Which is better for a beginner grower - Feminized or auto flower in soil?

BENNY 420

Looking for someone who has grown both from seedlings and wanted to know your opinion had a little trouble with my first grow 5 to 6 weeks into flower with leaves turning yellow and falling off.and was wondering if with auto flowering I would have the same problem I have been keeping the pH levels of 6.3 i have been given it nutrients with cal mag and distilled water .but would really like to know if autoflowering will be better for my next grow

I'm a first time grower as well and decided to try an autoflower as I wouldn't have to worry about the lighting schedule, but I'm having problems with it. Supposedly it's easier and harvest time is apparently faster but its HAAARRRRDDDD
My first seedling failed to pop from the soil...well actually it did, but I guess maybe I didn't have enough lights or the right temps and it began to rot and die.

My second attempt is here:
Stunted Growth?
its growing leaves, its in a tent where conditions are somewhat more controlled, but it isn't getting taller
and the progress has been really really slow. I think im close to 3 weeks on that plant from when it came up from the soil and its only that size

So thats what I've been facing as a completely new grower with an autoflowering strain

you might have better luck as you have grown before

but anyways, its all a learning process and I am definitely learning all the time

good luck

Ye i would not worry to much about yellowing leafs in mid to late flowering it is pretty common to be honest & you may want to think of this as a stage of development where the plant starts to use stored nutrients/sugars etc for end result aka big fat bud :high-five:

9 out of 10 strains i've grown have had yellowing leafs mid flowering onward, i did have one strain which stayed pretty green all the way up to harvest time tho.

I mainly use fem seeds & pretty straight forward just veg to suitable height expect stretch in 12/12 flower which may double size or so of vegged plant. Plus they can be trained for scrog etc & other methods.

Well i'm doing my first auto grow at present pretty much limited to a bush type of plant & at best perhaps lst training, they is some debate on suitable light timing tho & the effect on the yield depends on how far ya want to look into it ?

Anyway this is the sub section of the forums covering - Auto-Flowering might want to take a look at that.

Ye i would not worry to much about yellowing leafs in mid to late flowering it is pretty common to be honest & you may want to think of this as a stage of development where the plant starts to use stored nutrients/sugars etc for end result aka big fat bud :high-five:
Thanks appreciate it just thought I was doing something wrong
9 out of 10 strains i've grown have had yellowing leafs mid flowering onward, i did have one strain which stayed pretty green all the way up to harvest time tho.

I mainly use fem seeds & pretty straight forward just veg to suitable height expect stretch in 12/12 flower which may double size or so of vegged plant. Plus they can be trained for scrog etc & other methods.

Well i'm doing my first auto grow at present pretty much limited to a bush type of plant & at best perhaps lst training, they is some debate on suitable light timing tho & the effect on the yield depends on how far ya want to look into it ?
Okay thanks I thought I was doing something wrong because it has so many leaves that are falling off I thought that It might be dying in the last stages of flowering

Anyway this is the sub section of the forums covering - Auto-Flowering might want to take a look at that.
okay thank you I was a little worried that. It might be dying in the last stages of flowering

I am finding autos actually require more knowledge to do it correctly. I mean as long as you don't over do it and start weak and watch it you will be fine but then you have to know about deficiencies and how to respond.

If you are in Hydro I think then a beginner can nail it. The problem is in soil you can not react very fast to the stages of life changing. Since you are out of control and it is running its own cycle you have to know what certain stages look like and make sure to keep the nute profile correct. Changing the nute profile in soil takes a bit of time since it has to dry out. So inevitably if you have not dialed it in you will still be treating it like it is in veg when it goes to bloom. Not a big deal just you have no control. So if you don't know what you are doing you could be well into bloom and not realize it and be feeding it wrong. I was blooming by 7 inches tall. My soil which normally is designed for normal plants still was full of all the goodness it would need to be in veg for a while. Again not a big deal if you know what to do.

I think the worst part is for a beginner you are shorting yourself a lot of learning. And if you are lucky enough to get it right a few times then you try to do a normal one you have a good likely hood of crashing it. You will think you understand the growth process but you wont because so many things you need to control are out of your control in autos.

And growing males teaches you things too... and they can be cooked down into butter. I think unless you have a small space that you should start your learning process with regular seeds. Clone 2-4 off each plant (there is another good thing to learn). Then you will have your females for your next grow, one where you have experience with that strain. Your first grow will be a learning process anyway. You may get lucky and get something good but all that does is fool you into thinking you know what you are doing. There is a lot to learn and it takes many grows. You can read all you want about it. You can spend a ton of money on the equipment and chemicals. But nothing works as well as experience.

Good luck!

But if you must go with a non-auto Fem is my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom