Winter! Small heater for 3x3 tent?

I use a couple of these when it gets too cold. They come in different sizes and wattage. Small enough to fit somewhere in a small tent.
Heater.jpg

I have a "Vornadobaby."

It's aimed at being a nursery (baby, not plant) heater, and does well. The body of the unit doesn't get hot, which is nice. Also has temp control, tip over protection, and an auto-off safety shutoff. I can also set the fan to circulate continuously, and the heat kicks on only as needed. That's a good thing as I can use it in lieu of my other floor fan, so there's that.

The downside of these heaters is they can use as much or more electric than your lights! Thankfully they don't have to run all the time. I like to set them to keep the temp no lower than 65F. In late flower maybe let it slide to 60F.

Just remember that if you're using equipment like this (or other stuff) that has lights on it, and you're running photoperiod plants, cover the lights with some tape or something once it's set up.

I should have added the following info as well with the heaters I suggested.
They are made for grow rooms and are splash proof. The little ones that I have are one foot long and 30W. A two foot one takes 60W. Due to their low wattage they're not super effective and heat very much. I wouldn't use these in a really cold grow room. Well, actually maybe I would, several of them and spread them out.

I’m using a oil filled electric heater with a thermostat on a timer, a nice even warm when lights go out.

Calculating air is a top priority in my grows, keeps the bugs away along with white mold. I place my heater in front of bottom clip on oscillating fan I’ve got 2 + a tower fan facing the wall and a 440 sucking out any fumes to the attic and disperse thru a large attic fan 4 stories up. No smells !

Frogtown, welcome to the board. Sounds kinda like Murphy.

My grow (first) isn't in a tent but a shed that is roughly 8x10. I'm in the Michigan U.P. and racing cold temps before my plants are ready to harvest. I have been using a small heater that draws an advertised 250 watts.

Went I switched over to a 12/12 lighting schedule, the lights kick on at 8pm and back off at 8am to use the heat from the lights (LED's) at night when it is coldest. The shed is not insulated and has a peaked roof (for snow load) with vents. What I have found is that a combination of the lights and that little heater keep the temperature inside the shed roughly 20 degrees warmer than outside. Looking at my remote thermometer shows it being 56.3F in the shed right now at 6:30 am. That's not exactly ideal growing temperature but with the recent weather I'd be willing to bet I would have lost all of my plants already if they were being grown outdoors. Just note how little supplemental heat is needed though I am not into "winter" yet. We hit -34 last year.

I really like the looks of that heater nickeluring posted up. Link please. The one I'm using is basically a toaster with a small attached fan. It is not tent friendly. A small electric oil filled radiator might do the trick but room inside a tent seems like a limiting factor.

I will probably try a winter grow after I harvest this first crop. I've got some free bag seed that wont make me cry if it fails. The shed is going to be buried in snow with no access so I'll try it in a tent inside the unheated garage. For me the challenge is going to be supplying fresh air while maintaining temperatures. Heating a tent with whatever means while pumping single digit or lower temp air into it just doesn't seem feasible.

I bought all of the material to build a grow room inside the garage but really don't want to give up the space. If I do go that route I'll just use electric baseboard heaters on a thermostat. As for the tent, my current idea is to pre-heat the air prior to it entering the tent. I'll be chasing my tail heating air that ends up back outside the tent so I'll limit the air flow.

Another concern is large heat swings. When it's "cold" and the system is chugging along just fine, the thermostat hits the high limit and shuts down. The heater turns off and the temps should start dropping pretty darned quick. The thermostat hits the low point and kicks the heater back on, what is the lag time and inside tent temps? I guess I could wrap my tent in a down mummy sleeping bag lolol.

I'm in Europe, and I ordered my heaters online from England. Heaters
You might find something similar in the US.

Also, you could get some yoga mats or styrofoam of some kind. They do a decent job of insulating the floor. I have cut yoga mats to fit the floor of my tents.

I really like the looks of that heater nickeluring posted up. Link please. The one I'm using is basically a toaster with a small attached fan. It is not tent friendly. A small electric oil filled radiator might do the trick but room inside a tent seems like a limiting factor.

Mine is similar, but probably ok in a tent. I'm inside in the basement, so I doubt I'll need it much, if at all really.

I'm in Europe, and I ordered my heaters online from England. Heaters
You might find something similar in the US.

Plug was a dead giveaway. :D

As soon as I saw your original post I looked all over amazon to no avail. I really like those though, and hope I can find similar somewhere here on the west side of the pond.

Also, you could get some yoga mats or styrofoam of some kind. They do a decent job of insulating the floor. I have cut yoga mats to fit the floor of my tents.

This is a fantastic idea.

Back
Top Bottom