420's Outdoor CBD Therapy Grow Journal - 2016

greenheart

Hello All,

This will be my third year growing our favorite plant and my first grow journal. English is not my maternal langage, so be indulgent with my mistakes !
Up to now, I have grown only automated strains (cream caramel auto, sweet afghani auto, green poison auto and sin tra bajo) with quite satisfying results given my rather low consumption. I have noticed the recent release of this CBD therapy, given to produce 0,5% THC for 8% CBD, yielding a THC/CBD ratio of 1/20. This is a 50/50 indica/sativa, sold as feminized seeds. Since I will be out of my place for a long summer break in August I have decided to start a seed rather early (germination on March 8th) and plan to put the plant in a 12/12 light regimen about mid April/early May in order to induce flowering and be able to harvest before mid July (the lady is given for a 8-9 week flowering). For this purpose, I will use a home made kind of dark cupboard (in progress) that I will place outdoor and of course, the plant we be grown in a pot (about 10 liters), using a mixture of coco barks, home made worm humus and commercial soil (the substrate I already use in a 1 liter pot). I will put the plant in the dark at 7:30 pm and get it outside at 7:30 am everyday, hoping I will be able to do this everyday for 2 months!
I guess the harvest will be tiny (I think about a one bud?) but it is a try. I will also prepare if possible a few cuttings that I will leave growing "classically" outside.
For the moment the plant is mostly outside in a plastic greenhouse or inside when the weather is too bad. I put it inside every night. A few pictures of the lady at 5 and 22 days (already smelling a little, I'm a bit afraid of what this will be later...)!
Of course, your advices and comments are very welcome!
Cheers
P1110850.jpg

P1110886.jpg

Hi folks!

A quick update at 28 days of growth. Everything looks Ok, with the first sunny days with temperature between 15 and 20 Celsius degrees. The 4th pair of leaves is showing up. The max leaves span is about 20 cm. I have started watering with lombric compost juice diluted at 1/8 and added a tea spoon of tomato fertilizer on soil surface.
Cheers

P1110905.jpg

P1110904.jpg

Hi Heraldo, Hi everyone

Heraldo: I like your idea of trying early grow outdoor and your pictures are nice! I will follow buddy's evolution closely.

I will be off for a few days but the girl (as well as my tomato seedlings, more than 10 species...including american ones like Hillbilly, Cherokee and brandywine) will be in good hands. Springs is arriving here but I still I put her under a home made plastic greenhouse, that she seems to appreciate despite the greenhouse looks quite cheap....
I hesitate to cut the first axillary shoots: I want to try a one bud but if some axillary branches can bring some more buds, they will be welcome. The other option is to let them grow a little and use them as cuttings/clones: your comments welcome.

Some pictures of the day, one playing with the mornin light.
Cheers

Hi folks,

I'm back after a week off and miss CBD therapy is doing well at day 39 in the home made greenhouse. She is now much taller than her tomato sisters. For those who would have noted, I have put a small ring of copper wire at the basis of the plant. I read in an other grow journal it was a good preventative/repulsive against slugs: let see but until now, it seems to work (if slugs have no other possible access). I plan to let her grow one or 2 weeks more and start the flowering, using a kind of bin I will put on her every evening.
Cheers
P1110946.jpg

Hello all!
some more pictures and info. Temperature is about 20°C in the greenhouse, humidity 50/60%. During the night, it is still rather cold here and often below 5°C (but it does not freeze). The greenhouse is at the sun early in the morning and it rapidly warms up. I have put a pot of fragrant geranium (pelargonium citronella also called mosquito plant) in the greenhouse (the leaf on the right) as a repellent for thrips and flying insects in general and it seems to work (I regurlarly have had thrips the other years). As for copper and slugs, let see.....
For those who would wonder, the seedling in the pot are tomatoes, spontaneously growing in the worm compost I have used for the girl.
P1110948.jpg
P1110949.jpg

Hi fellow gardeners!
We are at 45 days growing and Mrs CBD therapy is doing well. Since 2days, I put it under a zinc made kind of bin from 7:45 pm until 7:45 the next day. For the moment, no sign of pre flower. I just have noted today the presence of leaves with 7 lobes, as you could see on the pictures. I wonder if I should keep or remove the axillary shots at the basis: I have never tried one bud and from what I have seen, they should be removed. Not sure I need to go with a one bud. My main goal is to be rapidly done (cut mid July at the latest): your opinion welcome!
Cheers

P1110951.jpg
P1110953.jpg
P1110955.jpg

Looking great there... Are you going to be covering it every day for the next 8 weeks? Or are you checking for sexe? wish you all the luck I can, I've thought about doing that but I'm sure I'll miss a beat somewhere. She's looks really good...

KiG :green_heart:

Hi Snid!
Thanks for following and wishes! Yes, I plan to cover it for the next 8 weeks. I hope I will be able to cope with this schedule. I have seen in an other grow journal somewhere else that when it was impossible to cover/uncover for a few days, it was better to let the plant in the dark (let say for example for 3 days). The guy who was writing the journal did that for a few days without any problems and get a pretty nice harvest. It is already one week in 12/12, I think/hope that the first pre flowers should show up rapidly.
Best

Hi there greenheart lovin your journal was wondering since there are no laws regulating cbd's in the United States at all why all the fuss about legalization for medicinal use? That's already legal in the sense that the cbd compound is the medicinal part of the plant and you can buy cbd infused products in all 50 states legally already.!! Unless my research (along with thousands of doctors and professionals) is inaccurate, then isn't the medicinal part of the plant already legal? Now I do understand that's it's still illegal to produce and manufacture the plants that it takes to make the cbd extractions from but the compound itself is legal. Shouldn't our fight be more for the legalization of cultivation for purposes of, instead of such a generic broad spectrum legalization.?

Outdoors organicshttps://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-in-progress/274432-kera-bubblegum-northern-lights-afghan-lime-my-3-strains-im-growing.html

Hello all!
some more pictures and info. Temperature is about 20°C in the greenhouse, humidity 50/60%. During the night, it is still rather cold here and often below 5°C (but it does not freeze). The greenhouse is at the sun early in the morning and it rapidly warms up. I have put a pot of fragrant geranium (pelargonium citronella also called mosquito plant) in the greenhouse (the leaf on the right) as a repellent for thrips and flying insects in general and it seems to work (I regurlarly have had thrips the other years). As for copper and slugs, let see.....
For those who would wonder, the seedling in the pot are tomatoes, spontaneously growing in the worm compost I have used for the girl.
P1110948.jpg
P1110949.jpg

Doesn't the plastic interfere with the "direct" sun?

Outdoors organicshttps://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-in-progress/274432-kera-bubblegum-northern-lights-afghan-lime-my-3-strains-im-growing.html

Hi Ohioboy!
Thanks for your message and questions. Actually, I live in Europe and I'm not sure about the law regarding CBD but I think it is not restricted. However, In my country, even the culture of hemp is submitted to authorization (and THC should not exceed 0.2% in the species grown) and not allowed for private gardeners. This CBD therapy despite it is supposed to have a low level of THC (given for 0,35% but I guess this may vary) isn't totally devoid of THC and for this reason cannot be consider (and I regret it) as hemp. Not sure this addresses your question, but this is the best I can say.
Regarding the plastic greenhouse, up to know, both Mrs CBD therapy and tomatoes are growing nicely, so I would say it does not seem to interfere at least with their grow. What is important is to have a good ventilation since the temperature may rise very rapidly when the sun is shining strongly. I would guess that a part of the sun light spectrum is absorbed/reflected by the plastic but on the other hand, you gain in temperature, lack of wind, rain....I think the balance is quite positive
Good luck with your culture.
Best

Hi Frenchy672, Snid and all!

Frenchy672, thanks for following and advises: nonetheless I agree but actually, before reading your post, I already have removed the tomato seedling. As you will read below, I also have change the pot today! The roots were clearly needing room despite not protruding through the holes at the pot bottom.

Time for an update at 54 days after germination. Everything is doing well, except that after almost 2 weeks in 12/12, still no pre-flower showing up. However, looking at the top, I'm confident it should not be too long now. Meanwhile, I have taken to cuttings from the lowest shoots (see picture) and put them in little hand made mini greenhouses (made from plastic bottles) and put them in peat roller: they look quite good, even after being exposed to the morning sun for some hours. I have also change the size of the pot (the new one is about 10 liters) and I think ( hope!) I should go up to the end with it. I have fill it with a mixture of coco fibers, worm compost, heather earth, classical potting medium and some tomato fertilizer. I also have applied an insecticide treatment today, thryps being more and more numerous and starting to leave scars in the leaves.
Time for some pictures.
Best !
P1110970.jpg
P1110989.jpg
P1110967.jpg
P1110966.jpg

hi greenheart, your plant looks very good, dont remove any leaves, just leave it for more buds.

Now the weather should start getting warmer, try putting the cuttings in a 15 or 20 litre pot i think they will do well and get even bigger than their mother.

Back
Top Bottom