Timmy Haha's First DWC C4 Auto Grow Journal - 2016

Day 24 Update

Been a busy week at work so I didn't get to post a daily update. But maybe a daily update is too much for people anyway. In any case, here's the latest....

My pH has been pretty stable for a week now. Once I did the water change last weekend and lowered the water level below that of the growstones, the pH stabilized right away - climbing from 5.8 on 1/8/17 to 6.6 today. I brought it back down to 6.1 by topping up the reservoir with pH adjusted water and a higher concentration of nutes.

I've been reading some awesome journals on here and some of them got me thinking in more detail about my nutes and feeding schedule. Which made me realize I've been making a mistake in measuring out the nutes into the water when I do my water changes. I forgot that the feeding chart lists dosages per 1 gallon of water and I've been mixing 3 gallons at a time! Plus, I was only giving 1/4 of the dosage listed because I read that nutes should only be given at 1/4 strength and increased slowly through the veg cycle. So in the end, I was REALLY underfeeding her. Talk about starting out slow! So twice this week I added in more nutrients based on the Week 1 schedule of the GH feeding chart (I know I'm in week 4, but I don't want to shock or overfeed). I'm going real slow and looking for signs of nutrient burn. So far she's looking good and as of today the PPMs are up to 551 (much better than the 290 I had a week ago).

Heat is still an issue in the tent with the new LED, but I have it manageable for now hovering at 84 during the day and 65 at night. I know the temp is still a bit high, but the plant isn't showing any signs of heat stress or other problems, so I'm just going to let it be for a bit longer and see what happens. To get the heat down, I moved my clip-on fan down to the bottom of the tent and positioned it so it sucks in air from one of the intake vents.

RH is also lower than it was before the LED, but hovering around 40% most of the time. As I'm currently in week 4 and, being an auto, I think flowering will start in the next couple of weeks, the humidity level is perfect for the next stage. So I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing (hanging wet hand towels from the top bars of the tent) to keep it at the current level.

It's funny when you are dealing and fussing with your plant every day how you don't really notice the difference in growth. Sure, you notice the new growth coming out and the latest leaves spreading, but I don't think you can really appreciate the amount of growth that occurs until you look at some pictures. At least for me, it seems things have really changed over the last week and I didn't really become aware of it until I looked at some pictures. For example, here's Ruth last weekend:

Day_18_pics_003.JPG

And here's last night:

Day_24_pics_004.JPG

I can't wait to see how she'll look next week after another week of lst-ing!

So here are some close-ups...

Day_24_pics_022.JPG

Day_24_pics_021.JPG

Day_24_pics_016.JPG

Day_24_pics_009.JPG

I trimmed two fan leaves off today to give light to a couple of the smaller colas at bottom, so hopefully those will start to blossom up soon.

That's all the news for today, peeps! Thanks for reading and feel free to leave any comments or suggestions. Now where's my one-hitter gone....?

:volcano-smiley:

Lookin great Timmy :thumb:

I got a feeding for you....the card on carrie said she liked heavy feeding....so I threw caution to the wind and mixed up a double, full strength feeding and let her have it..:jawdropper:..What doesn't kill her will make her stronger right..:thumb:..Although I wouldn't recommend you do that...I have a different philosophy about growing....I find the limits first and learn my lessons that way. Any way, all I can say is that she grew 5 inches taller this week....she is stretching though. No burn....just awesome growth

20170110_131802.jpg

:circle-of-love:

She definitely liked that extra feeding, bckush! She filled in great!

I think I need to be a bit more careful with my girl. I've upped my nutes and added a dose of Floraliscious Plus yesterday and today I noticed a few of the bigger fan leaf tips are turning yellowish. My PPMs are up to 622 (up from 340 a week ago), so maybe I need to dial it back a bit?

Following this message, I'll post a pic that shows a leaf tip turning yellowish.

It's an awful picture, but you get the idea. The tip of the three-prong fan leaf at the very left of the picture is turning yellow. The big fan leaf at the top of the picture is also turning yellow at the tips, but you can't see those spots in this pic. Since these leafs were fine yesterday, the discoloring has occurred since I've upped the nutes. Is this the first sign of nute burn? Should I just dilute my reservoir with some plain pH adjusted water to bring the PPMs down (they're at 622 today)?

Day_27_pics_005.JPG

:oops:

Now here are some other pics from today and last night. Is this girl starting to flower already? She's hardly grown at all (tomorrow is the last day of Week 4). I was hoping she'd be taller and more bushy before she started the flowering stage, but maybe I don't understand the full life cycle yet....

Day_27_pics_003.JPG

Day_26_pics_008.JPG

Day_26_pics_007.JPG

Day_26_pics_001.JPG

Comments and feedback appreciated! Thanks, 420 peeps!

:smokin:

They will be ok...as far as is being small....What I have learned is each strain is different.....patty spit flowers at 16 days, carrie didnt until day 27.......patty exploded in growth from the beginning while carrie stayed so short....in the last week patty has had an inch of vert growth and carrie has had 6"....just keep good notes for the future so you know what to expect......right now neither of us has grown auto's before so not sure what to expect.

It's funny...I have been so excited about patty that I have kinda ignored carrie....but now she is lookin kinda sexy...lol

Yea...those are pistals in there :high-five:

You're plants look great to me. The tips aren't anything to be concerned about. Mine are getting a bit of the same and a really great green thumb said have zero worries. I'd keep going about business as usual. Slow, smooth increases on feedings.

And I'm pretty sure that's just preflower. From what I've seen, our girls are really about to take off growing over the next 2-3 weeks. Granted, I've seen a lot of compact autos that aren't very tall, but if I were a betting man, you should start seeing considerable growth each night once she really starts moving.

Week six is when blooming should really start poppin off.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, guys! I really appreciate it and you've set my mind at ease for now. I'll just let the nutes ride for now and hopefully won't have any more tips turning color. I'm super excited to be seeing pistils already! Can't wait to see how much growth takes off this week!

I think I'm also going to start germinating my Super Lemon Haze auto seed this week. That'll put her at a month behind Ruth. Should be exciting to see the difference in strains as far as growth and structure go. I'm definitely going to top the SLH when it's time too.

You're plants look great to me. The tips aren't anything to be concerned about. Mine are getting a bit of the same and a really great green thumb said have zero worries. I'd keep going about business as usual. Slow, smooth increases on feedings.

And I'm pretty sure that's just preflower. From what I've seen, our girls are really about to take off growing over the next 2-3 weeks. Granted, I've seen a lot of compact autos that aren't very tall, but if I were a betting man, you should start seeing considerable growth each night once she really starts moving.

Week six is when blooming should really start poppin off.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

20170112_001543.jpg

20170112_225240.jpg

30 days from seed....bloomin good :thumb:

I like how Carrie looks. She liked that latest feeding you gave her, for sure! I see lots of nice colas coming.

Definitely can see the difference in strains. Funny how they can be so different.

I haven't been able to find any pics on the internet of my C4 auto, so I have no idea what she's going to look like or if she's on a normal growth track. I've been able to find lots of pics of my next grow (Super Lemon Haze auto), so I already know what to expect there. But for now, I'm having fun just watching the day-to-day growth and looking back at "old" pictures to appreciate how much growth has actually occurred in such a short time.

Back
Top Bottom