Zinkopig's Unknown Collection CFL LST First Grow

You could give them a nice foliar spray, i heard that relieves their stress or something. I'd think about raising the lights before the plants get too close and burn. Overall they're lookin really good.

you need good air flow between the top of your plants and the light if you choose to have the cfl's really close, im always checkin my plants/light with my hand to see if its too hot or the air flow could be better. good luck anyway bud :ganjamon:

My birthday is coming up, wish my girlfriend would make me a gift like that!
I have thought of using HID but it's too expensive at the moment for me, even if the system would be gifted to me, too much hassle with the venting, you probably won't be able to manage 400w/600w HID with computer fans?

But im still jelous! As much as i have read nothing beats having a good HID system

:peace:

too much hassle with the venting, you probably won't be able to manage 400w/600w HID with computer fans?

But im still jelous! As much as i have read nothing beats having a good HID system

:peace:

Got a basement and a box fan? You'd be surprised - especially if your basement stays around 58F. And a decent 400-watt MH setup - such as one with a Lumatek ballast - actually produces less heat than the CFL bulbs that it takes to produce the same amount of light (and in a 600-watt HPS, I would say the ratio is slightly better, although I've not screwed around enough with the non-contact thermo "gun" to be certain) - while the heat that is produced is easier to manage as it is given off from a single object instead of many.

Well hello everyone it's been a while!

So now i have my ballast and all that good stuff hooked up in a some what temporary way (im waiting for those ratchet things to hang my light cant think of name smoking joint!)

I took tortured's advice and spent the extra 20 to get a MH and an HPS.
I guess i am not alowed to talk about where i got the bulb from (the mods take care of that kinda talk pretty quickly) but what i got was a cord set a mh an hps and a 400w lumatek ballast plug a reflector, that honestly isn't that bad. Of course i will end up upgrading it for heat reasons, i don't like the whole exposed bulb thing, but for now it's far more than i could ask for.

As you can notice in the pix i transplanted 4 plants, four into big square pots and 1 into a round pot. Im going to go buy 3 more ports for those poor rootbound babies in the small pots. I bought happy frog soil, and incase i didn't mention it, the first 4 went into FFOF, 1 went into a mix of MG and FFOF(very very little MG). All got 30% roughly perlite.
The other 3 are going into happy frog. Assuming a get at least one female from HF and FFOF this will be a great comparsion of the 2 for my next grow and for anyone who is interested.

I only have one strip of cfls set up and i plan on keeping it that way, they fill in the one dark spot i could find.

The lumatek 400w does what it says it does. Runs silent and cool. The kit came with a nice long cord and was beyond simple to set up.

Heat off the light was immediatly an issue. When i first set it up my temps jumped right to 90 pushing for 95 within minutes of the light being on. I experimented and experimented some more, and now i have my temp hovering at 80-82 slightly dropping when the central air kicks in.
I have a box fan blowing on the light, a pc fan blowing on the light, and on the other side i have hund my bathroom fan to draw air off. And an occilating fan for the girls, because it has done fkn wonders for the stems :)

I have sexed one so far, identifying two beautiful white hairs on each side of the fourth node :) doing about 1 more week under the MH 24/0 and then it's the GE HPS 12/12

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Heat not really an issue right now, ive got it fairly under control. But let me tell ya i have things working for me that really help. My closet has a normal sized aircondition vent, so i can easily pump cold air in at anytime (i have closed all vents except the closet:) My closet is big and not crowded, air doesn't get trapped. I live with only my girlfriend in a house so if guests come over obviously i quiet the grow down and close the doors, but 99% of the time the closet door is open, and 60% of the time the room with the closet is open to the whole house... The open bulb however is not a good thing and would only recommend it if it's temporary. I could have my plants alot closer if i had a cooltube or the like.

OH I HAVE A ? :)
Why do ppl complain about the cost of FF soils? I got these 2 bags for 6 bucks each. The big as bag is 15 and the 3x3 BIG ASS BAG was 23. Is that actually expensive for such good soil? Or am i getting a killer deal @ the nursery?

Thats about all i can think of right now. Comments and questions greatly appreciated.

PICS

Bathroom fan on side of light
IMG_13624.JPG

IMG_13616.JPG

IMG_13595.JPG

MMMMM i think im in love with this shaggy little thing. This one got topped a long time ago because it grew into those pesky cfls :)
IMG_13585.JPG

Just cause i got HID don't mean this isn't a ghetto grow no more folks.
IMG_13573.JPG

In need of new homes!
IMG_13566.JPG

IMG_13554.JPG

Damn she sure did love that LST!! (Im done doing that now though) THIS IS THE CONFIRMED FEMALE :) and also my fav
IMG_13542.JPG

IMG_13523.JPG

Here is power. Lights came on March 8th. 23wat cfl x 12 + fans, hundifier.
Yesterday (April 7th the last day on this chart) i kicked on the 400w MH, and kept 3x 23w cfls going + fans and humidifier.
dnc-81mxf7fg.png

Okay so i guess quite a bit has happened since i posted in this journal (i still come to 420 every day lol).
I transplanted my 4 females into 5 gallon buckets, about a week into 12/12 i got a Hermie and pulled it immediately, and i didn't catch it quick enough i guess because i have found a seed here and there on all 3 remaining females :(. Oh well, this was an experiment anyway...

We are moving early august and will have a whole room dedicated to this, i plan on buy 12 seeds of the best strains out now and a 1000w mh/hps... Should be fun.
Here are some pix of the girls today is day 29 in 12/12 they went into flower on 4/20.
Heres some pix, hopefully this journal gets more active now that the ladies are gettin sexier im down for some good convo...

Day 29 (today)
IMG_011311.JPG

IMG_01077.JPG

IMG_01045.JPG

IMG_00988.JPG

IMG_00934.JPG

IMG_00929.JPG

IMG_00904.JPG

IMG_00895.JPG

Day 28 (yesterday)

IMG_00306.jpg

IMG_002412.jpg

IMG_002312.jpg

IMG_000911.jpg

IMG_000714.jpg

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Sending you lots of positive energy through the Universe.

Back
Top Bottom