Up, up and away!

TheSecretRoom

420 Member
OK..here we go! (very excited)
I'm a first time grower taking advantage of Michigan's recent legalization of recreational marijuana.
I've got five White Widows in 3 gallon fabric pots under a 600 watt HPS bulb on 12/12 and in the seventh week (from flip) of flower. As of now, I think everything is going OK*. I'm seeing all the milestones I should, from what I've read, expect - lots of red pistils, yellowing fan leaves etc. Sadly, I am going to have to harvest (6 days from now) before they are at peak due to leaving town for Christmas vacation and not wanting to have to train the house sitter on mixing nutes, pH'ing water, interpreting trichome color change and the like. Which ties to why I am on the forum to begin with AND introduces the biggest...issue(?) I've had since starting. I jumped on the interwebs looking for input on the idea of leaving the plants in full dark for 36 hours to stimulate/shock a last burst of trichomes/resin. As with just about every other topic I've researched, the information available is all over the map AND largely anecdotal. Some say they don't see the point, others that it absolutely provides benefits, and still others recommend the dark period should be from 48-72 hours...
As (rare) consensus ultimately seems to be experience is at least as important as science, I guess it's best that I juggle all the input and just test what seems most logical, but, honestly, it gets exhausting. BUT it's also one important reason for wanting to be on this and other forums - as legalization continues its march across the country and the conversations (and CLINICAL research) grow, I wanna be informed and maybe even helpful!

now for the * from above; I say "OK" even though people who have seen them think they look great. One of the reasons I chose the White Widow strain was high THC content. Found out later that the "White" in the name actually comes from the color of trichome covered leaves. While I see lots of general signs of success, I am definitely not seeing that...and it's no surprise, really, as I could list any number less than perfect conditions in my process. Again, this is my first grow and my first attempt at setting up an environment, so I'm not going to torture or kick myself, but I still have to acknowledge that "OK" is about what I should expect.

OK, that's it for now. If anyone has any advice on the pre-harvest dark period, let me know!
Also, if I have a question about a SPECIFIC brand of flush additive, am I allowed to ask here? If not, but if you still have opinions on additives meant to increase nutrient/salts elimination as part of the flush, please let me know as well.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 5plants.jpg
    5plants.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • 8 days out.jpg
    8 days out.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
Looks good

Most of us don't flush, it really dose nothing for tast and deprives her of food in her final days of important bud growth

For a salt flush, anytime,but if yer harvesting soon I wouldn't worry about it, not really beneficial at this point

Oh and I usually do a 24-48 hr dark time before cut,but not always

Just depends on my time, needs, lazyness..etc...lol

Welcome @TheSecretRoom nice growing! Isn't MI awesome? Free weed man! Of course my electric bill isn't quite thrilled about it, ok ok nothing is free. But its sure a blast! I don't flush or dark or light. I'm too busy tending to the next round! CHeers and gl to your grow! :yahoo:

Chris, thank you for the input. It sent me down another rabbit hole as, to this point, I'd only really heard from sources that said flushing was a requirement for clean smoking harvest. Found a couple of great articles asking what, why and where (the heck do you think you're "flushing" things to)? Also led me into yet another time sink looking for advice on going to 10/14 for the last week to try and coax the plant into speeding up for my forced early harvest. SO many voices, so much to learn! Thinking now I will forgo flush and then give the girls 36 hours of total darkness before cutting...I will post pics of the harvest.
Thanks again for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom