What's going on with these seeds?

Mr woopie

420 Member
Hi guys I need some expert help.
So I bought 10 gg#4 last year grew two all went well untill I think I killed them with over water or over nutrients. So very disappointed but move on . So I still had 8 seeds left all stored in dry dark area with desiccant I tried but only three germinated one of these got a tap root then gave up, these are my last two in the photos the larger one was fermented two or three week later than the smaller one ????? Which seems to have stalled, and I have no idea why . Both are in the same seed pick both in same climate controlled area both get sprayed with water the same. What the hell am I doing wrong 😭😭😭😭😭.
I also had no support from my supplier when asking about the 30% germination rate they just told me the seeds were old (they are several months old now but stored correctly) so any recommendations for a supplier here in Oz would be amazing.
Thanks guys in advance, this is the most helpful web site I have joined

IMG20240115133816.jpg

IMG20240115133807.jpg

IMG20240115133809.jpg

The soil mix in the orange colored pot looks like a mix designed to hold water and it is wet. And in the small peat pot the soil is also damp. When ready to transplant it might be a good idea to mix some Perlite or other aeration material into the soil. It will not only add air pockets for the roots but helps to balance the moisture levels.

Containers that size can often go 5 to 7 days before small seedlings like you have need to be watered.

The soil in the little pot looks pretty claggy?
And in plastic pots you have to be very careful with watering and have the soil setup for maximum aeration and drainage.
What's the soil mix? and perlite ratio? you can go pretty like 30/40% or even half and half. you can mix it in, or even do it in alternate layers, lasagna of soil & perlite
Fabric pots could be a help.
And if you don't want to worry about over or forgetting watering join the Sip Club

Hey Mr Whoopie,

Ditto looks like the soil mix needs more aeration & drainage capabilities added. Overwatering is a huge issue with weed plants. Heres the deal you could pour a whole gallon on those tiny girls and it would not cause a problem because the rest of the water after soil saturation would just run out the bottom drain holes. Overwatering is caused by not letting the soil dry out all the way to the bottom of the container before adding more water.

Also we’ve seen numerous times where roots never pass thru the walls of the peat pots, it’s best to peel those off at transplant. Yes the peat pots are biodegradable and roots are supposed to grow right thru the sides but quite often they do not make it.

a pack of kitchen bamboo skewers will serve you well as cheapie moisture meters. Poke a wooden skewer into the soil and to be effective it must hit the bottom of the container. Leave the skewer in place in the container for 30 minutes, after that pull the skewer out and the moisture level of the container will be revealed on the dipstick. You can visibly see and feel the water level on the dipstick Do this check every time before you add a single drop or a single spray of water.

weed roots need to be able to breathe oxygen thru the soil - which they can’t do in a continuously wet or damp soil. Adding more water does not equate to faster growth… it can lead to damping off, pests attack, root rot, etcetera… A seedling is tiny and only needs tiny amounts of water plus it needs water when it needs water and not every day based on a human dictated schedule. Weed plants need to see the range from wet soil all the way over to dry soil. Gravity works so when top of soil appears to be dry but the bottom where the roots are is still very much wet.

we have all killed our fair share of new beans, sprouts and seedlings

many of us have battled hard to learn proper watering techniques. However Azimuth, Buds Buddy and Reservoir Dog have a thread dedicated to SIPs (sub irrigated planters) and Carmen Ray has one dedicated to swicks which is a wick type bottom watering. Both are really cool ways to allow the plant to water itself, which really works out well. Hang on - brb with links

SIP club

Swick thread

please note: both are long threads, you don’t have to read it all because the first page should give you the basics and the other pages are comments & questions along the way.

best of luck!

Thanks guys for all the great advice, the girls are potted in Burning premium potting mix, I thought I was doing the right thing but I have today purchased pearlite and also two bags of seedling potting mix by Yates ( see photos) and will report tomorrow as I have the whole day to attend to the girls. I am hoping this will help???

Again many thanks 👍

IMG20240116163014.jpg

IMG20240116163006.jpg

That's also a good idea, seedling soil is without the heavy fertiliser that impedes proper root formation in the first weeks.
I think you can still use the other soil just cut it with loads of perlite, and make a centre with the seedling soil.
Also don't compact things or pat it down too much, it will compact itself with waterings later.
And indeed read up on the watering thing, it's sometimes very small adjustments in how you do things and suddenly the plants are happy.
If the soil is moist a seedling doesn't need much water, let the roots expand and hunt for the moisture that is available in the pot, and once they are a bit established then a normal watering routine can commence.

You could also drill some extra drainage or some oxygenation holes in the pot.

Hi fenderbender I transplanted them yesterday very very carefully, I made up potting mix with the pearlite and used the seedling potting mix (see photos) In the center damped it with a spray. Will photo again tomorrow mid morning, I have fingers crossed as it's my last two seeds and I need to find a better seed supplier her in Oz.

Big big thanks to everyone for there help

Hi fenderbender I transplanted them yesterday very very carefully, I made up potting mix with the pearlite and used the seedling potting mix (see photos) In the center damped it with a spray. Will photo again tomorrow mid morning, I have fingers crossed as it's my last two seeds and I need to find a better seed supplier her in Oz.

Big big thanks to everyone for there help
I just looked, I thought there's a bunch of seedbanks but I'm seeing the problem, they don't have a big choice of any of the banks we have access to.. I did see one had some Barney's Farm but like 264$ for 10 femi seeds which is wild.
So any of the imports would be very expensive.
But there's plenty from there to try out it seems.. and well until you got things down it's not really the seeds or strains fault.. sure low germination rate is no fun, and there can always be duds with femi seeds, but drowning them is on you.

If seeds are so expensive over there might want to get into cloning? or grow a bag of seeds with regulars?

Hi Fender, i have temp control and can measure humidity. Are you saying just let the humidity water the girls ? And no spraying . I have only sprayed to moisten the new soil. Many thanks for all the great advice and help.

Well It's just because I saw the leafs are wet under light, no bueno
Yeah okay you've sprayed.. It's just we need to get to stop you from chucking water at the things that are drowning, give them a breather..
I know it's counterintuitive and I still do it too, these days I spray a bit on the soil in a wide berth around the plant just to satisfy the compulsion without actually messing with the plant.

Back
Top Bottom