Trimming & cloning

Enjoying

This is my first time posting pictures with a question so I am hoping they post in the order I upload them so my question is clear.

In this first picture the leaf that is closest to the camera is a fan leaf, the leaf that is directly to the left and is the most shaded on the entire plant is the diagonal growth that comes between nodes, diectly across from that is the diagonal growth again. From there I assume you see what is what.

My question here is, can I use that diagonal growth for clones? I assume I could always use a top from a topped plant to do this but I planted this plant so late that I don't want to top it as it will put me even more behind than I am righ now. Will cutting the diagonal growth slow growth down? I started the plants like 3 - 4 months late LOL.

Another question is, when it comes to trimming should I keep that diagonal growth cut back or should I keep it as it will grow buds? I assume it will be what is referred to as larf or popcorn buds. I am unsure if I want larf but I think I may be open to popcorn buds as I can add them to the trim or roll joints with them. I am not completely sure if there is a difference between the two - larf and popcorn buds.

I am really liking how this plant is looking. I wish I could make it a mother plant but I don't have the setup for that right now, hopefully in the future. I have an idea for a small cabinet for mothers and clones. I really need to transplant it but I am afraid it will slow the growth longer than I want BUT the pot it is in is like 1 - 2 gallons. I would like to put it in a 5, thatis the biggest I have. I feel a transplant would lead to a larger yeild vs leavng it in this small pot.

The second picture is just a closer look at the bottom of the plant in the first. It actually looks like it changed the diagonal growth into a fan leaf on one side(I will ahve to take a closer look at the plant, apparently I need to open my eyes a little wider when I am out there). This plant has some mutations as does the other of the same strain from the same company but that one is growing really slow. This is the only plant that is this big and healthy looking. I made a lot of mistakes though so it's mostly on me and the heat isn't helping. Back to the mutations, I am just thinking based on the plants mutations that when I cut the fan leaf it decided to make another rather than stay diagonal growth.

Sorry if this post is wordy. Hopefully my questions are clear. If not , I can clarify.

Attachments

• P1030419.JPG
    P1030419.JPG
    987.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P1030418.JPG
    P1030418.JPG
    983.2 KB · Views: 65
i only see leaves. no branches
What stage is your plant in?

You should clones from the lower branches or when you do your topping

i only see leaves. no branches
What stage is your plant in?

You should clones from the lower branches or when you do your topping

It's a baby! Idk how old I stopped counting because there's not a whole lot I can do with it past let it grow. I started really late so I will have to bring it inside when the weather changes(hopefully around 2 - 3 months. It could still be vegging then LOL. Unless the seasons make it flip but even if they do it won't be long enough to finish). I figured the top is ideal but I really have no clue as to if one is better than the other (branches/diagonal growth vs the top) so I thought I'd ask. It's roughly 6 weeks but probably closer to 4.5 - 5. It had a rough start! I can get into that if you'd like =]

I will keep this is mind for the future as I plan on cloning.Take from lower branches or the top. Thanks!

Is one better than the other? I will probably use the tops once I start topping plants. This season was not the one to try any of that stuff as it's my first grow.

Still pretty small to be taking cuttings from.

Yeah it's a baby. I doubt I will take anything from as I don't want to slow it down. I was thinking about it because I would like a bigger harvest so figured more plants may be the better option as training etc cant happen this season as I started really late, like 3 - 4 months late. Plus they all had a rough start, I can explain if you'd like. I am feeling it is time to transplant it though because it fills the diameter of the pot. I am slow to act on that because I don't want to chance killing it from transplant shock(we also have a heat wave coming in about a week). I know it will get root bound at some point though, it's only in a 1 maybe 2 gallon pot.

You won’t kill it by transplanting

Should I wait until after the heat wave or just do it?

They have been showing signs of heat stress(taco leaves mostly) and the bottom leaves seem to keep dying on all of them(that has slowed down on the biggest one). I am not sure what is causing that. People have said it could be the heat. They are growing slow(except this one that I took pics of) which people say heat can cause. But they had a really rough start so I kind of blame it partially on that and the heat. I haven't used any nutes except 1/2 oz of compost tea when they were about 2 - 3 inches tall because the dirt has the nutes in it. I was keeping them covered with plastic containers so the birds wouldn't eat them and then I put them in a greenhouse that was partial shade and very green light inside. I sent that POS back! But I am wondering if either of those could have effected how they are growing now.

Transplant before dark, it’ll be cooler, heat will cause them to taco but I’d need to see a good pic under natural light before I can a call.

They are outside so all the pictures are in natural light. I will transplant later tonight or tomorrow. I will take some pictures later if they taco today. Right now my question is if I should cut off the little growth right there around the stem and plant up to that first node(it's actually the diagonal growth) or cut that off to and plant up to the second node. I don't want to slow growth to much.CBD 7.26.JPG

I can post the full size image if that would be eaiser to see.

In those pics I see a lot of white stuff. Is that chunky perilite? Like pennywise said, transplanting will not harm your plant. It will only benefit it. More room for the roots equals larger plants and vigorous growth. I've had mine in 7gal growbags since they were about 7" tall. Transplant n let them do their thing.
If you don't get a grip on the heat you will develop many problems. I never heard you mention anything about pH. You must manage your pH or the problems will multiply. There are many articles on pH. Research some. It is a major part of plant maintenance.
That green light in that cheap greenhouse was fine. They get plenty of light. That green tint is basically just a mild shade cloth that helps lower heat. Hell, I just ordered a black shade cloth for mine that blocks 30%. Some go much higher and still get great growth. That fire ball in the sky is pretty powerful.
I opt to train plants down verses decapitation of the top (which seems to be a common practice here). To me that halts the plant growth for a few days till it can recover from the stress. Bending a plant over actually produces more new growth than topping and no slow down in growth. That's just my way. Old growers I knew taught me to not top plants but different strokes for different folks.
Clones....hmmm. Read up on that. Then read more. There are many methods. I use flowering clones. They branch like crazy and are excellent for Scrog screens but again...that's just my methods.
Sounds like you need to read a lot more. Even with your late start there is still time to get some bud this fall. You'll do fine. This hobby can be overwhelming. We are basically just growing a weed though...lol. Try not to over evaluate things. It will take you a few cycles of growing to get into your groove. In the mean time note your mistakes and move forward. We will help you along the way. This community is awesome.

In those pics I see a lot of white stuff. Is that chunky perilite?

Yes, it's chunky peralite. I probably added to much but the company of the dirt didn't get back to me fast enough. Then told me it was secret, they thught I was asking for the recipe... They did say an additional 10% if I wanted. I added around 20 - 30% because like I said they answered me kind of slowly. This was timing on my part more than anything though.

Like pennywise said, transplanting will not harm your plant. It will only benefit it. More room for the roots equals larger plants and vigorous growth. I've had mine in 7gal growbags since they were about 7" tall. Transplant n let them do their thing.

Yeah next season I am going to either just put the seed in it's final pot or only transplant once. I haven't decided. I honestly have no clue why I went to small on this pot... I have bigger ones. I think it was from not being sure if it was going to make it and I got lazy about mixing the dirt so I put it in a smaller pot. Lesson learned there =]

If you don't get a grip on the heat you will develop many problems. I never heard you mention anything about pH. You must manage your pH or the problems will multiply. There are many articles on pH. Research some. It is a major part of plant maintenance.

I can't do much about the heat as the plants are outside. I guess I could get a shade cloth or something but I only have three plants. I will probably just stick to moving to the shade when they show signs of heat stress. I think only two are going to make it. One already died. The other two are growig mighty slow and one of them looks like it may die too.

pH wise I need to find a good way to test it. I have one fo those cheap moiture,light, pH testers with the probes but I doubt it's as accurate as I would like it to be for pH. I know ideal pH is 6.3 - 6.8 or at least that is what I have found when I research it. I have seen some as low as 5.5 - 5.8.

That green light in that cheap greenhouse was fine. They get plenty of light. That green tint is basically just a mild shade cloth that helps lower heat. Hell, I just ordered a black shade cloth for mine that blocks 30%. Some go much higher and still get great growth. That fire ball in the sky is pretty powerful.

I will be purchasing a tent in the near(ish) future. I have the light and have decided on a tent. My plan is to veg inside and put them outside to flower. I will also be flowering in the tent as it's a full cycle light. I live in Cali so I can easily grow outside. Plus I want to do comparisons and I want to cross some genetics so I will be getting regular seeds which will pop some males and those are going outside with some females so I can get... I guess they are called F1...

I opt to train plants down verses decapitation of the top (which seems to be a common practice here). To me that halts the plant growth for a few days till it can recover from the stress. Bending a plant over actually produces more new growth than topping and no slow down in growth. That's just my way. Old growers I knew taught me to not top plants but different strokes for different folks.

I will def be doing LST(tying plants down). I was thinking of topping because it sounds like you get two colas or four if you FIM though you may get more depending on the FIM. I probably won't try FIM unless I have many plants and I am not afraid of messing it up. I need to read up about quadlining BUT there is no question that I will be tying my bitches up, they seem to like it. I probably won't have more than 2 - 4 plants going at any one time as I want to be able to pay attention to them and with more it'll be harder.

Clones....hmmm. Read up on that. Then read more. There are many methods. I use flowering clones. They branch like crazy and are excellent for Scrog screens but again...that's just my methods. Sounds like you need to read a lot more.

I am just trying to figure out if the top or the branches are better for that purpose. I assume by flowering clones you mean you take a cutting from a plant that is in flower, root it and grow it out. I will either be building or buying a ScroG net for the tent. Maybe two for better support as the colas grow. The's is definitly more reading about this topic as a whole I need to do.

Even with your late start there is still time to get some bud this fall. You'll do fine.

If it's not ready for the chop when the weather changes I will have a tent and a light ready. Hopefully changing from sunlight to LED won't freak it out. Thanks for the encouragement I need it.

This hobby can be overwhelming. We are basically just growing a weed though...lol. Try not to over evaluate things.

I over evaluate EVERYTHING. My wife actually bought me a shirt that says hold on let me over think this. Growing this plant is exactly that - a hobby. I needed to find a hobby I would stick with and would boost my self confidence/esteem with time. The free weed is a bonus!

It will take you a few cycles of growing to get into your groove. In the mean time note your mistakes and move forward.

I have been taking notes of my mistakes. Don't transplant so late is the biggest one in this grow I think. Also, use smaller containers as it will help the transplant task on the human side. I almost killed my plant - the dirt broke apart because there wasn't any roots that far out and the plant turned sideways. I thought for sure I killed it. So I took a deep breath and told myself I had to try anyways and it's the biggest one I have now.

We will help you along the way. This community is awesome.

This community is for sure awesome. Nothing but helpful.

Transplant before dark, it’ll be cooler, heat will cause them to taco but I’d need to see a good pic under natural light before I can a call.

Possible heat stress. The one on top is is the more recent one. The one under it is from two hours ago. It seems to handle the heat better after some water. It's been around 3 - 5 days sense I watered it. Before I watered it the leaves were very dramatically taco-ing.
P1030437.JPG

P1030420.JPG

Back
Top Bottom