There were 10 Green Peppers

ajagunle

Previously I have just used my NFT tanks to water my compost planted Peppers but this year I decided to try true Hydroponics.

The Correx (corrugated plastic) lids to the tanks needed replacing as the originals had been 'adapted' several times, unfortunately I made my decision after starting this years crop :red face:

I had to drain and thoroughly clean the tanks which involved tearing the very healthy roots from the spreader mat that was a disgusting green mess colonised by a bubbling broth of algae,

I completed the last tank this afternoon

10_Green_Peppers_a.jpg

Each tank has an airstone in the reservoir filled with harvested rainwater, Canna flowering nutes. The plants were grown from seed, started on 22nd February, in rockwool cubes and planted in 3” cubes, each with a copper collar. I have bought a greenhouse pH pen, TDS meter and max/min thermometer.

The very alkaline reservoir has already effected the leaves, compost does provide quite a cushion it seems, not sure what they are deficient in, if anyone has an idea or inkling please speak up, I have armed myself with the necessary equipment and adjusted the pH to 6.2 and will check and adjust daily,

Leaves_b.jpg

I will get a photo of the new leaves as they unfurl to see if the coloring improves.

My Lemon tree, Kiwi vine behind and Rhubarb bottom left

Lemon38.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions regarding thinning the Lemon bush or not please chip in, most of the small lemonettes have been shed and I keep thinking it might be all too cramped.

:Namaste:

Woo Hoo! Garden goodies. :)

You gonna have the 'Nanna tree updates here too?

I love watching people grow peppers, but I'm just not a pepper eater. Now...my Dad...he'll chow down on the hottest peppers in the world and love it.
:laugh:

Hi :high-five:

Not sure, what do you think? I started this journal for the less beautiful and more ordinary sides of this particular season, maybe Autumn too. If its OK anything a little 'special' I'll still post on yours?

:circle-of-love:

Hi :high-five:

Not sure, what do you think? I started this journal for the less beautiful and more ordinary sides of this particular season, maybe Autumn too. If its OK anything a little 'special' I'll still post on yours?

:circle-of-love:

Post anything you like on the seasons thread. You are more than welcome to do that.

I edited my post to include some info on your Pepper leaves too. You'll have to read it again.

:thumb:

Post anything you like on the seasons thread. You are more than welcome to do that.

I edited my post to include some info on your Pepper leaves too. You'll have to read it again.

:thumb:

I intended this journal for my peppers and leave you to look after the beauty side of things :bigblush:, I get a reasonable harvest but thought about 'none of us...' as you have already demonstrated, fantastic link, thank you, I agree with your diagnosis on the pepper and I will be reading-up on Lemons tonight for sure :thumb:

:yahoo:

The first pepper has formed despite the plants' life experience so far

Padron_a.jpg

The air pump is going to need upgrading I think, there is only a trickle of air bubbles by the time I had added 4 air stones, piping air to my Tomatos in a static hydroponic tank all off one low power pump.

Some more reading is required, it looks like there are things living in the plants and shedding their skin, this is a whole new learning curve for me, exciting stuff learning all about the inhabitants of the greenhouse

Bugs_a.jpg

The regular structure of the plant is so like that of Cannabis, quite beautiful

Padron_structure_a1.jpg

Or aphids? I see that aphids aren't all a translucent green color like we are used to seeing in my climate.

The foundation brush has eventually been delivered, pennies and it came from China (?) strange world, and the DE that you and Grizz talked about, I shall get them ready for the ball! :high-five:

I have installed a 2 outlet air pump to the 2 NFT trays, the older air pump if now delivering to 2 airstones in the Tomato planter.:thumb:

I have also replaced one of the water pumps in the NFT tanks, when trying to measure the pH I noticed how weak the water jet had reduced to, the pump has worked for 5 or 6 months a year for 6 years so I think it had done its part. The plants with only a trickle of water are 3 or 4 inches shorter than the others.:thumb:

Leaf_b.jpg

New growth of leaves on one tank are coming through evenly green and showing no signs of deficiency, the other tank will get a dose of Epsom salts today. Both tanks are now consistantly ar 5.8pH at least once every day, I will raise or lower to include the full range for the rest of the Summer. It will take a week to get in a routine as I get to know the pH of the water butts and how the reservoir changes as I crank up the Nutes to the highest stable level, might be quite different to indoor cannabis.

I have applied Diatomaceus Earth to the unopned flower buds, underside of most leavees and to most branching sites. I think a powder puffer would have been far easier Canna 😄 I have ordered a Hearing Aid cleaner that has a pump and a nozzle on a stem, I can imagine it working better than the make up brush

Flowers_and_dust_b.jpg

:high-five:

Hey Aj!

Are those bell peppers or chilli peppers?

Hi Bapple,

They are Padron peppers, a chilli to make an excellent Spanish tapas plate

I have tried growing bell peppers in my greenhouse, the UK summer has proven to be far from ideal

:thanks: for joining me in the garden :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom