What is the best guano that money can buy?

Chicken poop, they eat everything. Use too much and you'll get nute burn. :oops:
Almost everything. The flock in the coop at our daughter's place will not eat citrus fruit or the peels from citrus fruit. They are also a bit fussy about some squash and have preferences. Some of the larges squash, mostly gourds, ends up sitting there for days after they have taken the seeds.

Yes, some chicken manure can be 'hot' even after being composted.

This has turned into an interesting question. Is there any reason why the source of Phosphorous has to be a guano?

Or is it curiosity or maybe something you are going to try on a few plants to see what difference it makes by the end of the season.
The reason I want the source of phosphorous to be guano is because of the micro nutrients in it like sulfur, calcium, magnesium, chloride, boron, molybdenum iron, manganese, zinc and copper.

The important thing is to put the right amount of the fert in the soil, and burn or no burn is directly related to the amount of the N, P, or K contained in the fert.

One consideration with all ferts is heavy metals (lead, arsenic, etc.), because these will wind up in the resin of your flowers. If you are producing extract, then it winds up in the extract. I haven't determined yet if heavy metals are an issue for smoking or vaping, but I'm guessing it can't be good. Cannabis is very good at sucking impurities out of the soil. For the Down to Earth ferts, you can contact them directly and they'll send you their testing reports for heavy metals. There are some online databases as well, such as this one from California: CDFA Fertilizer Product Database , where you can look up a product by manufacturer, type of fert, or product name.

The important thing is to put the right amount of the fert in the soil, and burn or no burn is directly related to the amount of the N, P, or K contained in the fert.

One consideration with all ferts is heavy metals (lead, arsenic, etc.), because these will wind up in the resin of your flowers. If you are producing extract, then it winds up in the extract. I haven't determined yet if heavy metals are an issue for smoking or vaping, but I'm guessing it can't be good. Cannabis is very good at sucking impurities out of the soil. For the Down to Earth ferts, you can contact them directly and they'll send you their testing reports for heavy metals. There are some online databases as well, such as this one from California: CDFA Fertilizer Product Database , where you can look up a product by manufacturer, type of fert, or product name.
You bring up a good point about the heavy metals, I'm currently using a product called Nutrified Bud Burst (formerly known as Alaska Pure) and I know it contains heavy metals but I'm not sure what type or what amounts as they won't respond to my email which is a bit curious.

Here you go... see link at the bottom

1644787059081.png

Which leads to the California database...

1644787331081.png

Metals are naturally occurring – they key is to look for excessive amounts. Heavy metals in fertilizers is a huge problem, and the organics industry is not immune to it. There is an epidemic of unsafe levels of heavy metals showing up in food products, particularly from grains. Organic, too.

Below is the Down to Earth product (DTE) that I'm using for potassium (K)... notice the difference... < 0.25 ppm As, < 0.03 ppm Cd, and others... a lot less than the Bud Burst product. Also an enormous difference in metals content considering the DTE product is 50% K, while the Bud Burst is 0.9% K! You see what I mean... in order to get the same amount of K, you have to use over 55x the amount of product... which means 55x the amount of heavy metals going into your soil mix.

To put this in a little perspective in terms of safety, the Calif. Prop 65 limit on lead for food products consumption per day is 0.5 ug (micrograms). Converting to ppm... 0.5 ug per gram = 0.5 ppm. If you ate a potato chip that contained 0.5 ppm of lead, you'd be at your daily limit. Obviously we are not eating or drinking these fertilizers, so in order to really know how much is winding up in the buds, you'd have to have your buds tested. One of these days I'm going to order one of those tests.

My opinion is to avoid Bud Burst.

1644789518563.png

Metals are naturally occurring – they key is to look for excessive amounts. Heavy metals in fertilizers is a huge problem, and the organics industry is not immune to it. There is an epidemic of unsafe levels of heavy metals showing up in food products, particularly from grains. Organic, too.

Below is the Down to Earth product (DTE) that I'm using for potassium (K)... notice the difference... < 0.25 ppm As, < 0.03 ppm Cd, and others... a lot less than the Bud Burst product. Also an enormous difference in metals content considering the DTE product is 50% K, while the Bud Burst is 0.9% K! You see what I mean... in order to get the same amount of K, you have to use over 55x the amount of product... which means 55x the amount of heavy metals going into your soil mix.

To put this in a little perspective in terms of safety, the Calif. Prop 65 limit on lead for food products consumption per day is 0.5 ug (micrograms). Converting to ppm... 0.5 ug per gram = 0.5 ppm. If you ate a potato chip that contained 0.5 ppm of lead, you'd be at your daily limit. Obviously we are not eating or drinking these fertilizers, so in order to really know how much is winding up in the buds, you'd have to have your buds tested. One of these days I'm going to order one of those tests.

My opinion is to avoid Bud Burst.

1644789518563.png
The original reason I used Bud Burst was because one of my plants had a P and K deficiency and foliar feeding it this stuff was the fastest way to correct that deficiency.

The reason I used it on my other plants was because it has growth hormones in it to boost flowering. I didn't use it for the NPK value.

But all in all I don't like the amount of heavy metals in it so I will discontinue using this product. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom