Stalled Autoflower Seedling

One big point to starting in soil is that it avoids handling the seed when placing it in wet paper towels and when transferring it into the next sized pot. Anything to avoid the possibility of breaking off the tap root 'cause that means it is all over.

Breaking the tap root is rare. My big thing is all the extra care and handling that is involved in handling the very small plant with a teeny tiny tap root. Once the tap root is several inches long with side roots transplanting is a breeze.

Only did an auto-flower once and that was an accident. There was a seed in with some photoperiod seeds and I did not find out till it started flowering. By then I had taken several clones and transplanted a time or two.
I agree, but I'd only handle it with tweezers and plant it in soil as soon as the seed coat cracks and maybe a hint of root starts showing. I agree that the longer the tap root at this stage the bigger the chance of damage.

They are seeds from another experiment - I just hope I have the good sense to scrap them when this experiment is over - I have a hard time with that!!
Instead of seeds I have the very same problem with clones.

* Cloning is like an addiction. Always need to take more cuttings. The mother plant is getting too tall so cut some of it off and stick in damp soil. Always find a reason to take a cutting and an excuse to keep it even though the bench is already overloaded. As the saying goes, always room for Jello and always room for one more clone.

** Look over there, some of the cuttings are not growing. They are still green so I stick them in the corner and water every couple of days. Oh, look, some of them started growing. Oh, goodie, more clones to transplant so that they can be added to the jungle already under the vegetating lights.

*** Oh, no, running out of room for all these cuttings. Answer is to stick 5 into a pint jar of water and watch to see if roots start to form. If eventually there are roots just starting they get put into little containers of soil and get added to the mess. Every now and then a cutting has no roots but looks healthier than the rest that are being culled so it gets its own little container of soil. One of of three of those will suddenly start growing roots and catch up with the rest.

My seed starting success is close to 95% but my cloning success is down around 25 to 35% success depending on how brutal I want to be when it is time to cull.

Instead of seeds I have the very same problem with clones.

* Cloning is like an addiction. Always need to take more cuttings. The mother plant is getting too tall so cut some of it off and stick in damp soil. Always find a reason to take a cutting and an excuse to keep it even though the bench is already overloaded. As the saying goes, always room for Jello and always room for one more clone.

** Look over there, some of the cuttings are not growing. They are still green so I stick them in the corner and water every couple of days. Oh, look, some of them started growing. Oh, goodie, more clones to transplant so that they can be added to the jungle already under the vegetating lights.

*** Oh, no, running out of room for all these cuttings. Answer is to stick 5 into a pint jar of water and watch to see if roots start to form. If eventually there are roots just starting they get put into little containers of soil and get added to the mess. Every now and then a cutting has no roots but looks healthier than the rest that are being culled so it gets its own little container of soil. One of of three of those will suddenly start growing roots and catch up with the rest.

My seed starting success is close to 95% but my cloning success is down around 25 to 35% success depending on how brutal I want to be when it is time to cull.
It's like you and I are twins! I do the same thing.

One thing I've started doing is taking the extras, stripping off the leaves and putting them into a jar with water and a bit of worm castings. In a couple of weeks, that will have broken down into some excellent liquid fertilizer for your plants.

It's a Jadam fert, smells like a springtime horse barn, but the plants really like it, and makes me feel better knowing the sacrificed plants are helping the grow rather than just being tossed into the worm bin.

But, yeah, hard for me too. I'm just starting 8 more cuts that I'm calling an experiment to try some different things. I mean it is an experiment, but I don't really need them so really should get rid of some of the others once they root.

But I know I have a problem. Wonder if there's a Twelve Step program for this. We can't be the only two. :hmmmm:

my seed starts are at 100% since joining the forum. the place is like a lucky charm.

i haven't changed anything in 40 yrs. i do a paper towel method sandwiched between a couple plates, on a shelf above my stereo amp left on constantly. it's a way lower heat source than a seedling mat, but the plate plate absorbs the heat and spreads it even.

paper towel method is the worst for transplant to media so i don't always recommend it to new folk. a lot of the grow plugs i've seen impress me for starting. some day i'll get my shit together in time to try them.

But, yeah, hard for me too. I'm just starting 8 more cuts that I'm calling an experiment to try some different things. I mean it is an experiment, but I don't really need them so really should get rid of some of the others once they root.

there's hundred ways to successfully clone. every grower finds a good way for them. after a bit you won't even think about it. you'll just do what works. it might be bit different from others.

Seed starting, like watering and cloning, and many other aspects of growing our favorite plant is a very individual thing. Over time you'll find a method for each that works for you in your environment and then things will become more automatic.

There's no one right way to do it. That's why when you ask that type of question you get so many varied answers. Each of them likely work great for the person that suggested it. Doesn't mean it'll work for you. But you'll find something that does work and you'll have confidence in it. Growing gets a lot more fun after that!

So, it's good to ask for opinions and get lots of different responses. Hopefully in one of them you'll find something that works for you.

I like to experiment with different things even when I have something that works pretty well. That's part of the fun of growing for me.
Thanks Azimuth! Totally agree. I’m hoping to find “my way” by piecing together different styles from others. All of you have a lot of wisdom to share, I’d be a fool not to take notes!

my seed starts are at 100% since joining the forum. the place is like a lucky charm.

i haven't changed anything in 40 yrs. i do a paper towel method sandwiched between a couple plates, on a shelf above my stereo amp left on constantly. it's a way lower heat source than a seedling mat, but the plate plate absorbs the heat and spreads it even.

paper towel method is the worst for transplant to media so i don't always recommend it to new folk. a lot of the grow plugs i've seen impress me for starting. some day i'll get my shit together in time to try them.

there's hundred ways to successfully clone. every grower finds a good way for them. after a bit you won't even think about it. you'll just do what works. it might be bit different from others.
Thanks Bluter! I appreciate you sharing your years of experience. I’m most successful with the paper towel method. My seeds usually break the surface and then just slow way down. A few get leggy but I feel like I can adjust for that. Attached is my most recent blueberry auto. I think there might be two problems with her. 1. She’s way small for being 12 days old. 2. Her leaves are coming in crooked. Do they fix themselves? I was planning on using her to harvest seeds. If she’s stunted I’m hesitant to keep her genetics.

A23699D5-A783-4054-AA65-F859829152E5.jpeg

it's fine. it takes them a bit to get established.
i would have started it in a smaller pot or a solo cup. if that's in coco make sure to keep it moist and fed.

paper towel method is the worst for transplant to media
I have wondered if you could cut 1" squares of paper towel to place on either side of the seed then cover with the larger piece so that when they sprout you could move the complete 1" piece into the media. It is handling the bare seed and sprout that kind of freaks people out. When you only do a few once a year it is hard to practice and at my age I drop a lot of shit!!! My exercise regime consists of picking things back up and jumping to conclusions!!!! :hmmmm: :goof:

I usually just end up sanding part of my finger holding em lol.... Speaking of have you seen seed cracker blocks....it looks super stressful.

il_570xN.2302927047_533u.jpg
I did an experiment when I trying to get some close to 20 year old seeds to sprout. I took some of my new grown auto seeds & cracked the shells, removed them & then started them in wet paper towel. Had success with the the autos so tried the 20 year old seed but it failed

I may try again with some Gibberellic acid if I find the time

IMG_1616 (2).JPG

look mom no helmets
I got the Idea when I was trying to sprout some old pumpkin seeds
Oh and I used my mouth, like shelling sunflower seeds

Maybe instead of cracking the seeds, scuff them up with sandpaper. That would help water seep through the seed coat without damaging the seed as much. 20 year old seeds, though. May just no longer be viable.

Maybe instead of cracking the seeds, scuff them up with sandpaper. That would help water seep through the seed coat without damaging the seed as much. 20 year old seeds, though. May just no longer be viable.
Tried that & didn't work ,why do you think I went to the extremes of taking the shell off

Back
Top Bottom