Timmy Haha's First DWC C4 Auto Grow Journal - 2016

Hey brother, what's your PPM start out at with the tap water you're using? That'll help you get a baseline for where it should be.

I'm in my second hydro grow, using the same nutes and thus far, at the rough age your plants are now, I've seen good success going as high has 550. Some consideration should be given to genetics tho, as some plants will more readily accept high nute levels.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Now I have a general question for anyone who cares to answer: how much does the RH affect plant growth? I'm having trouble getting my humidity past 30% and I've been reading that ideal RH for veg stage is in the 50 range. I live in MA where it can get pretty cold and my apartment has steam radiators for heat which make the entire house very dry. I have a humidifier I could put in, but I also don't want to create a rainforest in there. Does anyone have any tricks on raising RH?

Thanks so much for reading and following! Happy toking!

Hello & welcome to the 420 community Timmyhaha!

I run a humidifier every day in my grow room. Now that u have the grow tent are you still experiencing issues with RH?

Hello & welcome to the 420 community Timmyhaha!

I run a humidifier every day in my grow room. Now that u have the grow tent are you still experiencing issues with RH?

Hi WR420! Now that I have a tent, no I'm not experiencing humidity probs. But that's because I'm hanging a wet towel in the tent and re-soaking it every 12 hours. Otherwise my RH would be very low (like under 30).

I don't know what I'll do next weekend though. I'm going away for 3 days and won't be able to rewet the towel.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey brother, what's your PPM start out at with the tap water you're using? That'll help you get a baseline for where it should be.

I'm in my second hydro grow, using the same nutes and thus far, at the rough age your plants are now, I've seen good success going as high has 550. Some consideration should be given to genetics tho, as some plants will more readily accept high nute levels.

Hey Daffid! How's it going?
My General Hydroponics feeding chart says my PPM should be up around 1300! But that seems awfully high to me. My tap PPM is around 120. But this being my first hydro grow, I have no idea what's ideal.

Going great brother! My girls are starting to get frosty, and it's not Old Man Winter's fault! Lol

My tap starts around 110 so it sounds like we're in similar positions. I wouldn't be afraid to kick it up to 550 PPM at this point. Every other watering for the first 8 weeks or so I ratchet things up a bit until I get to around 1k PPM. I haven't grown a strain yet that seemed to like more than that without getting into some crispy fan leaf tips, but I have read journals that went much higher.

As you're getting started with growing, my suggestion would be to increase 10-15% every water change, or every other, until you begin to see the first hints of nute burn then back it off a little.

It looks like you're off to a great start with your LST! Nicely done!

Hi WR420! Now that I have a tent, no I'm not experiencing humidity probs. But that's because I'm hanging a wet towel in the tent and re-soaking it every 12 hours. Otherwise my RH would be very low (like under 30).

I don't know what I'll do next weekend though. I'm going away for 3 days and won't be able to rewet the towel.

Use a larger towel and fold it a few times....holds water longer:thumb:
Thats about where my rh runs 30-45% except the day or two after i water then its usually 55-65%

Yo peeps! :cheer:

My LED arrived today! Mars Hydro Mars600! Should be plenty strong enough for the 2x2 tent. I put it in before I even changed my clothes after work! Here's a pic:

Day_21_pics_008.JPG

I have it about 22" above the top of my plant. According to the chart that came with it and some other posts I've read, I can move it down to 18" when it goes in to flower. I'll have to be careful in the future strains I choose to grow, though, because my tent is less than 6' tall (<2m) and I'll need at least 20" clearance from the top for this light. I'll have to be diligent about topping, lollipoping, and other training to keep the height down.

Speaking of training, Ruth seems to be taking well to it. This is one day (Day 20) after lst:

Day_20_pics_007.JPG

Day_20_pics_004.JPG

Day_20_pics_005.JPG

She looks even better today, but the pictures didn't come out well under the new LED. I'll wait until I do my water check later to take some pics in white light. For now, I just wanted to share my happiness from the new LED! I can't wait to see if growth picks up....

:circle-of-love:

Yo peeps! :cheer:

My LED arrived today! Mars Hydro Mars600! Should be plenty strong enough for the 2x2 tent. I put it in before I even changed my clothes after work! Here's a pic:

Day_21_pics_008.JPG

I have it about 22" above the top of my plant. According to the chart that came with it and some other posts I've read, I can move it down to 18" when it goes in to flower. I'll have to be careful in the future strains I choose to grow, though, because my tent is less than 6' tall (<2m) and I'll need at least 20" clearance from the top for this light. I'll have to be diligent about topping, lollipoping, and other training to keep the height down.

Speaking of training, Ruth seems to be taking well to it. This is one day (Day 20) after lst:

Day_20_pics_007.JPG

Day_20_pics_004.JPG

Day_20_pics_005.JPG

She looks even better today, but the pictures didn't come out well under the new LED. I'll wait until I do my water check later to take some pics in white light. For now, I just wanted to share my happiness from the new LED! I can't wait to see if growth picks up....

:circle-of-love:

Nice! Plants looking good and healthy! That light will be plenty for 2x2 tent

She's looking healthy! I have a similar light from Mars Hydro, I think you'll really enjoy the results!

She's looking healthy! I have a similar light from Mars Hydro, I think you'll really enjoy the results!

Thanks, Daffid! But YIKES! After 2 hours of the light being on, I opened the tent to take my water readings and the temp was up to 91 and the humidity was down to 13%! I think the light may be overkill for such a small tent. I tried to open up some of the vents at the top and move my little fan to blow over the top of the lights, but I think I'm gonna need a small exhaust fan. Can't believe it got that hot in 2 hours! I'll give it a day to see what happens, but if my reservoir water starts to heat up, I'll have to go back to the CFL and save this light for a bigger tent.

Thanks, Daffid! But YIKES! After 2 hours of the light being on, I opened the tent to take my water readings and the temp was up to 91 and the humidity was down to 13%! I think the light may be overkill for such a small tent. I tried to open up some of the vents at the top and move my little fan to blow over the top of the lights, but I think I'm gonna need a small exhaust fan. Can't believe it got that hot in 2 hours! I'll give it a day to see what happens, but if my reservoir water starts to heat up, I'll have to go back to the CFL and save this light for a bigger tent.
It's amazing how much difference one thing can make to a small environment. Good thing you were onto it, wouldn't have taken long for severe overheating and rootrot. Hope all is well! I'd be spraying the walls to get that tent nice and moist again. Ice brick in the water as well maybe?

Sent from my Pixel using 420

That's a good catch, Timmy! I hadn't thought through that. I have 2 PC tower fans mounted in my cabinet, one exhausting, the other as an intake. That keeps the space cool for me. My space isn't too much larger than your tent.

Maybe, at least for the short term, you can cobble something together until you can find a proper exhaust fan?

Hey bud, so my fan came in last night and my temp maxed out at 75 over the last 18. I highly recommend getting one yourself. Mines a bit noisy, but I got the 6" apollo inline if amazon for 70. The temps being steady and the amount of air exchange is going to be great for the ladies tho. My humidity is hanging around the 35-45 mark too.

Hey bud, so my fan came in last night and my temp maxed out at 75 over the last 18. I highly recommend getting one yourself. Mines a bit noisy, but I got the 6" apollo inline if amazon for 70. The temps being steady and the amount of air exchange is going to be great for the ladies tho. My humidity is hanging around the 35-45 mark too.

That's awesome! Thanks for letting me know. One question - how did you mount the fan inside the tent? What did you attach the mounting bracket to? One of the cross bars? If you don't mind, could you take a picture and post it here? Thanks, JM!

I'll have an update soon with some pics.

It's a little rigged but I've got two 200 pound beaners attached to the fan, hooked to hemp that I've wrapped a few times over. It might be a little reckless and I should probably go buy some steel, but I believe in hemps durability lol.

Actually, I'll probably pull the fan and light down this weekend and hook the beaners over the cross supports.

d49cde9e78808fddf4446d567b4af44e.jpg
1b24cd6c71bbcbef6a527766f476d5a9.jpg
a45d1ad6d1e44f17a2640f9ddcebf15b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom