What is the best guano that money can buy?

That’s such s subjective question, I’m not gonna be able to give you a straight up answer. Plus I don’t know what’s available in your country. In general bat guano is desirable, though some like bird guano, the only real difference is that bird guano is meat based, bat is vegetable!fruit based. They’re both high in phosphorus, but N and K vary. It is often used as an amendment during flower or in organic soil mixes. The form is kinda up to you. Wear a mask if mixing unprocessed powdered guano. There are also liquid forms. Again, it’s up to you. Look at the NPK numbers, and try to get the best bang for your money. Hope this helps.

I thought guano is aged over millions of years or something like that, isn't it?

That's what it claims on this bottle: Natures Own Guano Super Grow
Well not really, while bats have been pooping in caves for millions of years, the stuff you get isn’t millions of years old or it would be fossilized. bat guano is collected in caves where the bats sleep, while there is a big build up of guano on the cave floor, it’s not a million years old. Bird guano is collected on what used to be called “guano Islands” located all over the oceans, usually barren rocky islands that sea birds live/breed on. At one time bird guano was so highly prized that wars were fought over some of the islands. This has been your 1minute guano lesson for today! (LOL)

the stuff you get isn’t millions of years old or it would be fossilized.
Yep fossilized, that's what they're claiming...

"Nature's Own Guano has the unique advantage of being fossilised"

At one time bird guano was so highly prized that wars were fought over some of the islands.
I'm familiar with the wars fought over Peruvian seabird guano, that's what got me so interested in guano. I'm going to study up on the wars a bit better this weekend, I find that shit fascinating.

I'm currently using guano in liquid form and are pleased with the results so far.... All girls are 14 weeks old from seed.

But I still wander if guano in dry form would work even better. I'll have to give it a whirl next season.
Bat guano is a great source of Nitrogen and seabird guano is a source of Phosphorus.

Check the micro-nutrients listed on the package and not just the macro-nutrients. Sometimes we might be able to find a company that not only has a guano the meets our needs for the macro but also amended it with a bit of something that supplies some of a micro-nutrient we needed for the plants.

Yep fossilized, that's what they're claiming...

the majority of the commercial stuff is not that old. it's not easy to farm and the demand outstrips production.

Gonna have to fall on my sword, did more research and there is a form of sea bird guano that is fossilized, it's rock phosphate or red phosphate, it is a fossilized version of guano. It has a very high phoshate level, but almost no nitrogen, which has been leached out. It is sometimes added to to regular guano to increase the phosphorus level. It is akin to dolomite lime, takes a while to break down, which makes it good, particularly for organic (slow release) grows. Most guano is white guano, which is not fossilized, and has more N and K (bat guano).

There is a lot of choices when it comes to guano - liquid form or dry amendment form, seabird guano or bat guano, jungle bat or desert bat, etc, etc.

My question is - What is the best guano that money can buy?
This has turned into an interesting question. Is there any reason why the source of Phosphorous has to be a guano?

Or is it curiosity or maybe something you are going to try on a few plants to see what difference it makes by the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom