VI's - Subcool Based - 2 Worm - Multi-Strain - Mother Hunt - 2016

Well hello there.

I started writing up a huge update yesterday and haven't been able to finish. I have too much to do. Hopefully in a few days I can give the full update. Maybe tonight I can stay up late and do it.

purple_flower1.JPG

I've been reading your journal VI and this post has me thinking I should stop. I'm completely new to growing and my biggest worry here at home is getting my seeds hatched and a plant to break ground. I can't even begin pretending any of this genetics makes sense to me. Of course I'll read on feeling lost in space. All this information makes me feel stupid! hahahaha

NONONONONO! Never give up! VI has a lot more experience than you or me, and, even tho some of his hints are above our pay grade, they ARE ideas to store in your think tank.

What you do is try the ideas that make sense to you, and are within your budget. You don't need the fancy equipment or high-priced nutes, or the fancy soil. If you are willing to put in a bit of labor, you can mix your own soil and find nutes that are organic, safe, and formulated for the stage your plants are in. Keep It Simple!

Yeah the whole point of this journal is showing how to do it on the cheap. This method, with some minor modifications, would be great. The total cost after equipment is about the same as 1/4 of a normal run but you have enough supplies for many many runs. I am doing this run 100% from stuff I had laying around. So this is being done for free. I still have enough stuff (except maybe the EWC which is supper cheap) for many more grows.

All too often people get wrapped up in "ITS ALL ABOUT THE NUTES" when in fact almost nothing could be further from the truth. It is all about the roots.

I had root development at week 10 in 7 gallon pots at many people wouldn't have gotten in the whole grow.

VI's - Subcool Based - 2 Worm - Multi-Strain - Mother Hunt - 2016

(notice how much better the roots are down in the composted layer)

That makes for healthy supply source for bloom.

Anyway There are very easy ways to get started that don't require a complex compost and you can still do this very cheaply when doing it organically this way. My last grow was that way. There are tons of compost recipes and like close to 20 proven great ones for cannabis. The one I choose for this journal is just the most famous well known one and is basically text book. You go down the line adding raw ingredients for everything and let it sit for the right amount of time turning it once in a while. When it is ready you have hands free growing.

I used too small of pots and have been fighting a bit of under feeding recently. They recommend 10 gallon and I used 7 so I will have to finish this one with some good tea like my last grow. The last grow (that had the big plant in the beginning of this journal) did not use any homemade compost. It was done using the quick and simple cheater method. I did use some bottled nutes a few times for that but all of bloom for the most part (I think once I feed something from the bottle) was tea. I regreted everytime I used botteled stuff except Advance Nutrients Nirvana which is organic magic. So as long as you set up for bloom well you can get through that on EWC no problem. And getting through the Veg stage can be done super simple without much nutes with a half decent soil blend.

People need to focus on the plant and the temps and the air flow not the nutes. Let the microbes fix everything in the soil for you like they do in the wild.

The whole trick to indoor growing is to trick the plant into thinking it is being grown outside in the garden of Eden. In the wild the the soil is totally alive and the plants expect this and like this. So if you do that and give them a soil that looks similar to the real world that is a big step in the right direction.

Technically your soil is alive whether you like it or not... the question is who is populating it.

All too often people get wrapped up in "ITS ALL ABOUT THE NUTES" when in fact almost nothing could be further from the truth. It is all about the roots.
VI's - Subcool Based - 2 Worm - Multi-Strain - Mother Hunt - 2016 (notice how much better the roots are down in the composted layer)
That makes for healthy supply source for bloom.
Technically your soil is alive whether you like it or not... the question is who is populating it.

Well put VI. I am all about doin it on the cheap! Good soil supplemented with worm castings, guano, and any other organic additives that will benefit the soil, lots of sunlight, and water...pretty much a no muss, no fuss garden with all natural pest control (Rosemary, Oregano, lady bugs, praying mantis) if possible.

So I have been complaining about the pots being too small. So I top feed some EWC a while back. I was just digging some compost out to put in a tea and it dawned on me I should top dress with the compost rather than throw out all that great black soil.

So I did that and found 2 worms in my compost still kicking. :high-five:

So I should have tea ready in a few days. Hopefully it isn't too much but the plants are mostly exploding. So I an see them drinking it up if I get the humidity up there.

I tried again to do my big update and hit the wrong button and lost it. Man it sure is nice to be able to get high again.

VI: Question for you. How big did your ladies get in the fabric posts? I need to readjust my shelving units if I'm going to grow in a 5 - 10 gallon pot. I'm ready to take the plunge, now that my two adults are under 12/12 and all I have left are clones and a juvenile.

I've been reading your journal VI and this post has me thinking I should stop. I'm completely new to growing and my biggest worry here at home is getting my seeds hatched and a plant to break ground. I can't even begin pretending any of this genetics makes sense to me. Of course I'll read on feeling lost in space. All this information makes me feel stupid! hahahaha

Bah don't feel that way. Taking one or two things from a journal sub is excellent. There is no perfect way to do it just as long as you give the plant the right environment and food they will thrive. VI just has tons of experience and tested alot as you can tell..... So take what you can from it.. read up constantly on the process and more and more of it starts to make sense... All of us get confused alot on stuff as when you start talking genetic tree's it's a mess for most of us... The more he talks about stuff like that though. each time I seem to get it a little better.. understand more... VI has streamlined what the plants need to thrive. Great thread on giving what they want on the cheap! A year ago when I started it was confusing to me. Still is really. But if I had been following the informational threads like VI's I would have had better success earlier...

Just understand what you can and skip over what may not pertain to what you are doing...

:peace:

FE

@ AKG

Hmmm....I find that at 5 gallons I can string along a plant to just about any size indoors as long as I watch and feed. 5 gallons pot size allows for enough root mass to get through a few issues and still be healthy enough to provide enough for good flowers. Basically at 5 and a bit of knowledge about nutes and watering you can't fail. But I never tried a big SCROG on a 5 gallon. I have had back in the day full sized plants from a 5 gallon using my standard cheater way. Like a good 4 foot tall bush.

I think that you can start with 5 as that for sure works. Then see if you need to add too much near the end... then you can up it next time if need be. It all depends on the type of plants and grow time. Clones have smaller root masses. So like you saw I grew a bunch of them out 1 week in veg and then bloomed them. So they are going to have 3-5 weeks of root growth before they are basically done and the max weight of the flowers is set.

I mean we all learn best by making mistakes. But in all honesty you may prefer a 10 gallon. If you water correctly so it dries out between it will not be too bad to lift if it is a properly 1/3 aerated soil. The real dealio is you can water WAY less frequently. It is likely 5 gallons is enough to maximize the potential in your grow space but just like hydro the more medium the easier it is to deal with...unless you want to flush. So if you got it dialed and are just adding water and rotating it once in a while 10 makes it slightly easier and will give you breathing room. I am running those clones in 3's so we shall see what happens.

Get a 5 a 7 and a 10 and run them side by side and see what ya think. Don't be afraid to test an idea...especially one that can't really go wrong. Thats how I learned so much was just doing it and seeing yup...those 2 survived and those 8 failed... LOL. I am an engineer and a tinkerer and have worked in advanced science most of my career so doing experiments on my grows was impossible to stop.

A 4-5 month Seed grow though is very different then a 3 month clone grow. Like seriously almost twice the nutrient requirements right so a 3 month grow needs a pot roughly half the size of a 6 month grow. So what works for a seed grown out for 8 months in a monster SCROG is different then a clone plant flowered 2 weeks into veg.

Seriously I can't count how many things I thought no way I would like that but I tried it just to prove it and I did like it. You may find you just like the easy of a 10 gallon pot. You know when they are dry they are not that heavy.

10 gallon recommendation is again a "typical" indoor plant ~4 foot tall 4 month from seed type dealio. You may end up with some fast grow Indica strain that eats very little and has different req. I see this all the time running 2 plants side by side in the same soil and they have very different responses as some use it up fast and others do not.

I think the key with that is understanding what you are seeing. I say all the time they are talking to you. If you are listening it is all very clear but you have to speak cannabis.

Anyway I have never grown what I would call a proper plant in less than a 5 gallon pot. Many cute ones...I don't think any of these clones of clones will hit any decent size. I mean well worth it but nothing special as far as a great plant.

I saw multiple issues with the pot size. I could tell the roots reached the compost too early as well and that is a big deal. You need them to hit it at the right time so the roots need X space to grow into before finding that. A healthy plant with fast growing roots like mine were get down there fast.

For me:
* Once they were to the compost they grew feverishly but slightly over feed.
* Then they ran out of nutes early.
* 2 males about 2 weeks into bloom I think with roots completely packed in that layer of the pot.

So if the pot had Like 1.5 gallons more standard soil to get into first and another 1.5 gallons of compost to get into then I think it does almost nail it.

Also I could tone down the compost a bit and tune in this pot size a bit better. I bet 7 is great for getting a clone to full size. Done correctly you can veg a clone easily 2 weeks less and in some cases a month less then a seed so that helps a lot. That is why I tried 3...just like trying 7 for seeds. You might get a decent SCROG on a 7 gallon out of a clone.

Alright So mid bloom recap. (here we go...some repeat, some new reflections). I am adding some things each time so when I do the final wrap I have less to do all at once. Let me know how I should change it for the next one. I wanted to try summarizing by week.

Recap notes: To start the grow I was using 2 known female clones from the last grow and 8 normal seeds. All of those were destined for 7 gallon pots even though Subcools method calls for 10. I must always confirm that I am an idiot. But in all seriousness I originally planned to bloom them as soon as I could take clones but plans changed. So I actually grew them longer then I was planning to and I probably should have stayed to the schedule and maybe added a few more clones instead. In general that is a basic rule that should not be broken. Don't ever mess with the schedule after setup. If you plan out a grow and pot a certain way it is usually bad to change your mind and try to extend it unless you really over planned or can up size the pot.

(All Nirvana seed stock)
2 beat to death Raspberry Cough Clones Forced to stay small and in veg for a few months waiting for this grow
2 White Widow
2 New York Power Diesel
2 AK48 (none of these ever surfaced)
2 Snow White

Meaningful Watering days will be noted as Clones in light blue and seeds or both in dark blue, and Tea days are green

Week 1:
Day 1: Seeds in cup of water for a few hours then placed in most soil

Start10.JPG

Day 4: Most of them surfaced.
Day 6: Added a little water to the sprouts : Clones are coming back under a decent light again.

Day 7
Day_720.JPG

Week 2:
Day 8: Watered Clones got pH'd to 6.5 solution about a gallon each with good run off. Included Sugaree, Silicate. Decided to relocate seeds not sprouting as I have seen some seeds prefer colder conditions.
Day 10: After changing the location a second NYPD sprout appeared

Day 11:
2_25babies.JPG

Day 14: all plants moved into tent

Week 3:
Day 15: Lightly watered sprouts ( they didn't need it but they looked odd)
Day155.JPG

Day 18: Watered sprouts with a bit of Orca. I did not want to be using tea that early. This is when I was root bound and didn't realize it. I was scratching my head to understand why babies would be showing so many different deficiencies all at once with good pH. I normally use bigger starts, like solo cups, and transplant after 1 solid week not 2.
Day 19: Up the sprouts to final containers. They were all still wet so I waited a day to water.
Day 20: Watered Seed plants with Cal / Mag, Sugaree, Heavy Silicate

starting_off.JPG

Week 4:
Day 24: All plants got tea. Seed plants got some extra water to drive in the tea a bit.
Day 27: Cloned the RC clones and watered them again.

3_131.JPG

Week 5:
Day 29: Seed plants are responding sting to Chitosan and showing nitrogen abundance issues. Nothing too bad but should have probably waited a week or 2 before the first tea. Showing 2 types of growth, Bushy or Stretched. One NYPD male plant flowered early under the stress. I topped all but 2 of the seed plants as those 2 were not ready yet.
Day 30: Finished topping seed plants
Day 34: Cloned WW1, Cloned RC and trained them
Day 35: Heavy watering of seed plant. Showing Nitrogen overdose from lack of water. A good watering and everything looked fine.

3_18_update.JPG

Week 6:
Day 36: More Training
Day 40: Watered clones with Silica, Cal / Mag, Sugaree
Day 41: Watered Seed plants with Silica, Cal / Mag, Sugaree
Day 42: Switched to 12 /12 lighting
Day_4211.JPG
all_in1.JPG

Week 7: (pulled both Snow White seed plants as they were male. Down to 1 NYPD and 1 WW female both with clones.)
Day 44: Watered all seed plants but watered the females much more. Just day old tap. About 1/2 gal each female and 1/4 the 2 males WW male trimmed back and watered heavily.

Decided to put in the clones I have ready and toss the rest.
Day49Update.JPG

Week 8:
Day 51: Medium watering with light runoff to seed plants, a little bit to the rest
Day 52: Removed male plant from tent to prevent exposure as there was only a few day left until pollination
Day 56: Watered moderately the bigger plants and lightly the rest
Day 57: Broke stem off Male plant with most pollen but it has way more in there then I will need.
Day 58: Little bit of water to male plant

Family22.JPG

Week 9:
Day 60: Very light watering
Day 61: Moved 2 NYPD clones into tent...couldn't salvage any others I had "thrown out"
Day62: Tea for all plants but the NYPD clones
Week9_Update.JPG

Week 10:
Day 65: Good watering to all with lots of runs off.
Day 68: Medium Watering

Wholething.JPG

Week 11:
Day 72: Top dress the 4 7 gallon plants with a small amout of worm castings, about 1/2 cup.
Day 73: Rearranged tall ones in a cornner and added a light for them so they don't get too hot under the HPS.
Day 75: Lightly water 3 gallon clones

Full10.JPG

Week 12:
Day 79: Watered everything. Had to lower HPS lighting to 750W for a few days to control temps better.
Day 81: top dressed all but the NYPD clones with compost I am about to throw out.
Day 83: Gave a good strong tea with very light chitosan

And here is where we stand today. (White Widow in the middle is really turning purplish red.)
DSCF26511.JPG

Some of the NYPD (far left). She stopped making seeds but has not really bloomed much further. I have a feeling I have a chance of getting her to restart bloom so keep fingers crossed.

purpeling.JPG

NYPD_FULL.JPG
NYPD_TIGHT.JPG

purple_flower1.JPG

NYPD_close21.JPG

White Widow

WW_and_Freinds.JPG

The tops just keep shooting off. I may have to back build these.

WWTops.JPG

RC originals: I gave one of them a bit more tea a while back. One is showing more white pistils still while the other seems to be maturing early and has redder leaves.

SIDEbySide_Sistas.JPG
8cupsRC.JPG
8_Cups_Side.JPG
4vs8side.JPG
4cupsRCSide2.JPG
4cupsRCSide1.JPG

The 2nd gen RC clone over by the LED

TallRC.JPG
DSCF25803.JPG

TallGirl.JPG

Another RC 2nd gen clone

3GRC3noglasses.JPG
3GRC3medium.JPG
3GRC3.JPG

Yeah at the end I will have a single post that shows everything you need I can link people to. It makes it a lot easier to roll it up as you go then to write it all up at once. But I wanted in the end for this journal to have a step by step post at the end.

Man, caught up in one page. You the man VI. Those RC clone's look very much like GSC, last year's version, not the new crosses. Beautiful. Other plants are monsters, those back built look thai like with long yellow sativa leaves and corn shaped cola. Looks great.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

More then half that tent is clones taken off plants in that tent.

One of the goals I wanted to show (especially for gramma with her small grow) is that you can take you trimmings from thinning out and back fill your dead space. You may not get something great...but better then nothing. If you are not SCROGing to get full use of the space then a few clones taken when trying the clear underbrush mid veg can be thrown in a few weeks into bloom. They may extend your bloom a week or 2 but you wont waste any space. If you are real smart you start your clones early enough that they all go in about the same time.

But maybe almost half this current grow by weight will have been all just made up mid veg.

Take for example the standard 4-5 node topping. Go to 7 and pull off the bottom 4 to 6 arms and you can easily fill a 5x5 space on 1 femed seed. But you gotta take a few extra weeks to double or triple your weight. It is worth it if you are seed constrained. Nirvana sells them for 3$ a feed so I am willing to take the first gen hit. If it we 100 bucks a seed it would be amazing to see what I would do to extend the life of one.

All of that goes out the window if you use a big pot and train or especially SCROG. Then you are still using the same branch and as long as you feed it that is the fastest way to build it out but I know a SCROG is not doable for some. Some people need to deal with small pots and small plants.

:peace:

Well I just wanted to show one thing and I took a bunch of pics anyway so here goes... I started taking pics using my HPS shades for getting a better color contrast and just couldn't stop..this aint the half of them.

Also just FYI I previously posted that I top dressed (about 1/2 inch the whole pot) with the compost. Then I poured a bunch of tea through it and watered a few days later. And these are the pics now. All plants show good new growth.

First off to show what I meant previously... here is a pic with a line drawn. The 4 plants I started this grow with are on the left and everything on the right has somehow magically appeared during the middle of this grow at some point. I I had not cloned those they would be smaller arms sharing resources over there on the other side of the line. Imagine what happens when you go full clone and a mother.

Clones159.JPG

Also those green ones come from the red ones in the same environment. This is showing that autumn color change I am always ranting about.

Well now starting with my dog the NYPD is coming along. I found out just now why she is dragging ass. I found a seed in her so she is about done with that and going to come back now. I have my fingers crossed. I have done this before!
Frosty_Arm1.JPG
Frosty_Arm2.JPG

Going deep purple on me

NYPDpurps.JPG

As contrast here it is next to an RC that hasn't started turning red yet but is close.

[
NYPDcntrast.JPG

I went ahead and topped the tallest on the WW but she is coming along nicely. Like I said getting real red for a white.

(You can see better now the difference in the back between the 2 plants clones that got different Chitosan tea treatments.)
WWandFreinds.JPG

WWclose.JPG

WWFlowerclose.JPG

Here is that prudy girl from the other day. The pink leaf on the bottom looks amazing in real life as it is at that perfect autumn transition...
Purdy_Girl.JPG
Purdy_Girl_HPS.JPG

I hope you can see this like I do...I think I can't represent it well.
Rosyleaf.JPG

It is had to tell without zooming in the real color

Close_upRosyleaf.JPG

Anyway there ya have it. Not 2 bad for not using ferts yet and not having done this type of grow before. Also only having used all this equipment just once before. I guess it is like riding a bike. I might have a future in this.

FullFrontal2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom