White Widow seeds in buds - Why

what old medman said, everything needs spraying with water, a small spray bottle will do, pollen will settle anywhere and your fan will just blow it around, id spray plants and everything i use and the whole room with a mist of water to destroy the pollen, but you need to try and find the source, is it a male or from a hermie, if its hermie you should see this in the plants that was harvested

ive just checked the pics again and it dont look like the whole plant went to see, it looks like the seeds are inside the buds, are them seed pods at the nodes got seeds in or are they just swollen due to been ready to harvest,

it could just of self polinated, hopefully you find the source,

Hi
the seeds were all in the bud every where it took me 4 hours just to do 6oz of deseeding, very boring job
so it is ok to mist the whole plant?? i have 12 in there at the moment they are on week 5 flower??
thanks for all your info donpaul

I have just got a little water sparyer mister, so how do i spary the plants? just spray in the fan so it blows around the room? with lights on or off???? and how much water should i use to kill any pollen in the room???? the plants have been in flower for 5 weeks

what id do is take the plants out so their no in the direct light and give them a good spray all over, then let them dry off and put back under lights. you can cause burn spots if you spray water when the plants are close to lights,

you just want a spray bottle and give the plants a good misting over with water and let dry, do the same inside the grow space or use a cloth or something to wipe it all down, the water will destroy the pollen and it wont be viable so wont cause any problems.

so you dont want the water droplets acting like a magnyfying glass as this will leave burn spots on buds and leaves, you could either mist them just after lights go out and then shut the door so they dry before lights come back on,

but chances are the pollen is more likely to be around the grow area so id wipe that down with a wet cloth and that will kill any pollen in the room, with the plants just use the hand spray bottle and give them a spray all over so they look like they been rained on, then let them dry before putting back under the lights, you could pull them out the grow room but leave the light on so their still getting the light but they will be far enough away to stop the light causing problems.

pollen gets everywhere and just moving the plants around can cause it to get air born, so id turn the fan off before moving the plants and just make sure everything is wiped down and plants sprayed and that then should kill any viable pollen left on the plants or in the room

Hi
Since the 9th august i have been misting the plants every night when lights go out, just like donpaul said. All seems to be ok no seeds in the bud yet this is the end of week 7, so i guess if there was any pollen in the tent the misting has killed it. On the plants the buds dont looks to big really i think the temp was to hot, i have got the room temp down to 25 now, it was about 32, any comments on the temp being to high would be good.

will add some photo in a bit

Exodus cheese flowering end week 7

100_38811.JPG
100_38802.JPG
100_38792.JPG
100_38783.JPG
100_38771.JPG
100_38761.JPG
100_38751.JPG
100_38741.JPG
100_38731.JPG

cool, sounds like you should be ok this time round then,
you can stop misting now, the pollen wont be viable anymore, when it gets wet it kills it so as long as everything has been sprayed down at least once then the pollen wont spread, its just if their was any on the walls or floor then the fans could pick it up and blow it around so if its been sprayed then you will be ok,

with the temps make sure your checking the temps at the same level as the top of the plants, that will give you the exact temp, also higher temps will cause the buds and plant to stretch, outdoors the plants stretch when they get hot so they can reach cooler air, so as long as their is a good breeze they wont stretch, so maybe raise the light a few inches if it is getting a bit toasty, ive had buds this time round that stretched and ended up been long and skinny, but now the daytime temps have dropped a bit the rest of my plants in flower are not stretching anymore, plus mine stretched in veg due to the temps been to high,

so all been well you should be seed free this time round, just keep an eye on signs of hermie as it was either male pollen or hermie pollen that got you in trouble last time, so check at the base of the buds and at the nodes but you will need to look under the leaves at the nodes as pollen sacs usually are pretty hidden at first,

but all been well you will be ok now, looks to me like the pistils are still sticking up on the buds so that suggests their seed free,

how many seeds do you think you have got and what strain do you think they could be, so what strains was you growing at the time they turned to seed, you could either have a load of fem seeds or if a neighbour had a male plant then they could be all regular seeds,

pollen could of come from anywhere, they say it can spread about 2k or more in the wind so anyone within that distance can spread pollen into a grow room, but it could of been bought in on clothes or even a cat or dog if you have one of these, pollen is difficult to keep confined and a simple fan will blow it all over the plants and turn the lot to seed,

ive produced my own seeds a few times both regular and fem seeds, at the minute im collecting pollen from a kc45 auto male and got a female kc45 auto just going into flower and got an auto bubble fem and northern lights auto fem growing as well so as the kc45 male was a huge fast growing male ill use this pollen to try and produce a auto strain that yields well,

This is a late flower self pollinating banana type:

P10001451.JPG

I think there is only like 6 pollen cells in each of these Northern Light bananas. I harvested 2 days after seeing this so no seeds in mine.

My first thought when hearing about your problems was that there was some one else, or a wild plant, pollinating. Sorry to hear, but on the upside you have a schwack load of seeds to play with! Hope that the spraying resolved it! You could probably add a filter of some kind to your air intake might prevent future issues if it is in fact a rogue male in the neighborhood.

Hi
I will be harvesting the cheese this weekend i think the spraying has done the trick. Yes i have loads of seeds.
thinking about getting an aircon unit to drop the temp. any tips

My first thought when hearing about your problems was that there was some one else, or a wild plant, pollinating. Sorry to hear, but on the upside you have a schwack load of seeds to play with! Hope that the spraying resolved it! You could probably add a filter of some kind to your air intake might prevent future issues if it is in fact a rogue male in the neighborhood.

I was thinking the same thing

if you didnt find any pollen sacs then the pollen was from an outside source, it has to be, but the hermie pollen sacs are well hidden, ive had to look very hard to find any, i only seen them when i sat on the floor and had the plant on a table above me so i was looking up at the branches instead of down from the top, then i could clearly see pollen sacs

but you also need to consider that when the pollen sacs open they die and fall off, so you might of had a plant that went hermie early in flower and the pollen sacs fell off and the plant flowered as normal, it dont have to be a plant that stayed hermie till harvest, ive had hermies in the past and pulled the pollen sacs off then the plant flowered till harvest without any more pollen sacs, you it could of been a small amount of stress that caused the plant to hermie then it would of produced pollen and the pollen sacs would dry up and fall off then the plant would continue to flower as a female, so thats is also something thats possible,

but in the pic on the last page if you see bananas like that sticking out the buds then their is bound to be pollen sacs at other places on the plant usually hidden at the nodes, the pollen sacs are usually well hidden under leaves and very close to the stem,

i find with hermies that they dont produce much pollen and the pollen usually falls onto the bud just below the pollen sac, so if you have seeds forming in a bud then look up and you should find the source of the pollen, but hermies can produce just 1 or 2 pollen sacs, it dont mean the whole plant went hermie, some growers have had hermies early in flower then put them back in veg and flower them again and they dont go hermie the 2nd time, so if it was stress related and not genetic then it could of went hermie and then went back to been 100% female, it is possible, failing that it can only be an outside source, could be on your clothes, or if you have a cat or even insects, look how pollen is spread in nature, wind and insects so anything is possible,

Hi
Good news just havest 12 exodus cheese and no seeds. there were same sacks like i had on the widow but these were empty. I have put 4widow seeds in to flower just to see if they go to seed again but this time i am misting every night. or just to see if that were crap seeds.

ok cool, just be careful with misting in flower as it can burn the flowers when the light is to close to them, so i only mist when the plants are a good few feet from the light, i usually mist my plants once a month to wash off any dust that may settle on them but i take the plants out of the grow room and leave them just outside the room so their still getting light but not at such high strength, so that stops the buds from getting burned,

i only do this as i used to mist my plants every week, then one day i noticed some of the buds had burn spots on them, it looked just like someone had dropped some bleach of put a hot lighter to them, i was asked if i sprayed the plants and when i said yes i was told its best not to mist the plants at all as it causes burning on buds,

but its ok to mist as long as their not under a hps in flower, once the plant is dry its ok to put back under the light, i just pollenated a auto so i can produce a load of auto seeds so i took it out the flower room and put pollen on all the pistils, then 4 hours later i sprayed it down with water to kill any pollen that wasnt making seeds then let it dry and put it back in the flower room,

The first 4 cheese dry weight was 6.57oz not the best, just got to let the other 8 dry i think the total weight will be 20 to 22oz.
dont know what is going on with me and planting new seeds, i put 22 cheese in and only 1 popped up???? not happy as i paid for the cheese seeds. so i took about 10 cutting from the cheese i just harvest just to see what will happened 3 have wilted the other 7 look good still.

When you go to clean your grow rooms for your next grow, use some Hydrogen Peroxide/Bleach (be careful with the bleach LOL) mixed in with your water to ensure anything living around the grow with be exterminated! Best of luck with your newly cut clones roundstone :Namaste:

Hi all

well the cheese was harvest from 12 plants only 17oz very poor. but on the upside i will be havesting 4 widow this weekend and they are seed free, yepppppyyyyyyyyy and will put a photo on here tomorrow looks like about 4oz per plant will update when dry.

its still17oz thought mate, plenty for smoking, i guess it could of been better but if you didnt have so many plants then it might not be as good but you still got 17oz from the plants which is not a bad yield per grow, then you got the rest to harvest,

i cant remember if you was using lights or outdoors, if you was using lights then what watt was the lights,

Hi
i have tent 600w hps 4 plants per light. I am so pleased with the widow at the moment it is the best any plant has ever looked. i guess because where it had all the seeds in last time i would have made it slow down.

got some free seeds yesterday
northern light
and northern light x ak
sleetstick x skunk

anybody growen there and what they like??

thanks

Back
Top Bottom