Time for 1st flush? Auto one month in Happy Frog

MesialDrift

So my autos were transferred into 5 gallon Happy Frog exactly one month ago. They have been feed twice (FloroNovoBloom 2 ml each time), in addition to 3ml Calmag and 3ml of Silca per gallon every watering. I always water to run off. I put off flushing with my first grow too long and i fear the same thing is happening with my 2nd. Everything is occurring from the bottom so I’m assuming it’s locked out and not getting nutes? Or am I over feeding and it’s too much nutes? Everything going in is pH to 6.0-6.8.

one question about flushing. I have city water which I’m assuming is full of chlorine. Is it okay to flush using it? Last time I went to the grocery store and purchased $30 worth of distilled water to watch almost all of it go down the drain.

Attachments

• 52BB2806-AD95-4A30-9646-B8338108A7C6.jpeg
    52BB2806-AD95-4A30-9646-B8338108A7C6.jpeg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1B7D77D1-816A-4864-AF05-EC7C66EB9EB8.jpeg
    1B7D77D1-816A-4864-AF05-EC7C66EB9EB8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 87EE0629-CCAA-4D21-938C-13F0D488071D.jpeg
    87EE0629-CCAA-4D21-938C-13F0D488071D.jpeg
    996.2 KB · Views: 67
.some municipalities use chlorine others use chloramine. You could search on their website and see which they use, some may even post target numbers for what they aim at for output.

not an official answer here just economist point of view but I would probably flush 2 X with tap and use the distilled water for the last flush

side note - I’m generally opposed to flushing soil but I know FF recommends it.

Hi @MesialDrift ! I see a hungry plant is all... I think you need to feed more often. I see a macronutrient deficiency starting low and moving upwards. I don't think you need to flush after only feeding twice... flushing is to remove the salts that build up from heavy nute use, and you don't fall into that category. Flush about week 6 of bloom, just to clear out the pipes for a good finish... for now, feed/water/feed/water When you do flush, or even when you are feeding them, the chlorine in tap water doesn't hurt a thing. It is a myth that anyone other than the purely organic grower has to worry about chlorine.

Flushing isn't going to "fix" anything prolly kill your plants and certainly kill the microbes in the soil since they are aerobic bacteria and fungi.

So there's that.

Without understanding whats going on with your soil you cant and shouldn't just solve it with water. Figure out whats up.

If you're watering with TAP water and not letting it set out overnight or doing something about whats actually in your water its a crap shoot at best. You're guessing for a solution.

What it looks like to me is something is wrong with your water.

Either your pH is off and/or too much "stuff" in the water you don't know about and you're in pretty small containers. Larger containers you get more buffering with the soil so you have more wiggle room. Small containers something goes off and you have issues.

I would first let your water sit out overnight and pH test it. Then do your normal feeding without the cal/mag and pH test that and adjust according to the label on your fertilizer bag.

Verify your pH testing device is it calibrated?

Some simple things that aren't right cause issues like you have.

Its going to be ok we've all been here and how we learn! You got this

.some municipalities use chlorine others use chloramine. You could search on their website and see which they use, some may even post target numbers for what they aim at for output.

not an official answer here just economist point of view but I would probably flush 2 X with tap and use the distilled water for the last flush

side note - I’m generally opposed to flushing soil but I know FF recommends it.

Thanks! I did some research and it seems like chloride is added to get to .7 ppm. I always use distilled water so I don’t have to worry about it - I was just considering using tap water for the flush since I have to use such large quantities.

Hi @MesialDrift ! I see a hungry plant is all... I think you need to feed more often. I see a macronutrient deficiency starting low and moving upwards. I don't think you need to flush after only feeding twice... flushing is to remove the salts that build up from heavy nute use, and you don't fall into that category. Flush about week 6 of bloom, just to clear out the pipes for a good finish... for now, feed/water/feed/water When you do flush, or even when you are feeding them, the chlorine in tap water doesn't hurt a thing. It is a myth that anyone other than the purely organic grower has to worry about chlorine.

‘Thanks so much - I’ll continue to use nova bloom and stay away from flushing. It’s a mess anyway. Thanks for the heads up on tap water too!

Flushing isn't going to "fix" anything prolly kill your plants and certainly kill the microbes in the soil since they are aerobic bacteria and fungi.

So there's that.

Without understanding whats going on with your soil you cant and shouldn't just solve it with water. Figure out whats up.

If you're watering with TAP water and not letting it set out overnight or doing something about whats actually in your water its a crap shoot at best. You're guessing for a solution.

What it looks like to me is something is wrong with your water.

Either your pH is off and/or too much "stuff" in the water you don't know about and you're in pretty small containers. Larger containers you get more buffering with the soil so you have more wiggle room. Small containers something goes off and you have issues.

I would first let your water sit out overnight and pH test it. Then do your normal feeding without the cal/mag and pH test that and adjust according to the label on your fertilizer bag.

Verify your pH testing device is it calibrated?

Some simple things that aren't right cause issues like you have.

Its going to be ok we've all been here and how we learn! You got this

I’ve only ever used store purchased distilled water in one gallon containers. I always Ph after I add nutes. Usually I get two separate readings and shake the container in between. Especially since I always need to use PH up/down. I also triple check with some indicator drops that came with the pH up and down. I used to aim for 5.5 to 6.5 but i realized that was a bit low so I’ve been doing 6.0-6.7 the last few times. I calibrate every few weeks with 4.0 and 7.0. It looks like everyone is suggesting not to flush so I’ll wont mess with it now. Thank you for your advice.

You can use tap water most is ok. Some water tho is shit. When we lived in philly we haada get an RO filter for drinking and cooking think Flint MI. Same deal. They add so much chems to the water for this and that it becomes a chemical soup that plants wont live in containers.

RO filter cost me 50-60 dollars gotta be less than buying it.

RO Buddie - I hooked mine up in the laundry room and filled 5 gal car boys and toted then around for a while. That was fun.

I only use RO water for my plants and I only flush my toilet... On a serious note, you should look into growing with "Living Organic Soil or LOS" and throw away your bottled nutes. Way less complicated and you don't need to be concerned with flushing

You can use tap water most is ok. Some water tho is shit. When we lived in philly we haada get an RO filter for drinking and cooking think Flint MI. Same deal. They add so much chems to the water for this and that it becomes a chemical soup that plants wont live in containers.

RO filter cost me 50-60 dollars gotta be less than buying it.

RO Buddie - I hooked mine up in the laundry room and filled 5 gal car boys and toted then around for a while. That was fun.
I’m definitely going to look into the RO system - I’m getting tired of hauling distilled water all over the place. I don’t live to far away from Flint so who knows whats in our water.

I only use RO water for my plants and I only flush my toilet... On a serious note, you should look into growing with "Living Organic Soil or LOS" and throw away your bottled nutes. Way less complicated and you don't need to be concerned with flushing

im totally on board with soil I dont have to flush. It’s a real mess hauling all my plants from our basement to our garage and its starting to get cold in Michigan - I’m a wimp. any recommendations?

im totally on board with soil I dont have to flush. It’s a real mess hauling all my plants from our basement to our garage and its starting to get cold in Michigan - I’m a wimp. any recommendations?
I recommend "Coot's mix", 1/3 sphagnum peat moss, 1/3 aeration, 1/3 compost, + other amendments and minerals. Also read up on Living Organic soil. Other people replying to this thread are also into Coot's mix and LOS.

https://growingorganic.com/soil-guide/coots-soil-mix/

So, by this i assume you have watered just twice in 30 days?
In 5 gal fabric pots.
If thats the case then thats probably your problem.

oh no. I can see why you would think that but I water every Monday and Friday. I usually use 1/3 of gallon on each of my 3 plants in 5 gallon pots. It’s always enough for some run off. I usually feed on Thursdays so every other time I water.

I recommend "Coot's mix", 1/3 sphagnum peat moss, 1/3 aeration, 1/3 compost, + other amendments and minerals. Also read up on Living Organic soil. Other people replying to this thread are also into Coot's mix and LOS.

Coots Soil Mix | Organic Soil & Compost | Growing Organic

thanks for the introduction! It looks like it’s more work than just buying the soil already blended -but it still beats flushing and I can use all the compost I’ve been saving the last year or so.

and I would like to recommend Subcool's mix... much less peat to break down and when starting with a good base soil like FoxFarm Ocean Forest, the resulting supersoil is very sustainable and will last for 4 or 5 years without breaking down or going acidic.

Ive read up on this mix. It’s a neat idea to use Ocean Forest with Light Warrior as a base. It’s getting too cold to set something outside for a month in Michigan. Maybe next spring?

Look at Buildasoil.com or Kis organics they have premix organic soils. Also "Sohum soil" is premixed and is a water only soil.

I’m definitely going to look into the RO system - I’m getting tired of hauling distilled water all over the place. I don’t live to far away from Flint so who knows whats in our water.
Flint just tip of the iceberg. Any city with old infrastructure for water has lead pipes and then there's the lead solder used on copper pipes then all the chemicals to keep the pipes from oxidizing and poisoning with lead.

Fresh water gonna be up there with climate change soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom