New Guy From The Ozarks Looking For Advice!

WillieT0813

Hey everyone, new guy here. I have already introduced myself so I will jump right in.
You may as well call me a new grower. I just turned 57 in December and when I was younger I tried a few times to grow outdoors but at that time in my young life just out of the Army I thought I new all about it. WRONG! So now I live alone with my dogs in my travel trailer and I have room on the end where the 3 bunk beds are. I am fixing to remove them and put in an indoor grow tent. I have been doing major research for what I need in my situation. What I have decided I need for the area in my travel trailer due to size of my area is as follows. I like the energy efficiency of the LED lights. So this is the setup I have chosen so far.

King Plus 1200w LED Grow Light Double Chips Full Spectrum with UV and IR for Greenhouse Indoor Plant Veg and Flower

VIVOSUN 48"x24"x60" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2'x4'

Growsun 6 Inch 400 CFM Inline Carbon Filter Fan Combo for Grow Tent, Fan has a Speed Controller

I will be using Coco Choir (coconut fiber) for my grow medium.

Will be using the VIVOSUN - 1/8 inch Adjustable Heavy Duty Rope Hangers that have reinforced Metal Internal Gears, Loose-proof Design, 8-ft Long & 150lbs Weight Capacity ( Upgraded Version ) to hang my light.

Soil pH Meter, Jellas 3-in-1 Moisture Sensor Meter / Sunlight / pH Soil Test Kits test function for Home and Garden, Plants, Farm, Indoor/Outdoor Use.

AcuRite 00613 Humidity Monitor with Indoor Thermometer, Digital Hygrometer and Humidity Gauge Indicator

For my eyes, the Apollo Horticulture UV400 Fit and Wear Over my Prescription Glasses and are designed to use when LED Grow Lights are used. These Glasses are a must for Intense LED lighting Visual Eye Protection

As for nutes, I have not decide which brand to use.

So this is what I have chosen as my tent grow setup. Any and all sugestions are welcome. And remember, I am a disabled Army Vet on a fixed income. This is pushing my budget to the max but it can be done. I will then order seeds online and will go with femminized seeds. I plan on going with 5 gallon flower pots. For the size of the grow tent I think I will have no more than 2 plants at a time so hopefully the lower buds will get plenty of light with little to no shadowing. As I put my grow tent setup together and get everything in place I will be asking a ton of questions.

Hi. Looks like you've done some homework.

You will find that the 3-1 soil meter is crap for just about everything but checking relative dampness. Since you are using coco, your grow medium can't be allowed to dry out, which means even that part is useless.

I suggest separate PH and EC meters along with PH Up/Down. These are for testing your water. Very important.

Ventilation - Get an extractor fan with charcoal filter (4" should be alright) and some ducting. Get another (just the fan) for one of the bottom openings to bring air in. It should be a lot less expensive than the one for extraction. Some small computer or clip on fans for inside the tent.

Your light is really meant for a 4x4 tent, but it should be alright in a 2x4.

Keep a journal. That is a basic. If you do one on-line here, people will help you.

It's a lot of fun. Your going to love it :cheer:

Hey Calvados, thanks for the reply. I have a 6 inch fan with carbon filter listed in my post and I changed that on my shopping list to a 4 inch setup. I also dropped my light down to a 1000w LED. I'm thinking I will go with Fox Farms nutes. Now as for PH, will I need to test it if I'm using distilled water? Also, only growing two plants can i drop my LED's down and use 2 lights to be sure I get as much light coverage on both plants as I can? If yes staying with LED what size to be sure I get the right amount of light to as much of the complete plant as possible!

Hey Calvados, thanks for the reply. I have a 6 inch fan with carbon filter listed in my post and I changed that on my shopping list to a 4 inch setup. I also dropped my light down to a 1000w LED. I'm thinking I will go with Fox Farms nutes. Now as for PH, will I need to test it if I'm using distilled water? Also, only growing two plants can i drop my LED's down and use 2 lights to be sure I get as much light coverage on both plants as I can? If yes staying with LED what size to be sure I get the right amount of light to as much of the complete plant as possible!

You want a light that covers the footprint of your tent (rectangle 2x4). The light description will tell you the footprint for veg and flower (not the same). Pay attention to the flowering footprint. It's not as straight forward as picking the right watts. There is a big difference between crappy LEDs and quality ones. I have 2 x 900W Mars Hydro II for a 4x4 tent. It is total overkill, but I got the lights second hand for a stupid price. I am really happy with them. To answer your question - 2 square 450w - 600w medium quality LED should work fine.

If you have the time, you should google or read some of the lighting threads on here that explain the science of it. As for a brand there are tons of opinions. I had a quick look at yours and I wasn't impressed. From memory you want a par value in flowering of 700 plus. I don't think your footprint will cover that after you adjust the height. It's also handy to have a Veg/Bloom switch. The main thing to pay attention to is relative quality and flowering footprint. I would check the Par value for the recommended height to verify the footprint. That will tell you how good your light is. Having said all of that I have seen some very impressive plants in journals on this site with lights that I would consider to be crap. If you can't afford "the best" that is no reason not to grow. Reasons not to grow are things like it's illegal and your life would be ruined if you were caught, or you can't commit the time to grow the plants.

You always need to test your water. You mix your neuts in water and then adjust the PH to the correct level for the medium. They are all different. You can also test the runoff. You don't need to use distilled water. You can, but you don't need to.

I use Canna Terra Pro Plus grow medium, which is not the same as Coco. The neuts, PH of the water, how you water are different. Whichever neuts you use make sure they are consistent with the medium, because there are differences. There is a whole section on here on how to grow in Coco Coco Growing. As a brand Foxfire has a decent reputation. Like anything else there are lots of opinions. I like my medium, because the watering schedule is looser than coco, so I have less of a commitment to physically be here.

Also if you are growing plants that need 12/12 light to flower (not auto), you need a timer to regulate the light. You can spend as much money as you want, but I found that an inexpensive manual one does the job just fine.

5 gallon pots are perfect for 2 plants in your tent, if you train the plants to fill out the space. It's all about creating an even canopy.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I can go with a 2x2 and grow one plant. I am disabled and retired so I am home all the time. I have a 8 x 28 foot travel trailer in the country and it's just me and my two dogs. Big dog outside and small indoor dog. The area that I am going to use for this is where the 3 bunk beds are. I am fixing to remove them. That area is 29 inches by 74 inches long and 74 inches tall. I am here to get your advice. I want to do this right. Being on a fixed income I don't need to blow or waste my money. Again I am here to learn to do this right the first time. I can go to one plant at a time in a 2x2. In the future I will be building a cabin but for now I need advice on setting up a small grow tent in my camper. My total complete max budget could be 650 but I want to keep it down to 500 so I can order seeds. The local stuff when there is anything is not good. I have an account on Amazon where I am looking and making a list to order from. I would like to have the grow area ready by the end of next month. Y'all have suggestions on what I need to order from there please feel free. As for going online and researching this, I am. That is also why I am here. I what the advice from those of you that know more about it than me. Again thanks for the help. Also I am not doing this to sell, I am doing it for my personal use. That's why I said I can go with a smaller tent and grow one at a time. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I can go with a 2x2 and grow one plant. I am disabled and retired so I am home all the time. I have a 8 x 28 foot travel trailer in the country and it's just me and my two dogs. Big dog outside and small indoor dog. The area that I am going to use for this is where the 3 bunk beds are. I am fixing to remove them. That area is 29 inches by 74 inches long and 74 inches tall. I am here to get your advice. I want to do this right. Being on a fixed income I don't need to blow or waste my money. Again I am here to learn to do this right the first time. I can go to one plant at a time in a 2x2. In the future I will be building a cabin but for now I need advice on setting up a small grow tent in my camper. My total complete max budget could be 650 but I want to keep it down to 500 so I can order seeds. The local stuff when there is anything is not good. I have an account on Amazon where I am looking and making a list to order from. I would like to have the grow area ready by the end of next month. Y'all have suggestions on what I need to order from there please feel free. As for going online and researching this, I am. That is also why I am here. I what the advice from those of you that know more about it than me. Again thanks for the help. Also I am not doing this to sell, I am doing it for my personal use. That's why I said I can go with a smaller tent and grow one at a time. Thanks in advance for all the help.
If you can partition the area with 2×4's and panda film you can forego the tent and build it to your liking. Save some money there. You will need an extraction fan always go bigger and dial it down. An oscillating fan . Medium. Nutrients. Pots and of course light. Lot of economical options. Quantum boards by horticulture lighting group are a good start and not too expensive for the quality.

I am doing it for my personal use. That's why I said I can go with a smaller tent and grow one at a time. Thanks in advance for all the help.

I suppose it depends how much you use. My last grow I averaged 3 oz of buds per plant. Good growers will do much better than that. If you are doing everything in one space, you should figure 3 grows per year (veg = 5 weeks flower = 9 weeks drying = 2 weeks, so 16 weeks give or take). If you use 3/4 oz per month and you are a mediocre grower, one plant will do.

You can expect things to go wrong with your grow. You may lose a plant. You are safer growing two, but it means more space and a bit more expense. The difference in time between 1 and 2 plants is negligible. I've had two grows. I haven't lost a plant after seedling, and I am a truly awful gardener. I've damaged all of them one way or another, but even then I somehow got them to harvest. You sound sensible, so I don't think you'll have any problems. Keep a journal.

Your height is 5'. Can you stretch it to 6'? Figure 1 foot is used to hang and house your extractor/filter. The closest you will want your lights to the plants are 1 1/2 feet. Your pot will put your plant a foot off the ground. So all of that with a 5 foot tent makes your plants 1 1/2 feet tall. That's not terrible. What you do is train them to the side, so they are low to begin with when they start to stretch. I think you'd be happier with another foot. It will certainly increase your yield.

As for building your own area - I'm lousy at DIY and I couldn't make a poor substitute for what my tent cost. I found the pre-cut holes, vents, the ease of putting it up and taking it down, outweighed any pluses I would have building my own.

That's my two cents.

Before I had to go on disability I worked in construction so I could build a grow room there if it were feasible but it's not. There is a big window and a big roof dome vent. That's the reason for the grow tent. I have a huge street light in the front about 30 feet from the front of my camper. The tent is a black out tent so I won't have to try to make a room build a black out build. I will build a good grow room in the future when I build my cabin. I have made some changes to my shopping cart on amazon. I still need to add a timer for my light's. I have researched the lights etc is why they are in my cart. Is that the best quality? No but most of the items are rated well. If you want to look I have the links saved for everything in my cart. Its over my total budget for now but I can buy it all and will have to wait until my next payday to order some seeds. The local stuff here when you can find it is not good quality at all so I will find a good online seed shop and buy from there. Here is the url links to my items in my cart. Cart sub total is $616.55

VIVOSUN Stainless Steel Duct Clamps 6 inch (Pack of 2) - buying 2 packs for extras.

Hopkins SP570804 Go Gear 12 Volt Oscillating Fan

Advanced Nutrients Bloom Fertilizer, Micro and Grow, 500ml

Growsun 6 Inch 400 CFM Inline Carbon Filter Fan Combo for Grow Tent, Fans Speed Controller and 30 yard Duct Tape and 25-Feet Ducting Included
This exhaust setup has a fan speed control.

King Plus 600w Double Chips Led Grow Light Full Spectrum with UV and IR for Greenhouse and Indoor Plant Flowering Growing
These lights (I'm getting 2 of them) are rated quite high. I found them doing a Google search for the best LED grow lights.

Light Meter, GoerTek Digital Luxmeter Illuminance Meter Handheld Actionometer Foot Candle Meter High Accuracy(±4%) with LCD Display One 9V Battery Included Range 0.1 - 200,000 Lux/0.01 - 20,000 Fc

Moisture Meter,THZY Indoor/Outdoor Moisture Sensor Meter,soil water monitor, Hydrometer for gardening, farming

VANTAKOOL Digital PH Meter, 0.01 PH High Accuracy Water Quality Tester with 0-14 PH Measurement Range for Household Drinking, Pool and Aquarium Water PH Tester Design with ATC (yellow)

VIVOSUN - 6 Pairs 1/8 inch Adjustable Heavy Duty Rope Hanger - Reinforced Metal Internal Gears, Loose-proof Design, 8-ft Long & 150lbs Weight Capacity ( Upgraded Version )

Travel Trailer Lock, White
I bought my camper used and there was no key for the door lock so I and changing out the lock.

Canna Organic Coco Substrate Bag RHP Certified, 50 L

VIVOSUN 48"x24"x60" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2'x4'
I like this grow tent for several reasons. I like that the frame is all metal and has no plastic.

AcuRite 00613 Humidity Monitor with Indoor Thermometer, Digital Hygrometer and Humidity Gauge Indicator

Apollo Horticulture UV400 Fit Wear Cover Over Prescription Glasses Wearer Indoor Growing Hydroponics LED Grow Light Room Glasses for Intense LED lighting Visual Eye Protection - LEDGrower2
Getting 2 pair.

Ok new edit: I changed the grow medium to this,
50 Liter Bag - Terra Professional Plus - Soil Mix - CANNA TERRAPROPLUS50L
And I added a timer for my lights. Cart sub is now $651 and some change so the coco has been removed from my cart on amazon.

Good list. This will work.

Grow Medium - This is a great thread about your chosen grow medium. Soil conundrum!? The only negative I have is that my second grow had thrips and fungus gnats, which I assumed I had somehow let into the grow tent. I'm now pretty sure that they were already in the medium. I don't know. They were a pain in the ass compounded by the type of pots I was using.

Pots - Did I miss them?

Meters - Maybe get this one for light and damp?

Soil pH Meter, Jellas 3-in-1 Moisture Sensor Meter / Sunlight / pH Soil Test Kits test function for Home and Garden, Plants, Farm, Indoor/Outdoor Use

1666165198496.png

Save some money. I don't think you need the light meter, but you will have the one on the water meter to play with. The PH part of the multi-meter is useless.

Lights - Useful light is measured by PAR value. This is the diagram for your 600W light.
Par_Value_King_600W.jpg

You will be able to bloom in the 700-1000 range with no problem.

Tent - If you can go a foot higher I would.

Nutrients - I love the pictures on the bottles. I've never used them, but I've heard favourable reviews. I don't understand the automatic PH adjustment and that has me concerned. Canna Terra is not normal potting soil and requires a PH of between 5.8 and 6.2 depending on what stage of the grow you are in. You need to adjust your water to that level after you add all of the nutrients. I assume that the PH adjustment in the neuts keeps it at the level you set, but I've not read that anywhere. So it's a worry.

I would add some CalMag (calcium and magnesium) in addition to what you've got. It's the Robotussin of weed food. You also want some root stimlator for your seedlings (mycorrhizae). It looks like there are additional nutrients that you can add later. Aside from Cal/Mag and a root stimulator I would stick to the same brand.

PH up/down. You will need this. Get the small bottles, because a little goes a very long way. Apparently you can use household chemicals to make the adjustments, but I've not tried that. Frankly, adjusting the PH is too important a step to screw around.

Hey Willie! I made it over here finally. I see you've been a busy beaver. You did some great research. I agree with everything Calvados has suggested. He's all over it, like a fat boy on a cookie!

If I can offer one suggestion, like Calvados already did, I would recommend as tall a tent as you can get. You'll find out quickly that not enough head room can be a royal PITA.

Other than that, I would also ask you to check out some of the other LED sponsors on this site to compare prices. You might be able to get a comparable LED for a little less money. They all offer a tiny discount.

Get a journal started brother. It's one of the best ways to learn. It keeps me motivated and I've met some of the best growers in the world here.

Hooah!

Hey Willie, I recommend looking at this journal done with a king plus 1000w before choosing your light LED Auto

For the size of space you're looking at, I recommend a 150w HID setup unless you're willing to go with fusion boards or Quantum boards. It is entirely possible to get good results with the cheap led's but they are NOT by any means cheaper or more efficient than an equivalent HID set up. The king plus produces LOTS of heat. As do most cheap panels.

Do a little more research on light and please discuss here before purchasing because we would hate for you to waste your $

Ok so everyone knows my situation, I live in a 1997 travel trailer that is 8x28. I live in my travel trailer on my brothers place. I have a dog inside and one outside. I have a master bedroom on one end. On the other end is a bunk area with 3 bunk beds. That end of the camper has a rounded roof at the end wall so I actually loose a foot of length. I am going to take the 3 bunks out and make that my grow area. I only have 3 people that come to visit and they smoke so no problems there. Now the measurements for this area are 74 inches from floor to ceiling and 29 inches from the wall out and total length of the bunks are 74 inches but the way the end wall and ceiling are made I loose about a foot so I have about 62 inches total length. I have a total MAX budget of $650. That will include money to order good seeds to. The only internet I have is on my phone so I am limited at times on what I can look at online. Some sites are not that mobile friendly. Shorti as for my lights I have no problems with getting the right equipment now but I do need to also think about energy usage. I live in a camper, a.c. in the summer and electric heat in the winter and running a grow tent I will need to think as energy efficient as I can. My fixed income will only go so far. As for building a grow room in the area I have would be difficult because of a roof vent and a big window that are both in the way. I don't and will not skimp on lights,etc that is why I am here to get all the help and advice I can. The 2x4x60 tent I picked I did so to maybe grow 2 plants at a time. I can go with a 2x2 and grow only one at a time if I have too. I am working on my VA Disability increase and in the future I will take my back pay and buy a 16x40 cabin and will build a grow room in my bedroom but that's in my future. I may have to just buy a few items a month until I get it all then start my grow. So that's my situation. As always ALL advice and suggestions are welcome.
Also I have an instagram, well I have 2 but I set one up last night and set it to private. If you want to see my pics of my camper I have some posted there. Just look for williet0813 if you have an instagram account and send me a friend request and I will accept it. Then you can see the area that will be turned into my grow area. I looked on here but couldn't see where I could post pics of my camper here.

Ok so everyone knows my situation, I live in a 1997 travel trailer that is 8x28. I live in my travel trailer on my brothers place. I have a dog inside and one outside. I have a master bedroom on one end. On the other end is a bunk area with 3 bunk beds. That end of the camper has a rounded roof at the end wall so I actually loose a foot of length. I am going to take the 3 bunks out and make that my grow area. I only have 3 people that come to visit and they smoke so no problems there. Now the measurements for this area are 74 inches from floor to ceiling and 29 inches from the wall out and total length of the bunks are 74 inches but the way the end wall and ceiling are made I loose about a foot so I have about 62 inches total length. I have a total MAX budget of $650. That will include money to order good seeds to. The only internet I have is on my phone so I am limited at times on what I can look at online. Some sites are not that mobile friendly. Shorti as for my lights I have no problems with getting the right equipment now but I do need to also think about energy usage. I live in a camper, a.c. in the summer and electric heat in the winter and running a grow tent I will need to think as energy efficient as I can. My fixed income will only go so far. As for building a grow room in the area I have would be difficult because of a roof vent and a big window that are both in the way. I don't and will not skimp on lights,etc that is why I am here to get all the help and advice I can. The 2x4x60 tent I picked I did so to maybe grow 2 plants at a time. I can go with a 2x2 and grow only one at a time if I have too. I am working on my VA Disability increase and in the future I will take my back pay and buy a 16x40 cabin and will build a grow room in my bedroom but that's in my future. I may have to just buy a few items a month until I get it all then start my grow. So that's my situation. As always ALL advice and suggestions are welcome.
Also I have an instagram, well I have 2 but I set one up last night and set it to private. If you want to see my pics of my camper I have some posted there. Just look for williet0813 if you have an instagram account and send me a friend request and I will accept it. Then you can see the area that will be turned into my grow area. I looked on here but couldn't see where I could post pics of my camper here.
HID will give you much more and much higher quality of light while producing less heat at the wattages you're talking about running. If energy efficiency is what you're looking at, your top 3 options for the space listed would be Horticulture Lighting Group "Quantum Board", Fusion Boards by Photonfantomdesigns or a 150w HID.

I have run Mars Hydro led throughout my growing career and have great success(0.8 grams per watt with the cheap $64 300w panels, I used 2 in a 2x2) which is why I recommend HID. A 150w HID will be ultimately cheaper with way less of a chance of breaking down on you. I also have 150w HID and they run cooler than my Mars 300w(135 true watts) which is what I find weird.

I now use a Mars Reflector 48 in my hydro tent. Output vs price ratio for this light is really poor, but it only runs 100 watts and I plan to put it to the test and see what I can produce with it.

I'm sure more people will give their input regarding lights, but my suggestion will be to stick with HID until you have the funding to invest in top tech LED's. I can guarantee that you will be looking for a new light in no time at all if you get the king plus. There's also a really high possibility of it breaking down leaving you stranded.

I hope you make a safe and informed decision.

Also in a 2x2 you will only need one light.

In a 2x4 you are best to use multiple lights to achieve a better light spread. The Mars ECO series are really good for the price point and are similar to the pcb tech out right now.

In fact Mars ECO series may be an all around good choice for you based on efficiency.

Hey Shorti working on a new list now. Picked out a 2x2x56. That's as tall as I could find. Now looking at hid's. I read somewhere that you need two bulbs and you change them out on the different grow cycles. I will post a new list when finished with it.

If you buy an HID that works with both HPS and MH... Some fixtures only work for one or the other but some work for both and you use MH during veg and HPS during flower. The Eco models would be a good route or the reflectors if you are interested with LED that is which for a 2x2 that's what id recommend an led. If you go with a 2x2 I'd say grab the Mars hydro eco98 (200W light) and that should work well. A 2x2 is pretty small to be cramming HID into it'll probably get very warm. The thing to consider with HID I'd you will need to change the bulbs after every 2-3 grows some people just do it ever year some do it every set number of grows because they lose their intensity over time even if they have died out and broke on you.

Really though with that budget you should have no problem getting a nice small setup. The tents like 60$ the lights 160-200$ ventilation is another 60-120$ depending on if you want a filter or not and the type of fans you buy for the inside of the tent itself. Soil is another 30-40$ nutrients another 20-40$ fabric pots another 5$ humidity/temp gage 5$ ratchet hangers are another 3-5$ fem seeds are another 30-50$. That's only a bit over the budget and that's everything you need for the most part give or take a few possible items. Plus after the first harvest you recoup everything and actually profit... Every grow after that is strictly profit. A 200W LED like the eco98 could yield you 150-200 grams in a 2x2 with a single plant depending on genetics and training. Some may even be able to squeeze a bit more but that's more professional type experience, I purchase everything through my phone too.. If you'd like I can link you to some items I'd recommend and buy personally.

Hey brother I am working on my list now. Will be for a 2x2x56 also can i go with a 4 inch carbon filter and fan combo? I think it is like 190 cfm

Yes that'll be perfect for a 2x2 here is what id personally buy for the 2x2 this fan is cheap and will work just like you need it to work for a 2x2 -
VIVOSUN 195 CFM 4" Inch Inline Ventilation Duct Fan. As for the filter I'd use this VIVOSUN 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal for Inline Fan, Pre-filter Included, Reversible Flange

This would also work but Ipower inline fans are rather loud and I'm not a fan you just don't need that strong of a fan for small areas. iPower 4" 6" 8" inch Inline Fan Carbon Air Filter Ducting Combo HPS Grow

Again either would work I'd personally aim for the vivosun though... The fan is a small plastic very quiet fan that can be hung easily. The Ipower fan is clunky heavy and metal plus it's high powered and loud. I made the mistake of buying a 6" Ipower for my 4x2 and it was giving my tent insane negative pressure and my ears were suffering (I grow in a TT too so I aways heard the damn fan) then when I bought that 4 vivosun that was only 195cfm well it was bliss how quiet it was lol.

So I personally use the 4" Ipower carbon filter and I use the 4" vivosun fan and both work great for my 4x2 so it'll definitely work great for the 2x2.

Also you will need a couple clip on fans for the air in the tent itself... You want a fan on the plant at all times especially in flower you can hit them hard with airflow it definitely helps keep bugs away and keep the branches strong.

Also the vivosun fan comes completely in half with a simple twist so cleaning it after a grow is much easier than the giant clunk of metal the Ipower sells.

Back
Top Bottom