420 Magazine Background

Variac for inline fan?

Weezze

Hi! I bought a new fan a few weeks ago, Panasonic FV-20NLF1 WhisperLine 240 CFM.
It's very quiet, but I have put a speed controler on it because it blow too much for my little tent! :laugh:
But with it I have the "hum" noise from the fan.

I've read that a Variac would make no noise, but I read elsewhere that it should not be use for a fan!

Does someone actually use a variac with an inline fan here?

I'm looking for this one.

s-l500.jpg

Specifications
- 20 amp max output
- 2000VA Variable Voltage Regulator
- Input voltage: 110VAC
- Output voltage: 0-130VAC 60Hz
- Analog Output Power Meter Included

Thanks! :)

Weezze

After checking more threads and other forums, I bought the variac this christmas.
I should have get it way earlier, this thing is fabulous!!! It make no sound! I set the voltage to 50v and the only thing I hear is the little wooch from the air, but only if I put my head against the exhaust of the inline fan!
When I close the door of the closet it's perfect! :)

IMG_20171227_111612.jpg

Dwight Monk

420 Support
420 Staff
I think it varies on the Fan/Company and what is in their manual, as one I have very specifically states not to run it with a speed control as it will void the warranty on it if you do. Guys at the Hydro Store I bought it at even asked that question (and some others) of if I was going to vary the speed before they recommended which ones they thought were best for me and the space I was growing in. So must be something in the design or motor where it not made to run at varying speeds.

Weezze

The biggest problem with speed controller (besides the humm noise), is that to slow down a fan it pulsate the power on and off, which is not good for the fan motor. And if set too low, the fan would shot down.

A few weeks before christmas I set it to low, at the time it was ok but after a while the fan stop and when I get back my condo was smelling a lot! :33:

Now with the variac, no more problems with that! :)

Weezze

Sorry I didn't check the forums for a while!
Right now I'm at 39v, and my 2x2x6 tent has a negative pressure! :) But I have only a seed inside! :laugh:
One thing to check is the pre-filter on the scrubber, it should be washed (or changed) each month so the air flow stay good.

Top Bottom