I then added 5 gallons of pH'd water to the res, along with 1 tsp of fulvic acid in each bucket (the fulvic acid arrived yesterday, super excited!). I also gave Sidney a scoop of Great White in her res to help regenerate her healthy bacteria population. This was last night.

Today, I checked on the girls and was happy to see that conditions are stable across all 4 buckets now: Around 600 ppm and pH between 5.9-6.1, including Sid, woo hoo! :) She also smells sweet again, whereas yesterday she smelled like rotting lawn clippings.

Moral(s) of the story: Keep a close eye on your plants, don't blindly trust your equipment, trust your instincts as well.

Next update (backbuilding) will be in a few days.

:Namaste:

Pulled the "R" out of my dwc for all the above reasons. Plants haven't been better. Then again, i think it may have been too much for me to handle since I've never grown a damn thing. Let alone in water.

TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

420-magazine-mobile1896902302.jpg

When is it time to trim off any fan leaves? I'm so nervous to trim anything while they're flowering. They're 3wks in but we fought root rot last week so I'm not gonna count last week as growth lol. They're on the mend and better than ever

Edit. That picture is about a week old. Much more growth now

When is it time to trim off any fan leaves? I'm so nervous to trim anything while they're flowering. They're 3wks in but we fought root rot last week so I'm not gonna count last week as growth lol. They're on the mend and better than ever

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to mess with things while they're going good . I've had a couple rounds of root rot battle and getting the plant healthy again on top of that might be asking a bit much - but what do I know .

If you're like me the first grow is the learning hurdle of "well, that didn't work...". If that is the case then trim away and see what happens! It's all about learning.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to mess with things while they're going good . I've had a couple rounds of root rot battle and getting the plant healthy again on top of that might be asking a bit much - but what do I know .

If you're like me the first grow is the learning hurdle of "well, that didn't work...". If that is the case then trim away and see what happens! It's all about learning.

I agree. I've stunted them enough. I'll trim back as needed but no major defol

420-magazine-mobile1896902302.jpg

Edit. That picture is about a week old. Much more growth now

In the above picture, I would not remove leaves. Generally speaking, if light is penetrating through the canopy, then you do not need to remove leaves. If light can't get past the giant screen of fan leaves across the top of your canopy, then open it up so those mid-lower buds can fatten up. :)

Also, Latitude is spot on with his advice. :love: There is no such thing as mistakes, only learning opportunities. With that being said, if you do choose to defol more, do it to half of the plants and compare the results side by side!

Thank you for sharing the lessons teach. :thanks:

And no...I was not the teacher's pet in school...quite the opposite! :riskybusiness:

Sounds like that was a close one. When I read that...and because the smell has changed a bit in my tent, but not really bad, more like MUSKY...whatever it is, I'm liking it...I immediately put my headlamp on and went in to check my hoses! All good! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom