What's the best heater to use for growing weed cannabis in winter?

DrBigP

High, how are you? I’m going to do a winter indoor tent grow in about a month or so and never done it in winter, ❄️ . What’s the best heater to use in my tent, which is 1meter squared and it’s 2 meters tall. It just needs to keep everything alive. Please help.

I have used a Comfort Zone Model CZ442 for two years now still working great for me.

I have used a Comfort Zone Model CZ442 for two years now still working great for me.
How do you use it, settings ect. Do you leave it running all day and night? Timer ⏲ ect?

I leave on 24hr. It has a thermostat on the top of it, along with fan only or low and high heat. So is setting the thermostat when it hits temp the heater part shuts off and fan just keeps running. Never hurts to move air around when heater not needed.

High, how are you? I’m going to do a winter indoor tent grow in about a month or so and never done it in winter, ❄️ . What’s the best heater to use in my tent, which is 1meter squared and it’s 2 meters tall. It just needs to keep everything alive. Please help.
Morning @MrBigP. I only grow in the winter, much cheaper to heat your space then it is to cool it. I use a ceramic heater also with the high, low and fan only switch. It set on the floor on a large ceramic tile, setting is low heat and it is on 24/7. The difference with my set up is that the heater is plugged into a remote thermostat that is mounted at the same height as my leaf canopy. This gives me the temps. I want right where it should be for the plants. works well and unless it is really cold out then when lights are on the heater seldom cuts in. I am also growing in hydro and again when really cold I will place my air pump in the room. A fair sized pump so it makes a bit of heat. Good luck with your growing and hope this helps.:lot-o-toke:

is the tent in a heated or semi-heated space ? if it's a tent, you won't be heating the tent area, you'll be heating the area the tent is in to be successful.

also a lot will depend on your climate. it's currently well below freezing here.

if you are in an unheated but enclosed space - ie an unheated out building or garage, then it would would be better to build an insulated enclosed space or cabinet, and heat that.

Morning @MrBigP. I only grow in the winter, much cheaper to heat your space then it is to cool it.

this right here. only northern growers get that.

I use a ceramic heater also with the high, low and fan only switch. It set on the floor on a large ceramic tile, setting is low heat and it is on 24/7. The difference with my set up is that the heater is plugged into a remote thermostat that is mounted at the same height as my leaf canopy. This gives me the temps. I want right where it should be for the plants. works well and unless it is really cold out then when lights are on the heater seldom cuts in. I am also growing in hydro and again when really cold I will place my air pump in the room. A fair sized pump so it makes a bit of heat. Good luck with your growing and hope this helps.

this is the better way to do it. in veg i use a small space heater on a set thermostat. it's all i need to keep it in check.

C
is the tent in a heated or semi-heated space ? if it's a tent, you won't be heating the tent area, you'll be heating the area the tent is in to be successful.

also a lot will depend on your climate. it's currently well below freezing here.

if you are in an unheated but enclosed space - ie an unheated out building or garage, then it would would be better to build an insulated enclosed space or cabinet, and heat that.

this right here. only northern growers get that.

this is the better way to do it. in veg i use a small space heater on a set thermostat. it's all i need to keep it in check.
ant I put the heater in the tent?

Cant I put the heater in the tent?

can you? yes. will it help? only god knows.
we humans would need way more info to be able to tell.

cannabis essentially stalls out at 14c or 57f. it'll hang around just fine until about 8c or 46f but pretty much goes dormant. it won't recover or grow until it gets above 14c again. if it gets below 8c for any extended time it's dead.

you can help it out by keeping the root zone above the air temp with heat mats etc, but it's a hard battle, and you definitely won't be flowering well.

i know loads of folk who built grow cabinets for the garage. they heat the cabinets, and use the heat from the lights to help. most heat the garage as well, but not like the house. just to about 10c or so. the cabinets are heated with a small space heater.

i used to build custom cob rigs specific for the cabinets. i worked with a carpenter. we built custom grow cabs.

cannabis essentially stalls out at 14c or 57f. it'll hang around just fine until about 8c or 46f but pretty much goes dormant. it won't recover or grow until it gets above 14c again. if it gets below 8c for any extended time it's dead.

you can help it out by keeping the root zone above the air temp with heat mats etc, but it's a hard battle, and you definitely won't be flowering well.
I figured. I’ve tried it once and they kept dying, put a heater in the tent, it just isn’t enough, you actually need under floor heating… so will a reptile heating mat work?

I figured. I’ve tried it once and they kept dying, put a heater in the tent, it just isn’t enough, you actually need under floor heating… so will a reptile heating mat work?

they can take a cooler air temp if the root zone stays at 24c . most mats can't create that amount of heat safely. if they're on concrete, get them up off it. if they are in a cooler area, you'll have to heat the whole area.

if you average 14c or under on a steady basis, you'll have to ditch the tent, build an insulated grow cab, and heat that.

edit : the tents are not designed to hold heat.

Heat the space around the tent. If you put the heater in the tent you will have uneven heat. Anything close to it will burn, like leaves and tent walls. Then further away from the source the heat will escape through the cold walls. Don't use ceramic heaters in tight spaces. That lesson cost me a house and everything I owned. Use oil filled radiant if you go with a space heater. Safer and a more even heat.

If you do a heater you're going to need a humidifier because a heater will make a grow bone dry

Back
Top Bottom