Whatever Happened To Christmas Tree?

Christmas tree bud ? I was giving a 1/4 last year was grown outdoors and the guy said the strain was Christmas tree it was light green fluffy and would couch lock you and then the sleep train would come and that was all she wrote. Tasted like pinesol and took your breath away like strong hash.

Back in the day we used to get a variety of Cannabis we called "Christmas Tree". I'm not sure of it's lineage, but it was a very good strain and always seemed to come around in the fall time.

True to it's name, it was very lime green in color and the terpene notes were that of a piney, almost cedar smell and the high was an amazing cerebral (Sativa) head high, it was a great daytime smoke.

I have done some searching for a Christmas Tree strain, but I have yet to see it in any seed banks and haven't even heard mention of it since the 90's.

Does anyone remember this or was it just purely something geographical that we called it in my area?

We also had something that we called "Red Haired Sensimilla" back in those days and I haven't heard that name mentioned since the 90's either.

It would be great to know the lineage of these older strains as I'm pretty sure they would fall under the land race category?
In my little hillbilly area growing up in the 90's we used to get the christmas tree weed, and the Red Hair was one of my favorites also.Two seprate things though the pine scent was usualy the pale green. It was a pretty sure way of knowing a bag of weed was good.

I hadn't seen any here for a long time, but I think the genetics has worked its way into our local homegrown bagseed stuff and been diluted.
I recently got an og kush as a freebe, well labeled that way at least. It peaked my interest and I read up everything I could about OG Kush and I think the Christmas tree weed and posibly the Red hair came from the same area in Florida.
In the 90's a we still had a lot of Powder coming in from Florida, and I think thats where the Christmas tree weed was coming from too.
My guess is the Christmas Tree is a different pheno or precurser to OG Kush... really just a guess.
Somone who really knows the Florida history of OG Kush before it's Cali treck might know where to find the Christmas Tree.

Here is another thread I started back in 2013, searching for the same strain, with similar memories:
Christmas Buds! Mid 1990's strain: Anyone remember and know what strain?

Anyhow, the strain that was previously mentioned, "79 Xmas Bud" is the closest thing to the "christmas bud" that I remember from the mid and late 90s... I picked up some seeds of it, and it is 100% evergreen/pine terps however a few phenos had a slight hint of citrus too, but all pine. I unfortunately did a seed project with them, so I didn't actually smoke any of the bud and cant comment on the high, but the terps were spot on, and the look of it was pretty close to what I remember from back in the day... eye watering pine almost while de-seeding the buds.

I believe it is some kind of afghani but I am not certain on that. You can find more on the history of 79 Xmas Bud if you lookup NDNguy who I believe was the one who released it to other breeders.

look for 79 Xmas Bud. there are a few breeders who have it available I believe.

Also... 79 Xmas Bud is not Pine Tar Kush, they are 2 separate strains, however there is a breeder who was mentioned above that sells it as PTK, not 79 xmas bud. I was told there was some kind of mix-up so the seeds were wrongly named..as well as my photo below, which is 79 Xmas Bud.

Well just flowered the fourth and final 79 xmas bud, and just like the first three it was a male as well. which means all the clones i took just incase it was a female are all males too. Well i cant say thats not a big disapointement, 110 day taking care of these things and nothing to show for it. Well their is always next year to try four more again. Im not going to waste my grow tent space with these this winter though.
DSC08932.JPG
DSC08935.JPG
DSC08939.JPG

Well just flowered the fourth and final 79 xmas bud, and just like the first three it was a male as well. which means all the clones i took just incase it was a female are all males too. Well i cant say thats not a big disapointement, 110 day taking care of these things and nothing to show for it. Well their is always next year to try four more again. Im not going to waste my grow tent space with these this winter though.
DSC08932.JPG
DSC08935.JPG
DSC08939.JPG
Collect the pollen and make your own hybrids.

Here is another thread I started back in 2013, searching for the same strain, with similar memories:
Christmas Buds! Mid 1990's strain: Anyone remember and know what strain?

Anyhow, the strain that was previously mentioned, "79 Xmas Bud" is the closest thing to the "christmas bud" that I remember from the mid and late 90s... I picked up some seeds of it, and it is 100% evergreen/pine terps however a few phenos had a slight hint of citrus too, but all pine. I unfortunately did a seed project with them, so I didn't actually smoke any of the bud and cant comment on the high, but the terps were spot on, and the look of it was pretty close to what I remember from back in the day... eye watering pine almost while de-seeding the buds.

I believe it is some kind of afghani but I am not certain on that. You can find more on the history of 79 Xmas Bud if you lookup NDNguy who I believe was the one who released it to other breeders.

look for 79 Xmas Bud. there are a few breeders who have it available I believe.

Also... 79 Xmas Bud is not Pine Tar Kush, they are 2 separate strains, however there is a breeder who was mentioned above that sells it as PTK, not 79 xmas bud. I was told there was some kind of mix-up so the seeds were wrongly named..as well as my photo below, which is 79 Xmas Bud.

I got both strains from Home - Humboldt CSI Official Website Lots of free seeds with your order too.

I’m still searching. It was green with bright red hairs. Bud was always shaped like a pine cone and it tasted like candy canes.
It was always around at Christmas time in Chicago in the mid 90’s

I’m still searching. It was green with bright red hairs. Bud was always shaped like a pine cone and it tasted like candy canes.
It was always around at Christmas time in Chicago in the mid 90’s
Look for 79' Xmas Bud. There are a few well known seed companies/breeders who have recently carried it. I don't believe I can name them due to the forum rules and them being non-sponsors, but a few search engine searches for "79 xmas bud" you should find what you are looking for.

I ran the beans, but only for a open pollen/seed project so I can't comment on the high/quality, however the smell was 100% spot on (all pine/evergreen) with nice dense bright green nugs and bright red hairs. I would say its probably the closest thing I've seen to the Christmas bud I remember back in the 90s... it may be the same but you definitly won't be disappointed if you seek an all pine terp strain.

I'm not sure if "Christmas Tree" was any particular strain we have these days or not? Damn I wish I had kept those seeds!!!

It was really bright green in color and had an amazing smell, sweet, piney goodness!!! Always a treat around the holidays :yummy:
Was popular every fall in AZ too and have been chasing that taste to no avail a couple of years!! -- We called it Christmas Tree too...

Back in the day we used to get a variety of Cannabis we called "Christmas Tree". I'm not sure of it's lineage, but it was a very good strain and always seemed to come around in the fall time.

True to it's name, it was very lime green in color and the terpene notes were that of a piney, almost cedar smell and the high was an amazing cerebral (Sativa) head high, it was a great daytime smoke.

I have done some searching for a Christmas Tree strain, but I have yet to see it in any seed banks and haven't even heard mention of it since the 90's.

Does anyone remember this or was it just purely something geographical that we called it in my area?

We also had something that we called "Red Haired Sensimilla" back in those days and I haven't heard that name mentioned since the 90's either.

It would be great to know the lineage of these older strains as I'm pretty sure they would fall under the land race category?
I did get this in the early 90s Christmas tree aensimilla the real jemican And sense a Mellon Colombian gold And California sense a Mellon I wish we could find seeds for these Stranes

Back in the 90's here in Mass. we had something called pine trees. It was my first taste of sensimila,it was florescent green and no seeds got ya high as fudge. Shortly after the same looking weed became very abundant and was called "sensi" my thinking is this was all part of the inside growing movement. From my personal experience growing sensimila outdoors is really difficult. plants grown outside taste much different than ones grown indoors.now I haven't grown outside since 1989, so I might not know what I'm talking about, plus I'm a bit high at the moment

Back in the 90's here in Mass. we had something called pine trees. It was my first taste of sensimila,it was florescent green and no seeds got ya high as fudge. Shortly after the same looking weed became very abundant and was called "sensi" my thinking is this was all part of the inside growing movement. From my personal experience growing sensimila outdoors is really difficult. plants grown outside taste much different than ones grown indoors.now I haven't grown outside since 1989, so I might not know what I'm talking about, plus I'm a bit high at the moment
When I first started growing indoors my plants looked like Christmas trees

If you're talking about a pot they used to call Christmas Bud back in the late 80's/early 90's, Hazeman Seeds Pine Tar Kush is supposed to be it. I was one of the folks that bounced the question around about a year or two ago, and people on this website led me to that information.
Now if I can only find the old 90's strain Monkey Paw! :lot-o-toke:
Listening to one of the Dude Grows podcasts and they had a breeder on that mentioned that they have Monkey paw seeds. Never heard of it and saw your post. thought I would mention. Breeder Jimmy Toucans Blackbird preservation.

Ok the original breeder of Christmas tree died with the legacy and his kids didn't want nothing to do with it that's why it's so hard to find it and you have to have the same environment and everything the guy had to even get the same product you can get close but not the same

g

I to experienced the "christmas tree" and "red haired" sens between 84-87 in southern Mississippi and what a nice treat from the "Columbian gold" seedy crap we got every other time of the year. As a matter of fact, I found this page just now by searching for any info about those sweet piney bright green presents.

Back
Top Bottom