100% sativa any tips?

Hello I'm hash fart and I was curious about growing a sativa , I honestly hate sativa but I want to grow one just for learning and to impress family and friends,,,,,, the strain I'm going to try is called golden tiger x Panama, the info I read suggested that I do a 11/13 light cycle wich I find odd? And that the strain needs intense light and a slightly hotter environment, I will not be using hotsoil and will be using promix hp wich i know fairly well ,, and will be using Diablo nutrients ,,,, any tips on growing sativa please chime in ,,,I've always leaned towards indica or indica dominant strains ,,, thanks in advance sincerely brother hashfart

Kinda hard not to write a small book.... The basic ideas or stereotypes are that-
-Sativas are lighter feeders, known to grow taller, have thinner leaves, stretch for longer in early flowering, and take longer to finish.
-Indicas are heavier feeders, have stubby leaves, grow shorter and finish faster.

The high is different

Of course there are all kinds of shades in between and variations by region. Theres no real black and white. Also lots of people will say they are growing a ‘sativa’ when it’s actually just more of a 50/50 mix, or blatantly indica, but that’s what the breeder described it as.

I find the stereotypes pretty handy for describing weed though. How it grows and looks, and especially for describing the type of high.

As for the GT/Panama being 100% sativa. That’s probably debatable. To me the Panama didn’t seem like a pure sativa. I did also read somewhere in one of ACE’s own descriptions a few years back that there was plenty of Indica in the mix. But I’m not so familiar with the South American weed. The few strains that I’ve grown from there we’re also kind of more Indica feeling to me so maybe that’s just the way it is over there.

The Panama I grew acted more like a 60% sativa - where they were moderately stretchy, finished in 10 weeks, and the effect was more of a Indica high for me.
I didn’t actually like the stuff that much for that reason (don’t usually like smoking indica), but otherwise it was a beautiful plant. There are about three phenos I think but not radically different from each other.

I’ve grown out a few Golden Tigers and they were all more sativa than the Panama. 14-ish weeks flowering with well over a month of stretch. They have redesigned the GT strain quite a few times though, and it’s got quite a few phenotypes so it’s kind of hard to know what you’re going to get.

It’s a cross of Thai and Malawi.
Ace Malawi is more of a 12 week finisher while the pure Thai strains tend to be 16 weeks at the bare minimum.
Some GTs can be pretty stretchy so be prepared to do some training if you don’t have lots of space. But that cross probably won’t be too bad. I would guess a moderately stretchy plant with 12+ finish

For pure-ish sativas I use about 25 or 30% weaker feeding levels than the more Indica leaning plants. Where my heavy feeders max out at 1000- 1100 ppm, the most sativa ones will get 750 ppm. I’m using bottled nutes and I just water the same mix down.
I grew a Thai once that was unhappy with more than 650 ppm. Panama would starve at 750 and liked it somewhere in between- like 900ppm.

The point of the 11/13 schedule is to make them flower a little more decisively. Because they come from places close to the equator where seasons don’t vary all that much from a 12/12 schedule.
Like down by the south end of Thailand from what I remember the winter solstice is something like 11 1/2 hours daylight and the longest day of the year is maybe 12 1/2 or 13 hours.

So for a plant adapted to an area like that- 12/12 for them is just business as usual and they won’t start and finish as quickly or as decisively. They’ll linger at both ends and sometimes won’t even really ’finish’ flowering so much as just gradually sort of reveg or slowly turn more leafy again.

As for the Maui Waui- I haven’t grown any but it seems like they stick that label on a lot of different versions. You’d have to do the research to see what yours is really like but I wouldn’t expect it to be anything like a pure sativa 16-24 week flowering willow bush type of thing.

Kinda hard not to write a small book.... The basic ideas or stereotypes are that-
-Sativas are lighter feeders, known to grow taller, have thinner leaves, stretch for longer in early flowering, and take longer to finish.
-Indicas are heavier feeders, have stubby leaves, grow shorter and finish faster.

The high is different

Of course there are all kinds of shades in between and variations by region. Theres no real black and white. Also lots of people will say they are growing a ‘sativa’ when it’s actually just more of a 50/50 mix, or blatantly indica, but that’s what the breeder described it as.

I find the stereotypes pretty handy for describing weed though. How it grows and looks, and especially for describing the type of high.

As for the GT/Panama being 100% sativa. That’s probably debatable. To me the Panama didn’t seem like a pure sativa. I did also read somewhere in one of ACE’s own descriptions a few years back that there was plenty of Indica in the mix. But I’m not so familiar with the South American weed. The few strains that I’ve grown from there we’re also kind of more Indica feeling to me so maybe that’s just the way it is over there.

The Panama I grew acted more like a 60% sativa - where they were moderately stretchy, finished in 10 weeks, and the effect was more of a Indica high for me.
I didn’t actually like the stuff that much for that reason (don’t usually like smoking indica), but otherwise it was a beautiful plant. There are about three phenos I think but not radically different from each other.

I’ve grown out a few Golden Tigers and they were all more sativa than the Panama. 14-ish weeks flowering with well over a month of stretch. They have redesigned the GT strain quite a few times though, and it’s got quite a few phenotypes so it’s kind of hard to know what you’re going to get.

Ace Malawi is more of a 12 week finisher while the pure Thai strains tend to be 16 weeks at the bare minimum.
Some GTs can be pretty stretchy so be prepared to do some training if you don’t have lots of space. But that cross probably won’t be too bad. I would guess a moderately stretchy plant with 12+ finish

For pure-ish sativas I use about 25 or 30% weaker feeding levels than the more Indica leaning plants. Where my heavy feeders max out at 1000- 1100 ppm, the most sativa ones will get 750 ppm. I’m using bottled nutes and I just water the same mix down.
I grew a Thai once that was unhappy with more than 650 ppm. Panama would starve at 750 and liked it somewhere in between- like 900ppm.

The point of the 11/13 schedule is to make them flower a little more decisively. Because they come from places close to the equator where seasons don’t vary all that much from a 12/12 schedule.
Like down by the south end of Thailand from what I remember the winter solstice is something like 11 1/2 hours daylight and the longest day of the year is maybe 12 1/2 or 13 hours.

So for a plant adapted to an area like that- 12/12 for them is just business as usual and they won’t start and finish as quickly or as decisively. They’ll linger at both ends and sometimes won’t even really ’finish’ flowering so much as just gradually sort of reveg or slowly turn more leafy again.

As for the Maui Waui- I haven’t grown any but it seems like they stick that label on a lot of different versions. You’d have to do the research to see what yours is really like but I wouldn’t expect it to be anything like a pure sativa 16-24 week flowering willow bush type of thing.
@HopHead is growing sativas. You might want to check his thread. Beautiful plants. But yea tall and thin plants, that take forever to finish.

The high is different

First of all thanks for the informative reply brother! Learned alot in that little read! I was told the beans are 100% sativa I should of looked in to it a little harder, the breeder is ace seeds and they do claim 100% sativa , I did not know sativas are more nutrient sensitive, ill definitely will leaning off the Diablo feeding schedule slightly , to be honest I'm kinda amazed how different it is for growing a sativa I find it exciting, I will take your word and try to hit the 650ppm and feed more if she can handle it , I also find the reveg odd ?? They claim some kinda second wave of flowering ? How do you know when to chop ?

Thanks brother ill see if hophead will let me but in on one of his journals
Hey Hash, can't wait to see some beans pop. Sativas are a project worth watching. :cheer:

Hey Hash, can't wait to see some beans pop. Sativas are a project worth watching. :cheer:
Still a ways away my autos are just flowing and I popped more auto seeds , I wl try after these seedling complete and its warmer months , minus 30 something again today, just digging up info , I also got to look into Diablo nutrients
20210204_165545.jpg
20210204_165119.jpg

All I grow are pure pure sativa's. Have a look through my journal's. Outdoors though. Best tip is to let the plant get old. The older the better
Damn brother it's minus 30 today not including the windchill , some years I get lucky with outside if I start a super fast auto inside and put it outside may I get buds before snow, ill swing by I'm curious about this so called second wave of flower

Heavy Sativa's definitely finicky eaters and take forever to finish, or least in my experience. Seem to be slightly more prone to selfing (hermie) before they finish, and sometimes they won't go amber no matter how long you let them go. Bud structure different as they tend to not be as compact/tight, so coupled with the long flower time it's harder to find in Dispensaries as not as good a money maker due to extra time and end result on quantity/bag appeal.

First of all thanks for the informative reply brother! Learned alot in that little read! I was told the beans are 100% sativa I should of looked in to it a little harder, the breeder is ace seeds and they do claim 100% sativa , I did not know sativas are more nutrient sensitive, ill definitely will leaning off the Diablo feeding schedule slightly , to be honest I'm kinda amazed how different it is for growing a sativa I find it exciting, I will take your word and try to hit the 650ppm and feed more if she can handle it , I also find the reveg odd ?? They claim some kinda second wave of flowering ? How do you know when to chop ?
oh no you won’t have to go as low as 650. That was for a Thai landrace. I was putting those numbers up there to give a rough idea of where the range might be.

)And by the way I am using the .500 conversion scale- so for example by 1000 ppm I mean 2 EC) But the actual numbers matter less than just showing the relative levels.

I expect with your cross you’ll fall somewhere between 750 and 900 ppm. Depends how heavy the Panama influence is.
I don’t even know what growing methods you use actually. I was just trying to gI’ve an idea of the relative differences in feeding levels between a pure sativa (tall scrawny lanky very long flowering) vs a regular heavy feeding indica/cross.

The terms sativa and Indica are kind of debatable anyway. Some people even say there’s no such thing but I think they're handy terms. For all those hybrid mixes where the blurb says it’s ‘60% sativa and 40% indica’ and stuff like that- basically meaningless.

But there’s quite a difference between an Ethiopian landrace and an Afghan.

I’ll see if I can dig up that information from ACE but it’s been a long time so probably not. yes I know they changed it later to say pure sativa.

Don’t worry you won’t have trouble with growing or finishing that one unless you’re in a tiny space. Generally the Ace strains are fairly easily manageable, except the occasional oddball. As long as you know how to supercrop, a person can handle almost anything.

Heavy Sativa's definitely finicky eaters and take forever to finish, or least in my experience. Seem to be slightly more prone to selfing (hermie) before they finish, and sometimes they won't go amber no matter how long you let them go. Bud structure different as they tend to not be as compact/tight, so coupled with the long flower time it's harder to find in Dispensaries as not as good a money maker due to extra time and end result on quantity/bag appeal.
What can I do to help prevent hermie ? Seems like a real challenge I'm looking forward to , what size pot do you guys use with this sativa

oh no you won’t have to go as low as 650. That was for a Thai landrace. I was putting those numbers up there to give a rough idea of where the range might be.

)And by the way I am using the .500 conversion scale- so for example by 1000 ppm I mean 2 EC) But the actual numbers matter less than just showing the relative levels.

I expect with your cross you’ll fall somewhere between 750 and 900 ppm. Depends how heavy the Panama influence is.
I don’t even know what growing methods you use actually. I was just trying to gI’ve an idea of the relative differences in feeding levels between a pure sativa (tall scrawny lanky very long flowering) vs a regular heavy feeding indica/cross.

The terms sativa and Indica are kind of debatable anyway. Some people even say there’s no such thing but I think they're handy terms. For all those hybrid mixes where the blurb says it’s ‘60% sativa and 40% indica’ and stuff like that- basically meaningless.

But there’s quite a difference between an Ethiopian landrace and an Afghan.

I’ll see if I can dig up that information from ACE but it’s been a long time so probably not. yes I know they changed it later to say pure sativa.

Don’t worry you won’t have trouble with growing or finishing that one unless you’re in a tiny space. Generally the Ace strains are fairly easily manageable, except the occasional oddball. As long as you know how to supercrop, a person can handle almost anything.
I'll be growing the golden tiger x Panama in promox hp with Diablo nutrients , in 4x5 tent with high powered red spec led from budget and possibly a perfect sun led , I don't know how long to veg , I will probly lst and scrog ? I can adjust temp no problem

don't need no snow, only the cold

Ace Seeds has good descriptions of their strains, with general feeding requirements included....some of their sativa strains eat pretty heavy.
As for the 11/13 lighting schedule, the tropical sativas originate where the natural light period is close to 12/12 all year, so these will require a longer period of darkness to help trigger flower and express themselves closer to their potential.
Sativas will usually react really well to pruning, training etc....they don't slow down growth the way an Afghani might, you'll probably have to do it just to stop them from going crazy and growing into the lights.

Hi HashFart I'm HopHead. I was mentioned regarding growing sativa so if I can be of any help then I'm in. I'm no expert by any means but if I can share even one thing then I'm happy to help. I'm doing my 2nd sativa grow now and have no desire to go back to growing indicas anytime soon. I've been buying sativa varieties and storing them in the freezer until I get a chance to grow them. I love the sativa high and the aroma coming off my Malawi Gold. I don't have a lot of experience with sativas other than the 2 grows. Feel free to check out the grows in my signature and ask questions or make comments.
I would describe myself as a traditional organic gardener. I grow almost everything and have been gardening for many years both inside and out. Everybody has their own objectives and ways of doing things so I try and refrain from telling growers what they should do. They should do what they want. I try and convey what I would do in a similar situation as an option.
So, I like to do research before growing something I've never grown before. I try to find out as much as I can and write it down for reference. I also like to try and replicate the growing conditions of the plant's home. I figure the characteristics of a plant are a result of where it grew. So, if I want the same characteristics then the closer I can replicate the 'home' conditions then maybe I can come closer to the desired characteristics. I also take notes and keep a log. Doing a grow journal is great for keeping records.
Sativas generally speaking grow tall and that fact alone makes it challenging to grow indoors because there are usually height limitations. Sativas don't grow on a 18/6 schedule and then switch to a 12/12 schedule in their home. Like Weaselcracker stated the daylight only varies from maybe 11 to 13 hrs. over the span of a year. I agree with everything he said in his post. So, my sativa grow is 12/12 from start to finish. This helps to limit their height because they will start flowering the moment they are mature enough. My present Malawi grow started sexing (showing their sex) around day 50. They should be ready to harvest somewhere between 12 to 16 weeks later. They tend to stretch and stretch and stretch some more. In my first sativa grow I had 14 plants under a 430W HPS. In order to make that work I kept them in 2" pots for 40 days, 4" pots for 40 days and then I think the rest of the grow in 6" pots. Keeping them in small pots worked in keeping them small. My primary goal for that grow was harvesting seeds to build a seed bank. My present grow is for bud and to find out what the females will do in a 12" pot. I like to let the plants do what they want. I want to watch them grow naturally to learn about them.
As far as nutrients, I like to provide plants with a rich well balanced soil that will last the entire grow from start to finish and I just water. It makes it simple, the plants are healthy and the bud tastes great. For temperatures, humidity etc. I check my research I gathered. Hope this is useful. Cheers.

What can I do to help prevent hermie ? Seems like a real challenge I'm looking forward to , what size pot do you guys use with this sativa

Same as any, no real control over that one that I know of ;) :rofl:just seem to be more prone to it in my experience (more selfing a few than all out hermie like that Gold was in pics below). Had a Acapulco Gold hermie big time on me and as I caught it late I just let it go, didn't bother either lady next to it which was weird as it was full of seeds and never found one on the other two.

Middle plant on that Gold, one on the left is a Panama Red on the right one of my Blacks which more of a mix between Sativa and Indica but still leans heavy on Sativa side:

pics of the Red:

Back
Top Bottom