Tincture potency

andyb53

420 Member
i want to know approximately how potent my tincture will be. tell me if my thinking is incorrect. if i have 10 grams of bud, that is 10,000 milligrams of bud. if the bud is listed at 20% thc, that is 2,000 mg of thc. am i wrong in using this type of calculation. i know that the listed percentages of thc are not exact and i would also not expect to be able to extract 100% of the thc.

The numbers given for THC content are often optimistic. The percentage will vary from batch to batch, unless you have access to test and analysis equipment. Without that, you are on the right track.

What I'd do is take a small amount of your concentrate and add alcohol to get to where you think it should be, for testing. The testing being you trying it. Make it about half the strength you think you'll want. You just figure how much you used to get the effect you want, and calculate the amount of alcohol needed for the entire batch. When you have that, you can mix the rest of the batch up.

I did the same type of thing for my capsules. Before I did extractions, I ground up the decarbed flower, and put it into capsules. The dose of THC varied quite a bit, as some had more trichomes than others. I did find out how much flower I needed to get the effect I wanted. From this, I went to the extraction and kept track of how much flower I used. Let's take for example, that I extracted from 10 gms of flower, and got 2 gms of extract. Each capsule needed the extract from 1/4 gm of flower, so the extract was enough for 40 capsules. The capsules each hold 0.67ml, so for 40 capsules, I need 26.8ml of liquid. I add enough coconut oil to bring the volume up to 26.8ml mix it well, and fill my 40 capsules. The result is pretty darn close to what I wanted.

@SweetSue has a good thread SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall which has more information.

The numbers given for THC content are often optimistic. The percentage will vary from batch to batch, unless you have access to test and analysis equipment. Without that, you are on the right track.

What I'd do is take a small amount of your concentrate and add alcohol to get to where you think it should be, for testing. The testing being you trying it. Make it about half the strength you think you'll want. You just figure how much you used to get the effect you want, and calculate the amount of alcohol needed for the entire batch. When you have that, you can mix the rest of the batch up.

I did the same type of thing for my capsules. Before I did extractions, I ground up the decarbed flower, and put it into capsules. The dose of THC varied quite a bit, as some had more trichomes than others. I did find out how much flower I needed to get the effect I wanted. From this, I went to the extraction and kept track of how much flower I used. Let's take for example, that I extracted from 10 gms of flower, and got 2 gms of extract. Each capsule needed the extract from 1/4 gm of flower, so the extract was enough for 40 capsules. The capsules each hold 0.67ml, so for 40 capsules, I need 26.8ml of liquid. I add enough coconut oil to bring the volume up to 26.8ml mix it well, and fill my 40 capsules. The result is pretty darn close to what I wanted.

@SweetSue has a good thread SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall which has more information.
thanks salt. another question. generally, how much less potent is shake than the full bud?

thanks salt. another question. generally, how much less potent is shake than the full bud?

I have no idea. I've always just used the full bud. I grow more than I need, and either give away the extra, or compost it.

I think I am going to try to make a Tincture Concentrate as one of my first things to make in the Extractcraft Source Turbo I just got.
They have a facebook group with some great tips and techniques. I don't know how to insert the address, I'm old.

Hello everyone. Our niece gave us some rick Simpson oil. When in need,I usually dose myself pretty heavy with my homemade cocoanut cannabis oil. Whats the best way to use this stuff? It says 20ml, thats 4 tsp. , is a good dose. The label says 350mg RSO per 60ml bottle. Thanks all! :yummy:

The testing being you trying it. Make it about half the strength you think you'll want.

Advice to live by! I wish I was wise enough to take this advice when I first came across oil infused brownies. "Don't eat the whole thing" he said. As I impatiently waited for the first half to kick in I had already eaten the second. :rofl:

I think I am going to try to make a Tincture Concentrate as one of my first things to make in the Extractcraft Source Turbo I just got.
Holy crap that is a 10 grand extractor. I was debating a 400€ press.

Holy crap that is a 10 grand extractor. I was debating a 400€ press.
It was actually $400 on sale ($100 off)
Been totally worth it, I am still using the same Gallon of 200 proof alcohol that I bought at the same time 1 1/2 years ago and I make Tincture once a month.
I've made about 18-20 batches of Tincture and still have over half a gallon left so should get between 50 to 60 batches.
I've probably saved more in alcohol already than the $400 cost.

It was actually $400 on sale ($100 off)
Been totally worth it, I am still using the same Gallon of 200 proof alcohol that I bought at the same time 1 1/2 years ago and I make Tincture once a month.
I've made about 18-20 batches of Tincture and still have over half a gallon left so should get between 50 to 60 batches.
I've probably saved more in alcohol already than the $400 cost.
Hey Nunya, I made some butter for my 1st time this morning. I only used trim; but it was only the close to the bud & sugar leaf trim that was frosty. Spent a lot of time making sure of that. Anyways, I had 35.4 gr. of decarbed trim that I used for 2 sticks of butter. Is it suppose to come out kind of Pea Green colored ? Not sure this is even good so didn't want to waste good weed trying it the 1st time. I was planning to use it in Brownies & Peanut Butter Cookies.

i want to know approximately how potent my tincture will be. tell me if my thinking is incorrect. if i have 10 grams of bud, that is 10,000 milligrams of bud. if the bud is listed at 20% thc, that is 2,000 mg of thc. am i wrong in using this type of calculation. i know that the listed percentages of thc are not exact and i would also not expect to be able to extract 100% of the thc.
I know Im years late but I want to make sure folks are clear...the thc% is based on what levels a tricrome produces on average for that plant the strains thc% description really has less to do with how high you will get then you might realize... Think of it this way...a high thc plant with very low frost/crystals isn't gonna get you as blazed as a lower thc bud covered thick in frost/crystals thats just the way it is

I know Im years late but I want to make sure folks are clear...the thc% is based on what levels a tricrome produces on average for that plant the strains thc% description really has less to do with how high you will get then you might realize... Think of it this way...a high thc plant with very low frost/crystals isn't gonna get you as blazed as a lower thc bud covered thick in frost/crystals thats just the way it is
Hey DS, that's interesting, makes sense if that's what is meant by THC%. I hadn't really given it much thought as the percentages attached to strains were just what one see when reading about a strain.

Then you have a high THC cultivar that is absolutely packed with trichomes.
20200826_193444.jpg

Back
Top Bottom