Twisted growth

the sulfur is ok and may help. the avid could make you sick if you use it in flower.

most will add wetable sulfur to the soil, it works best in tandem with a sulfur burner, but a burner can't be used indoor. russets attack from inside the plant, so foliars and sprays won't do dick. you have to poison them from the inside out.

russets spend the majority of their life cycle inside the plant. they only are on the surface at the very end. at that point they've already made the next generation. that is why they are so hard to get rid of once they take over.

most times russets will only be on the surface once they are too crowded inside the plant.

Every single top all the way down to the bottom of them are destroyed. I guess i have to just wait for new growth coming, and hope the insecticide taking care of the infected areas
do yourself a favour and kill that fucking plant.

hence my suggestion to use poison. Save the crop and kill them now... and then after the grow is over, go after them again, with flamethrowers.
Btw the use of poison. In my research i found this, and it sounds like abamectin/avid could be a insecticide which could get russets under controle for now..

""Abamectin paralyzes pests by interrupting the nervous system of targeted insects. This causes the insects to stop feeding, eventually starving themselves to death. Abamectin is slow-acting, allowing for pests to carry the active ingredient back to their colony""

I think this application of abamectin should be my last one, and maybe instead spray them down with sulphur? Or would predatory bugs be a better more effective choice ? I guess i cant really use sulphur later in flower anyway?

@Fredthesmoker doesn't understand a drastic approach now can save a few years of pain. he may never be done with them ever under the current approach.
I cannot burn down my plants now, and whenever i will get russet again, burn it again. Who knows if one of my neighbours are having major mite infestation, should i go burn down his plants too, because they are threat to my garden aswell?

I guess all of us are having the chance of getting mites. And IPM and everyday inspection of plants should be something every serious grower should do

One thing i starting to consider. - I see no mites, but EVERY single shot on the plant are destroyed. It happened almost "over night". I see many examples ln google, showing big patches of russets visible for the naked eye.
Considered the amount of damage done to the plants, there should be some kind of mite showing, at least with a microscope (unless there actually are different variants of russets, which actually ARE hiding inside the plant tissue)

But the fact i've been growing for three straight years, and i have never got any pest. - except for one month ago i got these thrips. Why should i suddenly get russets, really almost the same time? I didnt take in any cutting. I dont own any plants except my marihuana..

Would it be crazy to say, that it could be some kind of virus brought in by the thrips?
You’re not going to see russet/hemp mites with your naked eye or even a loop, you’ll need a microscope! Google russet mites, you’ll learn how to identify them. From the looks of your plant, you’ve got them. There are treatments, but it’s a pitched battle, at best. Control is achievable, eradication is tougher. Your biggest challenge will be cleaning up the tent/ tools etc. Me personally, once the grow is completed, I’d dump the soil, wash the bags in hot water, then put all your tools and the clean pots in the tent and spray the crap out of it with pyrethrum (three time in two weeks) or set off a bug bomb or two.

I cannot burn down my plants now, and whenever i will get russet again, burn it again. Who knows if one of my neighbours are having major mite infestation, should i go burn down his plants too, because they are threat to my garden aswell?

once you have them, you'll almost always have a few. even grows that never see an issue with them can have some. it's why they are so dangerous.

it's when they go critical that all hell breaks loose. most likely you won't have to kill the plants, they'll do it for you.

they almost never reach critical before flower, and that point it is far too late. you won't have to worry about harvesting the bud. there won't be any.

literally everything that can't make finish now should be killed. all the grow media should be disposed of. all the grow spaces should be cleaned and disinfected.

abemectin won't kill them. avid stands a chance, but only early on in veg. it won't do it in flower. both abemectin and avid are toxic to humans, which can increase with heat when you smoke it.

you've been super lucky so far. take what you have now, kill the rest, and cut your losses. you can't fuck around with this, you won't win.

edit : if you have carpet in the home they will stay dormant in it until an opportunity to infect again. the last grower i knew with russets had them 2 yrs, lost every single grow, and didn't get a handle on them until he steam cleaned the carpets out, along with other preventative measures.

two -spotted mites also do the same. both mites can survive in the vacuum of space, and will reanimate once they have oxygen.

I guess all of us are having the chance of getting mites. And IPM and everyday inspection of plants should be something every serious grower should do

if you don't take the right decisions, you'll be the one fucking up other growers. don't visit any other growers you know in person. it's a very common way stuff gets around. my best friend is dealing with two-spotted mites because of some idiot he had over right now.

from this point forward i would use preventative measures right from seed, all the way through flower, on every single grow. at least for the next couple years. that is only way to control them.

once you have them, you'll almost always have a few. even grows that never see an issue with them can have some. it's why they are so dangerous.

it's when they go critical that all hell breaks loose. most likely you won't have to kill the plants, they'll do it for you.

they almost never reach critical before flower, and that point it is far too late. you won't have to worry about harvesting the bud. there won't be any.

literally everything that can't make finish now should be killed. all the grow media should be disposed of. all the grow spaces should be cleaned and disinfected.

abemectin won't kill them. avid stands a chance, but only early on in veg. it won't do it in flower. both abemectin and avid are toxic to humans, which can increase with heat when you smoke it.

you've been super lucky so far. take what you have now, kill the rest, and cut your losses. you can't fuck around with this, you won't win.

edit : if you have carpet in the home they will stay dormant in it until an opportunity to infect again. the last grower i knew with russets had them 2 yrs, lost every single grow, and didn't get a handle on them until he steam cleaned the carpets out, along with other preventative measures.

two -spotted mites also do the same. both mites can survive in the vacuum of space, and will reanimate once they have oxygen.

if you don't take the right decisions, you'll be the one fucking up other growers. don't visit any other growers you know in person. it's a very common way stuff gets around. my best friend is dealing with two-spotted mites because of some idiot he had over right now.

from this point forward i would use preventative measures right from seed, all the way through flower, on every single grow. at least for the next couple years. that is only way to control them.
Yep - got screwed by mites just by wearing the same clothes in the greenhouse, then grow room
After two years of garlic/cayenne sprays, neem, paint and fark knows what else, I gave up and lit a bonfire in there, just for the satisfaction

the sulfur is ok and may help. the avid could make you sick if you use it in flower.

most will add wetable sulfur to the soil, it works best in tandem with a sulfur burner, but a burner can't be used indoor. russets attack from inside the plant, so foliars and sprays won't do dick. you have to poison them from the inside out.

russets spend the majority of their life cycle inside the plant. they only are on the surface at the very end. at that point they've already made the next generation. that is why they are so hard to get rid of once they take over.

most times russets will only be on the surface once they are too crowded inside the plant.
What about if he used @Sierra Natural Science 209 Systemic Pest Control? The plants absorb the rosemary acid and the pests are no longer able to feed. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

What about if he used @Sierra Natural Science 209 Systemic Pest Control? The plants absorb the rosemary acid and the pests are no longer able to feed. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

it doesn't matter. the battle is already over. you have to catch them far earlier than what we see here. that's the issue with russets. it's either no worries or hell. there is nothing in between.

i'd fight spider mites a million times over to avoid russets.

you can use SMS and the like as a preventative. but that's for the next grow. it's too late to help for this one.

Salicylic acid and @Sierra Natural Science 209. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

it doesn't matter. the battle is already over. you have to catch them far earlier than what we see here. that's the issue with russets. it's either no worries or hell. there is nothing in between.

i'd fight spider mites a million times over to avoid russets.

you can use SMS and the like as a preventative. but that's for the next grow. it's too late to help for this one.
Just to be sure. Would it be possible to save these small ones, if i choosed to threw out the toasted ones, sterilized all three tents, floors, equipment?

Screenshot_20230713_084600_Gallery.jpg

Sounds good with a positive story with russets.. I will do something similar with spraying like a maniac. I just cant get them outside, and im going for a try with avid and sulfur, and neem for the small seedlings. I guess sulfur and insecticides can be too strong for small seedlings ?
I never said that I had Russet or Hemp Mites, just that my plants looked similar to yours and that when I looked at some of the professional growing and agricultural web sites on-line the Russet/Hemp problem also looked similar.

Then I tried several common methods of solving insect and/or mold problems. I tested the water several times over a few days. I transplanted several plants into fresh virgin soil mix to see if that made any difference. Finally decided to just do a major spray program. The plants grew out of whatever had been happening and we moved on with the usual battle with Spider Mites or Powdery Mildew happening every now and then.

Mentioned what I did to help give you ideas of what you could try. It worked and I figure it was not a Hemp or Russett Mite problem but something else.

I just cant get them outside, and im going for a try with avid and sulfur, and neem for the small seedlings. I guess sulfur and insecticides can be too strong for small seedlings ?
Being able to put the plants outside is not always an option for everyone.

I spray my cuttings while I am waiting for them to grow roots. Up to you whether you want to spray your seedlings but keep in mind that whatever you do it will be best to treat everything. Leaving seedlings untreated is a way to allow whatever the problem is to come back.

If you spray with anything oil based, like Neem Seed Oil, then it is best to wait 2 to 3 weeks before spraying with sulfur. There are warning against doing the two sprays together or even within a couple of weeks of each other because the plant will not react right and problems start to show up. It is a "sometimes" thing and you might be able to do it without a problem the first time or two and then have a bad reaction the next time.

Also, sulfur sprays seem to cause the stigma/pistils to turn brown and the buds to look a bit stressed. You are on your own if you spray Sulfur on the flowering plants.

No, they can infect lots of different garden plants!
Thanks for the info, I’m gonna have to be diligent about questioning anyone that wants to gain entry into my domicile. As much time n money that I’ve invested into growing to have some nimrod visit and destroy everything would be unforgivable! CL🍀. :morenutes: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom