What Mites hang out on the soil surface? Pics included

Nedprimo124

420 Member
Hello all, first time poster and new grower. This is something I’ve noticed in my test grow.( where I see if a plant male , female, and just put it through hell to see if it’s a keeper. I’ve noticed little mite looking creatures hanging out only on the top of my soil. I didn’t even know they were mites as they were not moving. It wasn’t until I watered with some h202 that I noticed they started moving!! They were not fast and seemed to be bothered by the h202.( they looked like they crawled into the soil.) I’ve read like every thread on the internet about what they could be. I ordered a microscope and it should be here on Saturday. I can’t know for sure what they are until I can get a better look at them. I don’t believe they are predictors as they move slow. I did however have a fungus gnat problem, and I’ve heard there can be some beneficial mites in fox farm to help with fungus gnats Although never confirmed by fox farm. (Using fox farm happy frog)I put up some sticky traps and I haven’t seen any more come about. I watered with filtered water and I have a mosquito dunk in my res. I also crushed up a bunch and put some on the surface of my soil. I will attach a picture below. Keep in mind this is my test grow so I’ve given no nutes and I have it in an 8ounce solo cup.( I’m trying to stress the plant. ) please let me know what you think this is. I’m really sorry for the picture quality. I have a video but can’t figure out how to upload it. Thank you all!
6A7C0AD6-E62F-4BDB-93AA-4D618CEDEFFD.jpeg
2374761F-DAF2-4B50-AAB1-E5D0D0361EF6.jpeg
81EB4F3B-7835-4A59-A4A3-72E7D3260D22.jpeg

C18C8D53-2B99-486F-986A-A481B727786C.jpeg

Hey Ned,

Welcome to 420! Can’t tell by your pics but probably 2 spotted spider mites.

Yes there are species of beneficial mites, but spider mites, hemp mites & russet mites are bad news in the weed garden. I‘d play it safe, kill them all and let God sort them out. Critters find plants to feed, reproduce and nest, none of which are good. I’d imagine leaf undersides are coated with eggs.

Start a grow journal and we can follow along How to make a grow journal

more growers will jump in soon.

Hey Ned,

Yes there are species of beneficial mites, but spider mites, hemp mites & russet mites are bad news in the weed garden. I‘d play it safe, kill them all and let God sort them out. Critters find plants to feed, reproduce and nest, none of which are good. I’d imagine leaf undersides are coated with eggs.

I’m with extermination! How would you suggest? I was going to spray green cleaner and mighty a week apart and maybe get some ladybugs. Do you think they could be aphids possibly?

Hey Ned,

And none on the actual plant that I’ve seen and I went looking for them. I only say them on the soil surface.

And none on the actual plant that I’ve seen and I went looking for them. I only say them on the soil surface.
Maybe take a closeup photo of the undersides of a few leaves and post it here. A couple of the regulars seem to be real good at seeing the smaller mites and the even smaller eggs if the photo stays in focus. A closeup photo like the 2nd and 3rd photo of the side of the container.

I find mites respond well to hand grenades, then it becomes the neighbors problem! But please always remember and never forget - blowing mites to kingdom come is best done outdoors!
Maybe try Neem or Spinosad, remove plant from under lights, set up high to see under canopy, spray leaf undersides, stalks & stems first, then spray top down, fan dry before putting under light

I find mites respond well to hand grenades, then it becomes the neighbors problem! But please always remember and never forget - blowing mites to kingdom come is best done outdoors!
Maybe try Neem or Spinosad, remove plant from under lights, set up high to see under canopy, spray leaf undersides, stalks & stems first, then spray top down, fan dry before putting under light
Unfortunately I’m all out of hand grenades! I started with a spray down with green cleaner. Tomorrow I’ll spray with mighty and then in a couple days I’ll spray with sulfur and just rotate those and add in the Spinosad. Do you recommend any root drenches I can work into my schedule?

Sounds like you have good selection of products to choose from, in rotation that should knock them down. There are all kinds of drenches some for microbes, others like from our sponsor SNS make a great drench for pest control, sky is the limit. I just grabbed a jug of SNS 203 on Saturday but haven’t used it yet. I‘m running super soil / living organic soil so I try to steer clear of bottled ingredients as much as possible but critter control deserves an exception in my book

Hey all, I got t microscope today! It got delayed a few days so I do apologize for the delay as well as the not soo great microscope Pics. I’ll get better I promise!!! I will attach a pic of one of these fuckers. It’s been on a piece of tape for a couple days now so it definitely died and changed color a bit.
CEE323CF-64E8-4B5B-A7F8-21355855FD85.jpeg
52D6D715-9CE7-46FB-BA6B-27CC7F6AC75C.jpeg
4D7B3269-3274-4231-A628-99B69EDBA3F0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom