Vortex's Lab: 4x4 Secondary Garden & Experimental Thread

Not much to update on the Blue. It was a nice ride, and I enjoyed it. She'll be just fine me thinks. :cheesygrinsmiley:

How is the Burp Bucket working for you? Super interested in building my own I hate burping jars!

How is the Burp Bucket working for you? Super interested in building my own I hate burping jars!

It’s working well! First thing though, get the real gamma seal lids, or use gallon jars, or something. I got knock-off lids from Home Depot and they are complete shit.

Now for operation itself? It’s killer. It took about 36hrs for the internal RH to break 65%. Once it did, I kicked on the timer. It runs for 15min in the morning, and 3min in the evening.

I’m using a remote hygrometer to measure the bucket temp/RH, and it's working good. Put the buds inside a paint strainer so it will be easy to get in/out.

I’m definitely loving it. Much relief for the upcoming haul from the RDWC. :rofl:

Speaking of relief, the tumbler arrived today. Got it put together, and now it's sitting in wait for the next run to chop. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I’m excited myself, on several fronts.

The auto-burp is one.

The second is the tumbler. I’ve almost convinced someone who is chopping in the next week to give it a whirl. It may or may not happen, so might be a few weeks on that one.

The third is the Super Lemon Haze. The guy that helped me trim her had the scissor hash and loved it. It’s going to be a long 6 week wait for that.

Finally is the dutch bucket run. As well as the GDP came around with it, and under a blurple, I think this next run could do really well. I’ll be able to spread each plant into a 2x2 area of its own, so while there won’t be a monster in the middle, the rest should hopefully make up for it by having more space.

IMG_3950.jpeg

Still need to measure the diameter of the drum so I can add a divider. Other than that it's just waiting for the time to put it to good use. :laugh:

Maybe within a couple weeks. The RDWC enters the "harvest watch" window on Monday, so we'll see.

Lab is getting an upgrade. I've decided to move one of the 250w @Budget LED fixtures to the Dev Lab, and replace the one here with a new 250w Series 3+ R spec.

I thought about just picking up another cheap(er) blurple to match what is in the 3x3 now, but decided to just bite the bullet and do it right from the start. So I'll be packing up the emergency light and moving over one of the fixtures later this afternoon. An upgrade all around, and back to having an available "in case of emergency" light.

62DA7412-33BB-4DC5-B745-DC7E34185860.jpeg

Drain line(s) completed. Without building tables (2 per bucket), this is what I've come up with. Once built I'll do a full "tour", but so far here we are.

Not quite how I wanted to roll, but sometimes you have to roll with the punches. I've used milk crates, and secured the drain line to them in a few spots.

I wasn't planning on using bulkheads, but the first bucket I drilled came out just a hair big. Changed to the next size down, and it was too tight. A quick run of the deburring tool, and it grabbed a chunk. After that, I said fuck it and used bulkheads on the other two.

However, that's where things got fun. The bulkheads I had for the 3 remaining buckets were threaded, not slip. Thankfully I also had elbows that were male thread, female slip. So that's the jog you see on the top right, and two bottom buckets.

I also have them on a riser, sitting in a saucer. This is another precaution, just in case of a drip or something.

The supply line is in progress, and so far it's made it from the pump and into the tent. I should be able to finish that off this evening, and maybe get the saucers/risers washed up.

At that point, I guess it will be time to rinse 12gal worth of perlite. :rolleyes: ( :rofl: )

Good luck, it’ll be a good system when you’re done.

Thank you. I think it will work out pretty well. Won't be the prettiest girl at the ball, but she'll rock socks. :D

All the plumbing is done. Will start washing perlite tomorrow I guess.

That wasn’t bad then.

Nah, it wasn't terrible. Just finding the time to be able to sit and get it done was a chore. It's all good though. I think the auto's will do really well in this setup.

So it's bean dropping time!

Question is, what should get the drop?

Here are the auto seeds I have on hand:

(3) Super Lemon Haze
(3) Blue Dream
(3) Green Crack
(3) Mx Airlines
(3) Six Shooter

(2) Cream Cookies
(2) Durban Poison
(2) Night Queen
(2) Orange Bud

The first group (of which I have 3 of each left) were in the last run. The bottom 4 are ones I picked up with the next run in mind. Now I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to run the Durban and Cream Cookies. I've typically been a bit gunshy with dropping seeds, and tend to drop 2 for each plant I want to grow.

What I've considered is dropping both seeds of the Orange Bud and Night Queen, and if need be I can drop another seed if something doesn't pop.

I've also considered running another round of the Mx Airlines and maybe another Green Crack.

Or maybe I should just shut up and stick to my original plan. :rofl:

Doing a pre-run sterile cleaning on the seedling dome setup, so guess I better get on with making up my mind! :laugh:

I like the Orange Bud myself

I haven’t had it yet, but it’s been on my short list. Orange and Night Queen are definitely getting run.

Not sure if I want to go with 2 of each or just run what I’d planned.

Back
Top Bottom