Zdro's First Grow - Auto Jack Herer - Winter 2015

zdro

Hi all, first time grower, here's the specs:

Auto Jack Herer (Crop King)
70% sativa, 20% Indica, 10% magic
#1 germinated 2015-12-10
#2 germinated 2015-12-20
Indoor Cabinet 40x24x36
Soil: Mark’s Choice Premium Container Soil (peat humus, light & dark Canadian sphagnum peat moss, compost, perlite and calcinated clay)
Starter pots: small peat pots
Veg/flower pots: 5gal fabric
6X 32w cfl + 2X 23w cfl in DIY housing reflector (will modify in later stages, original intent was one plant)
Light period 22/2
Air extraction to house hrv
Cab temp/hum. 75-80F, 40-50%
Soil/water ph 6.5-7.0
Seedling watering daily, tap water ph 7.0-7.5 (with house water softener)
Nutrients:TBD

Backstory: So I got re-introduced to the sweet herb after a 15 year hiatus (I think I needed to mature a bit lol). Weed turned into a huge negative in my life...well I was in the negative and it wasent helping. But recently I tried again with the new and improved version of me and it actually reinvigorated me in a way I didn't expect. Now since I don't like trusting/funding people I don't know, and I'm a consumate DIYer and hobbyist, I've found a new mini obsession to keep me busy that isn't mechanical for a change (although I really got off on the planning and building of the lights and space of course). I've never taken care of any living thing in my life before. So here goes something...

Pics of the setup: re-purposed kitchen cabinet, while only 36" tall the top can be opened to install the lights above if so lucky. Custom light reflector box made from workshop scraps (birch ply and air duct sheet metal, high reflection white paint, new and old light junction boxes, recycled wire and porcelain light fixtures at 1.50$ a pop)...all wired to code of course :grinjoint: . The unit is hung using adjustable cam straps. I had originally intended this unit for a single plant, so will have to modify when they get bigger.
IMG_20151221_213122.jpg

IMG_20151221_213253.jpg

First log, first problem....

So here goes, the start and first issue:

#1 and #2 are actually the second and third seeds. The first hatched using Cropkings recommendation of a 12-18 hour soak, then the wet paper towel method. I didn't have a great setup for providing decent temps, darkness and ventilation, so once I saw the tail hatch out, I promptly planted it in soil in the small cup. Well it never broke the soil, and I think it stunted and rotted over the week because I could not even differentiate it with the junk in the potting mix (I think I buried it too deep, or may have overheated with a heating pad/lamp).

So #1 and #2 used the water soak again, but this time I planted more shallow and could verify the seeds were opening after 18hours. Within a couple of days they respectively broke ground in my grow cabinet under the lights.

But....I think #1 is having its first troubles. Like any new overzealous parent, I was most likely watering too frequently. The soil and pot seem to drain quite well and with the lower humidity I ended up watering twice daily up until two days ago. That is when I noticed a very strong curl in the new leaves. Since I've stopped watering (beside a gentle mist to the top soil as its starting to get almost Sandy dry), the leaves still look bloated (maybe?) and have gotten a lighter green, almost like a tinge of yellow may be developing at the edges. Pics below were taken today, 2 days after reduced watering. The size has not changed significantly in a few days which has me concerned, like it stalled. Any thoughts?
IMG_20151221_213400-01.jpeg
IMG_20151221_213340.jpg

Re: First log, first problem....

Day later....

#2 shot out about half an inch since this morning :yahoo:

#1 is getting a little worse, more yellowing, no growth, seemed to turn towards the light (I had left it a bit offset). I gave it a small superficial watering (argh can't help it), seems really dry. The soil was behaving a bit weird, like there's surface tension from all the organic material on top and wouldn't soak in for a few seconds. I'm wondering why it developed so low to the soil.
IMG_20151222_171256.jpg
IMG_20151222_171231.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom