Ultrasonic Part III: Return of the SCROG

ultrasonic

Well Folks I figured that it was about time I start up my Journal Thread for my Third ever grow! It's in a new location and I have decided to return to my original first concept! Allow me to outline:

***I should note, this grow is in it's prep stage, and won't officially start for at least 2 more weeks***​

-DWC bubble bucket, 4 inch net pots: rockwool + hydroton

-4x White Widow clones - SCROG

-4x4 white grow tent

-1000w sunpulse 3k w/ lumatek in air cooled shade

-2x 450CFM 6' vortex

-co2 supplementation (1200-1500ppm)

-First round will most likely be with a 1200ppm max. of GH nutes. I hope to try AN for the next crop.

-dehumidifer will be used, but no air conditioner since i'll be growing in winter + with co2 and good reflector circulation: I hope to avoid heat issues this way

At this point I'm just waiting for my seeds to arrive. I've got a little bubble chamber all ready to go to start my mum: pics to come soon as I find my camera. Aside from that, my order from Attitude Seeds got raided by customs lol and all I received was my t-shirt :( I'm in contact with attitude though, and i'm hoping they'll send new ones out ASAP since I chose the guaranteed shipping.

Peace all and thanks to everyone who choses to follow along! This'll be the best grow yet, and i'm truly hoping to achieve realistically my 2lb goal.

:thanks: :ganjamon:

You mean I'm the first to climb aboard the bus? I'll just stretch out in the back and make myself comfortable.

G/L with your beans.

Damn customs lol. Are they bad up there in canadia or is that unusual?

I didnt see it listed but what seeds are you getting?

I usually sit in the back of the theater but the floor is sticky and there's popcorn all over the seats back there. :popcorn:

You mean I'm the first to climb aboard the bus? I'll just stretch out in the back and make myself comfortable.

G/L with your beans.

Why Thank you for joining the party :) I admit, this bus will be slow rolling at first, but as soon as my seeds arrive I'll be well on track. I'll be at my new location in just over 1 month. However i'm all set to have a mum started up right now.

Damn customs lol. Are they bad up there in canadia or is that unusual?

I didnt see it listed but what seeds are you getting?

I usually sit in the back of the theater but the floor is sticky and there's popcorn all over the seats back there. :popcorn:

Damn right damn customs! bastards. I've tried (and failed) to get seeds from worldwidemarijuanaseeds... once because of a customs seizure, and twice because they didn't label the package properly (no return address) so it was rejected by Canada Post. So my luck hasn't been so good: however i'm feeling better about this next order, from Attitude Seeds. They should be arriving sometime this week. See my seed list below.

Glad to have you here, sticky and popcorn laden, or not at all :)

Return of the Scrog indeed, Jaba the hut sized Scrog :bong:

SG

:blunt:

Well, i'll be getting single seeds: so 1 of each strain I list. What I will be doing is quite interesting, however not exactly experiential as it is done all the time in agriculture: however I don't see it so often in Marijuana cultivation: until recently.

For those interested in keep their plant count down, they can GRAFT several mother plants together. Allow me to explain: The stains I have chosen are White Widow, White Rhino, AMS, Church, TrainWreck, Blue Cheese, SoulTrain, Motavation.

What I will be doing is using the White Widow as my main plant (there are technical terms, but i'm not getting into that). I will then start to grow out, for example, the Blue Cheese. I'll take 1 or 2 or 3 cuttings from the blue cheese, and add them onto the Widow a special particular fashion (see GRAFTING on wikipedia). This will allow the cutting to actually GROW INTO it's supporting plant. The great thing about the technique is: You can easily add as many as 11 different strains onto 1 single plant (or even more... 11 is the most i've seen). So instead of having to feed, light, and maintain 11 different plants, you can do it all in one. EXCELLENT.

Can't wait to do this with the 8 strains I have listed above :) :tokin:

I think attitude will get them to yah no prob. I got some seeds and a T from them for free recently and it took about 1 1/2 weeks love that place lol.

Seems like you have my luck lol.
My first attempt at growing yielded 3 males my second attempt yielded 1 male & 2 hermies and the third was another hermie. This one pack of seeds has kept me busy and kept my wallet empty for about a year now with little to show. Im so done with this strain/breeder lol.

Luckilly like I said the freebies from attitude make up for it, well they will in time.

Of course all the freebies are sativa Dom so Ill still need a good Indica strain for the closet grow. I think I know what your recommendation will be.... WW?

Of course all the freebies are sativa Dom so Ill still need a good Indica strain for the closet grow. I think I know what your recommendation will be.... WW?

Hells yeah :) Easy to grow, great quality smoke.

On a progressive note, I'm happy to announce that my seeds have officially arrived!

IMG_12076.JPG

I went to the store and purchased some Miracle Grow Moisture Control, Perlite and Vermiculite and made up a healthy mix: it's nice and light and seems like it will drain very well. I used probably 3 parts soil, 2 parts perlite, 1 part vermiculite.

This mixture is intended to be a super easy way to maintain a single mum plant: the white widow. I chose the WW because it would be a hardy base (or "rootstock" as it's called in grafting) to graft the other stains onto. That way, I keep my plant count down, and I can maintain several strains off a single plant.

The little baby is germinating right now.

Can't wait till I've got a plant with 8 different strains on it :) and YES it IS possible to flower these plants, however studies have shown that this does NOT increase yield. (see above video)

In 1 month I will be in my new place, and I'll be all set to get the tent set up, and show you all some photos. By then I'll have a mother which is nearing sexual maturity, so I'll be all set for nice hearty clones.

Priority strains are WW, Blue Cheese, Trainwreck

:welcome:
:peace:

Looking good sir, nice freebies this month too!

SG

:grinjoint:

Hey Ultra - I'm on board :popcorn:

Love your choice of strains and I'll be very interested to see how TrainWreck works out for you.

Life is nuts right now so I'll mostly be lurking and sending positive vibrations your way.

:peace:

Usul man hope all is well with you my friend. Remember when we were going to start pretty much the same grow at the same time? Laugh, now when you finish your grow I start mine up: almost to the day.

I would be more than pleased if you came back every now and then to provide some valued input. I am, after all, a soil noob. Peace brotha

Well here are some shots of the stealth cab I threw together for my mother plant! It looks rough, but as you can see temps are pretty spot on, along with humidity. I noticed this morning that the seed cracked open, (my first time used these greenhouse coated seeds: supposed to be coated with a powder that is anti-fungal and a growth stimulator) so since I could see the direction of the tap root, I planted it in the wet dirt, taproot down. At least this way the powder coating will be in the soil, not on the paper towel. Shrug.

this really is my first time attempting a proper soil grow: even tho these will be sloooow growing mums, I want to be sure the rootzone is happy and healthy: It will eventually house several strains. I chose the mg soil, and enhanced it's drainage and water retention with vermiculite and perlite.

I poured in probably a gallon of water, and only about a quarter of that came out through the bottom... at least thats how it was last time I checked... *runs downstairs* Yep it's all good. All seems normal with that: the soil doesn't seem to be holding too much water... but I guess that's something I'll be figuring out very quickly. Damn as a hydro man I just get confused with "too much water".... laugh! :)

Now this mg soil is supposed to have time released ferts: I have no plans of adding any nutrients for at least a few months.. it sez it'll cover 6 months. I don't want this thing to grow big at all: it just doesn't need to be. It's in a smallish container right now for stealth purposes. Once I move and the plant gets larger, i'll simply trim down the roots and move it to a better container where it can stand up in a closet.

oh, and, that light is one of them 48w bulbs.. not the 24w used in table lamps or the even smaller 14w's used in ceiling fans, etc. so lotsa light despite the dark green walls :) only 1 more month, so it' doesn't matter... why spend the cash, ya know.

IMG_07198.JPG

IMG_07235.JPG

IMG_07228.JPG

IMG_07168.JPG

peace out all :grinjoint:

I can confirm that the WW seed is good! I did a gentle dig into the soil -- she's sprouting with vigor!

I'm going to be starting 1-2 more strains (prolly the trainwreck and blue cheese) on September 1. This way I'll be able to take clones, and then graft them onto the WW.

Can't wait to smoke these strains :) More of an update in a week or two: when something breaks ground, and maybe has some leafage :p

Like the ghetto setup lol. :welldone: very stealth.

I tried the MG soil and had little luck but if you can get them past seedling stage youll be good its just that the soil is a bit to hot for seedlings and it killed many of mine. probly didnt help that I was a noob and used straight tap water either...

Like the ghetto setup lol. :welldone: very stealth.

I tried the MG soil and had little luck but if you can get them past seedling stage youll be good its just that the soil is a bit to hot for seedlings and it killed many of mine. probly didnt help that I was a noob and used straight tap water either...

Thanks ;) Interesting info: I have considered the "hotness" of the soil myself. I tried to remedy this by adding a good amount of perlite and vermiculite. Originally, I planned start in a jiffy cube: I'm sure this would have helped.

It's a good thing I chose the WW to start: she's a hardy strain: very resistant to high nutes. And yeah, not using tap water here :p ... Running Reverse Osmosis.

Hope you stick around for the Grafting :) Ever see WW, Blue Cheese, and Trainwreck all on the same plant? Hahaha :ganjamon: And that'll just be the start of it :)

I can see the seedling poking out, and i'm trying to bury it slowly to help develop nice roots: a technique used to increase the yield of potatoes, so it should increase the root mass, giving it a hearty start.

:ganjamon:

In reference to the above post, I gave the soil a pretty good flush with 12L of water. I think the seedling is growing a little slow, and is pretty dark green... both signs of high nutrient concentration. No signs of burning: however I know WW is a resilient strain, and will slow it growth before showing signs of overfeeding on it's leaves.

The flush should help quite a bit. 3 more weeks until I'm in my new place, so lots of time. This baby has to grow out and mature, so that'll take some time. I may just take some immature clones, and veg them a little longer to compensate... and hope that'll work :p

You'll get some photos in a week when it's doing something moderately interesting.

Choo Choo ChughaChughaChugha Choo Choo!

Moving right along! 2 weeks and a couple days until NEW GROW SPACE :)

Come on mum get growin!

IMG_07336.JPG

I can see the seedling poking out, and i'm trying to bury it slowly to help develop nice roots: a technique used to increase the yield of potatoes, so it should increase the root mass, giving it a hearty start.

That's done because potatoes aren't a root crop - they're tubers. What people are doing is burying the stems of the plants so that every time they bury a layer of the stems, potatoes are produced there. It really has nothing to do with producing more roots. If you don't wish to "dig" your potatoes, you can make a cylinder of chicken wire or hardware "cloth" (wire) around the plant and when the plant grows out 12"-16", throw enough straw into the cylinder so that only about 6" of plant is sticking out. Keep doing that until harvest time and then you can just reach into the straw and pull out potatoes. You can do the same thing by growing potatoes in a large trash can.

But... Yeah, you can do that. Only think "tomatoes" instead of "potatoes." You can take a cannabis plant that is spindly with few nodes, strip off the lower ones, and bury it in the soil and it'll grow roots if the soil isn't wet enough that the stem rots first.

That's done because potatoes aren't a root crop - they're tubers. What people are doing is burying the stems of the plants so that every time they bury a layer of the stems, potatoes are produced there. It really has nothing to do with producing more roots. If you don't wish to "dig" your potatoes, you can make a cylinder of chicken wire or hardware "cloth" (wire) around the plant and when the plant grows out 12"-16", throw enough straw into the cylinder so that only about 6" of plant is sticking out. Keep doing that until harvest time and then you can just reach into the straw and pull out potatoes. You can do the same thing by growing potatoes in a large trash can.

But... Yeah, you can do that. Only think "tomatoes" instead of "potatoes." You can take a cannabis plant that is spindly with few nodes, strip off the lower ones, and bury it in the soil and it'll grow roots if the soil isn't wet enough that the stem rots first.

great advice! But yes I agree, it won't affect root growth much: however it alleviates the issue of having a rotting stem from a re-buried stalk.
An issue I've had with soil grown plants in the past is having the soil around the stalk get eroded away with each watering: this is really to help prevent that from happening, as well as producing as much "stalk" beneath ground as possible, creating a more solid root-mass.

I can't wait until I own a property and can do all these great things with ease :)

:morenutes:

As a quick update: the baby is growing at an accelerated rate every day! I've been "ignoring" it as I believe too much TLC has been hard on my plants in the past. Biggest thing is ensuring the drainage of the soil is proper: it takes no time at all for most of the water i pour in to come right out the bottom: perfect.

First ever grow = shitty potting soil that was sitting outside at the home reno store, mixed w/ way too little perlite = fungus gnats and dead seedlings. sigh.

not this time :) I'm keeping an eye on her, and not overfeeding: i'll be adding a pc fan soon to help develop a nice strong stalk.

Maybe I should've started a Grafting thread :eek:

Back
Top Bottom