White Widow seeds in buds - Why

Hi
Just cut the last 2 cheese i have and the top on it was the biggest i have ever had, so here is the photo. I left about 6 inch in the pot with some small bud and flower just to reveg as it was a monster plant, happy days

100_39223.JPG
100_39232.JPG

Hi donpaul
yes i have had some trouble with seeds popping up, so was trying a few things to see, and now i have 15 plants in the tent and in my veg room where i was taking cutting and doing seeds i have 32 plants. now i am thinking what to do. MMMMMMmmmmm.
my flowering clones are looking good think i will keep one for the mother plant because it had loads of bud, and it was really really stinky and strong. after 2 to 3 puffs you was asleep lol. let my mates try some and the same with them ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. they all said it was the best they have ever smoked, they were asking when i got it from, made me feel good

hows you grows coming on?
thanks

Re: White widow seeds in buds (WHY)

Hey..... I'm pretty bummed too. I grew White Widow and Blueberry this year indoors from "Feminized" seeds and got tons of seeds from both! Only one plant didn't have them and it was grown mostly outside from the same batch.
The outside plant looked totally different from the others. I believe "Buy Dutch Seeds" are full of S**T. (I would have spelled it out but didn't know if it was Kosher)...LOL
I sent them an Email but they never got back to me. I do know stress can make them Hermies and my temps got around 100 deg at times. Harvested and cured the looked like regular old "Mexican"

I can help you with your Blacklist.

I got my White Widow and Blueberry from "Buy Dutch Seeds"... very unhappy. I questioned them about the seeds and they never returned my email. Too busy spending my $70 for 5 seeds, Total for both types? $140 on .....Who Knows, after it is HOLLAND...LOL

I'm in the midst of a "Battle of the Balls" with two of my four ladies which I believe were due to heat stress and the heat topped out at around 90 degrees, instead of 100, and these plants were vegged in the mid 80's. I've since lowered it down to a maximum of around 80 or so and so far one plant has stopped producing stamens, the other one, which was much closer to the intense sidelighting which I believe caused this situation, is slowly coming around, but I may have to fight this battle throughout the remainder of flowering. I would have never thought that heat would have caused such problems, now I know better. Not sure I would blame the seed supplier in this particular case, I know I'm not. I'm using this as a learning experience, one which I hope never to repeat.

so you both got hermies from the same supplier, high temps can cause hermies but my temps in the summer hit high 90's and creep into low 100's and it didnt give me any hermies,

anything can cause hermies, light leaks during flower, to much nutrients or to little nutrients, high soil temps and low soil temps. so its very easy to get hermies.

some strains hermie easiler than others so its difficult to say if its the source of the seeds or not.
i shop at herbies head shop and ive only had 2 problems, one was a blue mystic, many growers on a few of the grow sites had the same genetic problem with plants dying at the 4th node, all the seeds came from different seed banks but was from same breeder, i contacted herbies and let him know the seed was not souvineer quality, he got back to me the same day and said he would replace the seed in my next order, which he did,

the 2nd problem i had was i ordered a femenised jack flash and it turned out male, now we all know its perfectly possibly to have the odd male pop up from fem seeds, if it wasnt they would call them female seeds and not femenised, but i contacted herbie in case other people had similar problems and again told him the seed was not souvineer quality as it suggested it was male, again he told me he would replace it in my next order which again he did, this time he sent me 2x femenised jack flash seeds.

the problem with seed banks is you cant discuss germination with them, their not allowed to sell seeds for growing purposes, so to get round this they sell them as souvineer only, so you need to word your email right and they should get back to you, how ever i would of at least expected them to get back to you with a comment saying they cant discuss germination but will replace the seeds when you place your next order.

so i know what i would do id shop elsewhere, we have other sponsors who sell seeds but cant comment on them as ive not purchased seeds from them, ive always had great service from herbies head shop so not needed to shop anywhere else, plus you can buy single seeds from him as well,

so you both got hermies from the same supplier, high temps can cause hermies but my temps in the summer hit high 90's and creep into low 100's and it didnt give me any hermies,

anything can cause hermies, light leaks during flower, to much nutrients or to little nutrients, high soil temps and low soil temps. so its very easy to get hermies.

Actually, while I did get my seeds from the Netherlands, it wasn't from "Buy Dutch Seeds". While I'm not 100% sure that heat is the issue with my hermies, that is the best I can figure out right now given what I know of my ladies' environment and how I see them respond to my efforts to help them recover from this issue. Given that they are all of the same strain yet only two have hermied, it would appear to me that something within the environment is causing this to happen. I could be wrong that heat is the root cause of this issue, but so far my analysis has led me to believe that it is at least part of the problem and I'm still trying to figure it all out. I'm hopeful that I have a good handle on it but I don't know what tomorrow will bring. It's good to hear that it's very easy to get hermies, I feel a little better knowing that, thanks donpaul.

ive even read journals where growers have got hermies because the extension lead they used to plug lights and fans into had a small red light on it, so even something as small as that can cause the plant to hermie,

the easiest way to hermie a plant is light stress, if you let any light in during the 12 hour dark period then this will make plants hermie, if it happens once or twice then its not likely to hermie, but say you had some plants out doors and a neighbour drives her car on the drive each night and the lights shine into your garden for a couple of seconds, well this then turns the plant hermie, so light leaks during flower are the most common cause of plants going hermie.

now some growers who use cfls keep getting hermie plants and they cant work out why, then they find out that if their using cfls and have them plugged into a digital timer then this causes the light to flick on for a split second a few times a night, i found this out on my tropical fish tanks, if i use a digital time to turn the lights on and off then when i fell asleep on the sofa id notice the room light up in the middle of the night and couldnt work out why, then i was up watching tv late and noticed the fish tank light would spark into life for a second then go out,

so i tried it with a cfl, i had a table lamp plugged into a digital timer and the exact same thing happened, the cfl would spark to life for a split second and this would happen 2 or 3 times during the dark period, so digital timers and cfls dont really mix, ive tried this with 2 different digital timers and both caused the cfl to flicker on for a split second a few times during the dark period, so cfl growers can constantly get hermies due to this as they just dont think the light is actually causing the problem, its only when you see it happen that you know its the timer,

mechanical timers are fine to use and dont cause any problems, but low watt cfls seem to spark into life for a split second 2 or 3 times a night, a few growers have now noticed this so no longer used digital timers,

so check for light leaks as this is the most likely cause, i get into my grow space and shut the door and have the lights on in the room so i can see if any light is leaking into the grow space, or have the light on inside the grow space and shut the door then have the lights off in the rest of the place and if you can see light leaking out of the grow space then light will be leaking in at the same spot

I use a mechanical timer, when timer turns off all power is cut off to power strips so nothing can be on in room. I close all vent flaps every night. The grow tent uses zippers which are not, and probably cannot be made, totally light proof. I see some light through pin holes of some of the stitching but it is even less than the light through the zippers. Plus I have outer wooden folding doors which I close every night so I think it is pretty light tight. If I did have a light issue though, wouldn't all of my ladies turn hermie, instead of just two of them?

well its difficult to say as it depends where the light leak is, if it was a big leak then yes it would affect all plants, but if the leak was low down in one corner then only the plants near to that corner would be affected as it would block the light from getting to the other plants,

but if your using a grow tent then i wouldnt worry to much about light leaks, so i dont have to worry about light leaks i have my lights off when its dark outside and i dont turn lights on near where the grow room is, so i stop light leaks that way.

outdoor plants get light from the moon so as long as the light leak is only very slight then their is not much risk of it being light that caused the problem, chances are it was down to the temps or the strain. most tents are made well and light leaks are not a prolem unless the tent is damaged,

so did be more inclined to say the problem was down to high temps or down to the strain.
when you check temps are you checking the temps at the same height as the tops of the plants, temps at canopy level will be higher then temps lower down the room, or if your checking the temps at the top of the room then this will be higher than it is at plant height

My temperature/humidity monitor is on top of the highest lamp fixture, so it doesn't receive any direct heat/light from above, and is located right above the base of the fixture so that it does not receive any ambient heat from the fixture itself. This is within a few inches of the canopy and gives a good reading for the general air temperature in the room near canopy level. The temps from the sidelights, when I had 4-42 watt CFL bulbs on each side, was hotter than near the temp monitor. One plant that was within a few inches of these sidelights has been affected the most and for the longest period of time, I've found a total of around 8-10 stamens over the last few days. The other plant which was further away from the sidelights had only about 4-5 stamens which I removed last Friday and so far no additional stamens have been found. Now that I have only one bulb in each corner, surrounded by a reflector, it is much cooler in these areas of the tent. Overall temperatures have dropped by ~10 degrees and max out around 80-82 degrees.

ok, so could be a genetic problem then with that strain with 1 pheno type having the hermie trait, this is possible with strains and more possible with femenised seeds, it dont happen often but ive had hermies with no stress to cause it so as they was both the same strain then its likely its just strain related,

We've never had a legitimate complaint against Buy Dutch Seeds in over a decade.

Buy Dutch Seeds has been contacted to chime in. :Namaste:

Hey..... I'm pretty bummed too. I grew White Widow and Blueberry this year indoors from "Feminized" seeds and got tons of seeds from both! Only one plant didn't have them and it was grown mostly outside from the same batch.
The outside plant looked totally different from the others. I believe "Buy Dutch Seeds" are full of S**T. (I would have spelled it out but didn't know if it was Kosher)...LOL
I sent them an Email but they never got back to me. I do know stress can make them Hermies and my temps got around 100 deg at times. Harvested and cured the looked like regular old "Mexican"

We always answer support emails within 24 hours during business days. You can contact us via support@buydutchseeds.com about your order. Please mention your order number.

Back
Top Bottom